ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Jersey Devils '17-18 thread.......

Yeah, Newark is a hotbed of hockey fandom! :)

You realize you're (purportedly) a Rutgers football fan right, but making many of the same points that Penn State uses in discussing Rutgers?

Rhetorical question.... obviously, you don't.

Reactions: Kenetr
Relax, your 2.5 cups are long past. Try to make the playoffs first.

Haha Rangers fans have a massive inferiority complex. They have all the resources, a huge fanbase and look what they've gotten from it.. 1 Cup since WWII. That could be the most pathetic streak in pro sports, and deep down their fans know that. It's hard for it to not be a big source of personal embarrassment for Rangers fans, especially those in NJ that are intimated by the Devils.

They also know the Devils are up and coming and their team continually spins their wheels.. never quite good enough to contend for that ever elusive Cup. This thought process is part of their DNA.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Why do non-devils fan enter a thread clearly labeled Devils? I guess being annoying in weather threads is not enough.

Anyway all the douche Ranger non-sense aside so far Devils look like an exciting young team that with actual talent that has been missing for some time. The development of the young defenseman will be key (Butcher, Mueller, Severson). Hopefully Bratt maintains and they dont send him to his Junior team.

I will agree with everyone that has ragged on the Devils for a long time...offensive hockey is more fun to watch.
And I bet the decision makers in the NHL agree with that too.

I believe in the old adage that defense wins championships. But if you’re not going to raise the Cup IMO it’s more important to light the lamp to get more butts in the seats and more fans overall.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Absolute embarrassment to everyone on this board that we can't have a normal thread where guys and gals who are Rutgers and Devils can talk about another one of their favorite teams. Create and Rangers thread and make fun of the Devils there.

Truly is disappointing and nauseating that people can't just talk hockey, or Mets or Yankees without the dopey insults back and forth . The incessant need to be a douche bag is childish and annoying.

BTW The King with no ring. Let's go Devils.

Relax, your 2.5 cups are long past. Try to make the playoffs first.
Rangers will fail once again as they always do! How many cups have the rags won with this many teams in the league..... one? They are a laughing stock of an organization! If they did not have the n.y.c. media on their side shoving B.S. down peoples pieholes about how great their organization is no on would go to their games. That's it keep drinking the koolaid.

6 playoff series:
4 wins for NYR
2 wins for Newark Devils
And that got the rags what? And you are only as good as your last series ......sooooooo.....I guess the rags SUCK! Ohhh The Devils have swept the rags in the playoffs. Rags never swept the Devils! HA!

Reactions: RutgersSam
BTW The King with no ring. Let's go Devils.

went-to-lundqvist-house-to-have-a-drink-no-cups.jpg

I believe in the old adage that defense wins championships. But if you’re not going to raise the Cup IMO it’s more important to light the lamp to get more butts in the seats and more fans overall.
Maybe in hindsight, but not coach at any level, let alone the pros, is ever going to adopt the philosophy of "we aren't good enough to win the championship, so let's make these games fun to watch."

The Devils were criticized for being boring even in the 2000-01 season when they led the league in goals scored. I don't really buy the argument that your style of play gets more fans in the seats anyway. Winning games is what gets your fans to buy tickets. Most fans would rather see their team win in any fashion than watch them lose a bunch of exciting games. I would much rather watch a "boring" hockey game than the most exciting basketball or baseball game any day.

Reactions: goru1869
All those Cups and you still act/know they are the Little Brother to both the Rangers and Flyers!

Maybe in hindsight, but not coach at any level, let alone the pros, is ever going to adopt the philosophy of "we aren't good enough to win the championship, so let's make these games fun to watch."

The Devils were criticized for being boring even in the 2000-01 season when they led the league in goals scored. I don't really buy the argument that your style of play gets more fans in the seats anyway. Winning games is what gets your fans to buy tickets. Most fans would rather see their team win in any fashion than watch them lose a bunch of exciting games. I would much rather watch a "boring" hockey game than the most exciting basketball or baseball game any day.
I wasn’t talking about coaches. More along the lines of the executives in the league who deal with TV.

And I wasn’t saying it’s an all or nothing approach either. Winning games mean you scored more than your opponent whether it’s 1-0 or 8-5. IMO the latter is an easier sell to TV and the casual fan than the former.

Last edited:
That’s true.

I liken it to the way lacrosse expanded in NJ from just the northern part of the state and prep schools to almost all over now.

Same thing in hockey but much more expensive.

Whether the new players to the sport become Devils fans is yet to be determined though.
Devils won't get all of them, but they will get a good %.
If they can build around the young kids and maintain the style they have played with thus far (admittedly very early in the season), they will become Devil fans.

If they can win and be exciting at the same time, the fanbase #'s will jump considerably.

Getting the #1 helps too. It wasn't a week after the draft when I saw a Devils hat with #13 on it.

I have noticed in almost every rink in NJ I have been in, the Devils have a "presence."
IMO it should be more. You have your target audience concentrated at these rinks, this is where I would put a decent portion of my advertising dollars. Instead I see a couple fat heads and a Devils insignia on the boards. It's something, but it should be more.

The Devils were slow to evolve. IMO the
IMO it should be more. You have your target audience concentrated at these rinks, this is where I would put a decent portion of my advertising dollars. Instead I see a couple fat heads and a Devils insignia on the boards. It's something, but it should be more.
unless you know that the folks at a rink are already hockey fans and you're preaching to the choir.

Devils looking good. No jinx.

Get your future bets in now. Devils 75:1 to win the Eastern Conference. Crazier things have happened. Zajac should be back around mid season.

Solid win tonight over a good Leafs team. Things are looking up for this year, beat the bad teams convincingly, beat a good team convincingly, way too early but looking better than expected.

Devils looking good. No jinx.

Get your future bets in now. Devils 75:1 to win the Eastern Conference. Crazier things have happened. Zajac should be back around mid season.
Maybe even before that. The original 4-6 month prognosis could have him back in December.

I do wonder where he fits on the current team. Not a fast attacking player, but certainly a very good defensive center. I think he slots in as a 3rd liner who get's more minutes late in games when we have a lead.

Last edited:
The team is young, fast and exciting for the first time in 5 years.

Worst case scenario the team is fun to watch.

Best case scenario they make the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.

Washington and NY next, a true test. Win 1 of 2 and I think they are off to a great start.

The team is young, fast and exciting for the first time in 5 years.

Worst case scenario the team is fun to watch.

Best case scenario they make the playoffs for the first time in 5 years.

Washington and NY next, a true test. Win 1 of 2 and I think they are off to a great start.

I'll gladly take a split, but if I had to choose, I'd like the win to come Saturday. If it doesn't, you know that dirty Rangers fans are gonna ignore the fact they are in last place and swamp this thread with more baseless insults.

Reactions: ntlrock1
Oh and since once again we have Rangers fans trying to discredit 1995, I'll rehash an actual detailed comparison between the Rangers' Cups and the Devils' Cups...

Apparently for a Stanley Cup to count as one whole Cup, you have to play an 82-game regular season and then win 16 playoff games. The Devils have 2.5, so let's apply this rule to determine how many the Rangers have...

In 1940, the NHL season was 48 games long (oh look at that, same length as 1995), and the Rangers had to win 8 games to win the Cup, half as many as was required in all of the Devils' Cups, so with 1995 being half a Cup, 1940 must be less than half.

In 1933, the NHL season was 48 games long, and the Rangers had to win two two-game series and then pick up 3 wins in the final to win the Cup, so 1933 must be even less than 1940.

In 1928, the NHL season was 44 games long, and the Rangers had to win two two-game series and then pick up 3 wins in the final, so 1928 must be even less than 1933.

We now add their whole cup from 1994 to their less-than-half Cup in 1940, their less-than-1940 Cup in 1933, and their less-than-1933 Cup in 1928 to reach a total of something slightly less than 2.5, so the Devils, despite giving the Rangers a 48-year head start, during most of which there were only about five or six other possible champions since the league was so small, actually have more Stanley Cups than the Rangers do. Thank you, Rangers fans, for pointing out that not all Cups are worth the same.

Dude you either copied that from somewhere or you have too much time on your hands. But thanks for pointing that out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT