ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Music (Released January 2020 or Later)

Maynard James Keenan is pushing the limits after turning 60 this year.
Just finished a tour with his other band A Perfect Circle.
Tool has been on tour most of the year and is currently on tour in Europe. They are working on new material.

He just opened another new restaurant at his home base in Cottonwood, AZ. His main restaurant, Merkin Vinyard's Osteria is a must go. There is a cool store up on the mountain in Jerome called Puscifer.

John 5, who has played guitar in David Lee Roth's band, Marylin Manson, Rob Zombie's band, with Rod Stewart, k.d. lang and now Motley Crue is releasing a solo album. This is an instrumental:

Reactions: RUGuitarMan
Saw Brian Dunne open for Lissie in a little church in Montclair a couple years ago. Outpost in the Burbs I think it was called.

Phenomenal talent. I got to talk to him in the lobby for a good while as he was peddling his albums. I have his entire catalog up to Selling Things signed. Hopefully one day he breaks out. In the past he'd be as sure a thing as you could get but this generation of popular radio doesn't understand real talent. He's also a member of a 'Super Group' called Fantastic Cats.

Funny these guys are mentioned in the next post. I saw them open for The Struts at The Pony awhile back. Good band with really catchy tunes but the singer does this thing with his voice every other line of every single song that grates on me for some reason and once you hear it you can't unhear it and wind up listening for it. If you go to see them pay attention to the keyboard player. He's a scene stealer on stage as well as the videos. He gets into it.
Really getting into Fantastic Cats. Both albums are great. I call it Americana Pop. They are playing a free concert August 7th in Woodbridge.

Reactions: RU-AGK
I just became aware of this young lady from Baltimore. She is a very talented guitarist and is just getting some recognition now. Besides this original song, she does some very good covers of Albert King, BB King, Lightening Hopkins, Bob Marley and others:

My son's band's new song, just released today. He is a Rutgers student and very active in the basement music scene. Please give it a click if you don't mind.

That's cool. Good luck to them.

Our son's band, Ghost Camp, was similarly very active in the NB basement scene about 7-10 years ago. They got played a lot on WRSU and the CORE and played all over the Philly-NJ-NYC area, including at a few "regular" venues, like the Wonder Bar in AP. Never "made" it, but did record 2+ albums and our basement was their practice and songwriting space, which was very cool for us, as we'd get to hear them work out their songs - and we actually really liked their music. Song below might be my favorite of theirs.

Was just talking to someone about Jelly Roll and how I can't get into him. But here is another fine, heartfelt song. 1.8 M views in 8 days. I'm a fan.

Seeing a common theme with these types of emotional struggles/depression songs that are getting lots of views and comments on YouTube and the radio. Probably has something to do with people in the post-pandemic dealing with lingering issues of isolation, loss of loved ones, loneliness, etc. Hang in there---there's some good music to get you through!

Reactions: Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT