ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official 2022 NY Yankees Season And Post Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all she wrote. Injuries suck but it's tough to watch a team play with no heart. Astros are 100 times better than the Yankees right now.
when you face pitching like this- it seems like no heart, but every player is trying their best.

There really is a question in me that does ask- how do the Astro's make every pitcher better?

when you face pitching like this- it seems like no heart, but every player is trying their best.

There really is a question in me that does ask- how do the Astro's make every pitcher better?
How does a 37 year old win a batting title? How does a 39 year old throw as hard as he did at 24? I think SMU and Texa$$ have shown us the lengths Texans will go to to win. Hell, so have the Astros.

Reactions: RUScrew85
How does a 37 year old win a batting title? How does a 39 year old throw as hard as he did at 24? I think SMU and Texa$$ have shown us the lengths Texans will go to to win. Hell, so have the Astros.
Let's even look at Cole- Very good at Pitt, HOF type at Houston and then while he is still very good at NY, he is not Hou good. Verlander- we have never seen anything like him. Moore- pretty good pre Hou- great at Houston and pretty good after and maybe better than he was pre Hou- what did he learn there.

There is something off about Houston

Reactions: fsg2 and czxqa

Down 2 games, going home with your big game pitcher shouldn't be a 5 run shutout for the visiting team no matter who they are.

I only watch baseball in October
Every Yankee playoff series with Astros is a dud
Its like a mismatch the way Schiano's aggressive defense was a liability vs spreads like WVs
The Yankees dont seem to play the way Torre's Yankees played
Torre's Yankees could play small ball - manufacture runs and such
Too often Yankees seem built for power, home runs etc
Slap hits, bunts, stolen bases - guerilla warfare is needed to exploit the smaller cracks

''A lot of times when you wait on home runs, you wait too much, and if they don't come, you're pretty much in trouble,'' Tim Raines said.

So while the Orioles rank first in the major leagues in home runs and the Yankees rank 12th with 145, the Yankees can brag about better batting averages, fewer strikeouts, more sacrifices, more stolen bases, more sacrifice flies, elements greatly in evidence in their last eight games, elements the Yankees reminded themselves to use on their winning road trip.

''We didn't sit back as much as we had been, waiting on a big shot,'' Raines said. ''It's important. A lot of times you put pressure on the defense by not trying to hit the ball out of the ball park.''

It is the kind of baseball that is so well embodied in the play of young Jeter, the heady Joe Girardi, the revived Williams -- ''This really helps our whole approach,'' Torre said. ''We left some people on. I know Cecil was pressing a little and left some people on, but that's what this game is all about if you have someone pitching out there like Erickson and Pettitte were. But we scrapped. And they scrapped. They did a lot of small-balling out there, too. I'm just glad we were able to score the last run.''

Yankees' Small Ball Wins in a Big Way​

Keep refreshing and page will stick^^^

Last edited:
Reactions: coldsprings
Its like a mismatch the way Schiano's aggressive defense was a liability vs spreads like WVs
Torres Yankees could play small ball - manufacture runs and such
Slap hits, bunts, stolen bases - guerilla warfare

''A lot of times when you wait on home runs, you wait too much, and if they don't come, you're pretty much in trouble,'' Tim Raines said.

So while the Orioles rank first in the major leagues in home runs and the Yankees rank 12th with 145, the Yankees can brag about better batting averages, fewer strikeouts, more sacrifices, more stolen bases, more sacrifice flies, elements greatly in evidence in their last eight games, elements the Yankees reminded themselves to use on their winning road trip.

''We didn't sit back as much as we had been, waiting on a big shot,'' Raines said. ''It's important. A lot of times you put pressure on the defense by not trying to hit the ball out of the ball park.''

It is the kind of baseball that is so well embodied in the play of young Jeter, the heady Joe Girardi, the revived Williams -- ''This really helps our whole approach,'' Torre said. ''We left some people on. I know Cecil was pressing a little and left some people on, but that's what this game is all about if you have someone pitching out there like Erickson and Pettitte were. But we scrapped. And they scrapped. They did a lot of small-balling out there, too. I'm just glad we were able to score the last run.''

Everybody (good anyway) hits homers nowadays though. Game has changed. Hitting a baseball is materially more difficult now than it has ever been. To piece together three or four hits in a row has never been tougher. Yes Yankees are beholden to the home run but who is sitting 2nd in the AL regular season for homers? The Astros. The problem the Yanks have is the Astros are just better than them nearly across the board, especially in pitching depth.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Torres Yankees could play small ball - manufacture runs and such
Slap hits, bunts, stolen bases - guerilla warfare is needed to exploit the smaller cracks

Only read the first paragraph but spot on.
Live by the home run and then face playoff pitching.. yuk. Lost interest in watching the struggles to hit and not strike out years ago.

Going back to your Rutgers comment. Teams completely lose sight of the entertainment value of watching a game.

This stuff is like being constipated.

Looked but couldn’t find. Anyone know what the record is for most strikeouts by a team in the playoffs? I can’t imagine it’s much higher than the Yankees are averaging 13+ per game
Yankees playoffs 2022 Team totals.
.169 batting average
37 hits
83 strikeouts

Yankees playoffs 2022 Team totals.
.169 batting average
37 hits
83 strikeouts
What’s so troubling with Judge is that Yanks can’t let him walk but at the same time these playoffs make it clear that he will eat mediocre pitching alive but put his bat against the best pitchers and it’s not even close.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
What’s so troubling with Judge is that Yanks can’t let him walk but at the same time these playoffs make it clear that he will eat mediocre pitching alive but put his bat against the best pitchers and it’s not even close.
It's not just the best pitchers. He went backwards in his selection of pitches to swing at in search of the 62nd home run. For the most he was great up to 61. Has (shared) the record for the AL which is kind of meaningless. He had the lead in all three categories but blow apart his average and his swing for that extra.
I also think the Yankees know he isn't coming back. It's not just about the money.

Edit: just saw this. Seems Aaron Boone is trying to save his job by blaming the players.

Last edited:

The TBS announcing crew, especially Ron Darling, have been fantastic. Ron has repeatedly called out the Yankees for their unprofessional at bats, swinging out of their shoes when contact is called for.

Of course, the problem isn't new, Cashman/Boone have enabled it all year. Mind-blowing is that IKF, one of their better contact and clutch hitters rides the bench in the doghouse while Boone defends Donaldson.

Boone is no managerial genius but this is Cashman's constructed, almost impossible to watch, rotten team.

Last edited:
It should be said that the Yankees would have more contact hitters right now if they all weren't hurt. Not having DJ and Benitendi hurts pretty bad. However, the organizational philosophy still needs to change and they should wipe it all out and just start over. Maybe draft some good younger hitters instead of every 6' 4'' pitcher who throws in the high 90s with every top draft pick.

I had only two hitting coaches in my career, Bob Skinner and Lou Piniella .
Neither of them would have allowed you step foot on the field or in the batters box during a game using the approach most of BASEBALL IS now using
FIFY

George Steinbrenner would never accept the results that we're getting from Cashman and Boone.

You can be a HR hitting team without half the outs being KOs.

And Boone constantly looking for excuses is old shit.

Reactions: Rhuarc
Probably too little too late, but Anthony Rizzo is a pro. I LOVE that he’s looking to direct the ball and beat the shift in key situations. Today’s game needs more of that.

Reactions: Section124 and RW90
The TBS announcing crew, especially Ron Darling, have been fantastic. Ron has repeatedly called out the Yankees for their unprofessional at bats, swinging out of their shoes when contact is called for.

Of course, the problem isn't new, Cashman/Boone have enabled it all year. Mind-blowing is that IKF, one of their better contact and clutch hitters rides the bench in the doghouse while Boone defends Donaldson.

Boone is no managerial genius but this is Cashman's constructed, almost impossible to watch, rotten team.

As I recall, Steinbrenner was a hound for power hitters the way Al Davis always wanted the Draft's fastest guy for the Raiders. When Steinbrenner was sidelined with legal issues, Stick Michael built a team that could play the complete game and not just swing for the highlight reels.

Now it seems like Yankees have been back to "Steinball." I understand power hitters are better for fans and tickets sold but they can look so anemic in playoffs against teams like the Rangers. I'm not a full time fan but I could appreciate a Knoblauch as a lead-off hitter vs (say) Judge. I can get why ARod criticized that as "gimmicky baseball!"

"

Last edited:
As I recall, Steinbrenner was a hound for power hitters the way Al Davis always wanted the Draft's fastest guy for the Raiders. When Steinbrenner was sidelined with legal issues, Stick Michael built a team that could play the complete game and not just swing for the highlight reels.

Now it seems like Yankees have been back to "Steinball." I understand power hitters are better for fans and tickets sold but they can look so anemic in playoffs against teams like the Rangers. I'm not a full time fan but I could appreciate a Knoblauch as a lead-off hitter vs (say) Judge. I can get why ARod criticized that as "gimmicky baseball!"

"
There’s a point in here somewhere, but you prefer Knoblauch to Judge? Ok.

Plenty wrong with this team, but that analogy is just whacko.

There’s a point in here somewhere, but you prefer Knoblauch to Judge? Ok.

Plenty wrong with this team, but that analogy is just whacko.
No, he prefers his leadoff man to have a high on-base percentage (and base running speed) and his #3 and #4 hitters to have power to drive him in. Historically speaking, Judge is completely out of place as a leadoff hitter.

No, he prefers his leadoff man to have a high on-base percentage (and base running speed) and his #3 and #4 hitters to have power to drive him in. Historically speaking, Judge is completely out of place as a leadoff hitter.
That’s cool, but how many times has Judge been hitting lead off? Since maybe game 1 or 2 of the ALDS?

Yanks have been flawed for awhile now…no Lamehieu, no Benintendi…it’s thrown the lineup out of whack.

Regardless, this was an embarrassing performance. Tear it down and bring in a GM who knows how to win in modern day baseball.

Last edited:
That’s cool, but how many times has Judge been hitting lead off? Since maybe game 1 or 2 of the ALDS?

Yanks have been flawed for awhile now…no Lamehieu, no Benintendi…it’s thrown the lineup out of whack.

Regardless, this was an embarrassing performance. Tear it down and bring in a GM who knows how to win in modern day baseball.
Game 2 against Cleveland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT