ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Santa brought me a new knee for Christmas

RU Golfer

Senior
Dec 4, 2009
Got a full knee replacement done on Tuesday.......I have been told I have a high tolerance for pain, but by far this is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. As I have been told the physical therapy is worse than the surgery, I can attest to that! Long eight weeks ahead!

Happy Holidays to All!

Yea the PT sucks. Many people choose to do both at basically same time to only be miserable once. Hips are easy so you have that to look forward to

Reactions: Knightmoves
My mother in law had done a couple yrs ago and still struggles with the pain

The PT isn't as bad as it was 25-30 years ago. Back then it was a wrestling match. Now I see patients coming in 7-10 days post op and they are already bending their knee 100 degrees. Just do what you are supposed to and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good luck.

The PT isn't as bad as it was 25-30 years ago. Back then it was a wrestling match. Now I see patients coming in 7-10 days post op and they are already bending their knee 100 degrees. Just do what you are supposed to and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good luck.
I am fighting through the pain. Do not plan on screwing this up

The problem with Santa giving you a new knee is they are made of wood. I think you may have to go through surgery again in a few years? 😉
Best of luck and a quick recovery

Reactions: RU Golfer
I've been told 15 years ago I need a knee replacement after having ACL surgery 40 years ago. I'm in a little pain but not worth replacement surgery. Still waiting on some sort of advancement I've read about from a doctor in Florida that goes in from the side, sort of along the way hip replacement gets done. Early reviews are amazing, very little cutting, mostly moving tendons around and to the side to get access.

Reactions: Knightmoves
just got gel shots again in both knees. I dont want a knee replacement but...
Left knee bone on bone, dealing with pain and meds to offset pain.
Doc said when its unbearable and stops you from doin things then its time.
This month Ive dragged 2 deer outta the woods in a 2 week period and went pheasant hunting 2 days a week fer the past 5 weeks.
Pain sucks but I'm dealin with it.
Ive seen the gamut of knee replacement from perfect to pain still occurring to walking with a cane with multiple surgery's.
My orthopedic Surgeon said Gods parts are better than ours.

I had the surgery last year. Best gift I ever gave myself. Once you make the first full rotation on the exercise bike you are over the hump and its all downhill from there. Good luck with the rehab

This month Ive dragged 2 deer outta the woods in a 2 week period and went pheasant hunting 2 days a week fer the past 5 weeks.
Ive seen the gamut of knee replacement from perfect to pain still occurring to walking with a cane with multiple surgery's.
Yup, I agree. It's all over the charts with this surgery. I know of 2 people where the results was so bad, they went in again! No thank you. I'm 68, still walk everyday, not nearly as far as I'd like, but fork it, I'm not going through rehab again if I can live with some discomfort. Merry Christmas.

Reactions: Bagarocks
What do you guys think of collagen and/or glucosamine? Any help or just mumbo jumbo?

How are the gel shots working. I'm bone to bone on both knees and I'm willing to try anything to stay away from knee replacements

I had a full right knee replacement done on my b-day in August worked super hard at pt. I said to myself you're sitting around doing nothing you got to get up and work the PT as often as your told as in the long run you'll be much better off for it. After my 3-month post-op with my surgeon I congratulated him and his team for a job very well done and he said no you're the one that needs to be congratulated because you took your PT really seriously and you have full range of motion and no scar tissue and minimal pain. He did say Id have some pain for the first year but thats normal and I have very little, most days no, pain.

The key is work the pt, work the PT suffer through the pain short term and you'll be way better off in the long run.

Reactions: Rhuarc
How are the gel shots working. I'm bone to bone on both knees and I'm willing to try anything to stay away from knee replacements
my experience is gel shots don't work on bone to bone...and my surgeon stated that was the case... but we tried it anyway...didn't work at all for me.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
First 2 years they worked exceptionally well.
Getting every 6 months.
Since then they have been gradually decreasing on my B on B knee.
I have good days and bad days you know how it is.
But if you haven't tried ya got nuthin to lose to try. I'm getting the Rooster comb type of gel.
I'm now getting cortisone shots at start of hunting season to head off inflammation.
And I use arthritis anti-inflammatory drugs.
Good luck merry Christmas

Got a full knee replacement done on Tuesday.......I have been told I have a high tolerance for pain, but by far this is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. As I have been told the physical therapy is worse than the surgery, I can attest to that! Long eight weeks ahead!

Happy Holidays to All!
I had a TKR of my left knee 2 years ago. DO the PT but don’t let them push you past your pain threshold! Hopefully you don’t need to use any stairs right away! Best wishes!

What do you guys think of collagen and/or glucosamine? Any help or just mumbo jumbo?
If you are bone-on-bone, it is mumbo jumbo. The surgery doesn’t hurt; the recovery does! Do the physical therapy. Actually work on strengthening the quadriceps as much as you can stand prior to surgery. It will give you a nice head start going in to PT.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I have arthritic cartilage degeneration in both knees (especially the meniscus), although it's moderately worse in my right knee for reasons unknown. Over the last 2 years I've tried a few steroid injections and only had minor relief, so tried the still somewhat experimental PRP therapy (where they collect some blood and centrifuge it down, taking the platelet rich plasma fraction and injecting that into the knee to stimulate growth factors which supposedly reduce inflammation), which worked pretty well for 5-6 months but the pain has returned somewhat.

During this time I went for two rounds of PT and still do about 20 minutes of knee exercises every other day, mostly building strength in the quads, which has been shown to stave off the need for knee replacements. Having said all that, the pain isn't enough to keep me from playing sports and being active (4-5 rounds of disc golf a week and once weekly soccer, plus regular walks with my wife), so I'm not quite at the knee replacement stage, but I've been thinking about it, as I'd still rather be 100% than 85% and of the dozen or more people I know who've had them, they all swear by them. So it's interesting to read all the comments here.

With regard to surgery, I did have a full rotator cuff tear repaired about 10 years ago and the first 36 hours post-op was the worst pain I ever had (after the nerve block wore off), but after that, no issue for me. People would talk about how terrible the PT was and I never thought the PT was more than a mild annoyance - I was religious about going to PT and doing PT work at home and in about 3.5 months I was back to full activity. My PT guy is one of the best in the area (works with many RU athletes): Alex Ivashenko at Professional PT.

Happy Holidays to All!
Good luck. It's important to be diligent with the physical therapy. I should have gotten mine done 10 years earlier. I had opposite experience. I had pain, but nothing to complain about. I was off percoset in 1 day using only tylenol after that. Walked 3 hours after surgery, off the walker in 2 days, was able to do 30 squats 2 days after surgery and was fully cleared to do everything but run and jump after 3 weeks. Full recovery does take a year. Had my left knee done in 2020. Going in for my right knee in March.

Happy Holidays to All!
Yes it will hurt the first week but if you do the rehab and work hard to get back to full degree of flexion I think with 5-6 weeks you will be surprised how much better the quality of you life will be. Work hard… listen to the therapist.. The key lies in the competency of the ortho surgeon.Hip replaced 7 years ago and knee 6 years .

First few days PT went very well but painful.....it now seems like I have taken a step back....I will keep plugging along

Reactions: Bagarocks
As mentioned above, hip replacement is a much easier/less painful procedure than the knee. Still required PT and I eliminated running which had the added benefit of making my knees feel great. Get regular exercise on the Peloton.

First few days PT went very well but painful.....it now seems like I have taken a step back....I will keep plugging along
Don’t be hesitant to ask your therapists what they think . Each patient is different and pain is real. Pain during the rehab is probably normal as you are breaking down scar tissue and attempting to recapture mobility of the joint as much as possible. Ice is your friend in the process.

I got a total replacement done in august
At 3 weeks my pain improved
I did PT on my own and the more you do the more it will hurt but you have no other choice if you want to get back to activity
I played and walked 18 holes 6.5 weeks out from surgery
Carried my bag too
It was my back leg so that made it easier
I plan on snowboarding in Feb
I got a non-cemented knee
my doctor tells me to do what I feel I can do
Mount Sinai NYC
I shot baskets for 10 minutes the other day
It doesn't feel normal but it beats sitting on my butt

I am fighting through the pain. Do not plan on screwing this up

work the pt as hard and often as possible...its the KEY LONG TERM DIFFERENCE MAKER!!

This can't be emphasized enough: the more you put into it, the better results you get. When I had my knee rebuilt years ago I asked my PT provider what the restrictions were for my doing additional work at home. And I worked my ass off at home and in the gym when I wasn't doing PT. The results speak for themselves: I was way ahead of the curve as far as recovery from that procedure.

I did PT on my own and the more you do the more it will hurt but you have no other choice if you want to get back to activity
Carried my bag too
Mount Sinai NYC
Your age will be a big factor in recovery it’s just a fact.

Carried my bag too
Mount Sinai NYC
Just curious here … you mentioned it was your “back leg” … never heard legs referred to as front or hind quarters( back) . Most of us unfortunate have only two.😜

I'm 63 and was in good shape otherwise
Agree totally
Unlike most , I luckily was active up to the surgery
I just had too many surgeries on that knee

I had a few surgeries on my knee as well....Doc said it was done either live with the pain and the buckling and falling or get a knee. It is my rear leg as well (golf, baseball swing) I got to the point where I could not bend down, the leg also did not like lateral movement and would buckle in....Last time on the course it gave out and I was flat on my back in the Tee Box. I am 56 and was pretty active......Hope to be back in the game come spring.

Back leg on my golf swing
Ok thanks … I got back to golf for 3 years post surgery but at age 70 spinal stenosis and sacroillitis bouts killed that joy. Now my exercise includes daily walking , stretching and realizing my limitations to run and hit golf balls has to be carefully monitored.

My original surgery was pretty bad (ACL,PCL, and MCL)
In a cast for 3 weeks and on crutches for close to 4 months
For me , the replacement recovery wasn't as bad as the first surgery
I was never in horrible pain with this last surgery but it didn't let me sleep well for 3 weeks
In the 4 th week I turned a corner
I'm sure that's kind of normal
The awesome thing is that you can walk on it and walking is actually good for it
The bike is the best thing at first
I do a lot of resistance training on it now
Seems to be working

I was never in horrible pain with this last surgery but it didn't let me sleep well for 3 weeks
The awesome thing is that you can walk on it and walking is actually good for it
Seems to be working
Seems to be
Seems to be working
Your original surgery of multiple ligaments was as bad as possible . Similar to several football players over the years. Replacement will be like a piece of cake.

my experience is gel shots don't work on bone to bone...and my surgeon stated that was the case... but we tried it anyway...didn't work at all for me.
Same with me. I had the shots twice, 6 months apart. Never worked and I was told the only chance was if it was the computer guided. My doctor said so much of my gel couldn't get to the exact spot because of scar tissue. Literary the gel couldn't come out of the syringe as the scar tissue was like a wall. Never again as he only got to hit near where I needed it to go. $hit show, lol

Same with me. I had the shots twice, 6 months apart. Never worked and I was told the only chance was if it was the computer guided. My doctor said so much of my gel couldn't get to the exact spot because of scar tissue. Literary the gel couldn't come out of the syringe as the scar tissue was like a wall. Never again as he only got to hit near where I needed it to go. $hit show, lol
Had relief for roughly 2-3 years with some off days. Surgery used to be delayed as long as possible age wise. Over 55-60… now younger than 50 is being done. The surgery is better and hasn’t dramatically changed the past 5-7 years. If you research it they don’t expect any drastic improvements over the next 5 years. Seems the surgeon who did your knee with the gel should have realized this. I remember my doctor watching on the screen. Keep working hard.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT