ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SMU Stanford Cal to the ACC

They don’t, according to the stories.

No share for SMU and about 30% shares for Stanford and Cal for the next 7 years.

By then, FSU and Clemson are out or close to getting out and the deal will need to be redone anyway,
I’d love an explanation as to how this makes any financial sense…this move seems like a textbook definition of desperation…they literally had no better option that this weird, awkward geographic cluster and it somehow made sense.

Remarkable state of affairs.

Parenthetically; how lucky is Rutgers?!?

Last edited:
Let the bidding wars between the SEC and B1G begin over Clemson/FSU.

I like SMU being bold and betting on their long-term future. They are forgoing 9 years of American $ and taking on added travel cost to be back in a power conference (for now, anyway) with the chance to be a real player again in the future.

I don't see this move keeping FSU and Clemson around long term. Maybe NC State felt, well, either this gets them to stay, or if they leave, they may feel the All Coasts Conference is better for NCSU overall than the ACC without their top two football programs.

But this is all rather silly, and has been for some time now.

I’d love an explanation as to how this makes any financial sense…this move seems like a textbook definition of desperation…they literally had no better option that this weird, awkward geographic cluster made sense.

Remarkable state of affairs.

Parenthetically; how lucky is Rutgers?!?

Cal and Stanford were receiving approx $37m in media revenue per year.
They are now going DOWN to approx $8m???
Forgot additional travel costs or just normal inflation and increasing expenses.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
SMU makes 7-10M currently. and some of it was beefed up with defections and payouts to the conference.

While a lot of money, they are only forgoing 63-100M total. Being part of the Power 4, they might make some money from CFP and other aspects of being in the ACC to offset the loss.

This might have been their last chance at something.. They are never getting into the other Power 3.

I commend them at taking that chance, even though it might royally backfire.

Forgot additional travel costs or just normal inflation and increasing expenses.
You think the Rutgers 1000 are vocal? Cal has a VERY vocal contingent of profs and administrators who hate athletics. This should go well for them.

You think the Rutgers 1000 are vocal? Cal has a VERY vocal contingent of profs and administrators who hate athletics. This should go well for them.
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
I'd tend to agree that ship has sailed
But I like when smaller schools come up and make noise
Maybe in the 80s…but those 4 schools have made such giant strides in alumni base, facilities and influence that it would be hard to. They can absolutely be competitive. Similar to the idea that RU would disrupt state penns recruiting power in NJ…we really have not. We are better so yay, but we have not really changed the power dynamic. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe in the 80s…but those 4 schools have made such giant strides in alumni base, facilities and influence that it would be hard to. They can absolutely be competitive. Similar to the idea that RU would disrupt state penns recruiting power in NJ…we really have not. We are better so yay, but we have not really changed the power dynamic. 🤷🏻‍♂️
These things can take time, and with Rutgers, it was 1 step up and 10 steps back under the end of the Flood tenure and then Ash.

I mean...at what point is the current college athletics model broken?
My idea of two separate departments "Revenue Athletics" and "Non-Revenue Athletics" is making more and more sense by the day.

The alternative was $3.5m+~ in the MWC. $30m in the ACC seems a lot better.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I mean...at what point is the current college athletics model broken?
My idea of two separate departments "Revenue Athletics" and "Non-Revenue Athletics" is making more and more sense by the day.
Agreed.
I have many problems with what is going on.
1. NIL is not really NIL. It is pay for play. Either call it that, or put in some guide rails NCAA/Congress

2. Sadly, college athletics has been hijacked and become beholden to media companies. Maybe it was always that way, but it seems that Fox/ESPN/etc are driving the bus with less involvement from Universities, who seem to be selling their souls for the purported almighty dollar--but in the case of Cal, Stanford, SMU- where/when is the payoff with all this additional travel.

3. Will NEVER happen, but NCAA/Conferences should enforce rules that a certain percentage/amount of media money MUST be spent on non-revenue sports. There should also be total transparency in reporting by the schools.

4. Otherwise, just make football/men's hoops (and Nebraska Volleyball!!!) "affiliates of their respective Universities.

This is just my morning spitball approach. Got to get back to my work/job so I can write that six figure NIL check to Rutgers later. 🙄😜

Reactions: RUScrew85
I don’t want to see any more bitching about the deal Rutgers got when we joined the B1G.

Stop complaining about getting mugged and losing your wallet.
Someone completely unrelated had a car stolen somewhere else

Not sure what one has to do with another........
Just further highlights that conferences aren't actually about equality and equal partnerships and schools coming together for a common mindset.
They about the current members using the new members to make more money for themselves.

Maybe someone can explain further but this doesn’t sound good: “SMU will not receive any media rights revenue for 1st 7 years.”
SMU is very well supported by its very monied alumni/booster base. They will tread water nicely until their full share kicks in.

It’s called donors and endowments in the billions. That’s an important part of this.
Current Endowments from Wikipedia:

Stanford $35.0 Billion
Cal Berkeley $2.7 Billion
SMU 1.9 Billion

Rutgers $1.8 Billion

Stanford with the 2nd or 3rd highsest endowment in the USA should have no problem. The other two... not too shabby, but not rolling in it like Stanford .

Oil money. Their boosters are willing to do whatever it takes to send SMU to P4.
Oil money?? That industry is fighting for its existence and if certain people had their way it would be gone tomorrow . Those oil people have more to be concerned about than Smu.

It's actually 9 years of tv revenue SMU was willing to forego.

So smu will be eligible to receive TV money at the exact moment fsu Clemson and the others leave for the b1g and sec. Then the revenue share will revert back to what they are currently getting in the aac after ESPN renegotiates with the left overs.

I posted a Mandel tweet above with more details. It will be likely around 20M and includes money excluding tier 1 media money.

Dallas also seems like it will be a crossroads to reduce travel and hold conference games for some sports.

Reactions: NickRU714
Another crazy turn of events. Cal and Stanford made the only move available - they had to do this.

Wazzou and Oregon State will join the MWC (or possibly keep the PAC name).

The ACC may gain a new Saturday night time slot and now has a toehold in Texas and California (two top-ten media markets).

College sports got weirder.

Is anybody left in the PAC 12? I can't even remember who used to be in it. But I guess they need to find some place to go, which is what Cal and Stanford just did...

The real slap in the face is they took smu over Yukon. I guess no one really cares a out those bball championships their fans cling to.
Most of the BE 2.0 and even a few of the AAC schools got a Power Conference spot before Connie did. And if/when the ACC loses FSU/Clemson/UNC/UVA, they'll backfill with USF, Temple, and Tulane most likely before UConn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT