ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Whelp Devils get there goalie. Big upgrade with Markstrom but due to age, would have preferred ullmark or Saros…

Let’s see the return..

Reactions: goru1869
Sad to see Bahl go, but I suspect Conroy insisted. I wish it had been Marino or Seiganthaler.

That said in retaining the 10th overall pick, Holtz, Mercer, and Casey with retention, Fitz did very well here. Bahl will only blossom if he develops a nasty streak. As of right now he is a huge guy who plays small. Now we hopefully we sign a Tanev or Zadorov.

I am looking forward to more moves, as I don't think we will keep this year's pick. No more excuses, Fitz has joined us in the Devils should win now contingent.

The Devils have 5 young potentially good goalies in the pipeline so say 2 years of Markstrom then maybe Daws, Poulter, or Brennan etc. steps up!

Reactions: goru1869
Meh. Markstrom not that great. Maybe he will be better with the Devils but he’s kind of like Skinner. Hold your breath when good but horrible when off.

Just wait, once we see the packages for other goalies this trade will look like another Fitz fleecing!

Sentimental elf? Trotz is reportedly now looking at keeping Saros and trading Askorov.

Just wait, once we see the packages for other goalies this trade will look like another Fitz fleecing!

Sentimental elf? Trotz is reportedly now looking at keeping Saros and trading Askorov.
I haven’t followed Askarov since he got drafted, but that sounds like a mistake.

The common “wisdom” on Nashville is that they are always decent but they don’t have the talent that takes you far in the playoffs. The untold part of the story is that Saros has been a pretty mediocre playoff goalie so we don’t know how far Nashville could really be going with effective goaltending.

Reactions: TM94goRU
No doubt this improves the Devils a lot, but Markstrom can be streaky.

It’s a testament to how good he is when he is “on” that he still ranks as a top ten goalie even with the occasional bad stretches.

Markstrom wasn't my first choice and I'd have lost my mind if they dealt 10th OA to get him. That said, he is obviously a massive upgrade and helps immediately. CGY retaining 30%+ means that NJ's 2 goalies will result in only $6M against the cap next year. Given the increase in salary cap, Markstrom's salary is basically a wash anyway. I like Ullmark and love Saros, but the returns and salary would've been jarring. Holding onto add'l trade capital (10th OA, Holtz, Casey etc) is a job well done by Fitzgerald.

As for Bahl, he very well may turn into something elsewhere. In NJ however, he may have been the softest 6'6", 230 lb player I've ever watched. Physicality was just not his game. If he had stayed, he'd probably be NJ's 5th or 6th best Dman and that's with zero additions. If he develops, at least it'll be a couple thousand miles away.

Reactions: CHOPU
I haven’t followed Askarov since he got drafted, but that sounds like a mistake.

The common “wisdom” on Nashville is that they are always decent but they don’t have the talent that takes you far in the playoffs. The untold part of the story is that Saros has been a pretty mediocre playoff goalie so we don’t know how far Nashville could really be going with effective goaltending.
100%. I almost don't believe the chatter, it is such a mistake. However it explains Trotz's desire to get a ton for a nice regular season goalie. Saros is historically bad come playoff time.

As a
100%. I almost don't believe the chatter, it is such a mistake. However it explains Trotz's desire to get a ton for a nice regular season goalie. Saros is historically bad come playoff time.
As a Rangers fan, I was hoping the Devils got Saros.

I don't believe it at all.

If there is anything to the rumor it's Trotz just seeing how huge of a haul he can get in return. But I feel the lack of NHL experience at this point limits the return. A year from now, if Askarov has a strong year as the primary backup, his value would be significantly higher.

Hamilton back
Seamus Casey rookie

Hughes
Nemec
Marino
Siegenthaler

Guess they felt they had enough ,
Bahl was one of the few big bodies

Hamilton back
Seamus Casey rookie

Hughes
Nemec
Marino
Siegenthaler

Guess they felt they had enough ,
Bahl was one of the few big bodies
Casey is almost assuredly starting in the AHL. He's definitely not taking over Bahl's role, for multiple reasons, the simplest being he's a righty, while Bahl is a lefty.

Look for a big defense oriented LHD acquisition. I have Dillon as my target.

Everyone knows I was a big fan of #88 but was always hoping the 😈 switch would turn on.

As @RUfromNJ said, if the light does go on at least he’s far away.

Casey is almost assuredly starting in the AHL. He's definitely not taking over Bahl's role, for multiple reasons, the simplest being he's a righty, while Bahl is a lefty.

Look for a big defense oriented LHD acquisition. I have Dillon as my target.
I agree, Casey is a long shot to make the opening day roster. Marino would have to be dealt or an injury to one of the RHD for him to be considered. Devils have some solid LHD prospects in their system but not sure any of them are ready to make that big of an impact next season. Expect the team to get two new faces on defense via trade or FA. I would not be surprised if either Siegenthaler or Marino are traded between draft day and the start of camp.

I agree, Casey is a long shot to make the opening day roster. Marino would have to be dealt or an injury to one of the RHD for him to be considered. Devils have some solid LHD prospects in their system but not sure any of them are ready to make that big of an impact next season. Expect the team to get two new faces on defense via trade or FA. I would not be surprised if either Siegenthaler or Marino are traded between draft day and the start of camp.
I think one good veteran defensive oriented add on the left side solidifies the whole group.

Another defensive oriented guy as the 7th makes sense too, but those guys are never that good.

Keep the young guys, like Hataaka, Misyul, Vilen, Casey, in the AHL for depth.

It's a defense-heavy draft, depending on how the chips fall at #10 we could see another high-end defensive prospect added.

I think we go fwd. Center depth is a real issue for the organization.
I agree, hope it is a forward that has good size. If players like Lindstrom, Sneecke, Eiserman, Iginla, and Catton are off the board they have to go best player available.

I agree, hope it is a forward that has good size. If players like Lindstrom, Sneecke, Eiserman, Iginla, and Catton are off the board they have to go best player available.
A guy I follow really likes Brandsegg Nygard. Good size, speed and motor, listed as a RW but could play center. Had a good WC tourney I think.

He also likes Helenius, a center who put up good numbers in Liiga.

Seems there should be plenty of fwd options.

This is the first move of several likely to come this summer.

One sleeper in the draft, 6 foot 7 inch son of a player who should have been a Devil, Miroslav Satan Jr. I really hope we draft him.

Fitzgerald has said he wants a top 4 D and a bottom 4 D, as such do NOT be surprised if Marino and/or Seiganthaler are traded, whether it is someone like Zadorov in free agency or a trade for a Brendan Dillon.

This is the first move of several likely to come this summer.

One sleeper in the draft, 6 foot 7 inch son of a player who should have been a Devil, Miroslav Satan Jr. I really hope we draft him.

Fitzgerald has said he wants a top 4 D and a bottom 4 D, as such do NOT be surprised if Marino and/or Seiganthaler are traded, whether it is someone like Zadorov in free agency or a trade for a Brendan Dillon.
Zadorov and Dillon are both free agents . Trade target for me is Mcnabb from Vegas . Would love to get one of the three .

Reactions: RU-05 and TM94goRU
How wild you rate Markstrom as a goalie? Above average / Average / Mediocre ?

I reckon he’s a a tangible upgrade over Schmid / V etc.

At least he better be !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT