ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Peak moments in TV history

The 1958 NFL Championship game between the Baltimore Colts and NY Giants
should be high on this list
It might just be considered today as "the greatest game ever played”, as it was called back in the day.

The 1958 NFL Championship game between the Baltimore Colts and NY Giants
should be high on this list
It might just be considered today as "the greatest game ever played”, as it was called back in the day.
Keep in mind that the game was blacked out in the New York City viewing area because it was played at Yankee Stadium.

Keep in mind that the game was blacked out in the New York City viewing area because it was played at Yankee Stadium.
yes, but for the rest of country it was an amazing game to watch ( live)
For us in the NY area , the thrill of the game was gone when we seen it because we knew the results and heard how great a game it was.

yes, but for the rest of country it was an amazing game to watch ( live)
For us in the NY area , the thrill of the game was gone when we seen it because we knew the results and heard how great a game it was.
Most NYC area fans had listened live on an old-fashioned device called the AM radio. That's certainly how I remember hearing the game. (I can even visualize the radio I listened on; it was the then common four-tube radio.)

Reactions: Plum Street
Would the have a better idea if you said Sting or Bono?

Funny that you mentioned The Police
For some strange reason- Eddie Murphy’s “Roxann” was in my head all day yesterday. And I spent all day just singing it like him
They definitely don't know who Sting is. I didn't mention Bono specifically, but I doubt it. One niece, who just graduated from college, I showed her the We Are the World video and asked how many people she could identify - the list was Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, "That guy from Journey," and John Oates (who was signing in the chorus).

• Haha
Reactions: rurichdog
Most NYC area fans had listened live on an old-fashioned device called the AM radio. That's certainly how I remember hearing the game. (I can even visualize the radio I listened on; it was the then common four-tube radio.)

And a few fanatics crossed into Connecticut to watch the New Haven station broadcast of the game, sometimes renting a motel room for the afternoon

And a few fanatics crossed into Connecticut to watch the New Haven station broadcast of the game, sometimes renting a motel room for the afternoon
Yes, and the same was true for the first two heavyweight title fights between Ingemar Johannson and Floyd Patterson. Perhaps some got on the train the other way to watch on the Philadelphia stations.

Yes, and the same was true for the first two heavyweight title fights between Ingemar Johannson and Floyd Patterson. Perhaps some got on the train the other way to watch on the Philadelphia stations.

Not for Westchester & Bergen.

yea the AM broadcast let Giant fans hear what was happening.
I didn't listen to the game , was out playing somewhere ,and missed hearing
a great game .

Maybe some people around New Brunswick did. But many probably had those rotor antennas that could catch Philly TV stations.
Do you guys remember when you could get ABC TV audio on AM radio? I remember some guys listening to Brett Musburger call a college football game on their radio while we were in the Yellow Lot.

Do you guys remember when you could get ABC TV audio on AM radio? I remember some guys listening to Brett Musburger call a college football game on their radio while we were in the Yellow Lot.
Yes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT