ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Music (Released January 2020 or Later)

Not sure if this was posted already. Heard this yesterday from Iron Maiden as I was driving up from Virginia:

Not sure if this was posted already. Heard this yesterday from Iron Maiden as I was driving up from Virginia:

I’m not really into the “Heavy Metal” scene. I have some Metallica stuff, I’m more of a roots based rock guy who also loves classic Soul and R&B, Country Rock, some Jazz and of course Blues Rock. I know this band is considered a titan among Heavy Metal folks. i have questions, what makes this band “Heavy Metal”? This particular song is blues based rock music. I think the playing on here is very good, I don’t think the vocalist is that good. He is ok. I’m just interested in knowing what brings people to consider themselves “Metal” fans? Is it more about “attitude” or some other thing? I don’t think anyone is reinventing the musical wheel here.

I’m not really into the “Heavy Metal” scene. I have some Metallica stuff, I’m more of a roots based rock guy who also loves classic Soul and R&B, Country Rock, some Jazz and of course Blues Rock. I know this band is considered a titan among Heavy Metal folks. i have questions, what makes this band “Heavy Metal”? This particular song is blues based rock music. I think the playing on here is very good, I don’t think the vocalist is that good. He is ok. I’m just interested in knowing what brings people to consider themselves “Metal” fans? Is it more about “attitude” or some other thing? I don’t think anyone is reinventing the musical wheel here.
Complicated question. I always viewed Maiden and Judas Priest as hard rock, which is more guitar and more higher pitched and/or screaming or urgent vocal style.

Lemmy always used to say Motorhead played rock and roll. He liked Chuck Berry and Little Richard.

Metallica was one of the first thrash or speed metal bands to break big. Slayer was another. So was Exodus. And Anthrax. With thrash or speed metal, there is a definite tempo difference and aggressiveness to the music.

One of my favorite hard rock bands is Corrosion of Conformity. They mix elements of Southern rock like LS and the Allmans with punk and metal.

Clutch is another band that gets lumped in with heavy metal, but I view Clutch as industrial strength hard blues rock.

There are so many metal genres and sub genres it gets confusing.

For me, it is all hard rock, which is loud and aggressive.

Shhh. Don't say that to Maiden fans. Iron Maiden was one of the early metal bands that got all into speed riffs and drums. So they helped move the genre in a different direction. Metal has moved on from that era into a bunch of subgenres. Personally, as a pseudo metalhead, right now I'm into low tuned, heavily distorted guitar riffs and more progressive polyrhythms and composition than I am straightforward nu metal or even power metal. See: Gojira, Meshuggah, Jinjer. Not to say that I don't love metallica or megadeth, but that's just where I am at the moment.

I'm not really a Heavy Metal guy, but I kind of liked that song.

I’m not usually into pop music but this young lady is incredible. Morissette Amon, aka Asia’s Phoenix

Reactions: Jm0513

Debuted at #3 on Billboard.

@mdh2003 -what do you think of the new album?

Debuted at #3 on Billboard.

@mdh2003 -what do you think of the new album?

Hey KS, I’ve only had one full pass through the entire album, and a few song one offs. My initial thoughts:

Not for the faint of heart. First just the length, total of 10 songs avg 8min, and the last 3 of them over 10mins! It’s a lot to take in. Plus, this is complicated, intricate music. IM has been moving in this direction for many years now. Those 3-4 min heavy hitters, like Run to Hills/Number of the Beast/Trooper/Wasted Years/Powerslave? Those are long gone. But the faint traces of their memories are there, however, you need to look for them. This album, like many interesting pieces of art, makes you work for it. This is a not a shot and a beer. This is a fine proggy claret. To be slowly sipped and let the layers wash over you. Like a vintage wine, it also needs to open up a bit. More plays will undoubtedly do that. But, you gotta be ready to put in the effort. It asks a lot from the listener. So far, the journey is well worth it.

Hey KS, I’ve only had one full pass through the entire album, and a few song one offs. My initial thoughts:

Not for the faint of heart. First just the length, total of 10 songs avg 8min, and the last 3 of them over 10mins! It’s a lot to take in. Plus, this is complicated, intricate music. IM has been moving in this direction for many years now. Those 3-4 min heavy hitters, like Run to Hills/Number of the Beast/Trooper/Wasted Years/Powerslave? Those are long gone. But the faint traces of their memories are there, however, you need to look for them. This album, like many interesting pieces of art, makes you work for it. This is a not a shot and a beer. This is a fine proggy claret. To be slowly sipped and let the layers wash over you. Like a vintage wine, it also needs to open up a bit. More plays will undoubtedly do that. But, you gotta be ready to put in the effort. It asks a lot from the listener. So far, the journey is well worth it.
I think the new album is a very comfortable album. It's not pushing boundaries or anything...obviously, with their age and their achievements, they don't really have any need to explore new ground to any great extent. there are quite a few spots where the riffs are rehashes of some of their prior work. just a solid ballad-y album.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Verve Pipe....this group was criminally underrated in the late 90s and early 2000s. Big hit was the The Freshmen but they had many other as well. Did a live stream event yesterday with a couple new songs...this one really impressive

"What Might Have Been"

cued up

Been hearing this one on the radio recently, really digging it. Ben Harper and Ziggy Marley, haven't dug into the album yet. Edit: I guess there is no album?

Harper also did a collaboration with harmonica player Charlie Musselwhite a few years back that I really liked.

Last edited:
For anyone that was alive during the 1960s or likes the music, especially the protest songs. John Ondrasik, the lead singer of Five for Fighting released a new song called Blood on my Hands.

I won’t post it here because it is political, but if interested in hearing it go to YouTube for the song.

For anyone that was alive during the 1960s or likes the music, especially the protest songs. John Ondrasik, the lead singer of Five for Fighting released a new song called Blood on my Hands.

I won’t post it here because it is political, but if interested in hearing it go to YouTube for the song.
You sure his band was not "The Five" for Fighting? 😉
Much of Rock n Roll is born in protest music. Some of us don't see it as political at all. Some of us have never supported the infinite war(s) spawned and propagated by both parties and cheered on my the military-industrial complex. Speaking out in art and music is making a statement and a form of protest.

War Pigs is a classic song about the military industrial complex.
One by Metallica is another great anti-war song.

So are Infinite War and Dirty Hands Empty Pockets/Already Gone about the Iraq and Afghanistan incursions.

There's a righteous fool among the weak
Where a fallen man is bitter sweet
And with his soul he defecates
Into this world he filled with hate
All your lies have turned to logic
And you got nothing in your pocket

Who? You!

The truth is hard to find
When you got survival on your mind
If you promise not to tattle
I'll bring your son back home from battle
And keep you floating on your feet
So you feel alive, but your really asleep

Who? You!

You observed it from the start
Now you're a million miles apart
As we bleed another nation
So you can watch you favorite station
Now you eyes pop out your sockets
Dirty hands and empty pockets

Who? You!

Homemade deception now a source of pride
You can take all you want, old lady 'cause God knows I've tried
Truth be known it was never shown
Run like hell it comes as no surprise
One day you will see what it feels like to be free
Remember me when you're safe at home
I'm already gone!
Yes, sir!

The man said we're gonna do it alone
We're gonna give it to him till they bleed
Gonna laid it on 'em til they're gone
Then give them everything they need

Truth be shown, future stays unknown
Give 'em hell every single time
One day you will see when you're six feet down like me
Yes sir! I'm already gone!

"Attention"
"Fire when ready"
"Kill that son of a bitch"
"Get up"

Get on, get on, get on, get up
Get on, gonna lock and load
Gonna give it to 'em when they're hazy
Get on, lay your mothers down
Gonna give it to 'em till they're crazy

I'm already gone! Yes sir!

Reactions: MadRU
Much of Rock n Roll is born in protest music. Some of us don't see it as political at all. Some of us have never supported the infinite war(s) spawned and propagated by both parties and cheered on my the military-industrial complex. Speaking out in art and music is making a statement and a form of protest.

So are Infinite War and Dirty Hands Empty Pockets/Already Gone about the Iraq and Afghanistan incursions.

Who? You!

Who? You!

Who? You!

I'm already gone!
Yes, sir!

"Attention"
"Fire when ready"
"Get up"

But some here do. I rather keep this thread going, that’s why I chose not to link it here. People that are interested can find it on YouTube.

But some here do. I rather keep this thread going, that’s why I chose not to link it here. People that are interested can find it on YouTube.
Respect your position and your willingness to not derail the thread.
If you haven't figured it out, I am more into hard rock and metal, and to me, there is nothing better than a rollicking war protest song. I don't see them as political, but has humanitarian.

Reactions: MadRU

Who? You!

Who? You!

Who? You!

I'm already gone!
Yes, sir!

"Attention"
"Fire when ready"
"Get up"

Was hoping for a banger like War Pigs, One, or name-a-tune-from-Five-Finger-Death-Punch... but this wasn't it. I prefer the protest songs to be a bit more oblique just so that they stand the test of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT