ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2023-2024 Off Season Thread

The pivotal signing was Bader. Prior to that point, we all thought that the Mets would be signing a bat. Instead, they signed a glove. This is Stearns' modus operandi. We'll see how it works out.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I would like a bat as well but again it's clear Stearns wants to be in the job for a year before he makes any huge decisions in deciding what direction he wants to go. He said as much yesterday which means no larger commitments at this point unless it was for the obvious like Yamamoto. If the price falls for someone like JD I think he will pounce. We also have to realize because of the stupid tax any contract at this point is double the actual cash layout.

We still might get one more bat but Stearns also believes in giving younger players a shot so he wants a path for Baty and Vientos to see if they can play at this level.

He decided the team could improve around the edges with defense and could bump up the win total in that regard. He also added a bit more depth at each spot with all the short term commitments.

If you listen to him he's been very up front and transparent about everything and he's right that this team can still compete for a WC if things go right. Maybe he adds a bat at the deadline at that point.

I would like a bat as well but again it's clear Stearns wants to be in the job for a year before he makes any huge decisions in deciding what direction he wants to go. He said as much yesterday which means no larger commitments at this point unless it was for the obvious like Yamamoto. If the price falls for someone like JD I think he will pounce. We also have to realize because of the stupid tax any contract at this point is double the actual cash layout.

We still might get one more bat but Stearns also believes in giving younger players a shot so he wants a path for Baty and Vientos to see if they can play at this level.

He decided the team could improve around the edges with defense and could bump up the win total in that regard. He also added a bit more depth at each spot with all the short term commitments.

If you listen to him he's been very up front and transparent about everything and he's right that this team can still compete for a WC if things go right. Maybe he adds a bat at the deadline at that point.
In essence, we have gone from a team that a year ago, was given a good chance to win a title, to being a team that can compete, if everything goes right for a Wild Card. Stearns has been around long enough that he is able to evaluate Major League talent well enough to make free agent signings. Obviously, they are punting on 2024!

In essence, we have gone from a team that a year ago, was given a good chance to win a title, to being a team that can compete, if everything goes right for a Wild Card. Stearns has been around long enough that he is able to evaluate Major League talent well enough to make free agent signings. Obviously, they are punting on 2024!
I think it's the prudent decision for the organization at this time. Call it what you want but it'll be more exciting than last year with the high profile older SPs leading the rotation and getting hurt and also under performing. If Baty and/or Vientos hit it'll be the correct decision. I think Alvarez improves also and he already showed a lot of power last year.

The rotation is the biggest question mark to me even more than the lineup.

They are punting and hope it may work out. I also put signing Alonso for multi years is almost next to nil- if they are out of it, he is traded this year.
If he wants to just give himself a year- sign a guy like JD…
It would almost make the fanbase take a sigh of relief.

They are punting and hope it may work out. I also put signing Alonso for multi years is almost next to nil- if they are out of it, he is traded this year.
If he wants to just give himself a year- sign a guy like JD…
It would almost make the fanbase take a sigh of relief.
I agree that a pre-season or mid-season Alonso signing is highly unlikely. He's going to free agency. However, IMO the Mets have at least a 50-50 shot of re-signing him as a free agent. I think that is true even if he is rented out in July.

MLB Network announced #41-60 of its Top 100 players right now. No Mets mentioned. Lindor and Alonso will be in Top 40. The latter is a mild surprise to me.

• Wow
The Cohen Rule? It seems many players have stepped forward and said Eppler didn’t do anything different than most GM's around the league have asked them to do. Another example of 2 tier justice against the Mets organization

The Cohen Rule? It seems many players have stepped forward and said Eppler didn’t do anything different than most GM's around the league have asked them to do. Another example of 2 tier justice against the Mets organization
I think the difference is that somebody (Guillorme?) blew the whistle on the Mets, forcing MLB to act

even casual fans have known this has been going on for years.

Let's root for the under here. Would love that additional money back next year.

The Mets are on the hook for the $17.5M if Verlander's option vests, AND if he exercises it. Maybe he'll have a Cy Young season and will decide he can do better than the $35M option. Or maybe he will retire and walk away from the money. Doubt it though.

Eduardo Escobar signs minor league deal with Blue Jays, with invite to major league camp. His stock sure dropped. Mets turned him into Adrian Hauser and Tyrone Taylor. Could be quite a trade.

@Knight Shift might become a Blue Jays fan now. His favorite Vogel signed a minor league deal with them. Who thinks he'll make the team?
Love the city of Toronto. Hope Vogey kills it up there as a DH or pinch runner.

New Blue Jays logo in the works?

IITe7hKf_400x400.jpg

My current take on Stearns.

The moves he has made this off season are all pretty much good moves. A couple of them have a chance for a huge upside- think Seve/Bader maybe a couple of the bullpen guys.
They are the little moves needed to really build a solid team. Stearns is a smart baseball guy. But, as much as he is a NYC baseball kid- he is missing something important here- The fans. It is going to be a horrendous year as a fan if we have a 80-87 win season while the Braves win 100+, Yankees win 95+ Philly wins about as much of us but have a fun team- we watch Pete go 45/120 again but the gut fear is he is gone.

My concern- is to have to rely on a couple of these moves need to have a big upside for us to have a good season.

And unless a guy like JD is asking for 2 or more years- if he is willing to go a 1 year deal- why not take that one flier?

We most likely see him sign somewhere else for a reasonable 1 year.

Speaking of the Braves- is this about the time of year that guys that are juicing have to get started, or do they wait until closer to the season? 🤪

The moves he has made this off season are all pretty much good moves. A couple of them have a chance for a huge upside- think Seve/Bader maybe a couple of the bullpen guys.
They are the little moves needed to really build a solid team. Stearns is a smart baseball guy. But, as much as he is a NYC baseball kid- he is missing something important here- The fans. It is going to be a horrendous year as a fan if we have a 80-87 win season while the Braves win 100+, Yankees win 95+ Philly wins about as much of us but have a fun team- we watch Pete go 45/120 again but the gut fear is he is gone.

My concern- is to have to rely on a couple of these moves need to have a big upside for us to have a good season.

And unless a guy like JD is asking for 2 or more years- if he is willing to go a 1 year deal- why not take that one flier?

You have just made one of the best posts I have seen in this thread!

Congratulations! You have made the best Mets post I have seen in a long time. I am sure Baseball 78 will disagree with me, However, it appears that no moves have been made to make this team more competitive NOW. Signing J D or similar would definitely help this season.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT