ADVERTISEMENT

OT: oh oh oh Ozempic !

correct me if Im wrong but Lustig isnt a fan of oatmeal
Not sure. Lustig is OK, but he does have some extreme positions. For example, he said some sweeteners such as Stevia are still not good because they trigger hunger signals like sugar. Not sure about that. Casey Means MD and her new book are very good. Her podcast on Huberman is 🔥. One thing the dumb ass in this that thread that keeps fat shaming fails to understand is that for some people, food addiction is real. Food companies knowingly and purposefully spike their chips, cookies, foods to trigger people to eat more. Some people are not susceptible to this. But there are plenty of people who get hooked on crap food.

Reactions: bac2therac
Lots of bad advice on YouTube. Hate those that tell people YOU must do THIS!!!! Not everyone is the same, as you said.

Never been an oatmeal fan. Not as far as healthy aspect, just the taste/texture. The Mrs likes porridge, and same reaction from me, blech. Not much a of a breakfast person. The only thing I really like are breakfast meats like pork roll and bacon. Easier to just start with lunch.

If my post came off as "you should do this," that's not what I meant. Have said many times n=1, where n=me and not anybody else. Each person is unique, has their own go to strategies and weaknesses for food. I was trending towards diabetes for a variety of reasons, but I have reversed course, and I am in better shape now (older than you) than 20 years ago. I take the stairs to the 8th floor at work each morning, barely getting winded. 10 or 20 years ago, I could have been gassed at the 4th floor.

I'm not that big on red meat any more, but I am not against it. Lean beef is an excellent source of protein and iron. I favor salmon and lean poultry, but I'm up for some lean ground beef or a nice steak once in a while.

Breads, pasta and rice are real problems for me. Family history of diabetes. I compensated carb cutting by going to cheese, but cheese is calorie dense, and many cheeses have high saturated fat. I have to watch my cholesterol.

We are mostly water and lightly flavored seltzers and home-brewed iced teas. The packaged teas are expensive and have lots a questionable preservatives and sweeteners. We found a blend of brewed teas we like.

IMO, Quest bars are garbage. Read the ingredients. Lots of questionable ingredients, but you do you.

Great replies by you!
Whats great is we all can learn from others on how they do

Congrats to you because you did make a real lifestyle change with your diet and have seen the results and most importantly how you feel. People can make changes but still have no energy or feel miserable mentally. Its hard for anyone to be perfect but attempting to make that change and see what helps and doesnt is an important part of evolving as we age

As for Quest bars..maybe once a week or if im on the go or at the beach and need something. I have in the past baked my own protein type snacks with banannas oats protein and greek yogurt

i forgot to mention eggs..i eat alot of them whether hard boiled as snacks but usually Friday nights with bacon....10 eggs but only 2-3 yolks

Not sure. Lustig is OK, but he does have some extreme positions. For example, he said some sweeteners such as Stevia are still not good because they trigger hunger signals like sugar. Not sure about that. Casey Means MD and her new book are very good. Her podcast on Huberman is 🔥. One thing the dumb ass in this that thread that keeps fat shaming fails to understand is that for some people, food addiction is real. Food companies knowingly and purposefully spike their chips, cookies, foods to trigger people to eat more. Some people are not susceptible to this. But there are plenty of people who get hooked on crap food.

There is definitely something in the seasoning of snacks...i mean a regular pretzel bag you have a few an stop because the taste isnt there and you go ok thats enough...with these pretzels pieces particularly this new Mikes Hot Honey Sauce stuff Im addicted to..its like crack...i crave more and more the more I taste it

The thing is snacks existed in the 50s 70s 70s and 80s. People ate sugary stuff but the variety was less. You only had 3 kinds of potato chips plain bbq and sour cream and now there are literally a 100

Congrats to you because you did make a real lifestyle change with your diet and have seen the results and most importantly how you feel. People can make changes but still have no energy or feel miserable mentally. Its hard for anyone to be perfect but attempting to make that change and see what helps and doesnt is an important part of evolving as we age

As for Quest bars..maybe once a week or if im on the go or at the beach and need something. I have in the past baked my own protein type snacks with banannas oats protein and greek yogurt

i forgot to mention eggs..i eat alot of them whether hard boiled as snacks but usually Friday nights with bacon....10 eggs but only 2-3 yolks
Eat organic/free range eggs.

I'm genetically cursed, LOL. Alcoholism and diabetes run in different sides of the family tree. I quit drinking on my 18th birthday and never had a full drink until 2018, where I had 2 drinks in Europe, and hated the taste and will not drink again.
Quest bars- those things were more addictive to me than Doritos or Oreos. Don't know what was in them, but because they were high protein, I could down 3 or 4 of those in a day. Quit those cold turkey. Glad you like them.
Eggs- can't eat them. The texture, appearance has been a problem for me since I was a kid. Would love to get to like them because they are a great source of protein. LOL- I'm a real party when it comes to food an drink!
There is definitely something in the seasoning of snacks...i mean a regular pretzel bag you have a few an stop because the taste isnt there and you go ok thats enough...with these pretzels pieces particularly this new Mikes Hot Honey Sauce stuff Im addicted to..its like crack...i crave more and more the more I taste it

The thing is snacks existed in the 50s 70s 70s and 80s. People ate sugary stuff but the variety was less. You only had 3 kinds of potato chips plain bbq and sour cream and now there are literally a 100
Doritos are like crack to some, including me. Some of the flavored pretzels too. Agree that there is nothing wrong with binging once in a while. Every now and then (6-10 weeks), we will order a pizza and enjoy. I have a fantastic ally in the Mrs. We do a lot of research on foods and ingredients together. I'm cooking more too and hope to do more once I start working less.

You hit upon something else- you work outside all day and are moving. Desk jockeys need to figure out how to move more. There are formulas for numbers of steps, etc. I like these from Rhonda Patrick, who is a great source of info--hate the phrase "exercise snacks" but the advice is sound:

And this on eggs-- She is 🔥 🔥 🔥 (not hot, but fire):

I'm genetically cursed, LOL. Alcoholism and diabetes run in different sides of the family tree. I quit drinking on my 18th birthday and never had a full drink until 2018, where I had 2 drinks in Europe, and hated the taste and will not drink again.
Quest bars- those things were more addictive to me than Doritos or Oreos. Don't know what was in them, but because they were high protein, I could down 3 or 4 of those in a day. Quit those cold turkey. Glad you like them.
Eggs- can't eat them. The texture, appearance has been a problem for me since I was a kid. Would love to get to like them because they are a great source of protein. LOL- I'm a real party when it comes to food an drink!

Doritos are like crack to some, including me. Some of the flavored pretzels too. Agree that there is nothing wrong with binging once in a while. Every now and then (6-10 weeks), we will order a pizza and enjoy. I have a fantastic ally in the Mrs. We do a lot of research on foods and ingredients together. I'm cooking more too and hope to do more once I start working less.

You hit upon something else- you work outside all day and are moving. Desk jockeys need to figure out how to move more. There are formulas for numbers of steps, etc. I like these from Rhonda Patrick, who is a great source of info--hate the phrase "exercise snacks" but the advice is sound:

And this on eggs-- She is 🔥 🔥 🔥 (not hot, but fire):

yes Ive seen her and liked her stuff on youtube.

yeah I never relied too much on protein bars to get by...I definitely ate more maybe 10 years ago but quickly found shelling out $25 for a box every 2 weeks could be spent on something better.

Pizza is my favorite food but like you space it out...usually go about 12 weeks but sometimes as many as 16-18 weeks, when I do its sausage and its as many as I can eat so usually 6 in one siting and then one the next 2 days and then I dont need Pizza for a while.

what is the deal with you and eggs they are delicious....i have usually done scrambled but now just cracking them in the hot pan and sort of doing an easy over with a little bit of runny yolk...omg its really good that way. Come on you have to toughen up, those eggs are too good to pass up even hardboiled.

and while my morning staple is oatmeal/protein concoction, I have been trying out just the greek yogurt with blueberries and a scoop of protein..gives me about 40-45 grams of protein for about 300-330 calories and surprisingly its getting me almost to lunch without feeling hungry....that combo is definitely a very low calorie very high protein satiating snack to have

i dont have kids, but i mean if you do then its a lot tougher to eat healthy considering the responsibilites and then all the kid related activities like sports, b day parties, school functions that require a parent to basically eat what is in front of them are on the go. Im sure now that your kids are out of the nest? its easier with just you and your wife to plan for

Reactions: Knight Shift
That traffic mess will not go well
Based on our traffic engineering study, the 4 new loops roads will modestly improve the 206/518 intersection. Right now, the NJDOT rates it an F (not surprising). It should improve to a C. What this means?

F = wait time at peak of 4 or more minutes
C = wait time at peak of 1-2 minutes

We shall see! We need the Village Walk to get the Village Drive loop road open soon.

• Wow
Reactions: bac2therac

yeah I never relied too much on protein bars to get by...I definitely ate more maybe 10 years ago but quickly found shelling out $25 for a box every 2 weeks could be spent on something better.

Pizza is my favorite food but like you space it out...usually go about 12 weeks but sometimes as many as 16-18 weeks, when I do its sausage and its as many as I can eat so usually 6 in one siting and then one the next 2 days and then I dont need Pizza for a while.

what is the deal with you and eggs they are delicious....i have usually done scrambled but now just cracking them in the hot pan and sort of doing an easy over with a little bit of runny yolk...omg its really good that way. Come on you have to toughen up, those eggs are too good to pass up even hardboiled.

and while my morning staple is oatmeal/protein concoction, I have been trying out just the greek yogurt with blueberries and a scoop of protein..gives me about 40-45 grams of protein for about 300-330 calories and surprisingly its getting me almost to lunch without feeling hungry....that combo is definitely a very low calorie very high protein satiating snack to have

i dont have kids, but i mean if you do then its a lot tougher to eat healthy considering the responsibilites and then all the kid related activities like sports, b day parties, school functions that require a parent to basically eat what is in front of them are on the go. Im sure now that your kids are out of the nest? its easier with just you and your wife to plan for
Yup. Kids are out of the house.
Eggs- don't have an explanation, other than the texture makes me want to gag. Tried an egg white egg not long ago, and that was easier to eat.

1780, the way to avoid diabetes was known. Thanks to Ancel Keys, the FDA and govermental authorities, this changed. The organizations that push the crap diet recommendations like Harvard and Brown are funded by big food companies. Brown is touting Lucky Charms cereal as healthier than ground beef. Bill Gates and his funded organizations are working to demonize beef. We have politicians doing the same because cow farting is an issue.

Someone sum it up for me. What to eat to stay healthy and thin ??
IMO, it’s the usual things you’d expect. Fruits, veggies, fermented foods, fibers from grains, nuts etc.and get enough of them regularly, preferably daily. Also daily hydrate well with water.

I think most people don’t get enough of these things in their bodies on a daily or regular basis. For increasing fiber intake do it gradually to avoid GI issues and make sure to have enough fluids.

Then move and be active. It doesn’t have to be the gym either if it’s not your thing. Daily brisk walks and body weight stuff are my things because they’re easy and accessible to do. Chores around the house, yard work, etc are good too. Whatever floats your boat, just be moving regularly.

I eat junk at times and don’t limit anything I want to eat but I always want any positives I do to far outweigh any negatives. So I never feel restricted but on balance I want to be way on the plus side.

Like I mentioned in a way above post, find out what suits your psychology and lifestyle to make things habitual. Good habits are hard to break not just bad ones. Start slow and work up and when it becomes habit then it’s on autopilot pretty much. No thinking or feelings of restriction or what not, it just is. Everyone is different so you have to figure what suits you to make things habitual.

IMO, it’s the usual things you’d expect. Fruits, veggies, fermented foods, fibers from grains, nuts etc.and get enough of them regularly, preferably daily. Also daily hydrate well with water.

I think most people don’t get enough of these things in their bodies on a daily or regular basis. For increasing fiber intake do it gradually to avoid GI issues and make sure to have enough fluids.

Then move and be active. It doesn’t have to be the gym either if it’s not your thing. Daily brisk walks and body weight stuff are my things because they’re easy and accessible to do. Chores around the house, yard work, etc are good too. Whatever floats your boat, just be moving regularly.

I eat junk at times and don’t limit anything I want to eat but I always want any positives I do to far outweigh any negatives. So I never feel restricted but on balance I want to be way on the plus side.

Like I mentioned in a way above post, find out what suits your psychology and lifestyle to make things habitual. Good habits are hard to break not just bad ones. Start slow and work up and when it becomes habit then it’s on autopilot pretty much. No thinking or feelings of restriction or what not, it just is. Everyone is different so you have to figure what suits you to make things habitual.
Love walking/hiking in my area, so many amazing parks, preserves, and trails to explore. As for eating, everyone should have bran-based cereals in the morning. Get the body moving. LOL!

Reactions: rutgersguy1

Try cinnamon on plain Greek yogurt. Anti oxidant, anti inflammatory, and lowers blood sugar while at the same time tasting sweet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT