ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2023-2024 Off Season Thread

Sounds like Mets will not be going after any of the available high end pitchers. Senga will be replaced from within.

Sounds like Mets will not be going after any of the available high end pitchers. Senga will be replaced from within.
It's interesting because this was something I was thinking about with Boras and Evan Roberts mentioned the other day - his clients will continue to wait and may get what they are asking due to spring training injuries.

I was thinking about it as it relates to Bellinger and the Cubs. They want him back but probably not at 8 years and whatever. It will depend on how desperate a team gets due to injury and how much of contender their front office thinks they are.

It's interesting because this was something I was thinking about with Boras and Evan Roberts mentioned the other day - his clients will continue to wait and may get what they are asking due to spring training injuries.

I was thinking about it as it relates to Bellinger and the Cubs. They want him back but probably not at 8 years and whatever. It will depend on how desperate a team gets due to injury and how much of contender their front office thinks they are.
Crazy how much the FA market has changed over the years.
You may see a couple of these guys do a 1 year deal though as the season nears

You are really showing baseball ignorance. Alonso fits the Mets because he's the only power threat they have and yes, it would be a huge loss. You thinking the Yankees need another RH power hitter with plenty of swings and misses in a lineup already stock full of RH hitters that have that as their calling card is astoundingly lame. This from you a self called longtime baseball fan that never misses a chance to bash Cashman's team building process and Boone's binder moves?

You are really showing baseball ignorance. Alonso fits the Mets because he's the only power threat they have and yes, it would be a huge loss. You thinking the Yankees need another RH power hitter with plenty of swings and misses in a lineup already stock full of RH hitters that have that as their calling card is astoundingly lame. This from you a self called longtime baseball fan that never misses a chance to bash Cashman's team building process and Boone's binder moves?
kbee just wanted your response...

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Crazy how much the FA market has changed over the years.
You may see a couple of these guys do a 1 year deal though as the season nears
On the other side of that in regards to Snell, Bellinger, and Chapman since they got a QO I'm not sure a team will want to give up the pick if they're only getting 1 year out of them.

I think you've got the wrong guy. While I rarely bash Cashman, some of his moves have made it virtually impossible not to do so. And while I'm no big Boone fan, it has nothing to do with analytics. Lots of Yankees fans have bashed their reliance on analytics. I'm not one of them.
As for Alonso, more and more I'm hearing that he's likely leaving after this season....and more and more they're mentioning the Bronx as a possible destination. Not sure what I think of such a move.

I think you've got the wrong guy. While I rarely bash Cashman, some of his moves have made it virtually impossible not to do so. And while I'm no big Boone fan, it has nothing to do with analytics. Lots of Yankees fans have bashed their reliance on analytics. I'm not one of them.
As for Alonso, more and more I'm hearing that he's likely leaving after this season....and more and more they're mentioning the Bronx as a possible destination. Not sure what I think of such a move.
The Bronx is the one place I haven't heard. Though, I have heard that someone like the Phils may make a hard run at him

On the other side of that in regards to Snell, Bellinger, and Chapman since they got a QO I'm not sure a team will want to give up the pick if they're only getting 1 year out of them.
Another good point. But I think it's really the years with the Cubs right now (been following it closely as a fan).

Need to be very careful with a contract for Alonso. He's overweight and will age very quickly. Think Ryan Howard.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Need to be very careful with a contract for Alonso. He's overweight and will age very quickly. Think Ryan Howard.
yeah- much better to be in the great shape that Judge and Stanton have been in each year.
As for Howard- I know you follow baseball enough to know his downfall had nothing to do with his weight. A torn AT that can happen to small guys, is what did it. It also led to his later age weight gain as well.

Alonso is far from the bit chubby guy he was as a rookie- he will never be small but very far from overweight.

Article was not bad at all IMO. It was not one writer making five picks. It was five writers each making one pick. All solid picks, just none of them happened to be Alonso.

Certainly no one can quarrel with the selections of Judge, Olson, or Ohtani. I actually love the Acuna pick, God only knows what his ceiling is. Garcia to me is the only reach, but not that long a reach.

I would add that Schwarber had more HR's than Alonso last year, and he wasn't named either.

Article was not bad at all IMO. It was not one writer making five picks. It was five writers each making one pick. All solid picks, just none of them happened to be Alonso.

Certainly no one can quarrel with the selections of Judge, Olson, or Ohtani. I actually love the Acuna pick, God only knows what his ceiling is. Garcia to me is the only reach, but not that long a reach.

I would add that Schwarber had more HR's than Alonso last year, and he wasn't named either.
Did Schwarber have more HR's than Alonso the last 5 years? Please, Alonso didn't even make the next 5 picks in the dark horse selections. Of course having hit the most HR's in all of MLB the last 5 years he wouldn't be considered a dark horse, but not seeing his name in 10 picks is just ridiculous.

Did Schwarber have more HR's than Alonso the last 5 years? Please, Alonso didn't even make the next 5 picks in the dark horse selections. Of course having hit the most HR's in all of MLB the last 5 years he wouldn't be considered a dark horse, but not seeing his name in 10 picks is just ridiculous.
Alonso did not meet the criteria for the dark horse selection. He could not have been selected.

I know we are homers (no pun intended) on the board. But if you ask five baseball experts who will lead the majors in homers next year, and none of them select Alonso, that is not crazy. It just isn't.

If I were asked that question, Alonso would not have been my first choice (Judge). Nor my second (Olson), Maybe third. Maybe not. As I mentioned, I love the Acuna pick.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Alonso did not meet the criteria for the dark horse selection. He could not have been selected.

I know we are homers (no pun intended) on the board. But if you ask five baseball experts who will lead the majors in homers next year, and none of them select Alonso, that is not crazy. It just isn't.

If I were asked that question, Alonso would not have been my first choice (Judge). Nor my second (Olson), Maybe third. Maybe not. As I mentioned, I love the Acuna pick.
I see your point and I still think there's no way Alonso isn't top 5 and yes, I also stated he doesn't fit the dark horse category. Barring an injury, I'd bet Alonso finishes in the Top 5 in HR's. Just might trot over to Freehold Raceway and see if there's a futures bet on that very thing. First off, the Mets at 82.5 wins, I'm taking the over!!! https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...hei-ohtani-aaron-judge-anmlb-more/ar-BB1iMx0w Well here's a list that makes more sense.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT