ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2021 NY Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The right word is misused- so we can get off the point now
Starters were misused even worse
Let’s say that they were for purposes of getting off that point. That problem, if real, was infinitesimal compared to the roster and its performance.

Fans watch a loss and bad seasons and then decide that if the same roster were utilized the way that they preferred, often in retrospect, the team would have won significantly more games in the long run. And that’s always nonsense. The plug and play changes that these fans prefer would at best (meaning the rare instance in which the fan is better at moves than the manager) make a marginal difference. But it’s good for complaining on the internet (and elsewhere).

JD Davis' season is over. He has been placed on the IL. Sean Reid-Foley activated. And in news that will sadden Met fans everywhere, Albert Almora Jr. has been DFA'd.

Looking to the future, Mets have a starting pitcher in AAA whom I haven't seen on any prospect lists, but he has a W-L record of 9-2. Started Sunday and got the win, allowing only one run. May be worth keeping this guy in mind. His name is Jerad Eickhoff.

But seriously folks, while the Mets big name pitching prospects are a year or so away, there are some names at AAA to keep an eye on: Adam Oller, Eric Orze, and Josh Walker to name three.

You think the Mets staff has been a revolving door? So far the Syracuse Mets have used 49 pitchers.

Looking to the future, Mets have a starting pitcher in AAA whom I haven't seen on any prospect lists, but he has a W-L record of 9-2. Started Sunday and got the win, allowing only one run. May be worth keeping this guy in mind. His name is Jerad Eickhoff.

But seriously folks, while the Mets big name pitching prospects are a year or so away, there are some names at AAA to keep an eye on: Adam Oller, Eric Orze, and Josh Walker to name three.

You think the Mets staff has been a revolving door? So far the Syracuse Mets have used 49 pitchers.
I hear Sidd Finch is a big time prospect for the Mets organization.

I'm in Phillies country, so I only have one question: will the Mets play hard against the Braves this weekend if the division race is still going The Padres were demoralized from seeing their playoff hopes vanish, but they played hard over the weekend, even though they lost. Will the Mets do the same?

I'm in Phillies country, so I only have one question: will the Mets play hard against the Braves this weekend if the division race is still going The Padres were demoralized from seeing their playoff hopes vanish, but they played hard over the weekend, even though they lost. Will the Mets do the same?
I hope not. Those jokers gave up on themselves, but would they be stupid enough to play for another team’s playoff hopes? That would be the ultimate insult to the Mets fans.

You're 2.5 games out. Win the next three, and you don't have to worry about us.

Reactions: Plum Street
You're 2.5 games out. Win the next three, and you don't have to worry about us.

The Phillies would have to win the next six not to have to worry about the Mets. Even if the Phillies sweep the Braves, the Braves can win by sweeping the Mets and beating the Rockies if the Phillies lose a game to the Marlins.

The Mets players gave up on the season a long time ago.
I know this is a popular sentiment, but I strongly disagree, mostly because I have no idea what it means.

The Mets have played poorly over the last two months. That doesn't mean they have given up. As a fan, I have no way to tell that. I'd have to be in their locker room to get an idea of that. I have not seen anything from any beat writer to suggest that the Mets have quit.

The Phillies would have to win the next six not to have to worry about the Mets. Even if the Phillies sweep the Braves, the Braves can win by sweeping the Mets and beating the Rockies if the Phillies lose a game to the Marlins.
1. If any team has to depend on another team to get into the playoffs, they don’t deserve to go.

2. I hope the Mets lose the rest of their games because F—- them.

Mets will play their regulars, although I don't know if that's good or not.

Mets starting pitchers will be Hill, Carrasco, and Stroman. Hill will give you five innings, two runs. Carrasco will get hit hard early and then settle down. If it comes down to the last game, Stroman just might throw a gem. Seven shutout innings, followed by Syndergaard, and deGrom gets the save!

I know this is a popular sentiment, but I strongly disagree, mostly because I have no idea what it means.

The Mets have played poorly over the last two months. That doesn't mean they have given up. As a fan, I have no way to tell that. I'd have to be in their locker room to get an idea of that. I have not seen anything from any beat writer to suggest that the Mets have quit.
I know as fans we like to think positively, but after 5-6 years of the same thing year in and year out, it is hard to think that this team has anything positive going for them. They collapse every year under pressure and only play well when they are seemingly out of contention. I am sorry, but as a team, they just aren’t winners.

Interesting SNY article that makes the case that Rojas should return. Here's a key paragraph,

Like it or not, the age of the taskmaster manager is over. No team is going to hire someone they don't think can have a good relationship with the players. And no team is going to hire someone who will be unwilling to work in a collaborative way with the analytics team and the front office.

Those who yearn for the return of the Lou Pinella type are going to be disappointed.

Interesting SNY article that makes the case that Rojas should return. Here's a key paragraph,

Like it or not, the age of the taskmaster manager is over. No team is going to hire someone they don't think can have a good relationship with the players. And no team is going to hire someone who will be unwilling to work in a collaborative way with the analytics team and the front office.

Those who yearn for the return of the Lou Pinella type are going to be disappointed.

I’m speaking for myself but if Mets bring back Rojas - I will seriously question renewal of my partial season ticket plan. He could not make playoffs in 2020 with 8 teams advancing into playoffs and total collapse under his helm from August of this year warrants him not returning without question
Either Cohen makes a commitment to win with qualified people or he won’t be receiving my money. Cohen’s theme of winning a WS within 5 years is not going to happen with Rojas and he better understand this and change this immediately.

I’m speaking for myself but if Mets bring back Rojas - I will seriously question renewal of my partial season ticket plan. He could not make playoffs in 2020 with 8 teams advancing into playoffs and total collapse under his helm from August of this year warrants him not returning without question
Either Cohen makes a commitment to win with qualified people or he won’t be receiving my money. Cohen’s theme of winning a WS within 5 years is not going to happen with Rojas and he better understand this and change this immediately.
Agree- and this is my thought on Rojas- if he was out there making moves and trying to find something that worked and for some reason the players keep failing him- then I would give him a little bit of respect. But the guy does nothing that isn't fed to him by the front office. So- he brings NOTHING to the table.

1. If any team has to depend on another team to get into the playoffs, they don’t deserve to go.

2. I hope the Mets lose the rest of their games because F—- them.
I realize you are very angry, but you should reconsider point one. There are 162 games in a major league baseball season, and each team plays the other teams in the division 19 times. So a second-place team always needs help from other teams to catch the front-runner.

Rojas' contract expires on October 30. The Mets don't have to fire him. They simply won't re-sign him -- unless the new POBO and GM want to. They will certainly have the authority to choose their own guy.

Sadly, that's the type of "managers" that front offices are now looking for. Hope this asinine trend ends soon!
Completely understand but that makes him even more expendable. The only thing a manager can do to stand out now is win...if you lose, you can be replaced easily.
But even today's robo managers still have to make some moves on the fly. Or have the balls to make an in game decision based on his gut feeling or experience and not be afraid to own up to it to the owners later.

Interesting contrast in post game interviews. Stroman is clearly relishing his upcoming free agency. Said he is open to returning to the Mets, but then he is open to anything. Expect no hometown discount here.

OTOH, Syndergaard spoke of how much he wants to stay a Met, and how he is optimistic it will happen. He was basically lobbying for a QO. Of course if he gets it, he has ten days to shop it around.

The difference between one guy with no negotiating leverage, and another guy with all of it.

We'll see on Syndergaard. He hit 96 mph, which was his limit in his minor league rehab starts. That's good, but he was a 98-100 mph guy before the injury. It's been only 18 months, so he very well may get all the velocity back. Of course, he also may not. It'll be interesting to see what happens. The Mets should be moving behind the scenes already to construct their front office going forward because you'd like those guys to make these decisions.

Interesting contrast in post game interviews. Stroman is clearly relishing his upcoming free agency. Said he is open to returning to the Mets, but then he is open to anything. Expect no hometown discount here.

OTOH, Syndergaard spoke of how much he wants to stay a Met, and how he is optimistic it will happen. He was basically lobbying for a QO. Of course if he gets it, he has ten days to shop it around.

The difference between one guy with no negotiating leverage, and another guy with all of it.
I'm sure Stroman realizes how far away this team is from winning anything so I don't blame him for keeping his options open. It would be nice to retain him as our #3 if the price is right.

In regard to Noah and Stro- Stroman has earned the right to shop it around. He had a very good season and earned a payday. Someone will offer him $20+
Noah- his play can only be for a QO. And we would be smart to give it to him. If he leaves, we get a pick. If he stays- well, he may come back as a smarter pitcher. And he may actually become better if he is at 96 rather than 100 mph.

Oh sure now we can beat the stinkin' Fish (when losses are preferred). 🤦‍♂️

Interesting observation from DiComo. The Mets led MLB in "negative WAR" due to injuries. The cumulative effect of the Mets injuries resulted in a negative WAR of 14.04. Fourteen wins! Figure at least half is directly attributable to the deGrom injury. Second in this stat was the Dodgers, with 12.82.

This raises a couple of questions.

1) Should we view this stat with optimism, assuming that there will be a reversion to the mean? Or does it suggest that our medical people and processes are substandard, and we can expect these ugly results to recur?

2) Obviously the Dodgers, with the second best record in baseball, have been able to overcome their injuries. Cohen has stated that the Dodgers are his organizational model. What will it take for the Mets to similarly overcome adversity?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT