ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Minor to Moderate Snowfall Sunday (2/13) Morning; and a warm pattern for the 2nd half of Feb

Yeah, that would be perfect - when I was young and spent a lot of time in Philly (especially in my early 20s playing disc golf at Sedgley Woods in Fairmount Park) I always thought that area was part of Fairmount Park - in pre smart phone days, I thought anything along Kelly Drive was part of the park, lol.
Fairmount Park is huge but divided by the river and by private areas but most of it is the park. I love Central Park in NYC a lot but it pales in comparison to everything in and near Fairmount Park. A weird place to recommend along the the park is Laurel Hill Cemetery. Beautiful place. I grew up in Lavallette NJ and Admiral Lavallette is buried there. However it is still an active cemetery. Famous Phillies announcer Harry Kalas is buried there. His tombstone is a giant microphone with a row of seats from Veterans Stadium along side.

Fairmount Park is huge but divided by the river and by private areas but most of it is the park. I love Central Park in NYC a lot but it pales in comparison to everything in and near Fairmount Park. A weird place to recommend along the the park is Laurel Hill Cemetery. Beautiful place. I grew up in Lavallette NJ and Admiral Lavallette is buried there. However it is still an active cemetery. Famous Phillies announcer Harry Kalas is buried there. His tombstone is a giant microphone with a row of seats from Veterans Stadium along side.
I love both parks, but they're certainly very different. Having a river running through Fairmount is cooler than having a reservoir in Central and Fairmount has retained more "nature" probably because that area is much less densely populated than the area around Central, but I do love the Great Lawn and the Ramble in Central and there's no doubt more great museums and great restaurants on the borders of Central Park vs. Fairmount Park (and I'm very partial to both of those things).

I love both parks, but they're certainly very different. Having a river running through Fairmount is cooler than having a reservoir in Central and Fairmount has retained more "nature" probably because that area is much less densely populated than the area around Central, but I do love the Great Lawn and the Ramble in Central and there's no doubt more great museums and great restaurants on the borders of Central Park vs. Fairmount Park (and I'm very partial to both of those things).
Central Park as a park is mostly man-made crap. Poorly designed, poor use of land and topography, it's just ug. Could have been so much better.

Knowing the history of the park, you give a pass to those that initially planned and created it so long ago, but stewardship and management over the past 50 years has been pathetic.

Well, the original thread had a pattern discussion in it, so putting that back here, as we're about to enter the warm pattern for the 2nd half of February. There's not a below normal day in sight for the next 2 weeks and shots at 60F+ tomorrow and several days next week (Mon-Weds), plus no obvious snow threats south of about I-84 (and nothing major until one gets close to I-90).

The warministas should enjoy this, but winter looks like it will get one more shot at cold and snow in the first half of March if the long term models are correct, as there are strong indications of a pattern flip back to colder and possibly snowier than normal by early March, whereas 4-5 days ago it was looking like the warm pattern would continue through early March - but not enough confidence yet for a thread.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ormal-pattern-for-the-2nd-half-of-feb.235059/

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/2046-winter-21-22-weather-pattern-storm-threat-discussion/page/558/

After this threat and a couple of days of cold temps, we warm up by mid-next week and expect warmer than normal conditions from about mid-February through the end of the month (see the CPC graphic below), as a pattern flip is expected. It's expected we'll move from a pattern with jet stream going up and over a strong high over the Pac NW (keeping the west warm) and then diving down through the center of the country, carving out a large trough in the eastern 1/2 of the nation, with colder than normal temps, to a pattern with the trough over the west and a large southeastern ridge (high) over the eastern US, bringing warmth to the east. The long range ensemble forecasts also predict the development of an EPO+/AO+/PNA- pattern by the end of next week and that kind of pattern clearly favors above to well above normal temperatures in much of the eastern 1/3 of the country, including the NE US. None of this means snow can't happen during a pattern like this in February, but it's just a lot less likely.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/2046-winter-21-22-weather-pattern-storm-threat-discussion/page/553/

Qd7h0Jn.png

Edit (12/10/22):

Since I just posted about the upcoming likely cold and snowy pattern for the 2nd half of December, I realized I never closed the loop on this pattern prediction for warmer than normal and less snowy than normal conditions for 2/17 through 2/28 - the pattern verified quite well, with temps averaging about 6F above normal in New Brunswick, including 3 days over 60F and 2 record high temps (69F each) and with barely any snow (1/4"). Here's my running summary of pattern posts and outcomes over the past several years, featuring 9 of 10 temperature patterns verifying and 7 of 10 snowfall patterns verifying.
  • Warm/not snowy for 2nd half of Feb 2022: verified with 6F warmer than normal and 1/4" of snow in NB.
  • Cold/snowy for 2nd half of January 2022: was much colder than normal and much snowier than normal and much snowier than normal (8" of snow in New Brunswick)
  • Cold/snowy for 2nd half Feb 2021: was much colder/snowier than normal
  • Warm/not snowy Feb 2020: quite warm and no snow whole month
  • Cold/snowy for 2nd half of jan 2019: was cold, but well below normal snow
  • Cold/snowy for early April 2018: was cold/snowy (4" snow on 4/3)
  • Cold/snowy pattern for March 2018: was cold and very snowy in March 2018
  • Cold/snowy pattern for early Feb 2018: was cold, but little snow
  • Cold/snowy pattern for early Jan 2018: was cold, but little snow
  • Cold/snowy pattern for mid-March 2017 was cold and very snowy

Last edited:
Well, the original thread had a pattern discussion in it, so putting that back here, as we're about to enter the warm pattern for the 2nd half of February. There's not a below normal day in sight for the next 2 weeks and shots at 60F+ tomorrow and several days next week (Mon-Weds), plus no obvious snow threats south of about I-84 (and nothing major until one gets close to I-90).

The warministas should enjoy this, but winter looks like it will get one more shot at cold and snow in the first half of March if the long term models are correct, as there are strong indications of a pattern flip back to colder and possibly snowier than normal by early March, whereas 4-5 days ago it was looking like the warm pattern would continue through early March - but not enough confidence yet for a thread.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...ormal-pattern-for-the-2nd-half-of-feb.235059/

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/2046-winter-21-22-weather-pattern-storm-threat-discussion/page/558/

After this threat and a couple of days of cold temps, we warm up by mid-next week and expect warmer than normal conditions from about mid-February through the end of the month (see the CPC graphic below), as a pattern flip is expected. It's expected we'll move from a pattern with jet stream going up and over a strong high over the Pac NW (keeping the west warm) and then diving down through the center of the country, carving out a large trough in the eastern 1/2 of the nation, with colder than normal temps, to a pattern with the trough over the west and a large southeastern ridge (high) over the eastern US, bringing warmth to the east. The long range ensemble forecasts also predict the development of an EPO+/AO+/PNA- pattern by the end of next week and that kind of pattern clearly favors above to well above normal temperatures in much of the eastern 1/3 of the country, including the NE US. None of this means snow can't happen during a pattern like this in February, but it's just a lot less likely.

https://www.33andrain.com/topic/2046-winter-21-22-weather-pattern-storm-threat-discussion/page/553/

Qd7h0Jn.png
60 tomorrow and Friday, and high of 44/42 on Saturday/Sunday.
😡

Try retiring, like me - I get to enjoy any nice day, lol...
That's a complicated question right now. Have a love/hate relationship with work, but still want to ensure that I will be able to meaningfully fill my days without work there. With two kids still in college, work it will be for at least a few more years.

Reactions: RU848789
Try retiring, like me - I get to enjoy any nice day, lol...
A Rutgers meteorologist! She was tweeting about the Illinois hoops game. Perhaps @WhiteBus might be aware of her- she is on a Philly station, but a Spanish language station, so maybe not:

Reactions: RU848789
A Rutgers meteorologist! She was tweeting about the Illinois hoops game. Perhaps @WhiteBus might be aware of her- she is on a Philly station, but a Spanish language station, so maybe not:

Always nice to see RU grads doing well...

Reactions: Knight Shift
That's a complicated question right now. Have a love/hate relationship with work, but still want to ensure that I will be able to meaningfully fill my days without work there. With two kids still in college, work it will be for at least a few more years.
I always had a love-hate relationship with work. I enjoyed a lot of my work, but definitely got tired of working 50-60+ hours every week of every year and the pressure of moving so many projects very quickly through the pipeline, where our area was almost always on the critical path (scaling processes up is inherently difficult and time consuming). So, retirement has suited me well, so far, even though the first 18 months were spent consulting part-time with my old group - wasn't fully retired until this past June - and am still enjoying it - I have lots of hobbies, lol, and our son got a great job in June and he's loving it and crushing it, so that concern is gone.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT