ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Mets 2023-2024 Off Season Thread

You have just made one of the best posts I have seen in this thread!
Congratulations! You have made the best Mets post I have seen in a long time. I am sure Baseball 78 will disagree with me, However, it appears that no moves have been made to make this team more competitive NOW. Signing J D or similar would definitely help this season.
I agree there have been no moves made that would elevate the team to 95-100 wins.

• Sad
Reactions: Knight Shift
It's funny- Pete Alonso is by far my favorite player on the Met's. But I believe he came up as number 37 in MLB and so many have now sort of look at him as replaceable, if it happens we don't sign him. Or, if we do sign him- we need to keep in mind he is only a 1B, and those guys just don't get paid.
Meanwhile- guy plays every day- number 3 in MLB over the past 5 years.
Most HR's in that time frame and most RBI in that timeframe.

Should we be looking at him as just a 1B/DH or should he be looked at as the top run producer in MLB?

It's funny- Pete Alonso is by far my favorite player on the Met's. But I believe he came up as number 37 in MLB and so many have now sort of look at him as replaceable, if it happens we don't sign him. Or, if we do sign him- we need to keep in mind he is only a 1B, and those guys just don't get paid.

Should we be looking at him as just a 1B/DH or should he be looked at as the top run producer in MLB?
Other questions to answer are:
  • Who might be behind him in the farm system that Stearns would prefer -- both in terms of run production and as a defensive upgrade (Alonso's weakness)
  • Do you want his production to go to a division rival (i.e. would the Braves, Marlins, Nats or Phillies sign him)?

Also need to ask the question with whom are you going to replace him? Big hole in the lineup without him.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Other questions to answer are:
  • Who might be behind him in the farm system that Stearns would prefer -- both in terms of run production and as a defensive upgrade (Alonso's weakness)
  • Do you want his production to go to a division rival (i.e. would the Braves, Marlins, Nats or Phillies sign him)?
No one replaces him for run production- he has been number one in MLB for his career.
Defense- he is actually at least an average fielder now. So does a great defender make that big of a difference- if so, they should have kept Dom Smith. lol

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
In regard to the Braves- First, man, they have signed some of the most team friendly contracts in the modern era...
Gotta give them credit

On the flip side- how does their "TEAM" ops end up being 100+ points higher that the MLB average? And pretty much 100 points higher than their previous year?

They are worried about Epstein and injury reports when a whole slap you in the Selig face is staring at them.

Does not excuse our season...but really?

You think the whole team is cheating because they put together a good lineup?
pretty much their entire team of veterans jumped to levels none of them have ever seen before- and all in the same season...

Kind of looks like a duck, quacks like a duck- just saying

Reactions: Foads
It's a smart Atlanta Braves move!!!! Love it. Now sign Pete!!!!!!
What I have always wondered- at what point do some of these Braves players ask themselves..."WTF did I do, these guys screwed me over"
It seems they have done this with mostly international players. Maybe I'm wrong with that but that is what stands out to me

What I have always wondered- at what point do some of these Braves players ask themselves..."WTF did I do, these guys screwed me over"
It seems they have done this with mostly international players. Maybe I'm wrong with that but that is what stands out to me
Michael Harris, Austin Riley, Sean Murphy, Matt Olson, Strider not international though.

Michael Harris, Austin Riley, Sean Murphy, Matt Olson, Strider not international though.
Riley and Olsen signed big deals- fair but not crazy team friendly. Acuna and Albies - they are the poster children for getting fleeced.
Strider may prove out to be fleeced as well.
Murphy has a fair deal - Harris- it is still wait and see. If he becomes a star like Albies and Acuna- then he got fleeced...but my gut tells me that he may be the guy that made the good choice under his door number 1. Ozuna made out well too

I don’t think Riley signed an early contract. I may be wrong- Albies and Acuna are tge poster boys for signing horrible long term deals.
They are but I just wanted to point it wasn't only international players. Seemingly every Brave has a below market value contract with some worse than others.

Riley signed his 8/1/22 so a year and a half after he became the player he is now.

Amed Rosario signs a 1 year, $1.5M contract with Rays.

This is one case where locking up your "can't miss" prospect long term, would not have been a good idea.

He gets talked about a lot on fan. People having meltdowns that he hasn't signed. The window to sign him to an extension passed years ago. He's going to free agency.
And Cohen/Stearns seem quite content to let that happen.

After paying over market price to keep Lindor away from free agency, Cohen has clearly adopted a new approach in the 2022 season. That is, let your stars play out their walk year. Then at season-end, you have three choices:
  • If you decide you must keep the player, you overpay if necessary during the first two weeks of free agency, when you have exclusive signing rights. See Edwin Diaz.
  • If you want to keep the player at the right price, you let him test the market and then jump in with your bid. See Brandon Nimmo.
  • If you're willing to let the player walk, then you make him a decent offer, and if he can do better, you thank him for his service and wish him well. See Jacob deGrom.

Amed Rosario signs a 1 year, $1.5M contract with Rays.

This is one case where locking up your "can't miss" prospect long term, would not have been a good idea.
That is an absolute steal for the Rays. That's why they're so good season in/season out.

That is an absolute steal for the Rays. That's why they're so good season in/season out.
imagine- that is what we paid Vogey. Rays stole him.

Also amazing that Giminez has become the jewel of that trade for Cleveland...

They really needed the depth with the whole Wander Franco situation up in the air. Rosario had a solid year last year and can play multiple INF positions.

If Senga is going to be shut down, they need to go out and get Blake Snell or Montgomery. Don't care what it costs. Can't go into the season with this trash of a rotation without Senga.

Senga is a #2/#3 anyway, and he was projected as our #1. Without him you've got a rotation full of fourth starters.

I wouldn't venture to guess whether the team that Stearns has put together so far (while trying to accomplish longer-term, necessary goals) is a strong one. Not really qualified. But there is one thing I do know: when a team constructs itself by making moves that closely track the moves touted or pleaded for by fans and believed media experts, it goes bad. Eppler was too often like that.

Stearns isn't. And he has an undeniable track record, one that shows him to be better at this than most of the professionals in the league who had more money and who had their livelihoods on the line when they made roster decisions (not just potential internet embarrassment when someone finds and displays their old posts touting moves like giving old pitchers big contracts).

So Stearns gets time, lots of up, to build this system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT