ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Being up here in Boston I watched the Bruins version of the game and the announcers couldn't stop gushing about Nico Daws. according to their count the Bruins had over 20 'high danger chances' and they were amazed at how many he stopped.

Also Andy Brickly is the NESN color man now and he had a story about the infamous snow storm 1987 the game: Apparently he showed up to the rink after 9 PM and at that point the Devils had managed to get up to the minimum number of players (something like 12?) and had been forced to submit a roster of who would be able to play, so everyone who showed up after that (Including Andy) were not allowed in the game even though they made the trek.
Devils on the other hand had maybe 4 high danger opportunities

Do you not realize they’re down their entire top defensive pair..their leading scorer..they were without their captain for weeks…and they’re still in a great position to get into the playoffs.

Not making excuses, but there’s no way fitz gets fired.

Also keep in mind this team is YOUNG and set up for the next decade. Their championship window has barely even opened yet,

To suggest Fitz should be fired is hilarious and shows a pretty large lack of knowledge about where this team is right now…

I keep in touch with around a dozen long time diehard Devils fans like myself.
Guys I used to tailgate with at the meadowlands and we got into our fair share of scraps with rags and flyers fans there.

Most of them are also very pissed off with Fitzgerald and how bad he’s been since the offseason

I don’t want to hear the injury excuse

I keep in touch with around a dozen long time diehard Devils fans like myself.
Guys I used to tailgate with at the meadowlands and we got into our fair share of scraps with rags and flyers fans there.

Most of them are also very pissed off with Fitzgerald and how bad he’s been since the offseason

I don’t want to hear the injury excuse

What are they mad at? I think we’ve found our goalie…

Do they want a shutdown D-man?

So a team you’ve said since the first week…is terrible and isn’t a playoff team..you wouldn’t be happy with s wild card spot. Makes no sense if you’re truly a fan.

I’d be ecstatic if I thought a team I root for is terrible but somehow makes the playoffs. Weird way of thinking…

They have a lot of skill but are VERY soft and they lack a good veteran #1 goalie.

Fans that know the game were begging Fitzgerald to address those weaknesses preseason.

He didn’t

And no, we’re not going to get into the playoffs with Daws making the bulk of the starts.

They have a lot of skill but are VERY soft and they lack a good veteran #1 goalie.

Fans that know the game were begging Fitzgerald to address those weaknesses preseason.

He didn’t

And no, we’re not going to get into the playoffs with Daws making the bulk of the starts.

You didn’t think this was playoff team since week 1. Fine.

Just silly to say you won’t be happy if we do…that thinking makes zero sense. I could understand that thinking if you think we’re world beaters and sneak in…fine, very underwhelming. But to think we suck..then make the playoffs and not be happy: weird.

And I’m glad you are able to admit they have a ton of skill. I think most people knowledgeable about the game know that even with the weaknesses you mention..the amount of skill on the team can overcome it.

Last edited:
You didn’t think this was playoff team since week 1. Fine.

Just silly to say you won’t be happy if we do…that thinking makes zero sense. I could understand that thinking if you think we’re world beaters and sneak in…fine, very underwhelming. But to think we suck..then make the playoffs and not be happy: weird.

Thankfully you’re not a psychologist- keep your day job

I’ll be very happy if this subpar team defies the odds and makes the playoffs

But I give them zero chance
Mark my words

Thankfully you’re not a psychologist- keep your day job

I’ll be very happy if this subpar team defies the odds and makes the playoffs

But I give them zero chance
Mark my words

Good to know…as a few posts ago you said you wouldn’t even be “content” with a playoff berth.

Now you’ll be “very happy”… good to see some knowledgeable hockey discussion is changing your view a bit

Good to know…as a few posts ago you said you wouldn’t even be “content” with a playoff berth.

Now you’ll be “very happy”… good to see some knowledgeable hockey discussion is changing your view a bit
Wrong again Duke.
You’re imagining stuff now.

Are you a customer service rep with the Devils?

You’re in big time denial

Nope. I do work in the sport though.

GIF by moodman

Devils now in 6th place in the Metro.
Out of 8 teams.

And we have some fans content about it

Division standings aren’t too important. It’s conference standings that matter. Still 2 points outside a playoff spot. 3 games in hand…certainly not “content”..but that’s why
I’m not panicking

I'm sure it's lost on you but I couldn't help but notice the irony that the way you voiced your agreement with millennials abbreviating too much is by using an abbreviation that is so old that it has been largely phased out before millennials ever needed to use it.

I'm pretty sure most of these modern informal acronyms started in the mid-late 90s when kids started emailing and chatting on AOL while their typing skills were not yet fully developed. It's not just young people anymore though, I had a boss who would use so many abbreviations and acronyms in his emails I often had to call him and ask what they meant. He also changed the default font size of his emails to something that must have been in the 30-50 range because he thought he was only making it easier to read on his own screen and didn't realize they were being sent that way. Probably not surprising this dunce was a former NY Rangers assistant GM.

We’re not falling further out of the wild card. We’re in the same position we’ve been in almost all season. 2 points out with 3 games at hand. Capitals win tonight didn’t effect devils wild card position at all
I know you’ll continue to make every denial and excuse in the book until they are officially eliminated. I can’t really blame you because as fans all we have is hope.

But , I just know that it ain’t our year.
We won’t make the playoffs

I know you’ll continue to make every denial and excuse in the book until they are officially eliminated. I can’t really blame you because as fans all we have is hope.

But , I just know that it ain’t our year.
We won’t make the playoffs

Ok..that’s not my argument..though.

I know you think this..you’ve thought this all season. No need to continually mention it.

I have no clue if they’ll make it or not…I do know that they’re in the same exact playoff position as they were yesterday despite you saying they’re “falling” because of a result tonight. Just not true.

As we keep falling further out of the WC and have a share load of long term injuries including our star
History is not on our side, where the playoffs are concerned. Also with the injury bug so entrenched this year, it doesn't look good.

For as I posted over a month ago, with 3 point games as well as a logjam of other teams around us, I don't see it this year. Fitz still needs to reconfigurate. Without LTIR we are less than 500K under the cap. Players like Toffoli need extensions after this season.

History is not on our side, where the playoffs are concerned. Also with the injury bug so entrenched this year, it doesn't look good.

For as I posted over a month ago, with 3 point games as well as a logjam of other teams around us, I don't see it this year. Fitz still needs to reconfigurate. Without LTIR we are less than 500K under the cap. Players like Toffoli need extensions after this season.
Can we trade Toffoli back for Sharongovich?

• Haha
Reactions: TM94goRU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT