ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

I'd rather keep both and be rid of Ruf and keep one of Baty/Vientos in the minors. And hate to say it, but if one of the backups need to be moved as well, it should be Vogelbach since he brings zero value on defense and isn't a better hitter than Escobar either.

Escobar and Guillorme are good players and bring a lot of value to the team as both starters and backups, and both are really good defensively and great clubhouse guys. Escobar just brings more value offensively due to his power, so if I had to choose one to go, I'd rather move Guillorme.
I believe if not when breaking camp, then at some point both Baty/Vientos will be called up since they will be very cheap and I wouldn't count out Mauricio as an addition after the All Star Break if he isn't including in a trade. The kid is very talented.

While Correa missed time early in his MLB career with a back injury, multiple league sources said the Giants had concerns about an ankle injury he suffered while in the minor leagues. In 2014, when he was a 19-year-old prospect with the Houston Astros, Correa injured his leg on a slide into third base in a High-A game. The Astros later announced that he underwent surgery on a fractured right fibula and a ligament.

TK seems extremely concerned about the health of our recent additions, lol. Could it be it's a tough transition from being a fan of "The Varsity" to being a fan of "The Little Sisters of the Poor"? There's a new sheriff in town buddy.👍

Reactions: knightinaz
TK seems extremely concerned about the health of our recent additions, lol. Could it be it's a tough transition from being a fan of "The Varsity" to being a fan of "The Little Sisters of the Poor"? There's a new sheriff in town buddy.👍
the thing is- most of the big deals for FA's come with a health concern- We lost deGrom- and he has a health concern and we got Verlander- also health/Age- Nimmo, has a health concern, Correa, same, Judge- health concern, Rodon, health concern

Reactions: RUfinally2008
It's all a gamble when the money and the years are this outrageous. As a fan, I can only hope the gamble pays off, and if it doesn't, then Uncle Stevie will double down,lol. My son's HS buddy was at the Garden for the Knicks game this week and a slice was $9 crazy.

As per WFAN, the medical issue with Correa is spinal stenosis. Correa and the docs believe this condition is stable and will likely not progress. SF had concerns due to the 13-year deal and wanted additional tests.
I thought one of the job of a moderator was to prevent false information from getting on these boards, not propagate it. Why would you put this out there, when everyone else was reporting that it was an ankle injury from his time in the minors?

Reactions: RutgersSouthFL
I thought one of the job of a moderator was to prevent false information from getting on these boards, not propagate it. Why would you put this out there, when everyone else was reporting that it was an ankle injury from his time in the minors?
Is it that big of deal?TK2 does usually troll but there is also a good chance he did hear this on the FAN. Which then makes it fair to bring up. So, we all discuss it and move along. A moderator is not going to care if someone shares they heard something on the Fan...

Reactions: MoreCowbellRU
Because he's trying to deflect after the Yanks guaranteed an older injury prone player $360MM?

Is it that big of deal?TK2 does usually troll but there is also a good chance he did hear this on the FAN. Which then makes it fair to bring up. So, we all discuss it and move along. A moderator is not going to care if someone shares they heard something on the Fan...
I recognize that this thread has been inundated with disgruntled, self-entitled, imbecilic Yankees’ fans. I also recognize that the internet is a cesspool of misinformation coming from individuals, who if I met in person, I would probably avoid.

When he wrote that post, it was already widely reported that the Giants were concerned about an ankle injury that occurred in the minors. The Giants, everyone understood, were backing out of the deal.

I don’t accept your premise. If an unhappy fan called the FAN claiming that he heard GS was fired, the radio host began to speculate, and a thread was started. There is no way the moderators would allow that thread to remain, once they confirmed it was false. In this case, the information was already known to be false, when he initially made that post.

The role of a moderator is to provide moderation, especially when it comes to false information. It’s not, as I said earlier to propagate it.

Reactions: RutgersSouthFL
320935417_904108010948941_1972555781721757721_n.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: AntiG and SAE96
Ok
Because no one has ever spent like THIS.
To be fair- up until Correa, that would not have been true. We were also going to have to either sign deGrom or get someone like Verlander- we had to fill out a pitching staff and had to get a CF.
Thank goodness- we do have Cohen- imagine how shitty it would have been if we didn’t.
And then, does MLB blow up next year when we sign S.O. Lol

Cohen will end up being a hero to the MLBPA. The Correa signing has turned the spotlight on teams like Oakland and Pittsburgh.

It's all a gamble when the money and the years are this outrageous. As a fan, I can only hope the gamble pays off, and if it doesn't, then Uncle Stevie will double down,lol. My son's HS buddy was at the Garden for the Knicks game this week and a slice was $9 crazy.
$9 isn't all that bad in NYC, typical slice goes for like $4-6 these days in Manhattan lol

No one really paid attention to their press conference yesterday. It was fun watching MLB tonight discuss the Mets and end the show with, “and there’s some news coming out of the Bronx.” 🤣
And at the Rodon presser Boras held court w NY reporters talking Correa

How come no one says a word when the Dodgers, Padres, Yankees spend like this but it’s a federal crime when the Mets are doing it?
Yeah especially the Yankees have been doing this for decades now. The number has just inflated with the contacts.

It's not like we really did it first this offseason either. The Phillies were the first ones that doled out a $300 million contact this offseason to Trea Turner. The Mets mostly just re-signed their own players and replaced ones that left with players basically on the same level. Verlander replaced us losing the best pitcher in baseball over the past 5 years, so objectively, we downgraded there due to his age/years remaining (though I'm sure the original plan was to add Verlander to Degrom and Scherzer). Senga is a question mark that replaced ones of the better pitchers last year in Bassitt, and Quintana is maybe slightly better than Walker but who knows really, and regardless he's not a superstar. Minor upgrade in the bullpen and starting catcher, but none were huge stars either. Correa is really the only actual major addition. People are just looking at the inflated numbers, but really that's been happening in every sport - Ronaldo got $200 million per year. NFL QBs are hitting $50 million AAV while star WR, CB, LT, Edge rushers are at $25-35 million.

They should be complaining more about the inflation going on around us making the middle class having tighter and tighter margins due to lack of salary inflation and outsourcing than worrying about how Steve Cohen spends his money.

Last edited:
Yeah especially the Yankees have been doing this for decades now. The number has just inflated with the contacts.

It's not like we really did it first this offseason either. The Phillies were the first ones that doled out a $300 million contact this offseason to Trea Turner. The Mets mostly just re-signed their own players and replaced ones that left with players basically on the same level. Verlander replaced us losing the best pitcher in baseball over the past 5 years, so objectively, we downgraded there due to his age/years remaining (though I'm sure the original plan was to add Verlander to Degrom and Scherzer). Senga is a question mark that replaced ones of the better pitchers last year in Bassitt, and Quintana is maybe slightly better than Walker but who knows really, and regardless he's not a superstar. Minor upgrade in the bullpen and starting catcher, but none were huge stars either. Correa is really the only actual major addition. People are just looking at the inflated numbers, but really that's been happening in every sport - Ronaldo got $200 million per year. NFL QBs are hitting $50 million AAV while star WR, CB, LT, Edge rushers are at $25-35 million.

They should be complaining more about the inflation going on around us making the middle class having tighter and tighter margins due to lack of salary inflation and outsourcing than worrying about how Steve Cohen spends his money.
Excellent points. Listening to WFAN yesterday so many callers were crying either about what the Mets have done or what the other team in the area hasn't done. I just don't mean player signings, but dumping players they should. Of course spring training is a long time away but one thing we already know, if the Mets end up with another Cano, Uncle Stevie will jettison him out. Does Hal have that in him to dump, Hicks,Donaldson and eat those contracts? There's a new sheriff in town

Last edited:
It's called "hypocrisy".

Of course not.
I believe it's called "backdoor crying". 😭 Your saying everything other than your upset and jealous. You see the writing on the wall. Love to know your reaction waking up to the Correa signing. Taking that morning pee must have hurt like passing a stone.

Last edited:
Reactions: knightinaz
Cohen will end up being a hero to the MLBPA. The Correa signing has turned the spotlight on teams like Oakland and Pittsburgh.

THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM IN MLB. At least Tampa Bay works their asses off to have one of the best farm systems in baseball to replace the players that become too expensive. And almost every year, at least they try to improve their team for the playoffs with deadline deals. Pittsburgh, Oakland, others do NOTHING.

Too bad it’s going to continue since you can’t get rid of owners for skirting the system to make a profit instead of to compete every year.

Even 2008 has to admit that’s a joke. Bad baseball players making that much coin is bad for fans
Conforto had a couple of years with injuries that were "bad" but if he is healthy- he is well into the upper levels of players. The contract is surprising for the amount- but only because of health, not that he is a bad baseball player- lifetime .824 ops and above average fielder. A Rizzo hasn't even hit that ops over that for 3 years. What is he making???

Conforto had a couple of years with injuries that were "bad" but if he is healthy- he is well into the upper levels of players. The contract is surprising for the amount- but only because of health, not that he is a bad baseball player- lifetime .824 ops and above average fielder. A Rizzo hasn't even hit that ops over that for 3 years. What is he making???
He is not an upper level player. Lifetime 250 hitter with ok power. Only played 150+ games in a season twice in 7 years, 8 if you count sitting out last year.

All 3 stink

Contracts are a joke. Bad for fans
Didn't bother you during the Yankees run when they got in front of cable sports,turned huge profits,signed big players to big contracts did it? Were you worried about all the other MLB fans? Of course not and you know it. This flip of back page news going to the Mets will take some getting used to I can see lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
He is not an upper level player. Lifetime 250 hitter with ok power. Only played 150+ games in a season twice in 7 years, 8 if you count sitting out last year.
2017-2021 so including his bad year. 28th in all of baseball with 16.3 fWAR. 34th in wRC+ at 127 where 100 is average. I'd say a top 30-35 player/hitter is in the upper level.

If you want to take out his below average by his standards 2021 and use 2017-2020 then he looks even better. 22nd in fWAR with a 14.9 and 25th in wRC+ with a 133. Now will he get back to that level after a whole year off because of injury I have no idea but let's not downplay his past accomplishments.

Last edited:
Glad Conforto is getting a chance, he's a good dude and a terrific player when healthy... was sad to see him go last year. Cool that he'll get to play next to Wilmer.

Didn't bother you during the Yankees run when they got in front of cable sports,turned huge profits,signed big players to big contracts did it? Were you worried about all the other MLB fans? Of course not and you know it. This flip of back page news going to the Mets will take some getting used to I can see lol.

I chose to stop attending games and I won’t buy any merchandise either

I’ve had enough of MLB ripping off fans plus when they moved the ASG

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT