ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NJ Devils 2023-2024 Thread

Fitzgerald has built the right team. It’s our coaching…
Respectfully disagree, we must get bigger and stronger. Even against Ottawa as soon as Kurtis goes out our players start to shrink up, turning the puck over. We have enough skill, we need more tenacity and strength. Now hopefully Bahl will continue to play angry and Stillman will be ready next year. However it wouldn't be a bad thing to get a couple of guys to keep our opponents honest when our heavyweight is not available.

This is why Ovechkin plays with Tom Wilson on his line. Just like Gretzky always had a goon on his line like Marty Mcsorely. You need different ingredients to build a winning team.

Respectfully disagree, we must get bigger and stronger. Even against Ottawa as soon as Kurtis goes out our players start to shrink up, turning the puck over. We have enough skill, we need more tenacity and strength. Now hopefully Bahl will continue to play angry and Stillman will be ready next year. However it wouldn't be a bad thing to get a couple of guys to keep our opponents honest when our heavyweight is not available.

This is why Ovechkin plays with Tom Wilson on his line. Just like Gretzky always had a goon on his line like Marty Mcsorely. You need different ingredients to build a winning team.
Bahl, yes. I’ve mentioned this a few times.

The Great #8 though does pretty good holding his own.

Reactions: TM94goRU

I get your thinking, but yes we disagree.

The team plays great a few days and terrible others. That’s on coaching. Some days look like they have no clue what to do on the PP..others they all look like Gretzky on the PP. that’s on coaching.

When they dominate vs the islanders, jets, stars, blues predators and avalanche..just shows they have the makeup to be very good.

Bahl, yes. I’ve mentioned this a few times.

The Great #8 though does pretty good holding his own.
True as he is 245 pounds. However the fact that he is a strong power forward and Washington still plays Tom Wilson on his line, says that you leave no leeway for a player to lose his head and go after a star. Whether it's Hischier, Bratt, or a Hughes amongst other's the Devils NEED more than 1 deterrent.

I get your thinking, but yes we disagree.

The team plays great a few days and terrible others. That’s on coaching. Some days look like they have no clue what to do on the PP..others they all look like Gretzky on the PP. that’s on coaching.

When they dominate vs the islanders, jets, stars, blues predators and avalanche..just shows they have the makeup to be very good.
Yes coaching has been a huge problem, which is why I blame Fitz more than Ruff. However while this team is immature, they also clearly play worse when they play bigger physical teams. Most of Luke's worst turnovers have to do with big players about to hit him.

Now the Hughes Boys, Bratt, Nico, and others need remedial weight training, but I truly think this team could use 2 or 3 more BIG and tough players to keep the opposition honest. Case in point in my mind, where the rubber meets the road, Jack has NOT had an NHL season where he has stayed healthy! While not all have been serious or caused by a dirty play, injuries are cumulative. This is why I am happy with the recent chatter that Fitz is talking to Montreal.

True as he is 245 pounds. However the fact that he is a strong power forward and Washington still plays Tom Wilson on his line, says that you leave no leeway for a player to lose his head and go after a star. Whether it's Hischier, Bratt, or a Hughes amongst other's the Devils NEED more than 1 deterrent.
Wayne Simmonds was supposed to be that.

Nice WIN by this young team. If nothing else we will finish painfully close. We have 76 points, the Flyers have 82 as the freaking Rangers don't beat them in regulation.

Reactions: RU-05 and goru1869
Hughes, Hischier, Meier and Bratt have combined for SEVENTY TWO points over the last 15 games. Allen and Kahkonen have combined for a 2.39 GAA and a .928 save percentage in their 9 games. They profile as a team that no one would want to face in the playoffs right now. But this is why you don't wait 4+ months to make changes. The loser point is a killer, but as predicted so are the points given away to the likes of ANA 2X, ARZ, CBJ, MTL, OTT and SJ. I'm fully prepared for them to finish 2 points out - which is a shame because they hold the tiebreakers over literally everyone else in the race.

Hughes, Hischier, Meier and Bratt have combined for SEVENTY TWO points over the last 15 games. Allen and Kahkonen have combined for a 2.39 GAA and a .928 save percentage in their 9 games. They profile as a team that no one would want to face in the playoffs right now. But this is why you don't wait 4+ months to make changes. The loser point is a killer, but as predicted so are the points given away to the likes of ANA 2X, ARZ, CBJ, MTL, OTT and SJ. I'm fully prepared for them to finish 2 points out - which is a shame because they hold the tiebreakers over literally everyone else in the race.
I think this run is showing the importance of goal tending, but we are getting elite level goal tending right now.....from 2 guys who we shouldn't expect to give us elite level goal tending. The team isn't playing especially well actually. Certainly didn't play great last night.

I think this run is showing the importance of goal tending, but we are getting elite level goal tending right now.....from 2 guys who we shouldn't expect to give us elite level goal tending. The team isn't playing especially well actually. Certainly didn't play great last night.
My point was more about them riding white hot goaltending and high-end scoring into the playoffs. How long that continues is another question, but that can often carry teams in the Spring. Granted they looked awful vs. OTT, but they played 2 very strong games vs. PIT and WPG just prior. They followed that Saturday mess with a 4-0 shutout on the island before hanging 6 on Toronto. Now Toronto did take it to them for long stretches last night, but I liked what I saw overall - no sag after going down 3-2 and they kept the play in front of them and didn't chase a high-powered Toronto team in the 3rd. For once, it was the Devils capitalizing on mistakes.

Reactions: RU-05
Bad teams in SJ, bad goaltending in NJ doesn’t help timo’s +/- A guy who plays pp but not pk will also be negatively affected.
True, but before his scoring run he was like 850th or something in the league re +/-. Literally only couple players worse who weren't on Sharks or Blackhawks.

Reactions: Section124
Ruff played Timo through injury (which he acknowledged) and egregiously misused him. Since becoming a fixture in the top-6 and on the PP, he has 25 points in 17 games. He leads the NHL in goal scoring in March. Timo Meier doesn't crack the top 20 concerns I have with this team looking forward.

Ruff played Timo through injury (which he acknowledged) and egregiously misused him. Since becoming a fixture in the top-6 and on the PP, he has 25 points in 17 games. He leads the NHL in goal scoring in March. Timo Meier doesn't crack the top 20 concerns I have with this team looking forward.
Ruff's gone, so I don't see the importance of debating him, but if the medical staff clears him, and he's willing to play, then of coarse the coach is going to play him.

And then we could debate where an slowed by injury guy should play? Top 6? Top PP? Not sure that makes sense.

I actually do give Timo a bunch of credit for playing through the injury. Same with Jack. Yes it's frustrating that they weren't/aren't playing at the top of their games, but battling through injury is something that players, at times at least, have to do.

Ruff's gone, so I don't see the importance of debating him, but if the medical staff clears him, and he's willing to play, then of coarse the coach is going to play him.

And then we could debate where an slowed by injury guy should play? Top 6? Top PP? Not sure that makes sense.

I actually do give Timo a bunch of credit for playing through the injury. Same with Jack. Yes it's frustrating that they weren't/aren't playing at the top of their games, but battling through injury is something that players, at times at least, have to do.
But do you agree, like I do, with @RUfromNJ that Timo is not one of the pressing team issues moving ahead?

True, but before his scoring run he was like 850th or something in the league re +/-. Literally only couple players worse who weren't on Sharks or Blackhawks.
At least break it out to 5v5 +/-.

Timo is a + with Nico. He's a plus with Allen. So linemates certainly factor in. As does goal tending. As does health.

Was Timo playing his best while injured on the 3rd line? No, but why dwell on it if we know he is very good when healthy and playing in the top 6?

Also, half of Timo's PP goals this season have come in the last 12 games, which doesn't show up in +/- but is indicative of strong play.

Last edited:
But do you agree, like I do, with @RUfromNJ that Timo is not one of the pressing team issues moving ahead?
100%. He's been a beast of late.

Now if he's banged up again for a long stretch next year, I'd be wary of injury concerns, but as of right now, I see it as a blip.

And again, I actually give him credit for battling through the injury.

100%. He's been a beast of late.

Now if he's banged up again for a long stretch next year, I'd be wary of injury concerns, but as of right now, I see it as a blip.

And again, I actually give him credit for battling through the injury.
I agree.

I also like (and I’m sure his teammates did too) how quickly he went after Anders Lee the other day.

Timo isn’t afraid of the physical aspect of the game . Should finish in the top 5 in hits for devils with over 100

whelp.that should just about do it,

Up 2-0 early in the 1st…..lose 4-2. Was pretty much a must win,

Up 2-0
5 on 3
Pass up 4-5 shots
Jack over dances with puck
Loses puck and puck cleared
Nothing for 50 mins after that

No one on this team should be untouchable in the offseason.

The Hughes brothers, Timo, Bratt…should all be dangled and see what the price is…

Fitting way for the dream to die! It looked like Ruff was back coaching. Sadly this Charmin soft team proves we are NOT just a goalie and coach away.

Other moves I would make that haven't been mentioned are as follows,
1- Nico gets the C removed. Simply no leadership on this team.
2- Fitzgerald must bring in grit and size, at least 2 or 3 players.
3- at least 1 of our small, weak, and soft players MUST be traded! Even if his name is Jack Hughes. Show everyone else that they will be held accountable.

Lastly I hire someone like Berube to coach this team. No more country club atmosphere!

Reactions: goru1869
Fitting way for the dream to die! It looked like Ruff was back coaching. Sadly this Charmin soft team proves we are NOT just a goalie and coach away.

3- at least 1 of our small, weak, and soft players MUST be traded! Even if his name is Jack Hughes. Show everyone else that they will be held accountable.

Lastly I hire someone like Berube to coach this team. No more country club atmosphere!
I've said number 1 for a long time now and everyone (except for I think you as remember one person liking my post) glossed over it and continues the same tired excuses of coaching and goaltending.

They've gotten very good to excellent goaltending since the trade deadline. They're 5-5 with a bunch of bad losses. They made a change and fired the coach mid-season. Nothings changed.

People can keep pointing to same excuses but it's more than those things...

The silver lining in this disappointing year is the hope it leads to some smart decisions. This team is not only small and weak, these guys lack a killer instinct. Some have fallen into bad habits, while others have decided to pass to only certain teammates. This is the time to reset a failed/frail foundation.

Reactions: goru1869
The silver lining in this disappointing year is the hope it leads to some smart decisions. This team is not only small and weak, these guys lack a killer instinct. Some have fallen into bad habits, while others have decided to pass to only certain teammates. This is the time to reset a failed/frail foundation.
Brooks column in the post touches on lot of these things. He called it the second most disappointing season in franchise history...

Nico is not being stripped of the C. Jack Hughes is not being traded.

Bringing in size and grit does make sense, but it has certainly been mentioned, and those guys do need to be able to play, the Brendan Smith's, and Kurtis MacDermid's of the world are not going to cut it.

Devs should go after ryan lomberg, max domi and dumba. Low-ish cost options that will change the whole dynamic of the team. The team and culture is so so so soft

Nico is not being stripped of the C. Jack Hughes is not being traded.

Bringing in size and grit does make sense, but it has certainly been mentioned, and those guys do need to be able to play, the Brendan Smith's, and Kurtis MacDermid's of the world are not going to cut it.
Nico is not captain material and im not saying hes not liked by the guys but he doesnt really hang out with the guys off the ice. The problem is idk who else deserves the C. They dont really have a natural leader in that locker room.

Devs should go after ryan lomberg, max domi and dumba. Low-ish cost options that will change the whole dynamic of the team. The team and culture is so so so soft
When your "leader" is small and gets hurt all the time, it will be hard to change that culture.

Reactions: TM94goRU and KK1827
Brooks column in the post touches on lot of these things. He called it the second most disappointing season in franchise history...
Tough one between this year and 95-96. Losing to Ottawa on last day, not in despite 86 points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT