ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Nice surprising comeback win. Luke turning into Scott Niedermayer was sweet, good call by Dano although he said it late. I thought of it in realtime.

Goaltending was why we were able to come back.

This team needs a coaching change as well as Goalie and Defense help. We see this by the lackadaisical effort, even on the PP. This team needs to be made uncomfortable. Since Fitz will not fire Ruff, how about an assistant ( defensive coach ) and bring up Kevin Dineen.

Another 3 games in 4 nights. Nice that Saturday's opposition, Boston, will be well rested. This scheduler sucks!

Hey you shouldn't beat on Proud's prediction, if Luke Hughes doesn't channel Scott Niedermayer late he is spot on.

Didn't go back and read through so I will post this just in case- Akira Schmid is now assigned to Utica. It looks like Fitz may have a trade incoming.

With the win last night the Devils squeeze into the #8 playoff spot with 1.15 Points per game, which is a moral victory, but they need to keep up the pace.

GamesWLOTLPPG
They who will not be named
33​
24​
8​
1​
1.484848​
Boston
33​
20​
7​
6​
1.393939​
Toronto
32​
17​
9​
6​
1.25​
Florida
34​
20​
12​
2​
1.235294​
Washington
32​
17​
10​
5​
1.21875​
Philadelphia
33​
18​
11​
4​
1.212121​
NY Islanders
34​
16​
9​
9​
1.205882​
New Jersey
33​
18​
13​
2​
1.151515​
Carolina
35​
18​
13​
4​
1.142857​
Pittsburgh
33​
16​
13​
4​
1.090909​

With the win last night the Devils squeeze into the #8 playoff spot with 1.15 Points per game, which is a moral victory, but they need to keep up the pace.

GamesWLOTLPPG
They who will not be named
33​
24​
8​
1​
1.484848​
Boston
33​
20​
7​
6​
1.393939​
Toronto
32​
17​
9​
6​
1.25​
Florida
34​
20​
12​
2​
1.235294​
Washington
32​
17​
10​
5​
1.21875​
Philadelphia
33​
18​
11​
4​
1.212121​
NY Islanders
34​
16​
9​
9​
1.205882​
New Jersey
33​
18​
13​
2​
1.151515​
Carolina
35​
18​
13​
4​
1.142857​
Pittsburgh
33​
16​
13​
4​
1.090909​
Keep up their recent pace. 10-4-1 in their last 15.

Or their pace with Nico, which I don't have the actual numbers on, but it's good.

Hey you shouldn't beat on Proud's prediction, if Luke Hughes doesn't channel Scott Niedermayer late he is spot on.

Didn't go back and read through so I will post this just in case- Akira Schmid is now assigned to Utica. It looks like Fitz may have a trade incoming.
Yeah but he did & the prediction was wrong!

Reactions: TM94goRU
Keep up their recent pace. 10-4-1 in their last 15.

Or their pace with Nico, which I don't have the actual numbers on, but it's good.
Keeping up a 10-4-1 pace would easily put them in the playoffs, but that might be wishful thinking.

Brendan smith channeling his inner Jack Hughes with that breakaway goal!!! lol.

His first as a Devil!! Devils take the final wild card spot. Great game by Daws and huge game tomorrow!!

LGD!

I'm not convinced there's a trade in the works just yet, I think now that Daws has returned from his hip surgery and played a few games in the AHL, Fitz wants to see if he might be the answer to our goaltending woes since giving him a shot doesn't cost us any assets like a trade would. Part of it is also that Schmid is approaching the limit of games you can play without having to clear waivers to be sent down, so now is a perfect time to send Schmid down to give Daws a shot. It's also possible Fitz isn't counting on Daws to be our answer, but is just hoping he plays well enough to give himself more leverage and not be so desperate in trade negotiations.

Reactions: TM94goRU and RU-05
Great win! I would like to bottle the effort. If there is a trade, I hope Fitz doesn't include Daws. Great job by Ruff to play Chris Tierney against one of his former teams.

It is very interesting to track who gets the most back-to-backs, hint being some draw the short straw more often. They used to at least try to limit them to home games or short trips. Not Ottawa than Boston, you even have to go through customs! Combine our wonderful schedule with 3 point games and you will see why I'm pessimistic about our playoff chances. We will be agonizingly close IMO. Tonight the league got the result they wanted.

To hell with Zacha, he was never that physical in a Devils uniform, and he never played that well for us.

Vitek is what he is. Too much to expect a save or two once adversity hits. But how does this bonehead HC not call timeout at anytime during a 4 goal burst against? The problems with this team start behind the bench.

The team hit a wall 25 minutes in, no legs. Lindy is 65 and runs a country club at this stage.

The team hit a wall 25 minutes in, no legs. Lindy is 65 and runs a country club at this stage.
Was at the game. Sorry guys, should have warned y'all. I have been to many devils bruins games over the years, and the devils have yet to win while I've been there. Someday maybe.

We looked a little slow in the first. Then all hell broke loose in the second. Seems like at least one Devil was playing without a stick like half the period. Nothing could go right. Then, bizarrely, in the third we dominated except for a few unpleasant defensive breakdowns. Brendan Smith did not have a good game. Goal scoring must have gone to his head. But all of the D had a few moments. It's wild watching the Hughes bros up close. VV should have stopped the first goal. Jake Debrusk has no business scoring on that one, my grandma could have sniffed out that deke. And the second one was a total flub by all involved. But on the flip side the Bruins were getting wide open in front of the net time after time....that is not a recipe for winning a game.

Was at the game. Sorry guys, should have warned y'all. I have been to many devils bruins games over the years, and the devils have yet to win while I've been there. Someday maybe.

We looked a little slow in the first. Then all hell broke loose in the second. Seems like at least one Devil was playing without a stick like half the period. Nothing could go right. Then, bizarrely, in the third we dominated except for a few unpleasant defensive breakdowns. Brendan Smith did not have a good game. Goal scoring must have gone to his head. But all of the D had a few moments. It's wild watching the Hughes bros up close. VV should have stopped the first goal. Jake Debrusk has no business scoring on that one, my grandma could have sniffed out that deke. And the second one was a total flub by all involved. But on the flip side the Bruins were getting wide open in front of the net time after time....that is not a recipe for winning a game.
Sorry you paid to see that! I really think it stems from being fatiqued. The 2nd is where their skates looked stuck in cement. Boston for their part, I believe played a little rope a dope tonight, they sat back knowing the Devils would be tired, and when the turnovers happened pounced.

Typically breakdowns and subpar netminding put this game in the loss column. Sadly still a lot of growing pains to go through. I hope Fitz strengthens goal and Defense soon, we need it.

Rumor has it the Devils and Flames are working on a defenseman trade and possibly a goalie as well. Stay tuned.

Where do you see this??
Still early, but they are talking. I heard it would be Tanev or Halifan if it happens for D. Then they are also talking about the old Canes goalie currently in Calgary Jacob Markstrom.

Compensation from the Devils was not brought up. I think either the Ducks are playing hardball or the Devils want a team to sweeten the deal on our end ( competition).
It seems the price for Allen went way up with Toronto looking for a goalie.

Time will tell. I just wanted to get the thread back to hockey and out of negativity. Sometimes a person can make it impossible to defend them, and make you feel bad you ever did 😆.

James Nichols is reporting trade talks involving Mike McLeod are heating up.

Well with the Hockey Canada investigation, this must be part of our give up plan. His value on the ice has never been higher.

Reactions: goru1869
Who? I doubt that guy has any legit connections
James Nichols is an insider who regularly covers the team. If it comes to not be true, it will not be because his best friend came up with a rumor. He put this on X, I saw it on the Devils Reddit.

This also lines up with my feeling Fitz would move shortly after the Christmas break. My only question is, is this option A or an attempt to start a reverse bidding war. Keep in mind the Devils have a deep farm system and plenty of draft capital. Since many seem to want to leave Calgary, maybe their GM wants to improve the team through trades, with controllable assets.

At the start of the '24 calendar year, NJ sits at 19-14-2 - tied for 5th in the Metro Division meatgrinder. They sit 1 point out of the last Wild Card spot with 3 games in hand on TB and at least 1 game in hand on NYI, PHI and CAR who are all within 4 points inside the division. As underwhelming as the first 3 months have felt, NJ is 11-5-1 since 11/24. As we look ahead to the 2nd half, many questions still remain:
  • Will Fitzgerald pull the trigger on a move to help the goaltending/defense?
  • What is Timo Meier's injury situation?
  • How big a role will Nico Daws be given?
  • Can John Marino and Jonas Siegenthaler find the games that made them so valuable last year?
  • Will Alexander Holtz be given more than 7 minutes of ice time next to actual NHL players?
  • How will they address their 1-6-1 mark in the 2nd game of back to backs w/8 more of these left to play?
Sneaky big game tomorrow night @WSH, who they are tied with in the standings, but have played 1 less game. WSH beat them twice in Newark scoring 10 goals across those games (they're the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league). They then host CHI on Friday (shouldn't be treated as a layup given how they've played bad teams at home) and VAN on Saturday. They play the most difficult schedule in the NHL the rest of the way.

Reactions: RU-05
At the start of the '24 calendar year, NJ sits at 19-14-2 - tied for 5th in the Metro Division meatgrinder. They sit 1 point out of the last Wild Card spot with 3 games in hand on TB and at least 1 game in hand on NYI, PHI and CAR who are all within 4 points inside the division. As underwhelming as the first 3 months have felt, NJ is 11-5-1 since 11/24. As we look ahead to the 2nd half, many questions still remain:
  • Will Fitzgerald pull the trigger on a move to help the goaltending/defense?
  • What is Timo Meier's injury situation?
  • How big a role will Nico Daws be given?
  • Can John Marino and Jonas Siegenthaler find the games that made them so valuable last year?
  • Will Alexander Holtz be given more than 7 minutes of ice time next to actual NHL players?
  • How will they address their 1-6-1 mark in the 2nd game of back to backs w/8 more of these left to play?
Sneaky big game tomorrow night @WSH, who they are tied with in the standings, but have played 1 less game. WSH beat them twice in Newark scoring 10 goals across those games (they're the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league). They then host CHI on Friday (shouldn't be treated as a layup given how they've played bad teams at home) and VAN on Saturday. They play the most difficult schedule in the NHL the rest of the way.
Yes, losing to the teams in their immediate vicinity in the standings like Washington and Philly is a major part of what needs to change ASAP.

If Fitz doesn’t acquire a legit top #1 goalie soon , they will be out of the playoff race by St Patty’s day

Timo was finally playing like a top-6 forward and he reinjures his ailment?

They can’t win many games with Lazar in a top-9 role and Tierney in the lineup.

Jack has to stop the high risk passes that turn into giveaways and opponent odd man rushes

Also, Miller has earned a top-6 regulars shift and ruff keeps scratching him.

Devils dug themselves a deep hole but they still have a small chance to right the ship if Fitz gives them a chance.

*Fitz should get his head examined if he has McLoud on the block. One of the few Devils that plays a hard game and has stones

Meier got hurt after the Devils again, did nothing after Toffoli took a spear. If this team doesn't start sticking up for one another, they will find themselves playing golf alone come playoff time. Can't play as individuals!

James Nichols who broke the McLeod story is a Devils beat reporter, who is well respected. Ryan No. who reports for NJ.COM came out yesterday and contradicted Nicholls report. My take is Fitz was not pleased by the news getting out and went to a "buddy" to try and throw cold water on it. Nichols is the more respected source.

This is what ALL GM's do, listen to offers. McLeod not only may be in legal hot water soon ( 2018 Hockey Canada hazing incident ) he is having a career year in a contract year. With the Devils signing all their stars long-term, and young players like Mercer, L. Hughes, and Nemec needing new contracts soon, Mercer this off season, they can't keep everyone. This is why I thought Bratt or someone of his ilk would be traded last summer. Hard Cap!

Now is it risky? Yes,
Nico and Jack are small injury prone players. However this team is not complete, and you need to trade wisely. McLeod's value will never be higher, and while our face off percentage will suffer, now is the time. Tierney was signed to fill in for McLeod. Read between the lines, the Devils probably expect his name to be featured prominently, and for him to at least be suspended long-term. Goalkeepers are expensive!

If Fitz doesn’t acquire a legit top #1 goalie soon , they will be out of the playoff race by St Patty’s day

Timo was finally playing like a top-6 forward and he reinjures his ailment?

They can’t win many games with Lazar in a top-9 role and Tierney in the lineup.

Jack has to stop the high risk passes that turn into giveaways and opponent odd man rushes

Also, Miller has earned a top-6 regulars shift and ruff keeps scratching him.

Devils dug themselves a deep hole but they still have a small chance to right the ship if Fitz gives them a chance.

*Fitz should get his head examined if he has McLoud on the block. One of the few Devils that plays a hard game and has stones
Miller has been good. Should never be on the bench instead of Smith. McCloud has been good.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Meier got hurt after the Devils again, did nothing after Toffoli took a spear. If this team doesn't start sticking up for one another, they will find themselves playing golf alone come playoff time. Can't play as individuals!

James Nichols who broke the McLeod story is a Devils beat reporter, who is well respected. Ryan No. who reports for NJ.COM came out yesterday and contradicted Nicholls report. My take is Fitz was not pleased by the news getting out and went to a "buddy" to try and throw cold water on it. Nichols is the more respected source.

This is what ALL GM's do, listen to offers. McLeod not only may be in legal hot water soon ( 2018 Hockey Canada hazing incident ) he is having a career year in a contract year. With the Devils signing all their stars long-term, and young players like Mercer, L. Hughes, and Nemec needing new contracts soon, Mercer this off season, they can't keep everyone. This is why I thought Bratt or someone of his ilk would be traded last summer. Hard Cap!

Now is it risky? Yes,
Nico and Jack are small injury prone players. However this team is not complete, and you need to trade wisely. McLeod's value will never be higher, and while our face off percentage will suffer, now is the time. Tierney was signed to fill in for McLeod. Read between the lines, the Devils probably expect his name to be featured prominently, and for him to at least be suspended long-term. Goalkeepers are expensive!
Nichols was given bad info bruh

Devils need a stronger backbone. Ulmark spears Toff and no one did anything

Ruff really is a beaut. Continuing to play Holtz on that joke of a 4th line - I'd sooner play Smith on the 4th line than Bastian. Haula has been terrible for weeks and gets 2nd line action. Miller still sits behind Smith.

Oh and no Meier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT