ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jack Reacher disses Rutgers Law School!

Saw that dis last night.
Yikes
Agree still a fantastic series.

That's not cool by the writers.. wouldn't be surprised that the writers are from Syralose, Uconn, or Penn State type of schools...

Basic stuff like this is what hurts perception and creates a negative association with the school. Just a bunch of haters looking to make RU look less when in reality is one of the best in the country.

Season 2, Episode 3:

How can I be of service?
You went to law school, right?
Yeah. Rutgers, So... kind of.
What kind of lawyer are you?
The best the 91st-ranked law school in the country can produce.

Still like the series though….

Maybe he's met professor Brittney and just assumed the whole place was like her. I mean Rutgers does insist on keeping her on staff.

That's not cool by the writers.. wouldn't be surprised that the writers are from Syralose, Uconn, or Penn State type of schools...

Basic stuff like this is what hurts perception and creates a negative association with the school. Just a bunch of haters looking to make RU look less when in reality is one of the best in the country.

The school does a fine job embarrassing itself academically without having to blame Reacher. For the first reason see above.

The school does a fine job embarrassing itself academically without having to blame Reacher. For the first reason see above.
Not sure who Prof. Brittney is, but one or few professors opinions shouldn't be primary or secondary factor for a school academic reputation. I'm sure most schools have a few knuckleheads on staff talking nonsense , including the Harvards of the world, but that is part of academia.

Again, some writer or producer from a competing school or maybe a Rutgers grad who had a bad experience decided to take a jab at the school.

Anyway, Happy Holidays!

Sadly the law school used to be ranked pretty high. Back when Abrams ran the school it was about to really take off. RU screwed that up, Abrams called them on it, and was shown the door. Since then the school made a conscious decision to ignore the rankings. And it shows.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Not sure who Prof. Brittney is, but one or few professors opinions shouldn't be primary or secondary factor for a school academic reputation. I'm sure most schools have a few knuckleheads on staff talking nonsense , including the Harvards of the world, but that is part of academia.

Again, some writer or producer from a competing school or maybe a Rutgers grad who had a bad experience decided to take a jab at the school.

Anyway, Happy Holidays!

So overlook the decision of an institution to allow horrible things to be said? Interesting.

Unfortunately the latter two have higher ranked law schools than we do, despite being ranked lower overall and in most everything else. Cult moved their law school to campus and it went up in the rankings.

Unfortunately the latter two have higher ranked law schools than we do, despite being ranked lower overall and in most everything else. Cult moved their law school to campus and it went up in the rankings.
Holloway needs to do the same as Crappy Valley did. Consol Camden and Newark into NB as they can move them into one of the towers where the Hub is being built and I'd bet money it'd jump in rankings immediately past the clown colleges Sarah and Connie.

Nick Santora, the creator of the show, is from the area and wrote and produced for The Sopranos. He helped write this episode. Guaranteed they thought of the line and then looked up the school. It's definitely not someone out to just disrespect Rutgers.

In one of the early episodes of Suits there is a similar reference to Rutgers Law, why are we a target?
Exactly! lol... There are so many law school below us.. why us? lol

I suppose we can use the logic of better to be remember/any publicity is good publicity...

But to the point that others made, RU could significantly improve the school ranking /reputation if they wanted to but it seems is not a priority at this time, which is another missed opportunity by RU.

Nick Santora, the creator of the show, is from the area and wrote and produced for The Sopranos. He helped write this episode. Guaranteed they thought of the line and then looked up the school. It's definitely not someone out to just disrespect Rutgers.
I have read every Reacher book. That is definitely a TV writer add in.

To be fair that IS the only thing academically RU sucks at. Either consol Camden and Newark into New Brunswick and build it correctly or shut it down.
Shut it down. Can’t do everything. Take the money and increase budgets for other programs.

They were just funnin' around. There was a "Sarah Conner" mention to Robert Patrick.
My wife and I thought that was hilarious. Actually, rewound to make sure we heard what we just thought we heard. Like you said, I think they were just having fun as the episode took place mostly in NJ and Rutgers is the big University in the area and fits with the character.

Holloway needs to do the same as Crappy Valley did. Consol Camden and Newark into NB as they can move them into one of the towers where the Hub is being built and I'd bet money it'd jump in rankings immediately past the clown colleges Sarah and Connie.

It’s not about location. RU Newark used to be ranked in the 40s. It’s philosophical. They call it the “People’s Electric Law School.” They believe it’s their role to admit students who otherwise could not get in rather than simply taking the best students. And they put most of their resources into getting those students through the school to graduation. Until that changes the rankings will not improve wherever it’s located.

It’s not about location. RU Newark used to be ranked in the 40s. It’s philosophical. They call it the “People’s Electric Law School.” They believe it’s their role to admit students who otherwise could not get in rather than simply taking the best students. And they put most of their resources into getting those students through the school to graduation. Until that changes the rankings will not improve wherever it’s located.
So, admissions is DEI based?

So, admissions is DEI based?

It has been since before “DEI” was even a thing. It was called “MSP” for decades. Putting aside whether one believes in the merits of such an approach, it has indisputably tanked our ranking.

He was a lawyer and is much better at the Hollywood thing. Very funny guy who loves to bust balls.

It has been since before “DEI” was even a thing. It was called “MSP” for decades. Putting aside whether one believes in the merits of such an approach, it has indisputably tanked our ranking.

I am not sure this is the case post consolidation with Camden but it definitely had an effect before.

The bigger problems IMO are location (even though both Newark and Camden are better than they were, NB would still be better) and the fact that the other similarly ranked- or now higher ranked- schools like SHU and Temple throw out a lot of $$ to make their cost lower than RU.

Cuse law is lower and has been. After law schools became more regionalized decades ago, they never recovered as the upstate economy sank and SUNY Buffalo invested.

I am not sure this is the case post consolidation with Camden but it definitely had an effect before.

The bigger problems IMO are location (even though both Newark and Camden are better than they were, NB would still be better) and the fact that the other similarly ranked- or now higher ranked- schools like SHU and Temple throw out a lot of $$ to make their cost lower than RU.
I'm not so sure of that. Camden has made hugh strides in the past few years.

I'm not so sure of that. Camden has made hugh strides in the past few years.

Definitely but Camden still has a stigma attached and if RU isn't going to financially match what Temple is offering NJ students plus the fact Temple is ranked higher, it is a fruitless proposition.

I would care about this if I cared about the show, but I don’t.
I just happened to watch this for the first time last night. On a recommendation from my gf's friend.

I made it about 20 minutes in. Writing is lame. Lead actor is a dud.

RU Law-Newark was ranked 20-something by US News when I accepted and went there. A number of years after I left, it started to tank, dropping as low as RU Law-Camden had always been ranked. The MSP program was in effect when I went there, and yet the school was highly ranked. So it may be hard to make the case that that is the reason for the drop. I haven't analyzed it. But it's disappointing.

I just happened to watch this for the first time last night. On a recommendation from my gf's friend.

I made it about 20 minutes in. Writing is lame. Lead actor is a dud.
I never read the books so it's not my thing, but that's okay. I'm more of a non-fiction reader, but I need to expand beyond that. Probably missing some good stuff in fiction.

Definitely but Camden still has a stigma attached and if RU isn't going to financially match what Temple is offering NJ students plus the fact Temple is ranked higher, it is a fruitless proposition.
Possibly that is the perception but in reality Rutgers Camden Campus is a lot safer then Temple's and it's not even close.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I never read the books so it's not my thing, but that's okay. I'm more of a non-fiction reader, but I need to expand beyond that. Probably missing some good stuff in fiction.
But would that be a genre of fiction you would delve into?

RU Law-Newark was ranked 20-something by US News when I accepted and went there. A number of years after I left, it started to tank, dropping as low as RU Law-Camden had always been ranked. The MSP program was in effect when I went there, and yet the school was highly ranked. So it may be hard to make the case that that is the reason for the drop. I haven't analyzed it. But it's disappointing.
They changed the matrix at one point that made the MSP a larger factor in RU-Newark's ranking. But I concede it's unfair to attribute the current ranking solely to the MSP (or whatever similar program they currently have). As I understand, when Newark and Camden combined in 2015, they were around 60. They have since dropped like a rock. I understand that different schools have different missions, but with RU-NB undergrad now ranked #41 (and climbing) and the business school(s) being highly ranked, it's inexcusable for the law school(s) to be so poorly ranked.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT