ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2022-2023 Off Season Thread

Can we start talking about the Mets again before this thread gets shut down? Or is this what y’all want?
Agree- would love to hear what everyone thinks so far of 2022 vs 2023 not counting Correa- I think Catching is a slight upgrade- 1B/2B/SS are the same- even without Correa, I believe Escobar will be better this year than he was in 2022. OF is pretty much the same.
Now the tricky part- I believe we get 15-20 more starts in 23 out of Max and Verlander then we did with deGrom. So that should be an upgrade in the 1/2 spot. But I think we lose something with Bassitt as our 3 because I don’t believe we do have a true 3 starter this year but very good 4-5 type starters.
But I believe adding Robertson could be the big move- Ottavino Robertson Diaz could be such a shutdown after 5-6 innings that it saves our older starters and puts ton of pressure on other teams.
I struggle with our DH and bench though but hard to be worst at DH than last year.

Agree- would love to hear what everyone thinks so far of 2022 vs 2023 not counting Correa- I think Catching is a slight upgrade- 1B/2B/SS are the same- even without Correa, I believe Escobar will be better this year than he was in 2022. OF is pretty much the same.
Now the tricky part- I believe we get 15-20 more starts in 23 out of Max and Verlander then we did with deGrom. So that should be an upgrade in the 1/2 spot. But I think we lose something with Bassitt as our 3 because I don’t believe we do have a true 3 starter this year but very good 4-5 type starters.
But I believe adding Robertson could be the big move- Ottavino Robertson Diaz could be such a shutdown after 5-6 innings that it saves our older starters and puts ton of pressure on other teams.
I struggle with our DH and bench though but hard to be worst at DH than last year.
You don't think Senga can be a true 3? I know it's hard to imagine but if reports are true on his arsenal his upside is a #2. I'll say he'll be a perfect 3 after the older aces.

Can we start talking about the Mets again before this thread gets shut down? Or is this what y’all want?
Ask and you shall receive.

Mike Mayer of Metsmerized.com reports that the Giants have contacted Boras to try to get back in with Correa (obviously under different contractual terms). Boras reportedly rebuffed him, stating that Correa is focused on a deal "elsewhere", meaning the Mets. The belief is that both parties want to get this done, and it will get done.

Ask and you shall receive.

Mike Mayer of Metsmerized.com reports that the Giants have contacted Boras to try to get back in with Correa (obviously under different contractual terms). Boras reportedly rebuffed him, stating that Correa is focused on a deal "elsewhere", meaning the Mets. The belief is that both parties want to get this done, and it will get done.

Too lazy to look it up.

Same contract or a revised one because of the physical with the Mets?

Max broke down a couple of times last season and wasn't the same down the stretch. If that happens again this season and Verlander shows his age, we're toast in October. I'd sign for 95-100 win season and playing better to start the postseason than last season,clearly.

Reactions: tico brown
You don't think Senga can be a true 3? I know it's hard to imagine but if reports are true on his arsenal his upside is a #2. I'll say he'll be a perfect 3 after the older aces.
Until I see Senga- hard to have an opinion but Bassitt is pretty much the perfect definition of a 3. But if we can get 6+ innings and he ends with a sub 3.60 era, hopefully, sub 3.40 - then yes. And then our depth is really good
Max broke down a couple of times last season and wasn't the same down the stretch. If that happens again this season and Verlander shows his age, we're toast in October. I'd sign for 95-100 win season and playing better to start the postseason than last season,clearly.
Max did have a couple of break downs but he has been a 30 game machine his whole career. So- 3-4 more starts should be still good for 1-2 more wins. And Verlander will most likely at least double deGrom starts, if not more…no reason to believe he will slow down much. And while I won’t sign for any particular number of wins- we need to win the division or I will actually feel it is a letdown.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Too lazy to look it up.

Same contract or a revised one because of the physical with the Mets?
The speculation is that the parties are working with insurers to cover the risk of Correa's career ending prior to contract expiration, due to the ankle injury. Then there is the question of who be pays for the insurance, which will not be cheap.

I say "speculation* because there is radio silence out of both camps. As it should be.

I would add that the insurance policy, if it happens, is not a panacea. In all likelihood it will only cover career ending injury. It will not cover loss of effectiveness due to the injury, which IMO is far more likely. The Mets will have to assume that risk. The question is will they be willing to. Or will they require that Correa share in that risk, in the form of reduced payout in the out years.

Bottom line is that we know one thing - the Mets are still Correa's priority, and he and Boras are slow-playing the Giants, who want back in.

The speculation is that the parties are working with insurers to cover the risk of Correa's career ending prior to contract expiration, due to the ankle injury. Then there is the question of who be pays for the insurance, which will not be cheap.

I say "speculation* because there is radio silence out of both camps. As it should be.

I would add that the insurance policy, if it happens, is not a panacea. In all likelihood it will only cover career ending injury. It will not cover loss of effectiveness due to the injury, which IMO is far more likely. The Mets will have to assume that risk. The question is will they be willing to. Or will they require that Correa share in that risk, in the form of reduced payout in the out years.

Bottom line is that we know one thing - the Mets are still Correa's priority, and he and Boras are slow-playing the Giants, who want back in.
I agree 100%. Earlier in this thread someone posted that for all the speed Correa has, he doesn't attempt many steals and maybe it's because of that lower leg injury. As much as I hate the the head first slide, especially at home plate with the catchers shin guards blocking the runner, maybe Correa should just resort to that style. Of course that leads to another set of upper body injuries.

I agree 100%. Earlier in this thread someone posted that for all the speed Correa has, he doesn't attempt many steals and maybe it's because of that lower leg injury. As much as I hate the the head first slide, especially at home plate with the catchers shin guards blocking the runner, maybe Correa should just resort to that style. Of course that leads to another set of upper body injuries.
We seem to have a few of those fast but no steal guys. McNeil and Nimmo. Alonso shouldn’t be ahead of those guys in steals.

We seem to have a few of those fast but no steal guys. McNeil and Nimmo. Alonso shouldn’t be ahead of those guys in steals.
That's an excellent point about Alonso. Could it mainly be with Alonso's ability to go deep, they don't want runners getting thrown out?

That's an excellent point about Alonso. Could it mainly be with Alonso's ability to go deep, they don't want runners getting thrown out?
I would love an opinion from @zappaa as I always think that having guys that can steal on base will make a pitcher more conservative and not be able to make his pitches. You have stairs on base, pitcher gets you focus 100% on hitter

I would love an opinion from @zappaa as I always think that having guys that can steal on base will make a pitcher more conservative and not be able to make his pitches. You have stairs on base, pitcher gets you focus 100% on hitter
For sure more fastballs would be thrown to keep a base stealing threat close, thus an advantage to a power hitter.

Interesting article on the Rising Apple site. It assesses their nine significant free agents, mostly pitchers, that they allowed to walk. All except OF Tyler Naquin have found new homes.

The point of the article is that the Mets made the correct decision on all of them. Interesting.

Interesting article on the Rising Apple site. It assesses their nine significant free agents, mostly pitchers, that they allowed to walk. All except OF Tyler Naquin have found new homes.

The point of the article is that the Mets made the correct decision on all of them. Interesting.

I did not get much from reading that. He omits Lugo and Williams upfront saying they wanted to start. Well the Mets made a decision not to give them such an opportunity here. Not tendering Walker was likely a mistake. Not that he would have stayed, but we did him a big favor by not attaching a compensatory pick. We still need a bullpen arm or two so not sure on May, although I agree on the likes of Givens, Rodriguez..etc. Whether or not the Mets are spending "wisely" is certainly a topic for debate that will take years to determine definitively one way or another.

So Rosenthal is saying that the Mets should, and likely will, offer Correa more than is necessary to sign him, for the purposes of ensuring his happiness?

In the 150 year history of Major League Baseball, that would be a first. But there is a first time for everything I guess.
Not sure that’s how I read it. Seems more likely that a restructuring of the deal is what he is saying but that if he signs they don’t want him to be unhappy.

Not sure that’s how I read it. Seems more likely that a restructuring of the deal is what he is saying but that if he signs they don’t want him to be unhappy.
This..,just like any employer- while you may negotiate salary and commission, bonus, etc- it really has to be a win win.

Depends who's on the mound and who's catching. Like the guy in Money Ball said "We pay them to get on 1st, not to get thrown out @ second. " Maybe just picking their spots and no pushing their luck.

Many baseball pundits are predicting that we will see a big increase in stolen bases this season across the game due to no shift and larger bases.

I would definitely like to see this become a part of the Mets offense. Guys like Marte, Lindor and Nimmo getting in scoring position ahead of Alonso & Correa (hopefully) can only increase run production

Many baseball pundits are predicting that we will see a big increase in stolen bases this season across the game due to no shift and larger bases.

I would definitely like to see this become a part of the Mets offense. Guys like Marte, Lindor and Nimmo getting in scoring position ahead of Alonso & Correa (hopefully) can only increase run production
And pitchers can only throw over to 1B to hold the runner so many times.

Reactions: knightinaz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT