ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports Illustrated dead

Are the plus size models and trans models part of their content?
Are we really debating the migration of media and that how people get their information has evolved? Maybe cutting all their best writers and photographers had a little more to do with it than the “offensive” models? You probably just agreed with me - no, those publications I mentioned didn’t feature those models and they are shells of what they were.

Are we really debating the migration of media and that how people get their information has evolved? Maybe cutting all their best writers and photographers had a little more to do with it than the “offensive” models? You probably just agreed with me - no, those publications I mentioned didn’t feature those models and they are shells of what they were.
Their reporting had gone downhill and The Athletic jumped over them. Debt fueled takeover put the dagger in them.

My favorite issue

indianapolis-colts-quarterback-peyton-manning-2013-nfl-september-03-2007-sports-illustrated-cover.jpg

Their reporting had gone downhill and The Athletic jumped over them. Debt fueled takeover put the dagger in them.
Curious - do you subscribe to the Athletic? I get these “teases” on my social media feeds and it looks really interesting. Would you recommend it?

Okay, name me a vintage magazine that is thriving today? Some biz models can adapt and some can’t (pun sort of intended). To blame their downfall on featuring plus size models briefly is myopic and ridiculous. I love this board community but geez sometimes with you folks…

This this this. They were in trouble long before “they went woke”

Reactions: rucoe89
Curious - do you subscribe to the Athletic? I get these “teases” on my social media feeds and it looks really interesting. Would you recommend it?
I have not. I have received a few trial articles and they were not bad. But they too have their "hack piece" tendencies such as this one:

Rutgers Hack Piece Via The Athletic

Hack pieces are written by hack journalists. Some may like Stewart Mandel, but I think he is lazy and not very good as to his research and balance. His is like a Colin Cowherd / Stephen A Smith / Skip Bayless type. They have potential (I have read some of Skip's early works), but rely on framing for meatheads to drive viewership.

Last edited:
I have not. I have received a few trial articles and they were not bad. But they too have their "hack piece" tendencies such as this one:

Hack pieces are written by hack journalists. Some may like Stewart Mandel, but I think he is lazy and not very good as to his research and balance.
I subscribe to The Athletic for its Giants content. Also like the NFL draft stuff. It’s not crazy $$ so it’s worth it IMO

Reactions: rucoe89
Yes. Those late 1970's Swimsuit Issues were 🔥. Got a subscription to SI as a wee lad, and I saved all those mags, but they got tossed out when my parents cleaned the attic. I was like:

Season 5 No GIF by The Office
Can you blame them? Pages were probably all sticking together because of all that whacking action those things went through.

GO RU

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift

This site going strong 25 years later

I do, and so does @rutgersguy1

I'm a frugal elitist (right @jtung230 !), and I don't like throwing away money to information that is readily obtained from free sources.

I got my subscription for $1/month, and I pried open my wallet with a crow bar and parted with the $12. It has been well worth it. Subscription ends in a few weeks and goes up to $8/month. No way I am going to spend that much.

The Athletic is the old sports page of the NYT, a rag that I loathe intensely.

Hack pieces are written by hack journalists. Some may like Stewart Mandel, but I think he is lazy and not very good as to his research and balance. His is like a Colin Cowherd / Stephen A Smith / Skip Bayless type. They have potential (I have read some of Skip's early works), but rely on framing for meatheads to drive viewership.
Mandel is a dick. A Northwestern alum too. I haunted him on Twitter when the NW scandal hit and he did not have a peep to say about it, and I'm sure he cowered in fear. 😂 Overall, the writing is pretty good and they have some good angles. Like I said above, doubt I will spend more than $1/month (maybe $2) to keep the subscription. Got tuition to pay for one more kid and retirement dreams.

Can you blame them? Pages were probably all sticking together because of all that whacking action those things went through.

GO RU
What happens in the attic stays in the attic. Only the ghosts know what went on up there. Mom always wondered why I was so interested in a spotlessly clean attic and peeps said that I had such a strong handshake. 💪🫱

This is a sad day for me. I remember when I was a kid going to the main public library in Elizabeth on Saturday morning to see the latest issues of SI and the Sporting News (we couldn't afford a subscription). In the pre- internet/cable TV days this was one of my main ways of getting national sports news. When I was done I'd walk down Elizabeth Ave. back to the Port stopping at Jerry's along the way for a couple of hot dogs.
Good memories.

R.I.P. - SI

Last edited:
I have it and post snippets of articles here from time to time.

I like it and I only read it for CFB. If you like other sports I’d guess it would be good for those too. It’s like 1-2 bucks a month for a year on promotions they run throughout the year. Don’t have to renew it and then sign up again when another promotion comes around. If you cancel near the end of that year they offer a deal maybe not as good as the promotions but close.

The athletic is great if you're into deep analysis and data driven content. It's not the most timely or comprehensive if you're trying to read game summaries and recaps. Closer to Bill Simmons' Grantland when it was on ESPN.

Anyone with a half a brain knows that the demise of SI has nothing to do with being woke. The medium of magazines died a while ago and no pictures of big women and MILFs caused the end of SI. However if wokeism killed SI then what killed Soldier of Fortune magazine? Pictures of pink guns? What killed The Weekly Standard? Mitch McConnell in a speedo? SI had its place but no one wants to read old information anymore, everyone wants today's news today.

Anyone with a half a brain knows that the demise of SI has nothing to do with being woke. The medium of magazines died a while ago and no pictures of big women and MILFs caused the end of SI. However if wokeism killed SI then what killed Soldier of Fortune magazine? Pictures of pink guns? What killed The Weekly Standard? Mitch McConnell in a speedo? SI had its place but no one wants to read old information anymore, everyone wants today's news today.
Even Playboy- the still kept hot naked women.

Magazines are dead.

Good post. But SI did give some depth. No sports news organization does that anymore

Reactions: RU from Jersey
Lol Spanky. 50% here would hit that and probably even more, they just wouldnt admit it.

Well they'd be perfect up in Syracuse, because they could keep you warm through those frigid winter nights on the Frozen Tundra.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT