ADVERTISEMENT

OT: other cell phone carriers besides Verizon

Shell21

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2004
anyone have any other good cell phone carriers besides Verizon that has good service . My wife and I have a plan and I feel like Verizon is constantly Nicole and diming me . They also have a crappy data plan that I am constantly going over despite raising it recently . I am in Essex county and also work in Morris so I need to make sure that the carrier keeps bars around there

anyone have any other good cell phone carriers besides Verizon that has good service . My wife and I have a plan and I feel like Verizon is constantly Nicole and diming me . They also have a crappy data plan that I am constantly going over despite raising it recently . I am in Essex county and also work in Morris so I need to make sure that the carrier keeps bars around there

AT&T they never nicole me, but some times they try to di@k me with charges

AT&T for years and never an issue.

Reactions: hankee18 and Jm0513
I switched to sprint almost two years again because they had some huge savings. I have since switched back. It was a disaster

Vk , switched back to Verizon ? I heard sprint is awful too

Isn’t Sprint and T-mobile merging? Seems like they got the go-ahead from the FTC, unless something new I haven’t heard.

You can stay on Verizon network via other providers like Tracfone or Ting (moving to Verizon). I like Tracfone because any minutes or data you dont use rolls over. I have an iPhone that costs me $75 a year to keep active with Verizon and I've got 3200 minutes saved. I have another phone with AT&T network but I don't like their service in the burbs. Still, I pay around $250 a year for 2 phones. I have a few convos a week but I'm not talking all day (I also have a $30 VOIP box that give free internet calls with Google).

I'm always amazed at the money people waste on phones. I have a friend who was paying $500 a month for family plan (iPhones). I got him on Tracfone 4 years ago and he still thanks me 2 or 3 times a year lol

Ting shakes things up big time
https://www.phonearena.com/news/Ting-to-drop-T-Mobile-and-sign-an-MVNO-pact-with-Verizon_id117415

Virgin Mobile in Connecticut has good deals, good service and decent customer service. Eight years with no complaints.

I guess it’s all where you live and work. I live in Bergen County and work in Jersey City. I have Sprint for almost 20 years personally and never have issues. I am always surprised when people say otherwise. For example, in my building in Jersey City, Verizon and AT&T suck. My company uses AT&T on our work phones and had to install expanders for us. My BIL is a lawyer for Verizon. He has been saying for years that TMobile has been eating their lunch. That pretty much tells you your options are TMobile and AT&T.

I guess it’s all where you live and work. I live in Bergen County and work in Jersey City. I have Sprint for almost 20 years personally and never have issues. I am always surprised when people say otherwise. For example, in my building in Jersey City, Verizon and AT&T suck. My company uses AT&T on our work phones and had to install expanders for us. My BIL is a lawyer for Verizon. He has been saying for years that TMobile has been eating their lunch. That pretty much tells you your options are TMobile and AT&T.
I tried Sprint and only lasted a month. I had a friend who used it in my town for years. Until he switched to Verizon he didn’t realize how bad sprint really was because he was use to it.

T-mobile is definitely one to watch. They really stepped up their network and with the sprint agreement they now share a network which really helped coverage for both companies until the fully merge.

I tried Sprint and only lasted a month. I had a friend who used it in my town for years. Until he switched to Verizon he didn’t realize how bad sprint really was because he was use to it.

T-mobile is definitely one to watch. They really stepped up their network and with the sprint agreement they now share a network which really helped coverage for both companies until the fully merge.
Brother tried Sprint in Northern Ocean County and it was a disaster.

Had T-Mobile from 2001-2012 without a single issue. Coverage was great, and it worked seemlessly in Europe.

During Sandy, lost coverage for a week. We switched to Verizon and never looked back. Have had issues with Verizon on certain phones (voice quality, calls dropping), especially the LG phones they like to push in their stores. Not an Iphone person and don't want to switch. Found a Moto phone that has solved the problem.

Brother tried Sprint in Northern Ocean County and it was a disaster.

Had T-Mobile from 2001-2012 without a single issue. Coverage was great, and it worked seemlessly in Europe.

During Sandy, lost coverage for a week. We switched to Verizon and never looked back. Have had issues with Verizon on certain phones (voice quality, calls dropping), especially the LG phones they like to push in their stores. Not an Iphone person and don't want to switch. Found a Moto phone that has solved the problem.

LG phones are the problem Moto and Samsung don't have these issues. I have saved a ton of money.

Psu ,
I’ve been looking into Xfinity mobile . They use Verizon network ? Didn’t know that . I have Xfinity for tv so it might be an easy switch

Psu ,
I’ve been looking into Xfinity mobile . They use Verizon network ? Didn’t know that . I have Xfinity for tv so it might be an easy switch
I love my Xfinity mobile. They use the Verizon network and the only charge is for data. I have four phones and three of them share the same data plan. The three of us typically use less than 1 gig of data and only pay $12 per month. I have friends who switched to Xfinity mobile who use less than 100mb and don't pay anything as the first 100mb is free! They have Hotspots all over the place so even away from home i can connect to a Hotspot and avoid any data usage charges.

The 4th phone is my daughter who uses about 10 gig per month and it costs $45 for unlimited data.

There are a couple of requirements. You need to have Comcast internet service and they currently only support an Iphone or Galaxy brand phone.

All depends on where you live work and where you need it. Had AT&T and coverage was too spotty for me switched to Verizon and have been satisfied. Other people I know have T Mobile and like it especially for the deal. They bought more spectrum too IIRC and a merger with Sprint should help in the future. Ask your neighbors and co workers what they have and if they’re satisfied, it’s probably better tailored to your local needs.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I've had Sprint for close to 18 years now. Unlimited family plan, no text, min or data limits. 6 phones. No issues. Paying a lot less than verizon.

Reactions: Section124
Like the old "can you hear me now" commercials Verizon had the best coverage back sometime ago. Being on the road it was important to use them because of work. But from day 1 their customer service was the worst. Bill problems all the time and no way to get them fixed. They trained people to say "I'm sorry Mr/Mrs..." many times during the call but did nothing to fix the problem.
Switched to T-Mobile 6 years ago. Great coverage. Never a problem. A lot cheaper. Dropped my phone and broke it in NYC this spring. Lucked out that I was across the street from a T-Mobile store. Had insurance. Just $50 and less than 10 mins later I was out of there with a new phone with everything from my old phone transferred. Since I was away from home (PA) they allowed me to pick out a phone at the store instead of mailing one out and waiting. That would never happened at Verizon.

Reactions: Section124

If I was starting with a new provider, it wouldn’t be Sprint. That being said, I have used Verizon and AT&T on my work phone and I would rate the carriers as Verizon, Sprint and AT&T a distant 3rd. We did speed tests in the office where Sprint was almost equal to Verizon. I get a huge discount from my wife’s employer for Sprint and have only stayed due to the unlimited plans. Been waiting for the TMobile merger to make my ultimate switch to them inevitable.

That being said I need to consider moving to TMobile now to potentially take advantage of new subscriber pricing.

Switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. Was on month 4 of Verizon payment plan as I just bought 3 new phones.

T-Mobile has a deal to get you out of Verizon. They literally paid off all 3 phones for me. This was over $1,300. Not a typo. .No contact. Unlimited data for all lines and a lower rate ongoing than Verizon.

The cellular service on TMobile is not as good as Verizon but isn't bad. The data is great and unlimited for the whole family which crushes Verizon. I never have to worry about being on WiFi.

It takes a few weeks to go through the documentation to get the phone bought out. The give you a virtual credit card. Day I received it I called Verizon and used it to pay off my phones.

I will probably stick with T-Mobile but again no contact so I'm free to switch if rates go up. But the many positives of T-Mobile outweigh only one minor negative vs Verizon.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
i switched to tmobile from verizon after almost 15 years with them. my bill is so much lower. i am on their unlimited plan. no complaints. verizon does have better coverage but tmobile has gotten so much better.
one thing i really like about tmobile is when i travel to overseas. in most foreign countries, your wifi is free.
i live a few towns over from morristown and the coverage is fine.

I find that Viettel works best for me!

220px-Viettel_Logo.jpg

I saved about $150 a month by switching from Verizon to AT&T a few years ago. Verizon customer service was atrocious and I would never go back. No drop in service either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT