ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Post different types of beer you've tried, and how it was.

2019 Prairie Christmas Bomb is an excellent cinnamon holiday spice bomb...

The Bomb! that we all know and love, with the addition of Christmas spices – cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

Kane Double Barrel Evening Bell (red wine and bourbon) is underrated. Great combo of the wine and bourbon barrels.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Got Troon's release yesterday and I love them so much but they're starting to really annoy me. Some lines are packed before they even announce and it's getting bad. I wonder if they'll switch their method eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
2019 Prairie Christmas Bomb is an excellent cinnamon holiday spice bomb...

The Bomb! that we all know and love, with the addition of Christmas spices – cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

Kane Double Barrel Evening Bell (red wine and bourbon) is underrated. Great combo of the wine and bourbon barrels.
19 River Horse Craic is out. Aged in Jameson barrels. I highly recommend it. Speaking of stouts aged in Irish Whiskey barrels, can Prairie do an Irish Whiskey Bomb variant with mint for St. Patrick's Day? They could call it the Leprechaun Bomb.

Got Troon's release yesterday and I love them so much but they're starting to really annoy me. Some lines are packed before they even announce and it's getting bad. I wonder if they'll switch their method eventually.
More like most lines are packed before they announce because they cater to the insiders and don't seem to care much about a broader audience.
19 River Horse Craic is out. Aged in Jameson barrels. I highly recommend it. Speaking of stouts aged in Irish Whiskey barrels, can Prairie do an Irish Whiskey Bomb variant with mint for St. Patrick's Day? They could call it the Leprechaun Bomb.
Haven't tried Craic but it sounds good so I'll grab a bottle. I'm not a huge mint fan. Perennial 17 was good for a small 4 or 5 oz taste but I couldn't have more. Speaking of Prairie, they just released a small brewery only run of Pirate Christmas.

Reactions: bigmatt718

They don't have any room to expand and announcing the releases ahead of time seems like it would lead to an enormous headache for all involved.

More like most lines are packed before they announce because they cater to the insiders and don't seem to care much about a broader audience.
Haven't tried Craic but it sounds good so I'll grab a bottle. I'm not a huge mint fan. Perennial 17 was good for a small 4 or 5 oz taste but I couldn't have more. Speaking of Prairie, they just released a small brewery only run of Pirate Christmas.

I say this as someone who has never gotten there for a crowler of anything, that's not true. They don't cater to insiders. People literally just show up and hang around like vultures every day waiting for Troon to post on instagram that there's going to be a release. Besides if you want to drink the beers, 99% of them wind up on tap at Brick Farm. I've been more than happy to go get a great meal and have some Troon on tap.

I'm lucky that I leave work and have to drive by at basically around the same time they do releases so I can get there in time but I'll be there 5 minutes after an announcement and there is already 50 people on line. I also should be an "insider" at this point considering how many times I buy from them but don't know what I'm doing wrong haha.

They don't have any room to expand and announcing the releases ahead of time seems like it would lead to an enormous headache for all involved.

I say this as someone who has never gotten there for a crowler of anything, that's not true. They don't cater to insiders. People literally just show up and hang around like vultures every day waiting for Troon to post on instagram that there's going to be a release. Besides if you want to drink the beers, 99% of them wind up on tap at Brick Farm. I've been more than happy to go get a great meal and have some Troon on tap.

I know at this point they don't have room but they have to be making money hand over fist so in the next year or two he tries to expand or just keeps it to small batch like now. It's his business his decision but selfishly I would just like it to be easier to get my hands on and this coming from someone who gets their hands on it a lot.

I do think they have a certain amount of people they are friendly with now that probably get a heads up no matter what they say. How do you become that person who knows. Brick Farm is also great for a meal and a drink but even that bar is small and only fits so many people so it's still a little difficult. I know they have a deal with them but maybe they could expand their kegs to a few more spots in Somerset/Mercer.

Having a Icarus Spelt Check. Also picked up some more Mast Landing Gunners Daughter Milk Stout, stuff is so good. I see Kane is doing a release tomorrow Holy Night it sounds fantastic. Wish they were a little closer.

We can agree to disagree because they cater to insiders, many of which just want to make $ so they keep 1 and sell or trade the rest. Even some of the big spenders don't get the same treatment because they aren't an insider. People campout after they're tipped off of a release. I've never tried to get a release and just get it at BFT or buy a crowler on the secondary, if I can.
I'm lucky that I leave work and have to drive by at basically around the same time they do releases so I can get there in time but I'll be there 5 minutes after an announcement and there is already 50 people on line. I also should be an "insider" at this point considering how many times I buy from them but don't know what I'm doing wrong haha.

I know at this point they don't have room but they have to be making money hand over fist so in the next year or two he tries to expand or just keeps it to small batch like now. It's his business his decision but selfishly I would just like it to be easier to get my hands on and this coming from someone who gets their hands on it a lot.

I do think they have a certain amount of people they are friendly with now that probably get a heads up no matter what they say. How do you become that person who knows. Brick Farm is also great for a meal and a drink but even that bar is small and only fits so many people so it's still a little difficult. I know they have a deal with them but maybe they could expand their kegs to a few more spots in Somerset/Mercer.
Being that close is nice and makes it easier to get a release. I'm curious if they'll ever expand production and distro or if they like their current model.
Does the microbrew world need another coffee stout?
Of course. I love coffee stouts.

Kane BA German Chocolate Cake Stout was Kane's best of the year. Liquid cake. Perfect blend of chocolate, coconut and barrel, and not too sweet...

Aged in bourbon barrels for over a year and conditioned on pecans, cacao nibs, vanilla beans and toasted coconut.

Reactions: Zak57 and Postman_1
At BFT, Alementary Arecibo was awesome and highly underrated, great coffee flavor. Troon In Defiance of the Sages was good, but overrated.

Arecibo...
Launchpad meets Porterico! We took our Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout and conditioned it on Koffeewagon Papua New Guinea coffee beans and loads of fresh coconut.

Troon...
Imperial Milk Stout aged in beautiful, freshly dumped 7 year Laird's Applejack barrels. Presented simply without any additional adjuncts.

Reactions: Zak57 and Postman_1
At BFT, Alementary Arecibo was awesome and highly underrated, great coffee flavor. Troon In Defiance of the Sages was good, but overrated.

Arecibo...
Launchpad meets Porterico! We took our Imperial Oatmeal Milk Stout and conditioned it on Koffeewagon Papua New Guinea coffee beans and loads of fresh coconut.

Troon...
Imperial Milk Stout aged in beautiful, freshly dumped 7 year Laird's Applejack barrels. Presented simply without any additional adjuncts.

I just finished my Arecibo last week and thought it was good not great. I paid $22 for a 4 pack and didnt pick up any of the coconut like the label said. I expected it to taste like Trilliums PM Dawn but it didnt because of the lack of coconut. It did have a nice coffee flavor though.

I just finished my Arecibo last week and thought it was good not great. I paid $22 for a 4 pack and didnt pick up any of the coconut like the label said. I expected it to taste like Trilliums PM Dawn but it didnt because of the lack of coconut. It did have a nice coffee flavor though.
I loved the heavy coffee flavor and it had some coconut.

I loved the heavy coffee flavor and it had some coconut.

Do you know how old your cans were? I read that the coconut flavor is the first flavor to go. My cans were from the first week of October that may be why I didnt pick it up. Kane had a release today of a coconut/coffee stout called Holy Night that sounded tremendous. I saw a pic of the lines outside crazy. It sold out

Do you know how old your cans were? I read that the coconut flavor is the first flavor to go. My cans were from the first week of October that may be why I didnt pick it up. Kane had a release today of a coconut/coffee stout called Holy Night that sounded tremendous. I saw a pic of the lines outside crazy. It sold out
I had Arecibo on tap at BFT tonight. I also got some Kane Holy Nights earlier. Last year's was excellent.

Reactions: Postman_1
If anyone hasn't had the 19 Bourbon BA World Wide Stout by Dogfish Head, get it ASAP. It is absolutely incredible this year fresh. Can't wait to age the other bottles for a few years.

Having a Lagunitas Willettized 2018 Coffee Stout. Aged it for a year in basement I regret not getting two of them. Tremendous coffee flavor!

49260379857_1b1147f309_c.jpg

Kane 2019 Holy Nights was awesome. Smooth, nice balance of coffee roast, coconut, chocolate and vanilla...

An Imperial Stout conditioned on freshly toasted coconut, roasted cacao nibs, Madagascar vanilla beans and Rook coffee. Holy Nights strikes an ideal balance between all four of these flavors and is best enjoyed celebrating the winter holidays.

Reactions: Postman_1
2016 Deschutes Abyss. Aged very very nicely. Also a KBS Espresso which is good but I like regular KBS better. mans a Maine Fall Coffee Stout. Also very nice but the others were better.

2016 Deschutes Abyss. Aged very very nicely. Also a KBS Espresso which is good but I like regular KBS better. mans a Maine Fall Coffee Stout. Also very nice but the others were better.
I didn't care for the KBS Espresso.

2019 Trillium Night & Day Imperial Stout with cold brewed coffee was excellent, nice coffee flavor (I may prefer the darker roast versions)...

How do you take your coffee? We like ours cold brewed by @barringtoncoffee and paired alongside our annual massive Imperial Stout. For the 2019 vintage of Night & Day, we transitioned from dark roast coffee beans to light roast, resulting in our most expressive, yet well-integrated coffee character to date.⁠

With soul-warming notes of roasted espresso, cocoa powder, and caramel, bottles of 2019 Night & Day are now available ...⁠

Having Icarus Rain Sleet or Snow. Fitting for today. It’s a oatmeal stout, very good as all Icarus beers are.

Icarus Kalashnikoffee a Russian Stout at 14.5%. Good coffee flavor, another great Icarus offering.

49436074498_1dee2f09c0_c.jpg

I finally tried the Kane/Grimm collab Waffling...and frankly was disappointed. Kane Sunday brunch is one of my favorite stouts and Grimm is my favorite NYC brewery. This was underwhelming.

I enjoyed that beer but damn strong. If I had two my wife would have to carry me to bed.

If your wife carries your drunk ass to bed, you have a good wife and probably a good night . Most of us will just be waking up on the couch.

Icarus makes some good beers, but they are a bit of a chase to get some.

2020 Coffee Shop Vibes was a nice, thick coffee RIS, reminiscent of Perennial Sump, which is no more...

Imperial Stout finished on Sump Colombian Huila Noir coffee beans

Last edited:
Was at Mohegan Sun yesterday, and thankfully the Thomas Hooker tap room was replaced with a New Belgium tap room. Their IPA game is better than most give them credit for, but the real star of the show were the three barrel aged sours on tap. NB's sour game is on point, so good.

Kane Bourbon BA Sunday Brunch (2020) is nice and smooth...
Barrel-Aged Sunday Brunch is an Imperial milk porter brewed with maple syrup, aged in blend of Barton, Old Forester, Woodford Reserve, and Heaven Hill bourbon barrels for over a year and conditioned on cinnamon and Rook coffee.

Was at Mohegan Sun yesterday, and thankfully the Thomas Hooker tap room was replaced with a New Belgium tap room. Their IPA game is better than most give them credit for, but the real star of the show were the three barrel aged sours on tap. NB's sour game is on point, so good.

For Belgian Trippel fans New Belgium Trippel is VG and a steal at $10 per six pak.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT