ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kentucky's Harrison uses racial slur against Wisconsin player

I don't know anyone who talks to their kids that way. That is low grade behavior.

Some of you guys seriously destroy your credibility when you try these arguments that are so devoid of context and reality that its pathetic.

A white player saying "f*ck that n*gger" is so so much different than a black player saying what he did. If you can't see that, you should straight up stop participating in civil society BC you need an education on sociology among other things.

This is a non-story.

If I talk to my Italian friend (I'm also half Italian) and I say "I figured you'd love this place ya guinea bastard haha, its got great sauce"

is that the same as if I walk passed a Mexican restaurant and remark "bunch of f'n sp*cs"?? NO.

Hell its even dumber than that. Its like me calling a black guy a " guinea" makes no sense.

I personally think all this race and "homophobic" "slur" crap is blown way out of proportion by the media, unless accompanied by an act of discrimination, or made by a person in the public trust, ts all nonsense. People can say what they want.

But to pretend as if "f that n" is not part of a normal lexicon, but was a "racial" slur is just dumb as hell.

For the record I feel the same about "fag". If some kids are on the ball court and a straight dude says to a straight dude " you suck fag" I don't care at all. I could not be less concerned. (Althogh this garbage media is)

BUT if a straight guy walks up to a gay coworker and says "stop talking that way you f'n f*ggot" that's a problem

This is basic common sense. Try and use it.

Originally posted by IL Lusciato:
Some of you guys seriously destroy your credibility when you try these arguments that are so devoid of context and reality that its pathetic.

A white player saying "f*ck that n*gger" is so so much different than a black player saying what he did. If you can't see that, you should straight up stop participating in civil society BC you need an education on sociology among other things.

This is a non-story.

If I talk to my Italian friend (I'm also half Italian) and I say "I figured you'd love this place ya guinea bastard haha, its got great sauce"

is that the same as if I walk passed a Mexican restaurant and remark "bunch of f'n sp*cs"?? NO.

Hell its even dumber than that. Its like me calling a black guy a " guinea" makes no sense.

I personally think all this race and "homophobic" "slur" crap is blown way out of proportion by the media, unless accompanied by an act of discrimination, or made by a person in the public trust, ts all nonsense. People can say what they want.

But to pretend as if "f that n" is not part of a normal lexicon, but was a "racial" slur is just dumb as hell.

For the record I feel the same about "fag". If some kids are on the ball court and a straight dude says to a straight dude " you suck fag" I don't care at all. I could not be less concerned. (Althogh this garbage media is)

BUT if a straight guy walks up to a gay coworker and says "stop talking that way you f'n f*ggot" that's a problem

This is where you are totally clueless! This was not two guys horsing around. This was an under the breath mean spirited comment about Kaminsky not to Kaminsky, that was caught on a mic. It is a story and one he had to apologize for.

Watch the video and you'll see that your analogy has zero common sense.

This is a non-story.

Not sure who this is directed to, but I never said they are the same, and I never said Harrison used it as "a racial slur."

All I'm saying, as I've said in numerous posts already..it SHOULDN'T be different. I gets it's different, but it shouldn't be. Should be offensive or non-offensive (whatever your opinion) when coming from anyone. Color of skin shouldn't matter.

Words are only words. We should not give them power that they do not have. However, when one race in America is allowed to freely speak any words they choose while all other races are condemned for speaking the same words, then something is seriously wrong with our society. If you cannot see that, then you are very naive.

It was meant as an insult, against a person of a different race, and was said in a public setting. Hence it is a big deal.

I wonder if Harrison mumbles the same thing when Frank The Tank gets drafted in the top ten slots of the NBA draft; as he waits for his own phone to ring in the 2nd round.

He APOLOGIZED.

Kaminsky accepted.

Its over.

Let this be an example for when things go the other way. Maybe if, as a nation of AMERICANS, we can start accepting apologies and let stuff go we can get beyond all this GOTCHA crap.

We're about to go through another Presidential election cycle in this new "social network" age. I, for one, can do without the combing through of everything ever uttered by everyone working on these campaigns to figure out who has hired people who once said something poorly and can be painted as racists and sexists and bigots..

Let's let it go and hope for the best.

This is a non-story.

Well said. To not understand the historical context of the discussion is simply ignorant. Sure, he should not have said it - it was dumb and mean-spirited, but we're only 50 years removed from "separate but equal" and still have a long way to go before race doesn't matter any more (despite things being way better than 50 years ago - we're not there yet).

As GOR said, I like the fact that the two guys involved have talked and resolved the issue.

Based on the context here I don't see the racist implication....stupid but not racist.

I'm Italian-American and it's different if a friend says "that shirt makes you look like a guido" versus someone who I don't know calling me that...

It's not certain words for certain races, more like it's certain words for certain situations (ie, you might tell your friend he looks fat but not your wife/gf).

Originally posted by bac2therac:
Lots of excuse making for a double standard
Can you please explain the double standard.

It has been stated time and time again that is it an insult no matter who says it and no matter who it is being said to.

Also, it is common sense that it could only be taken as a racist if someone says it to or a referring to a black person since it is a racist slur towards black people.

So, once again, where is the double standard?

Like i said earlier would it be a story if he mumbled "man fck that idiot" under his breathe and caught on microphone??

What if reporter asked about Kaminksky and Harrison response was in a smiling friendly tone "oh Frank, thats my nigga!

Its a joke that people get so uptight about when A is used... Its all over hip hop songs... Jay-z has a song "all my niggas" Bobby Schmurda has a song "hot nigga" if it is so offensive how are these songs released and played on the radio...

I hear lots of white people say A all the time in a non-racist way... Black people get upset and that is pathetic...because A is used so commonly they have become two different words in a sense and if you dont like it dont use it yourself...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

He was denigrating Kaminsky...if kaminsky chose to denigrate him by using that word the world would be up in arms.....you people are too caught up in the idea that its ok for blacks to use it...Harrison used the word with the intent to denigrate.. thats the key here

He was denigrating Kaminsky...if kaminsky chose to denigrate him by using that word the world would be up in arms.....you people are too caught up in the idea that its ok for blacks to use it...Harrison used the word with the intent to denigrate.. thats the key here
Couldn't agree more. The fact people don't see this is crazy. HUGE story if white person uses it...ehh, not huge deal if black person uses the word...that is a double standard.

He wasnt using THAT word to denigrate him, it was the F*ck earlier... The A just happened to be the noun he used...

If he said "f*ck that guy" is it a story?

Or if he said "thats my n*gga" is it a story...

Being that the term is commonly used among people i wonder how many other times it has been said to journalists and reporters

Like always
fighting0030.r191677.gif

mad0007.r191677.gif

fighting0012.r191677.gif

fighting0015.r191677.gif

Yes Madhat...

Divide and Conquer

Its all a brainwashing, distraction tool

Divide the masses and you can control the masses

What do you want to happen to Harrison? I don't know anyone who thinks what Harrison did is ok. He apologized and Frank accepted? Remember when Riley Cooper got caught with the same word? Didn't he get to go back to work and not miss any playing time?

As others have already stated in the thread... Its ok coming from Harrison but not if Kaminksky said it about Harrison.

The biggest problem I have with this is the fact that a scrub like Stephen A Smith always plays the race card on every single topic, but quickly dismissed this as a non issue because Harrison apologized. If Kaminsky used that word and then apologized would it be ok?

If you guys want to see this double standard issue as laid out in a TV Drama.. pick up on "American Crime". I suspect it is the typical enlightened liberals drivel.. but they have a story thread going on how a white man and his wife (sounds like yuppies but also screwed up.. drug dealing and promiscuous sex involved).. anyway.. this couple gets murdered in their home and it looks like the shooter is black (though I have my doubts as a random viewer).

The right-wing mother of the man is a real unsympathetic conservative who has a problem with "those people"... and an emmy winning actress. S she is really laying it on thick. She goes on full assault to keep attention in the media so the prosecution will be pressured into getting "justice" for her son. Part of that campaign involves pushing for this to be a bias crime because the shooter has a history of anti-white racist comments (oh, and his seriously drug addicted girlfriend is a white blond daddys girl).

imho.. real life versions of this are ongoing in New Jersey and elsewhere and that is where attention should be spent rather than some words with no underlying crime.

There was a case in Ocean County not too long ago. Some black dude (with a long record) in a Wawa came onto a white chick (in a Wawa) who rejected him and he began to abuse her. Got into a fight with girls boyfriend then.. the white couple used racial slurs during the fight. Another white guy jumped in to defend his friend.

Cops came. They found the black guy hiding in a shopping center parking lot down the road... his ride ditched him when he started the fight. Both parties said they would not press charges. Months later, the Ocean County prosecutor decided he needed a BIAS crime prosecution against white guy on his record and chose to prosecute.

The couple that slung the slurs made a deal right away. their friend that came to their aid was then stuck looking at a guilty plea or risk a MANDATORY 20 year sentence if convicted. He did jail time. Store video showed him break a coffee pot over the black dude's head. Hot coffee. Couldn't risk a trial. Without the BIAS crime 20 year thing hanging over his head he could have went to trial.

As I said.. black guy long record of assaults like this. White guy.. clean record. White guy didn't utter one racial slur. his friends did.

There are real issues involving a double-standard for bias crimes out there. This Harrison thing is nothing.

A black guy using a racial epithet aimed at other blacks when referencing a white basketball player isn't a big deal. The fact that this story is quickly fading into the background is evidence of this. I mean, who is offended by this? Blacks or whites?

And double-standards exist. If I grab a female co-workers breasts that likely means the end of my career, certainly at my current company. If she grabs my butt, she may end up in trouble but it's probably a very different outcome. And before people start telling me that's not a perfect analogy, I'm simply illustrating that double-standards exist.

Originally posted by Spare130:

As others have already stated in the thread... Its ok coming from Harrison but not if Kaminksky said it about Harrison.

The biggest problem I have with this is the fact that a scrub like Stephen A Smith always plays the race card on every single topic, but quickly dismissed this as a non issue because Harrison apologized. If Kaminsky used that word and then apologized would it be ok?
It is NOT ok, that is why he apologized.

However, no one thinks he was trying to be racist when he said it, insulting, yes, but not racist.

Why is this so hard to understand for some folks here?

I am starting to sound like a broken record....

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:

However, no one thinks he was trying to be racist when he said it, insulting, yes, but not racist.

If a white person said it to a white person..would you say its racist? Can a white person use the word and not be "racist"?

Originally posted by mikemarc1:

If a white person said it to a white person..would you say its racist? Can a white person use the word and not be "racist"?
sure, if a white person called another white person the N word, it would not be considered racist. Stupid yes, racist, no.

sure, if a white person called another white person the N word, it would not be considered racist. Stupid yes, racist, no.
I'm pretty sure people would call him a racist. The comment itself wouldn't be racist..but a white guy using the word is racist to alot of people.

Is this really an argument? If it's not clear to you why it's ok for him to say that and not a white player I don't know what world you live in. As someone else said it's the F*%k part that caused the issue. If he said "F&%k that guy" the response would have been similar. And yes if the Wisconsin player had said it, it would be considered racist and probably got him suspended. It's currently socially acceptable for black people to use the word. Right or wrong that's currently the way it is. It's not racist to call a white guy that for obvious reasons. Don't really understand what's difficult to comprehend here.

I'm pretty sure people would call him a racist. The comment itself wouldn't be racist..but a white guy using the word is racist to alot of people.
Knee jerk reaction maybe, but once people realized it was two white people taking to each other about each other, it would just die down quickly. In hip hop culture, it happens all of the time and not considered a big deal. I have heard Asians, Latinos, and Indians use it to describe all kinds of people.

I don't like the word, and I wish it was never used by anyone, but it is what it is. Just use common sense.

Knee jerk reaction maybe, but once people realized it was two white people taking to each other about each other, it would just die down quickly. In hip hop culture, it happens all of the time and not considered a big deal. I have heard Asians, Latinos, and Indians use it to describe all kinds of people.

I don't like the word, and I wish it was never used by anyone, but it is what it is. Just use common sense.
That we can agree on. Either no one should be allowed to use it, or we all should be allowed to use it without repercussions.

I'll go with the first.

Originally posted by hinson32:
It was a black person calling a white person the N word.
For it to equal Kaminsky would have had to call Harrison a Honkey.
honkey is not very offensive, how about gringo or giajin? (try going to Japan if you don't know what "giajin" means :) )

the whole think is ridiculous ... we should be upset because a white guy was called a bad name for black guys ?? the whole thing doesn't even make any sense.

Lots of excuse making for a double standard
Can you please explain the double standard.

It has been stated time and time again that is it an insult no matter who says it and no matter who it is being said to.

Also, it is common sense that it could only be taken as a racist if someone says it to or a referring to a black person since it is a racist slur towards black people.

So, once again, where is the double standard?
Exactly - it completely boggles my mind that people think the situations would be identical if Kaminsy said the same thing about Harrison, and that there is some "double standard" in place - as you said, the n-word is, by definition a word used by whites for centuries to denigrate and dehumanize blacks. Way too many people around here conflate dislike with racism. I'm sure there are plenty of black folks who dislike white folks for the role whites played over hundreds of years in slavery, then segregation and most recently in simply denying full rights and opportunities to blacks.

I don't think whites as a socioeconomic group have suffered as a result, unlike some blacks have, due to systemic racism (where whites often denied blacks equal opportunities) which was in place for a long time, although it has clearly receded significantly over the past 25+ years. Despite many white folks (mostly conservatives) claiming that we're "past racism," that's complete bullshit - things are way better, yes, but racism isn't gone.

Oh Good God!!! Blacks will always want to be victims What more do you want? You are all equal and in some case more than equal to whites. We even have a God Damn black president for Christ shake!!! What more do you want??!! My family was not here in America when slavery was here. My family had no part in slavery. Besides, black were not the only slaves in the world. There were many other races who were slaves at one time in history. The blacks are the only cry babies about what their ancient ancestries may have experienced. Not them personall. Blacks sold other blacks into slavery. This is really getting old. I am really getting sick and tired of every white person in America being blamed for slavery, real or imagined. Grow up!! Put on your big boy pants sand MOVE ON!!!!

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

Originally posted by RUMountie:

Originally posted by RUMountie:
This might be news to some of you but Harrison's comment might have been a compliment and there
are some white folks (especially high level basketball players who are white) who would take a comment like that as a compliment of the highest order. I didn't see Harrison say what he said and I don't know the nature of his relationship with Kaminsky so it is hard to know how it was meant (certainily could have been a straight out racist insult in a weird kinda way). It's not so simple to classify Harrison's comments as mean spirited and racist the way we would if the situation was reversed, epecially with this younger generation's experience of the N word as compared to us older folks (I am about 50).
Wow. So now calling someone the n-word is a compliment?!?!?!?! Ridiculous.

If Kaminsky takes that as a compliment, and Harrison meant it as a compliment, then that words going to be used much, much more by white kids..
Yes, now you've got it. Do you listen to much of the current music that kids listen to? Do you spend much time around kids?
Children today generally have not seen or had the experiences with the N word that many older folks have had so they
don't attach the evil meanings to it. Many see it as a term of endearment.
Then your saying if Kaminsky said that about Harrison, you wouldn't have a problem? You'd attribute it to him giving Harrison a compliment?

Either way, there would be a HUGE uproar over it..and shouldn't be a double standard is all I'm saying.
Double standard? Maybe you haven't been paying attention to this Race Thing going on.
I understand there's some racist people..and I've been paying attention to what's going on. But when you allow one person to say F that N...and if another person says it and its not allowable..thats a double standard, no? I'm a white person, so I have no idea the impact of the word..But if it is so offensive, no one should be allowed to say it. That's all i'm arguing.
Totally agree. However there's a significant percentage of the population that thinks only White folks can be racist. That is the double standard to which I am referring.

Originally posted by WhiteBus:

If someone can't tell the difference then they have some serious issues.

It shouldn't be that difficult.
Huh what?? Difference. So it's ok to say "Fu#k that Ni$$a" ?? If your one color talking about another it's ok but not ok if the role was reversed?

If there is a difference than why did Harrison apologize? He knew it was a racial slur and he knew he was wrong.
It is not a racial slur when used against non-blacks, but it is still an insult. That is why he apologize. It is NOT OK for him to say that, but it still doesn't make it racist.

I hope you understand what I meant now.
A word that is ok to be used by only one race but is deemed derogatory by those same people who use it when it is used by everyone else is racist. I understand the culture today but not all people are comfortable with the word no matter who uses. The NAACP went out of their way to "bury" the term in 2007 but failed.
Ok, so you still don't get it.

Let me try again..

It is an INSULT no matter who uses it when used in that matter against ANYONE.

However, it is only considered a racial slur when used against black people.

I hope that makes it clearer.
That's some mighty fine hair splitting there, my ni$$a.

This is a non-story.

This is where you are totally clueless! This was not two guys horsing around. This was an under the breath mean spirited comment about Kaminsky not to Kaminsky, that was caught on a mic. It is a story and one he had to apologize for.

Watch the video and you'll see that your analogy has zero common sense.
Reality isn't I L's strong suit.

Originally posted by RUnumber1:
Oh Good God!!! Blacks will always want to be victims What more do you want? You are all equal and in some case more than equal to whites. We even have a God Damn black president for Christ shake!!! What more do you want??!! My family was not here in America when slavery was here. My family had no part in slavery. Besides, black were not the only slaves in the world. There were many other races who were slaves at one time in history. The blacks are the only cry babies about what their ancient ancestries may have experienced. Not them personall. Blacks sold other blacks into slavery. This is really getting old. I am really getting sick and tired of every white person in America being blamed for slavery, real or imagined. Grow up!! Put on your big boy pants sand MOVE ON!!!!
ATTENTION: *** racist alert *** racist alert **** racist alert ***

we now return to our regular programming

Originally posted by RutgersROB:
Riley Cooper did not use the same word !!!!! Clearly he said ER which is a racial slur....n*gga is not
Go up to a random black guy on the street and say "Hello my Nigga." and post what happens. Honestly.

Totally agree. However there's a significant percentage of the population that thinks only White folks can be racist. That is the double standard to which I am referring.
Well that is not true, anyone can be racist.

Racism is just stupid. Really, really dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT