ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Official NBA draft thread

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
probably the most underwhelming draft in years as we haven’t seen these kids in 8 months and the likely top pick (Ball) didn’t play in college

Who is your team and what are you hoping for?

what else are you looking for?

I don’t know Much on LaMelo but what I do know makes me question if I would want to pay him to be the face of my franchise.

I'm looking forward to see if FSU has two kids selected in the first 10 picks, if Anthony Edwards falls in the Draft after the dumb sh!t he said about preferring football, not liking to watch basketball (guess he won't be watching scout videos of opponents) and is basically playing ball to set himself up for a career as a rapper, who takes Obi Toppin and who does Boston get.

Nothing screams bust more than when player you want is already looking for next opportunity before getting in the door.

Maybe not bust, but won't live up to potential

Just saw Obi Toppin interviewed on ESPNU. Loved seeing his emotion about being taken by the Knicks. I wish the young man well.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
Yikes! 1st round over and Oturu still on the board.
He was always a borderline 1st rounder (depsite what many of the "experts" around here said) but still interesting to see it happen.

BIG 10 with only one 1st rounder.

Carey from Duke 32
Someone around here kept saying he was going to be like a Top 5 pick. Can't remember who.

Oturu finally off at 33.

- Very boring draft
- Lack of Star Power in this draft. I thought this was a weak draft.
- ESPN Crew was boring as hell. They should have had Mel Kiper on the crew talking football...:)
- Surprised how few Euros were drafted. Usually entire 2nd round is full of Euros.
- A BIG 10 name not drafted who I believe declared early: Kaleb Wesson.
- Happy to see Xavier Tillman and Cassius Winston get drafted
- Jalen Smith shot up....I thought he was slotted in the 20's
- Myles Powell not drafted

The best is people surprised myles powell didnt get drafted LOL. People thought he had a chance haha

An Eddie Jordan recruit of 2016, Jahlil Tripp played 3 years at Pacific and signed a Exhibit 10 contract with Memphis Grizzlies.

Jan 9, 2016: Commit
Jahlil Tripp commits to Rutgers Scarlet Knights

I had to google the name because I had forgotten the story. He was shot during HS and high major interest dried up. He committed here under EJ and decommitted when Pike took over. He then went JUCO and on to Pacific. Incidentally, we took Bullock just after he decommitted.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
The best is people surprised myles powell didnt get drafted LOL. People thought he had a chance haha

In general, college basketball fans seem to be the worst predictors of NBA Draft results.

I won't pull up the specific threads but this is the general trend of the "expert analysis" over the last couple of months about the draft prospects of BIG 10 players. Quite unreliable:

Oturu is a lottery pick (Picked #33 in 2nd round)
Daniel Oturu will be drafted much higher than predicted per this mock draft. (Oturu was listed #45)
He’s (Oturu) without a doubt a first round pick, almost definitely a lottery pick. (This was from a staff writer)
I will be surprised if either Ayo or Kofi returns to Illinois. (Both returned because they were projected as 2nd round picks at best)
I would stunned if The Cock was not drafted. (Again, he returned because he was projected as a 2nd round pick at best).
Vernon Carey of Duke is a Man-Animal. I ll be shocked if he isn’t a top 3 pick in NBA draft let alone the top pick. (Drafted #32 - note this was in response to the 1st game of the year almost over a year ago)

He'll get a shot as a FA somewhere though. You have an unhealthy obsession with wanting to see him fail for some reason. Weird.

Reactions: dmitch023
He'll get a shot as a FA somewhere though. You have an unhealthy obsession with wanting to see him fail for some reason. Weird.
Nah, moreso just laugh at the fact of how people overrate the kid so much. He never had a chance at getting drafted yet people were positive hed not only be drafted but some said borderline first round lol.
The only player on SHU or RU last year with a remote chance of being drafted is Ron. People already acting like Geo has a chance and thats a wildddddd take

I'm looking forward to see if FSU has two kids selected in the first 10 picks, if Anthony Edwards falls in the Draft after the dumb sh!t he said about preferring football, not liking to watch basketball (guess he won't be watching scout videos of opponents) and is basically playing ball to set himself up for a career as a rapper, who takes Obi Toppin and who does Boston get.
The kid from FSU who went 4th never started a game in college. How is that possible? How did he come off the bench at FSU but was the 4th overall pick. What am I missing?

The kid from FSU who went 4th never started a game in college. How is that possible? How did he come off the bench at FSU but was the 4th overall pick. What am I missing?

Dion Waiters from Syracuse never started a game in two seasons, but also was a top 4 pick.

Dion Waiters from Syracuse never started a game in two seasons, but also was a top 4 pick.
How though? I don’t understand that dynamic. 5 guys start ahead of him. A top 4 pick is suppose to have huge talent. It’s not like a second rounder. Top 4 in draft and isn’t starting on college team.

In general terms about 1/3 of 2nd rounders NEVER play an NBA game. Of the remaing 2/3rds, about half have a cup of coffee, play a minor roll, bounce around a couple of times and are out of the league by year 3, leaving only about 1/3rd if 2nd rounders who can say they made their fortune in the NBA.

Best comparison I see for Myles Powell in the league is John Starks, undrafted 6'2-6'3" old school "2G" that can get crazy hot or cold and learns to play solid defense.

It's actually very simple.
Patrick Williams is 19 years old

FSU is starting their best 5 to win today.
Chicago is drafting Patrick Williams to start him over the next 5 years.

Compare him just to Powell who is 23 years old already.

Chicago is looking at how good Patrick Williams is now and projecting how good he could be in 4 years (at which point he will still be younger than Powell is today).

His upside is really high and NBA teams draft largely on potential. Which is why a college senior is rarely a top pick anymore.

The NPOY wasn't the first pick. A kid who played one season at Georgia was.

I expected him to go in the top ten, Devin Vassell was the FSU player that I thought was on the top ten bubble.

Imagine being able to tell a recruit & his parents "Our sixth man was a lottery pick," when you are on a Zoom with them.

How though? I don’t understand that dynamic. 5 guys start ahead of him. A top 4 pick is suppose to have huge talent. It’s not like a second rounder. Top 4 in draft and isn’t starting on college team.

Think of how much we project Rutgers players to get better each year over their 3-4 years in the program.
Now think of how much better those players would get over 4 years with elite coaching, elite facilities and being a basketball player as their sole focus (no classes).

You are thinking of a player's talent "today" as if they will never get better.

Myles Johnson is going to start over Clif.
If you had to pick one player for the next 5 years - who would you pick?

His upside is really high and NBA teams draft largely on potential. Which is why a college senior is rarely a top pick anymore.

The NPOY wasn't the first pick. A kid who played one season at Georgia was.

I expected him to go in the top ten, Devin Vassell was the FSU player that I thought was on the top ten bubble.

Imagine being able to tell a recruit & his parents "Our sixth man was a lottery pick," when you are on a Zoom with them.
I understand this. But still a top 4 pick not starting. That’s elite of the elite talent. Not like he is a second rounder.
But ingest your point

In general terms about 1/3 of 2nd rounders NEVER play an NBA game. Of the remaing 2/3rds, about half have a cup of coffee, play a minor roll, bounce around a couple of times and are out of the league by year 3, leaving only about 1/3rd if 2nd rounders who can say they made their fortune in the NBA.

At one point last season 2/3 of the # 1 picks were in the G league .

18-19 year olds who need to learn how to play the pro game.

The NBA is a grown man's game. College basketball is not.

Reactions: Russ Wood
I understand this. But still a top 4 pick not starting. That’s elite of the elite talent. Not like he is a second rounder.
But ingest your point

You're not understanding.
It's very, very simple.

You are thinking about "talent" wrong.
It's not about how talented a player was last year in college basketball.
"Elite Talent in 2020" isn't the same as ""Elite Talent in 2025".

College basketball is about elite talent in 2019-2020.
NBA is drafting for who will have the higher level of elite talent in 2021 through 2026.

Again - look at Myles Johnson and Clif.
Johnson is more talented today and will start this year.
But over the next 4 years - Clif will pass Johnson and be more talented.

If you were picking a player for the next 10 years - would you pick Myles or Clif?

Best comparison I see for Myles Powell in the league is John Starks, undrafted 6'2-6'3" old school "2G" that can get crazy hot or cold and learns to play solid defense.

Starks was a pure effort player. Was bagging groceries at the time he got his chance and then always had that chip on his shoulder. Fairly athletic, played in your face D and worked on his shot to elevate himself into a streak type scorer. Powell has a much better stroke but is less athletic than Starks. We'll see if he can ever be as good a defender. You never know, he may have a shot with the league now so focused on the 3 and the Knicks needing shooters.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Isn’t Carson Edwards the best comp for Powell?

6’0” scoring guard
Edwards got national attention in the Elite 8 game.
Went in 2nd round and now in G-League

Note - Powell is 23 which is older than Edwards.

Hope that Patrick Williams works out better for the Bulls than Marvin Williams did for the Hawks. M. Williams was the 2nd pick overall for the Hawks, despite not starting as a freshman for UNC. Yes, he's had a long NBA career, but the Hawks have forever regretted drafting him over Chris Paul.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT