ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Music (Released January 2020 or Later)

Yeah, I didn't go back far enough. LOL.

As a makeup, here's a new guy I've been listening to. He's an opener for the WMMRBQ next weekend. i searched his name on here this time.

Really like this a lot, and surprised I have not heard of him. He's had a music career since 2010, but his first major label release was in 2021.

Interesting description of his music from Wikipedia:
Ayron Jones's music is described as a mixture of blues, hip-hop, grunge, hard rock and soul.[25][9] Jones himself once described his own sound as "like if Michael Jackson played guitar like Jimi Hendrix in Kurt Cobain's band".

Reactions: RUJohnny99
Really like this a lot, and surprised I have not heard of him. He's had a music career since 2010, but his first major label release was in 2021.

Interesting description of his music from Wikipedia:
Ayron Jones's music is described as a mixture of blues, hip-hop, grunge, hard rock and soul.[25][9] Jones himself once described his own sound as "like if Michael Jackson played guitar like Jimi Hendrix in Kurt Cobain's band".
This is decent. Obviously he doesn’t play guitar like Hendrix. The big problem to me is.. you really don’t need to play so loud. Music in its best form, isn’t about volume , it’s about feel and making people feel something. Not sure where it all went wrong, but it went wrong somewhere.

This is decent. Obviously he doesn’t play guitar like Hendrix. The big problem to me is.. you really don’t need to play so loud. Music in its best form, isn’t about volume , it’s about feel and making people feel something. Not sure where it all went wrong, but it went wrong somewhere.
Respectfully disagree. To me, you really can't play too loud. Music to me, is ALL about volume , and the louder it is, it makes people feel something. 😉

Maybe you like these tunes better?

Respectfully disagree. To me, you really can't play too loud. Music to me, is ALL about volume , and the louder it is, it makes people feel something. 😉

Maybe you like these tunes better?

It’s decent stuff, however I have to disagree. By the mid 70s the real hard rock sound started to get disconnected from the roots. It all started to be about volume,distortion and speed. Essentially the “soul” got ripped out of hard rock and it really did not recover. For me guitar driven rock is all about feel, soul and sweet emotion. Space in rock music is so important. That all got lost. Clapton was way out in front of what was going on by the early 70s, along with others. He went into a song oriented, soul oriented direction. Bands like “ The Band” made a lot more sense to him then UFO or whoever. To each his own, but there is a reason why all that great rock music recorded from the mid 60s into the early 70s remains the gold standard and a lot of what came after isn’t on the same level.

War on Drugs released a single from a soon to be released album. Can't link "I Don't Live Here Anymore" but if you google it a link is available. Worth the listen.

Reactions: Kbee3 and Jm0513
War on Drugs released a single from a soon to be released album. Can't link "I Don't Live Here Anymore" but if you google it a link is available. Worth the listen.
More guitar please.
War On Drugs is one of my favorite bands. Their last two albums have been some of the best stuff I've heard in years. Love Adam's guitar work.

Last edited:
He's probably a guy who taught himself how to play guitar and made a living in bars doing it, versus classically trained.

Reactions: Knight Shift
He's probably a guy who taught himself how to play guitar and made a living in bars doing it, versus classically trained.
I wish I was able to make a living playing in bars! No, I always loved guitar music and messed around with it when I was a teenager. I didn’t have the patience , persistence to really learn. I rededicated myself to learning in my 40s and have have been playing about 15 years . Kind of a reborn late mid life hack. I can get on a roll sometimes about music especially after a few drinks. There Is plenty of “loud“ music that I like, I’m just not a fan of the “shred” / distorted really loud guitar sound. Just my opinion.

Reactions: RUJohnny99
Agreed on Bring Me the Horizon. BTW, wtf does Bring Me The Horizon mean?

No f'ing clue.
Oli!! I always took it as... bring me everything..bring me the world..bring me the horizon.....

Why Bring Me the Horizon: “It’s a slight change of a line from Pirates of the Caribbean,” explains lead singer Oliver Sykes. “Right at the end of the film — it might even be the very last line — Johnny Depp says, ‘Bring me that horizon.’ That was really inspiring. I was still living with my parents in Sheffield, England, when the movie came out [in 2003]. For me and the band, playing music was always wrapped up with the idea of touring and traveling and seeing the rest of England and the rest of the world. We never thought doing that was possible, but that’s what we wanted to do. So that quote sort of stands in for our feeling of wanting to see what the planet had to offer.”

thought this was the best of the covers off The Metallica Blacklist release. actually played with the arrangement rather than just adapt the original arrangement to the artist's particular style.

Reactions: Jm0513

L.A.-Witch-photo-by-Strangers-In-A-Fire.jpg

Reactions: Knight Shift
I like this track - love Tom Morello's signature guitar sound. Bring Me the Horizon is an enigma to me. They seem to vacillate between pop rock, almost club music and heavier stuff and sometimes within the same song.
Agreed on Bring Me the Horizon. BTW, wtf does Bring Me The Horizon mean?
Oli!! I always took it as... bring me everything..bring me the world..bring me the horizon.....

Why Bring Me the Horizon: “It’s a slight change of a line from Pirates of the Caribbean,” explains lead singer Oliver Sykes. “Right at the end of the film — it might even be the very last line — Johnny Depp says, ‘Bring me that horizon.’ That was really inspiring. I was still living with my parents in Sheffield, England, when the movie came out [in 2003]. For me and the band, playing music was always wrapped up with the idea of touring and traveling and seeing the rest of England and the rest of the world. We never thought doing that was possible, but that’s what we wanted to do. So that quote sort of stands in for our feeling of wanting to see what the planet had to offer.”
Speaking of BMTH, not one Linkin Park song on the Rolling Stone top 500. What a whiff.

Speaking of BMTH, not one Linkin Park song on the Rolling Stone top 500. What a whiff.
I remember when Linkin Park was starting to get airplay on Seton Hall's WSOU. I thought they were a Jersey Band called Lincoln Park. Was never a huge fan, but after Chester passed and I learned more about what huge fan and friend he was of Chris Cornell, I came to appreciate their music a bit more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT