ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Outdoor dining

We dined at Blue Point Grill in Princeton on Wednesday. Felt very comfortable there as tables were > 6 feet apart. It was just good to get out of the house and experience some semblance of normalcy. Great food and great staff, highly recommended.
BPG is great. Also, hoping the Witherspoon Grill opens their outdoor dining soon (we an expanded area). That's our family place.

Reactions: rcrlaw and bossnj1
Did the Biergarten in Asbury Park last night. The upstairs patio sitting is normal there and was great. You share tables still but they try and keep parties 6 ft apart , and ask if you are ok when they sit that second set of guest. Staff was amazing and the food was great as usual. Need to wear a mask to enter, bathroom and leaving. They also had Cookman closed and tables from all restaurants set up. It felt like a festival walking thru. Felt great to get back to some sort of normalcy. Just remember this is new for most restaurants and staff, be patient and understanding. Try to at least leave a 25%+ tip as these servers have less tables then normal and live by our tips.

We will be in Stone Harbor for 2 weeks in Aug. Looking forward to it! What restaurant did you visit? How was it?

In Avalon we went to Diving Horse, which has a fantastic outdoor atmosphere and seafood including shrimp cocktail & tuna tartare.
Yesterday we grabbed crab cakes/old bay fries to go from Back Bay Seafood and walked around Stone Harbor's main street, which did not disappoint. We also had an evening dinner reservation at Blue Pig in Congress Hall, which was great since they moved all of their tables outside to the Veranda & Great Lawn where weddings are usually held. All this while staying at the Icona in Wildwood, which has its own section of private beach. Four Jersey shore towns in one long weekend :ThumbsUp

I'll pass on outdoor dining for now and just stick to going to work and heading to Shop Rite. Some days I am daring and head into the Belle Mead Co-Op for supplies. And Sunday....wait for it.... I was allowed to attend church.
Is this because you are concerned about catching the virus?

I went to a bar restaurant on Thursday, didn't sit down and eat, just had a few drinks, played some cornhole.

Big parking lot, plenty of room. I do wonder how crowded it got over the weekend.

In Avalon we went to Diving Horse, which has a fantastic outdoor atmosphere and seafood including shrimp cocktail & tuna tartare.
Yesterday we grabbed crab cakes/old bay fries to go from Back Bay Seafood and walked around Stone Harbor's main street, which did not disappoint. We also had an evening dinner reservation at Blue Pig in Congress Hall, which was great since they moved all of their tables outside to the Veranda & Great Lawn where weddings are usually held. All this while staying at the Icona in Wildwood, which has its own section of private beach. Four Jersey shore towns in one long weekend :ThumbsUp
Wow, awesome info about Blue Pig, thanks! That is one of our favorite places. As for Cape May, we go to BP, Lucky Bones, and Washington Inn every trip. BP has a wonderful patio area, but it's pretty tight. Hoping the Washington Inn figures something out. Our little one loves that place (her favorite "fancy" restaurant).

Reactions: patk89 and RUsSKii
We had Jersey Mike's tuna subs yesterday at a nice Hudson River park in Beacon. Does that count as outdoor dining ?

Went to the place down the street last night. @knightfan7 and @Knight Shift know where I mean.

Son used to work there for few years in HS and now college. Was able to get an internship this summer in his chosen field so he stopped working there. But they were all happy to see him when we showed up.

Rode past on my bike when I went to the beach earlier in the day and could see most of the staff outside. They looked so happy. It was nice to see.

Set up is in one of their parking lots. Spacing looked fine, tents for some areas, out in the sun for others. A few high top tables like they have inside at the bar area you can use to get a drink while waiting to be seated or to just drink. Town wouldn’t allow an outside “bar” nor any music...to be expected when a town council member lives a few doors away. Smaller paper menus that I think might go in the recycling pile after you handle them. All staff in masks and gloves. Through wipe down and cleaning after every patron leaves.

Reactions: knightfan7
Let me know when Squan Tavern opens up for indoor dining. I'm not driving a 100 + miles each way to sit in the parking lots or sun.

Have you tried Harvest in Farmingdale? You have a go to place out your way?
Harvest it's pretty good but tiny, might be tough to get in. They tend to be trying to hard to be trendy, wouldn't mind paying more to get more food on my plate though. I don't live in France, I don't need my entrée to be 4 bites. In Howell Mom and Pop operations are tough to find. It's either Pizza Joints, Chain Restaurants or sports bars. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough but they seem to be a needle in a haystack.

Asbury and Bradley(has a couple good places) the variety is great. Love the Biergarten, took German friends and they absolutely raved about the Wienersnittzel said it was thin, juicy and hot. Hell I thought it was some type of bratwurst when they ordered it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Rod's in Sea Girt for burgers or nice NY strip.
Squan Tavern for Italian or pizza.
Jimmy's in Neptune for crab meat stuffed lobster.
Kelly's in Neptune for cold beer and Ruben's.

Enough ? And I live 100 + miles each way now. Living in Howell ? Farmingdale House used to be great, but Howell ??? now....

Let me know when Squan Tavern opens up for indoor dining. I'm not driving a 100 + miles each way to sit in the parking lots or sun.

I was there to pick up a pie Friday. They have outdoor dining under a tent on the northern side between Broad and their lot as they have in the past. Takeout inside.

I was there to pick up a pie Friday. They have outdoor dining under a tent on the northern side between Broad and their lot as they have in the past. Takeout inside.
That's what I see on their FB page. Give a shout out when we/I can sit inside with A/C in the summer !

Joe used to ask me if I wanted to sit outside. "You're going to make me sit in the driveway ?". (We always went there Fri's for dinner.)

Went to one of my favs last night - The Shell in Beach Haven. Had the garlic clams, wings and crab cake on a picnic table on the sand under a palm tree. Had a couple of gin & tonics as well. It was awesome! Boy, didn’t realize I missed it so much!

That's what I see on their FB page. Give a shout out when we/I can sit inside with A/C in the summer !

Joe used to ask me if I wanted to sit outside. "You're going to make me sit in the driveway ?". (We always went there Fri's for dinner.)

My daughter insists on going there whenever she's in town. More often these days she picks up the tab.

Win-Win lol.

A long time ago I was in Rods with a group of people. We were talking football when 1 guy points to a gentleman and says if I like talking CFB I should talk to that guy. Says he played for Cuse and has a son at Illinois. From the board I knew it was you. I thought of walking over and say Hi but you looked busy with your own conversation so I passed.

So many years later Hey Will lol.

Just make your political point and stop beating around the bush. [/B]50% capacity sucks for restaurants. The alternative is to open wide open, have your staff and customers get sick and pay $7-$10k weekly to get the placed sanatized.
IN

Reactions: Jm0513
Is this because you are concerned about catching the virus?

I went to a bar restaurant on Thursday, didn't sit down and eat, just had a few drinks, played some cornhole.

Big parking lot, plenty of room. I do wonder how crowded it got over the weekend.

No. I don't feel like making a reservation and wondering if I'll get a table. Plus I work outside all day and I'd rather eat at night in a cool establishment.

Going to the Iron Whale in AP today. From what I saw yesterday, the tables seem to be spaced pretty far apart. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: bossnj1
BPG is great. Also, hoping the Witherspoon Grill opens their outdoor dining soon (we an expanded area). That's our family place.
Not much of a fan of witherspoon grill. BPG is good tho. Have you been to Elements since they moved above Mistral a few years back?

My daughter insists on going there whenever she's in town. More often these days she picks up the tab.

Win-Win lol.

A long time ago I was in Rods with a group of people. We were talking football when 1 guy points to a gentleman and says if I like talking CFB I should talk to that guy. Says he played for Cuse and has a son at Illinois. From the board I knew it was you. I thought of walking over and say Hi but you looked busy with your own conversation so I passed.

So many years later Hey Will lol.

Back at you. Always willing to talk anyone's ears off....or type away with 'stories' here.

I went to a local Deli late last week. I sat at a table inside the building-type structure and this human came up to me and asked me what I'd like to eat (I'm not sure what you call these people - "order taker superwoman" or something, I suppose).

There certainly were fewer tables in this place than there had been months ago - allowing for a more comfortable seating experience. Some people wore face-coverings, some did not.

Anywho, after I listed the food items I desired, about 4 minutes later she brought me a Styrofoam cup of water (with lid and straw), which was strange, because a while back I was told Styrofoam and straws killed people or something. Again, anywho - about 7 mins after that, the food products I desired were brought to my table by that same superperson-food-handler and I consumed them (the food not the person). Twice after that food delivery (to the table inside the building-structure) the food-superhander came to my table and asked "need anything else hun'?". I demurred. About 31 minutes after this whole ordeal began, I walk to the front of the Deli-food-building-wonderland and paid a bill for this experience (using a plastic card which magically allowed for no bacteria-infected paper to exchange hands).

All and all, it was a very strange experience. Oh, I haven't died yet.

Last edited:
I should mention Joe's Deli across the street from the Spring Lake train station. When/IF it's open, great sandwiches and home made soup.

Get your favorite to go and walk over to Spring Lake's park and sit and eat on a bench in the park or along the lake.

You won't care about the world's cares for an hour.....or.....you could go to Joe's early in the AM and pontificate AND Solve the world's cares in an hour with the other old geezers.

Not much of a fan of witherspoon grill. BPG is good tho. Have you been to Elements since they moved above Mistral a few years back?
We have gone to the new location twice, with another couple. It's really good, but pushes too much into the world of "gourmet/new" cuisine for us. We love WG since it has a roasted turkey special on Sundays (for the wife) and solids steaks, salads, and crab cakes/meat (for me). Our daughter loves it because they put a piece of paper on the table and she gets to color on it with crayons. We've been going monthly for about 4 years (since our little one was 4'ish). Became kind of a Sunday family tradition.

Reactions: goru1869
Rod's in Sea Girt for burgers or nice NY strip.
Squan Tavern for Italian or pizza.
Jimmy's in Neptune for crab meat stuffed lobster.
Kelly's in Neptune for cold beer and Ruben's.

Enough ? And I live 100 + miles each way now. Living in Howell ? Farmingdale House used to be great, but Howell ??? now....
When I lived in Belmar I used to go to Kelly's quite a bit. I used to love Haven's and Hampton's for seafood. Knew a bunch of the waitresses, so their already generous portions became huge. Would hit up Squan Tavern once in a blue moon but was never a Rod's guy. I think me and my guys went in their once in my lifetime for lunch and I lived in Belmar for 18 yrs..

Sandy was enough for me and getting married to a Cook girl, the decision to buy a farm was pretty much made for me. I kind of got lucky during Sandy. My house was 5 risers to the 1st floor, water came up to the 4th riser. I lost a lot, everything in the basement a dump truck and tools. Luckily, I was always a penny pincher, was out of business for only two weeks had the cash reserves to replace everything. I fixed the house and was out.

Last edited:
When I lived in Belmar I used to go to Kelly's quite a bit. I used to love Haven's and Hampton's for seafood. Knew a bunch of the waitresses, so their already generous portions became huge. Would hit up Squan Tavern once in a blue moon but was never a Rod's guy. I think me and my guys went in their once in my lifetime for lunch and I lived in Belmar for 18 yrs..

Sandy was enough for me and getting married to a Cook girl, the decision to buy a farm was pretty much made for me. I kind of got lucky during Sandy. My house was 5 risers to the 1st floor, water came up to the 4th riser. I lost a lot, everything in the basement a dump truck and tools. Luckily, I was always a penny pincher, was out of business for only two weeks had the cash reserves to replace everything. I fixed the house and was out.

Not recently of course but I meet my son for dinner at Kelly's once in a while. I also like Harrigan's. My sister and brother in law both like the Four Winds so we end up there once in a while. The food is fine but it's a little too cramped for me.

Not recently of course but I meet my son for dinner at Kelly's once in a while. I also like Harrigan's. My sister and brother in law both like the Four Winds so we end up there once in a while. The food is fine but it's a little too cramped for me.
Quick question. We are planning a weekday day trip to Spring Lake beach and their daily beach badges are broken into 6 sections. Section 1 is next to Sea Girt, Section 6 is next to Belmar. Facilities are in sections 2 and 5. Any recommendation? Not sure if this link will work:
https://d1wc0xwfo04ccn.cloudfront.net/SpringLake/assets/doc_mgr/4363555.pdf?ts=20200609053356

I'm thinking section 1?

Quick question. We are planning a weekday day trip to Spring Lake beach and their daily beach badges are broken into 6 sections. Section 1 is next to Sea Girt, Section 6 is next to Belmar. Facilities are in sections 2 and 5. Any recommendation? Not sure if this link will work:
https://d1wc0xwfo04ccn.cloudfront.net/SpringLake/assets/doc_mgr/4363555.pdf?ts=20200609053356

I'm thinking section 1?

Never been to the beach in Spring Lake. They don't even like it when I drive through town.:WideSmile:. Tagging @e5fdny and @Knight Shift

IMO the best seafood restaurant in NJ. Good seafood places are few and far between especially down the shore. Had reservations for Salt in New Brunswick on my wife’s birthday March 13, but that was the day after all he’ll broke loose, lol. Hope to get back there sometime soon.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
IMO the best seafood restaurant in NJ. Good seafood places are few and far between especially down the shore. Had reservations for Salt in New Brunswick on my wife’s birthday March 13, but that was the day after all he’ll broke loose, lol. Hope to get back there sometime soon.

I’m a huge seafood fan. BPG is the place to go? I live close in Hamilton. I have never been there but always heard good things.

We’ve been going there for about 12 years. Consistently fresh and well prepared seafood. Also if you’re an oyster lover, they usually have a selection of 8-12 different strains, all fresh and excellent. Their mignonette is the best I’ve had. Since they’re just opening back, unfortunately they don’t have their usual oyster selection and the menu is a bit limited, but they're very good at what they do. Another plus is it’s BYOB so you can save on the bar tab..

We will be heading to BPG soon! WG still isn't open for outdoor dining yet. By the way, is Salt the place that took over the old Panico location?

Reactions: bossnj1
nassau county has been in phase 2 for 2 weeks ( haircuts, outdoor dining)--we go to 3 on wedneday--virtually very little new cases in last 7 days--0 in my area

Love the dining on the great lawn idea. Beautiful view from there

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT