ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NY Rangers 2023-2024 Thread

Kreider with a legendary 3rd, but a lesser goalie than Igor, Carolina puts up 8. Some of those saves were just unreal.

Reactions: jtung230
Igor is so good. It really is clown stuff to say goaltending doesnt matter. The teams that are trying to build by going cheap on goalies and going all in on finesse are donezo

#20 will hang in the rafters

i was ready to kill the leadership after the second period tonight , and then Kreider gets a hat trick and Igor says nyet. They were so clutch tonight . Moving on!!

Reactions: RU Cheese
Fell asleep ! Did the the Rangers win?

So reminiscent of 1994 !

Kreider became Messier !

Igor is so good. It really is clown stuff to say goaltending doesnt matter. The teams that are trying to build by going cheap on goalies and going all in on finesse are donezo

#20 will hang in the rafters
Teams like Carolina, Toronto and Edmonton are squandering year after year because they don’t get goaltending settled.

The Rangers? Seriously? Devils fan here, and in my humble opinion the Rangers were outplayed in all except the first game in the series. But yet here they are up 3-2, and the plain cold hard fact is that Carolina winning 4 straight is just really unlikely. Shesterkin just needs to steal one more game. Odds are he will.
Words of reason between games 5-6. Down 0-3, Carolina had no margin for error. Credit to the Rangers for the clutch early series wins to be in that position, and then finishing it off last night.

Wow, wow, wow... unbelievable 3rd period by NYR. I want to go back and watch the 3rd period just to see if I can see the turnaround.

Anyone with knowledge of hockey strategies and plays... what the Hell changed? It seemed like the pressure on the Rangers in their own end eased a bit. Was that because Carolina was nursing a lead, the Rangers started scoring so the Canes eased off the pressure? And the possessions in the Canes D zone got so much better; cycling the puck, Kreider getting in front of Anderson... I'm still getting goosebumps from thinking about it. My dog was afraid last night with all of my cheers, hooting and hollering. LOL.

Let's go, Rangers!!!

Wow, wow, wow... unbelievable 3rd period by NYR. I want to go back and watch the 3rd period just to see if I can see the turnaround.

Anyone with knowledge of hockey strategies and plays... what the Hell changed? It seemed like the pressure on the Rangers in their own end eased a bit. Was that because Carolina was nursing a lead, the Rangers started scoring so the Canes eased off the pressure? And the possessions in the Canes D zone got so much better; cycling the puck, Kreider getting in front of Anderson... I'm still getting goosebumps from thinking about it. My dog was afraid last night with all of my cheers, hooting and hollering. LOL.

Let's go, Rangers!!!
My daughter turned 2 during the 1994 Stanley Cup. Wife would get upset with me if I cheered too loud. Last night different story, my daughter was cheering with me.

My daughter turned 2 during the 1994 Stanley Cup. Wife would get upset with me if I cheered too loud. Last night different story, my daughter was cheering with me.
That’s cool Bird😊

Didn’t think we had a chance after the 3rd period started with two posts and breakaway by Aho.

Miraculously, we had a 10 minute span of complete dominance, clean zone entries, no reversing of the puck and the Canes completely running around… incredible.

Oh yea, we all new Freddy wouldn’t make the big save, any pressure at all from us was going to result in the puck in the net

Reactions: RuBird
Teams like Carolina, Toronto and Edmonton are squandering year after year because they don’t get goaltending settled.
Yup. Also why fitz build of the devils is deeply flawed. Small finesse + no goalie doesnt win in the spring.

Martinook is a playoff type bottom 6 player who will have some interest come July

Let's go, Rangers!!!
Carolina was breaking out far too easily in periods 1&2 and leading to odd man rushes. Carolina tried to keep the pedal to the medal which I was surprised on and it lead to us having easy zone entries in period 3 and once in the zone we got the cycle going and carolina’s man defensive system started looking a little tired.

That + jordan staal being their best PK’er and taking that penalty that led to the kreider PP deflection goal was huge

Reactions: Lerxst72
Yup. Also why fitz build of the devils is deeply flawed. Small finesse + no goalie doesnt win in the spring.

Martinook is a playoff type bottom 6 player who will have some interest come July
Drury nephew is a good player, obviously Seth Jarvis would be excellent.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Hey Carolina, sorry that Guentzel thing didn’t work out. Canes roster is going to look very different next year. Has their window closed?

Hey Carolina, sorry that Guentzel thing didn’t work out. Canes roster is going to look very different next year. Has their window closed?
Still have a deep enough prospect pool to remain a good team. Unfortunately for them, none of their top prospects is a goalie.

Reactions: mdh2003
I don't think RB'A should be fired. As said above, they need goalies. They have a potentially good one in Yaniv Perets in Norfolk. He would have been a better option than Andersen.

It's tough to say - they have an absurdly large number of players with expiring contracts (both RFA and UFA). Could look very similar next year or could look very different.

Anybody downplaying the importance of a goalie is nuts. Flip the goalies in this series and it is Hurricanes in 6 at worst.

Reactions: KK1827
Big physical team this round with best goalie the Rangers have seen yet in the playoffs.
What you guys think?

Big physical team this round with best goalie the Rangers have seen yet in the playoffs.
What you guys think?
Going to be very tough. I was hoping for Boston. NYR were 1-2 against Florida in the regular season (versus 3-0 against Boston).

If this is the kind of game the Rangers choose to play, it will be a short series. Credit to the Panthers for controlling the forecheck the way they want to. Rangers need to find ways to exit the defensive zone MUCH faster.

Also, Bobrovsky ain’t Anderson.

Last edited:
If this is the kind of game the Rangers choose to play, it will be a short series. Credit to the Panthers for controlling the forecheck the way they want to. Rangers need to find ways to exit the defensive zone MUCH faster.

The Panthers are just a better team. That doesn't mean this can't be a long series and perhaps even an NYR win. However, things need to quickly change. It's going to be tough.

Probably the most boring playoff game ive ever watched. Even more boring then the devils trap days

Lost in last night’s defeat and the series win over the Hurricanes:

Fox is playing at a snail’s pace… Outside of his first touch ability which will always be there, he has absolutely no impact carrying the puck or creating space.

Reactions: Randal7

Fox is playing at a snail’s pace… Outside of his first touch ability which will always be there, he has absolutely no impact carrying the puck or creating space.
That knee on knee hit he took in the Washington series has to have caused a problem. He is playing like a shell of himself.

That knee on knee hit he took in the Washington series has to have caused a problem. He is playing like a shell of himself.
This has to be the explanation. Whenever we play our last game, I’m convinced we’ll hear news about a Fox injury.

Fox is obviously hurt. Its not a secret. MCL

Reactions: Randal7
Really adversely affecting his ability to accelerate.
He’s not fast when he’s healthy, but he certain had an explosive first step that allowed him to evade that first defender
At what point do you sit him down? Lindgren is banged up too...

At what point do you sit him down? Lindgren is banged up too...
You can’t. Even at half a leg, FOX is still the best defender on the team. The problem is the offense. Maybe sit GUS and play JONES? Put someone else on the PP point? There are no good answers for an injury to a Norris trophy winner.

Reactions: KK1827 and Randal7
You can’t. Even at half a leg, FOX is still the best defender on the team. The problem is the offense. Maybe sit GUS and play JONES? Put someone else on the PP point? There are no good answers for an injury to a Norris trophy winner.
The problem is that Lindgren has been exposed under pressure with Fox’s inability to dominate with the puck.

I like Jones a lot, but we know he isn’t getting in barring someone actually missing games due to injury.

I would reshuffle the pairs to get a decent puck mover on each pair, even though it breaks up Miller/Schneider.

Gustafson-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Lindgren-Schneider

While we are talking injury, I think something might be going on with Vesey as well, he has struggled the last few weeks. Brodzinski or Rempe deserve a shot, especially since Lav isn’t giving the 4th line that much time anyway.

The problem is that Lindgren has been exposed under pressure with Fox’s inability to dominate with the puck.
He is a heart a soul player, but his play has taken a nosedive. Unless you are getting another uninjured Norris level partner for him, jettisoning LINDGREN to the sun is a way better solution.

The problem of trying to solve this problem now is that FOX is still the best D, even on one leg. LINDGREN would get exposed more playing with a worse player. TBH, if FOX was 100% and could handle more minutes, partnering him with Gus/etc. and tying LINDGREN to a 10 minute playing 3rd pair would be optimal. But, that has been the case all year and the Coach hasn’t done it all year, so he probably wouldn’t here either.

He is a heart a soul player, but his play has taken a nosedive. Unless you are getting another uninjured Norris level partner for him, jettisoning LINDGREN to the sun is a way better solution.

The problem of trying to solve this problem now is that FOX is still the best D, even on one leg. LINDGREN would get exposed more playing with a worse player. TBH, if FOX was 100% and could handle more minutes, partnering him with Gus/etc. and tying LINDGREN to a 10 minute playing 3rd pair would be optimal. But, that has been the case all year and the Coach hasn’t done it all year, so he probably wouldn’t here either.
I never understand how these coaches don’t see that it is better to have a guy like Jones who can traverse both zones well than a bigger, tougher guy who can’t get the puck out of the zone.

I guess it because they DO see Jones be overpowered in front of the net sometimes, while they DON’T see all of the defensive zone pressure the team avoids with a Jones type versus Lindgren/Trouba constantly giving up the puck in the DZone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT