ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Mets Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be 20 games up next year and it won’t matter. This really takes a huge bite out of any true excitement next season.

Mets are becoming the cubs but 29 other fan bases didn’t love to break cubs fans balls Every second

Reactions: Kbee3
Good series guys, as I said the other day it’s truly a shame we had to meet in the wildcard.

Baseball deserved 5 games of this at minimum.

I expected the Mets to win this series. But there's always the chance in a short series of running into hot pitchers and that's what happened to the Mets. (It's what happened to the Cardinals, too, plus some subpar fielding) The tragedy is that the Mets had to play this series. But that's less a matter of the Mets "choking" than of the Braves playing incredibly well the last couple of months.

For next year:

- Alvarez is starting catcher
- Baty is starting 3b
- Another power bat is needed to compliment Pete and Lindor
- I only bring back Nimmo , Walker and Bassitt on the cheap
- Do what it takes to bring back Jake and Diaz
- Cohen needs to make another big splash in off season because mood of fan base now is not good.
Don’t think Jake wants to be here and I think something is not right with him. Not sure I’d open the bank vault for him. Of course, he’ll probably sign with the Braves and kill the Mets for 5 more years.

Don’t think Jake wants to be here and I think something is not right with him. Not sure I’d open the bank vault for him. Of course, he’ll probably sign with the Braves and kill the Mets for 5 more years.
I do think Jake is gone. I get the sense he and or his wife want to move to Florida and he ll probably be with Braves next year for another kick in the teeth.

De This team always had serious offensive woes. I used to lose my mind when The Mets would crow about leading the league in infield hits. While being bottom half in the advanced hitting metrics like hard hit%. This was never a good hitting ball club.

Credit to the Padres who went balls to the wall to win this year. Ironic that they beat Billy Eppler’s Mets who prospect hugged to get Daniel Voglebach and Tyler Naquin. And yes I realize the Mets don’t have the pieces for the Soto deal. Eppler still had to do a better job than he did.

De This team always had serious offensive woes. I used to lose my mind when The Mets would crow about leading the league in infield hits. While being bottom half in the advanced hitting metrics like hard hit%. This was never a good hitting ball club.

Credit to the Padres who went balls to the wall to win this year. Ironic that they beat Billy Eppler’s Mets who prospect hugged to get Daniel Voglebach and Tyler Naquin. And yes I realize the Mets don’t have the pieces for the Soto deal. Eppler still had to do a better job than he did.
The Mets have the highest payroll in MLB.

Reactions: superfan01
Season was lost last week in Atlanta . The starting pitching let them down as they did this weekend. Max and Bassitt were just pathetic . I wonder if max is hurt.
Appreciative of all degrom did here, but if he walks, he walks.
Selfish of max to pitch if he was hurt. Cost his team bigitme

I'm all in for Philly against the Braves.
Definitely. Twitter is overrun with Braves affiliated people killing the Mets right now. Including one of their announcers. Can you see any of the Mets announcers doing that. Gary Cohen is too busy criticizing the manager. As much as I can't stand the Phiilies I hope they sweep the Braves by like a cumulative score of 30-0

Last edited:
I was going to wait a day on this, but since we are starting to get into it, here's my annual postseason roster analysis. It includes 44 players: the 40-man roster, plus 3 on the 60-day IL, plus 1 Robinson Cano, the gift that keeps on giving.

(TL/DR: If Cohen wants to keep this team together, he will have to open the checkbook. Cohen can’t pay EVERYBODY, can he? Silly me, of course he can. But will he?)

Here goes:

GUARANTEED 2023 CONTRACTS - 8

Max Scherzer - $43.3M
Francisco Lindor - $32.5M
Starling Marte - $20.8M
Robinson Cano - $20.2M
James McCann - $12.2M
Mark Canha - $11.5M
Eduardo Escobar - $9.5M
Darin Ruf - $3M

PLUS Buyouts (Bassitt, Carrasco, Walker, Givens, Vogelbach, Curtiss) – approx. $8M

Yep, that’s a cool $161 mill committed to just eight players, one of whom is long gone. McCann and Ruf will likely be gone soon. To put it into perspective, that $161M would rank 12h in MLB 2022 payroll.

The buyouts come into play if options are declined. On that topic…

CONTRACTS WITH 2023 OPTIONS - 7

Jacob deGrom - $30.5M, player opt-out
Chris Bassitt - $19.0M, mutual option with minimal buyout
Carlos Carrasco - $14.0M, club option with $3.0M buyout
Taijuan Walker - $6.0M, player option with $3.0M buyout
Mychal Givens - $3.5M, mutual option with $1.5M buyout
Daniel Vogelbach - $1.5M, club option with minimal buyout
John Curtiss - $0.8M, club option with minimal buyout

Obviously deGrom is Issue 1. He has said all along that he will opt out and we have no reason to doubt him. He will no doubt view Scherzer’s contract as a floor. Will Cohen pay? And even if he will, does deGrom want out. We keep hearing Atlanta, which would truly suck.

Bassitt and Givens have contract with mutual options. This means that both parties must agree to exercise, which very rarely happens. Figure both will become free agents. Bassitt IMO is gone, never wanted to be here, will take less money elsewhere. Walker will certainly exercise his option, as it is way below market value. 'I have a feeling, based on nothing, that he wants to stay and Cohen will make it happen.

Mets will need to make a decision on Carrasco shortly after the close of the World Series. Given the uncertainty of the rest of the rotation, I think they’ll bring him back. They will certainly exercise their bargain basement option on Vogelbach, who will be Vogel-back.

John Curtiss is an injured reliever whom the Mets signed this year to have him next year. Maybe we will hear from him again, maybe not.

FREE AGENTS - 8

Edwin Diaz
Tommy Hunter
Seth Lugo
Trevor May
Brandon Nimmo
Tyler Naquin
Adam Ottavino
Trevor Williams

The key names here of course are Diaz and Nimmo. Both tough calls. Diaz is having career year #2, but relief pitchers are SO volatile. Dare the Mets go long on Diaz? Nimmo has been good, but is he the CF you want to lock up long term? Remember he is represented by Boras. Which means - show me the money. My guess is that Cohen will do so.

Ottavino is another interesting case. He’s been invaluable, but historically he’s been up and down. At age 37, can he put two up seasons back to back?

The others are expendable.

ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE - 11

Pete Alonso
Terrance Gore
Luis Guillorme
Yoan Lopez
Joey Lucchesi
Jeff McNeil
Tomas Nido
David Peterson
Joely Rodriguez
Dom Smith
Drew Smith

This list must be looked at from two perspectives. First, is there anyone who you might want to lock up now, before they get to free agency? Obviously Alonso comes to mind, and possibly McNeil. I would be shocked if Alonso seriously entertains any such discussions though. His pot of gold is only 2 years away. McNeil might be willing, but it takes two to tango.

At the other end of the spectrum, who gets non-tendered? IMO you must tender Guillorme, Nido, Peterson, Rodriguez and Drew Smith. What about forgotten man Dom Smith? Could be interesting.

PRE-ARB TEAM CONTROL - 10

Francisco Alvarez
Brett Baty
Jose Butto
Khalil Lee
Ronny Mauricio
Tylor Megill
Bryce Montes de Oca
Stephen Nogosek
Sean Reid-Foley
Mark Vientos

The two names that matter here are at the top of the list. I suspect Mauricio and Vientos are trade bait. Butto and Montes de Oca are worth watching. The list will be replenished by players who must be protected starting next year, such as Matthew Allan.

SO… that’s the roster as of now. We’ll see what it looks like in March!

Reactions: gmay8 and Leonard23
The amount of people that are losers coming in now always surprises me. Imagine being 40+ and trolling. Pathetic and sad.
They'll have their day very shortly which happens every year as well !

Only time I go on to their pathetic thread to congratulate them again for another lost year !

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
I was going to wait a day on this, but since we are starting to get into it, here's my annual postseason roster analysis. It includes 44 players: the 40-man roster, plus 3 on the 60-day IL, plus 1 Robinson Cano, the gift that keeps on giving.

(TL/DR: If Cohen wants to keep this team together, he will have to open the checkbook. Cohen can’t pay EVERYBODY, can he? Silly me, of course he can. But will he?)

Here goes:

GUARANTEED 2023 CONTRACTS - 8

Max Scherzer - $43.3M
Francisco Lindor - $32.5M
Starling Marte - $20.8M
Robinson Cano - $20.2M
James McCann - $12.2M
Mark Canha - $11.5M
Eduardo Escobar - $9.5M
Darin Ruf - $3M

PLUS Buyouts (Bassitt, Carrasco, Walker, Givens, Vogelbach, Curtiss) – approx. $8M

Yep, that’s a cool $161 mill committed to just eight players, one of whom is long gone. McCann and Ruf will likely be gone soon. To put it into perspective, that $161M would rank 12h in MLB 2022 payroll.

The buyouts come into play if options are declined. On that topic…

CONTRACTS WITH 2023 OPTIONS - 7

Jacob deGrom - $30.5M, player opt-out
Chris Bassitt - $19.0M, mutual option with minimal buyout
Carlos Carrasco - $14.0M, club option with $3.0M buyout
Taijuan Walker - $6.0M, player option with $3.0M buyout
Mychal Givens - $3.5M, mutual option with $1.5M buyout
Daniel Vogelbach - $1.5M, club option with minimal buyout
John Curtiss - $0.8M, club option with minimal buyout

Obviously deGrom is Issue 1. He has said all along that he will opt out and we have no reason to doubt him. He will no doubt view Scherzer’s contract as a floor. Will Cohen pay? And even if he will, does deGrom want out. We keep hearing Atlanta, which would truly suck.

Bassitt and Givens have contract with mutual options. This means that both parties must agree to exercise, which very rarely happens. Figure both will become free agents. Bassitt IMO is gone, never wanted to be here, will take less money elsewhere. Walker will certainly exercise his option, as it is way below market value. 'I have a feeling, based on nothing, that he wants to stay and Cohen will make it happen.

Mets will need to make a decision on Carrasco shortly after the close of the World Series. Given the uncertainty of the rest of the rotation, I think they’ll bring him back. They will certainly exercise their bargain basement option on Vogelbach, who will be Vogel-back.

John Curtiss is an injured reliever whom the Mets signed this year to have him next year. Maybe we will hear from him again, maybe not.

FREE AGENTS - 8

Edwin Diaz
Tommy Hunter
Seth Lugo
Trevor May
Brandon Nimmo
Tyler Naquin
Adam Ottavino
Trevor Williams

The key names here of course are Diaz and Nimmo. Both tough calls. Diaz is having career year #2, but relief pitchers are SO volatile. Dare the Mets go long on Diaz? Nimmo has been good, but is he the CF you want to lock up long term? Remember he is represented by Boras. Which means - show me the money. My guess is that Cohen will do so.

Ottavino is another interesting case. He’s been invaluable, but historically he’s been up and down. At age 37, can he put two up seasons back to back?

The others are expendable.

ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE - 11

Pete Alonso
Terrance Gore
Luis Guillorme
Yoan Lopez
Joey Lucchesi
Jeff McNeil
Tomas Nido
David Peterson
Joely Rodriguez
Dom Smith
Drew Smith

This list must be looked at from two perspectives. First, is there anyone who you might want to lock up now, before they get to free agency? Obviously Alonso comes to mind, and possibly McNeil. I would be shocked if Alonso seriously entertains any such discussions though. His pot of gold is only 2 years away. McNeil might be willing, but it takes two to tango.

At the other end of the spectrum, who gets non-tendered? IMO you must tender Guillorme, Nido, Peterson, Rodriguez and Drew Smith. What about forgotten man Dom Smith? Could be interesting.

PRE-ARB TEAM CONTROL - 10

Francisco Alvarez
Brett Baty
Jose Butto
Khalil Lee
Ronny Mauricio
Tylor Megill
Bryce Montes de Oca
Stephen Nogosek
Sean Reid-Foley
Mark Vientos

The two names that matter here are at the top of the list. I suspect Mauricio and Vientos are trade bait. Butto and Montes de Oca are worth watching. The list will be replenished by players who must be protected starting next year, such as Matthew Allan.

SO… that’s the roster as of now. We’ll see what it looks like in March!
Thanks for the above.

Just curious why do you deem Mauricio and Vientos to be trade bait?

If at any time they should have been deemed trade bait, I would have thought it would have been at the deadline - which they weren't.

I don't think they're trade bait as I think Cohen is dead set on building from within and thus I think Mauricio is hopefully 2b of future and Vientos either DH or 3rd of 4th OF next year.

Interesting between Nimmo; Jake and Diaz as free agents:

- Both Gary Cohen and Todd Zeile think that Nimmo should be the priority.
- Blevins felt Jake should be the priority.
- Consensus is to re sign Tijuan and Carrasco
- Reading between the lines - Gary thinks Jake is gone

I also think Bassitt is gone - which if so, so be it !

Reactions: Leonard23
Thanks for the above.

Just curious why do you deem Mauricio and Vientos to be trade bait?
I don't think Vientos has a position. Maybe righty DH, but I expect that Alvarez will be in that role 40 games a year, assuming he catches 110.

My thinking on Mauricio is that if they viewed him as a Met long term, they would have already moved him off SS. That is of course the premium position where you would showcase someone you are looking to trade.

As to why they haven't been traded already, good question. I could be totally off base in my assumptions here.

Forget Soto. The Pods got Drury for not much. He was big in September for them. Better than anyone the Mets picked up

Reactions: The RUT
Could be 20 games up next year and it won’t matter. This really takes a huge bite out of any true excitement next season.

Mets are becoming the cubs but 29 other fan bases didn’t love to break cubs fans balls Every second
At least the Cubs won a WS with that recent core.

Mets totally owned the Phillies this season, and it is quite comical for your ass to be in this thread mocking the Mets. Phillies would have been crushed by Padres in 1 game. 😜

The Phils swept the Cards both games on the road in St L and they would surely have lost to the Padres? Spilled milk. Mets suck and they lost. **** them.

Reactions: Kbee3
Just went to Finger Lakes, have fun. Does Jake really think he is getting 45 million at 34 and having injuries?

Reactions: newell138
Forget Soto. The Pods got Drury for not much. He was big in September for them. Better than anyone the Mets picked up
People will come on and tell you “How dare you disrespect Vogelbach, Naquin, Givens, and especially Ruf in this thread.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT