ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Taylor Swift's Updated "All Too Well" on SNL

Really? Why? You're as bad as those who are criticizing liking TS in this thread. People like different genres, so what? And, I know this might be a shock to you, but some people like stuff from a lot of different genres. So someone could be a fan of yacht rock, TS and death metal.

Of course, anyone who doesn't appreciate Minnie Riperton just plain out sucks!

I never liked that song, but try to never give people grief over what music they like, since it's so subjective. And saying, "I don't like that song," is far different from saying, "that song sucks" (as if that's a fact, when it's an opinion).

I never liked that song, but try to never give people grief over what music they like, since it's so subjective. And saying, "I don't like that song," is far different from saying, "that song sucks" (as if that's a fact, when it's an opinion).

Well I've been trying to promote it with Athletic Department as our now entrance song for the football team, but no luck so far.

Reactions: RU848789
bac's guiding principle in life...

1dKuotw.png

Wow just wow. How old are you????

As I said in that thread, I love some of it, hate some of it and am neutral on some of it. Having said that, IMO, there's a decent percentage of Yacht Rock that is simply some of the worst music ever made (I don't tend to "hate" as many songs in other genres), which is why so many critics and musical artists have looked down on Yacht Rock. But what I find amusing is bac starting a thread on Yacht Rock, implying it's some sort of "manly" genre ("men get in here and post your favorite YR songs"), lol.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/624635/yacht-rock-music-resurgence

Lol critics

Are you saying Misty Mountain Hop, Four Sticks, Going to California and When the Levee Breaks are not makeout songs? Those songs sound like a sound track to my high school dating life.

Actually, Led Zeppelin II side one is probably the ultimate make out album side:
Whole Lotta Love
What is and what should never be
The Lemon Song 👍👍
Thank you! 😂
getting back to Zep...Four Sticks is probably their most underrated song...crazy--it's another great one on IV.

Reactions: RC85
As I said in that thread, I love some of it, hate some of it and am neutral on some of it. Having said that, IMO, there's a decent percentage of Yacht Rock that is simply some of the worst music ever made (I don't tend to "hate" as many songs in other genres), which is why so many critics and musical artists have looked down on Yacht Rock. But what I find amusing is bac starting a thread on Yacht Rock, implying it's some sort of "manly" genre ("men get in here and post your favorite YR songs"), lol.

I'd never even heard the term "yacht rock" before seeing that, childishly conceived but whatever, thread. When I saw the thread title, I opened it expecting to find this inside:

NOT SAFE FOR WORK (OR YOUNG CHILDREN)

T-Pain's backing vocals that delicately echo the expletives get me every time.

Awwww, it's so cute seeing your faux outrage in defense of your little brother, whose only contributions to this thread are as immature as my one childish post in response to another one of his.
Not really defending him just wondering why a grown man would go out to search for a "kindergarten" meme to post.

Reactions: bac2therac
What the phuck is yacht rock?
It’s a reference to sophisticated affluent-but-stoned white guy music, such as Steely Dan, Christopher Cross, Michael McDonald. I actually think Taylor Swift may be dipping her sound into the genre in the near future, since she has been exploring the desolate “cottage-core” genre.

I assumed it was tongue-in-cheek. I hope it was tongue-in-cheek.

It’s a reference to sophisticated affluent-but-stoned white guy music, such as Steely Dan, Christopher Cross, Michael McDonald. I actually think Taylor Swift may be dipping her sound into the genre in the near future, since she has been exploring the desolate “cottage-core” genre.

I don't think Steely Dan belongs in the same category as the crap in this thread mentioned as "yacht rock".
Most of Steely Dan's stuff...especially the early albums.....is quality.
Deacon Blues, Reelin' In The Years, My Old School. Doctor Wu, Only A Fool Would Say That, Kid Charlemagne, Haitian Divorce, Pretzel Logic.......all classics.
No Yacht Rock there.

Last edited:
I don't think Steely Dan belongs in the same category as the crap in this thread mentioned as "yacht rock".
Deacon Blues, Reelin' In The Years, My Old School. Doctor Wu, Only A Fool Would Say That, Kid Charlemagne, Haitian Divorce, Pretzel Logic.......all classics.
No Yacht Rock there.
Actually that is all Yacht Rock. You must not listen to the Yacht Rock station on Sirius XM.

FelineColdHarpyeagle-max-1mb.gif

#'s is a Swiftie?!
I'm a semi Beilber so I can't talk. Lol
Beib's was on SNL a year or two ago, and his 2 performances were really interesting.

Other then that can't say I've heard anything I've liked from Beibs, same goes for Swift.

Reactions: Jm0513
Beib's was on SNL a year or two ago, and his 2 performances were really interesting.

Other then that can't say I've heard anything I've liked from Beibs, same goes for Swift.
I'm not really that into JBiebs. I only like 2 or 3 of his songs.
Years ago when my daughter was into him I wanted to poke my ear drums out with bamboo skewers. Music was awful.

No Yacht Rock there.
Actually that is all Yacht Rock. You must not listen to the Yacht Rock station on Sirius XM.
Only A Fool Would Say That.

Only A Fool Would Say That.
You can’t change that fact Steely Dan and those songs are played on the Yacht Rock station. I can tell you must be around 66-72 with those comments. Just like my older siblings.

This may surprise a few folks, but I've always been a Taylor Swift fan, as I've always had a bit of a sweet tooth for good pop and her biting, but heartbreakingly sad 2014 power ballad "All That Well" (supposedly about her short romance with Jake Gyllenhall) is one of my favorites. Well, she just released a 10-minute updated version (it was originally over 10 minutes but cut to 5:28 on the 2014 album Red) and performed it a little while ago on SNL and it blew me away. I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, but maybe take a look and listen and the 2nd link has some background on the song's evolution.

The updated version of her Red album, including the updated song, has already set Spotify records for most streams. Was also funny when Colin Jost opened Weekend Update with the comment, "Well the lesson we all learned this week is never break up with Taylor Swift." right after her performance.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/taylor...saturday-night-live-musical-guest-1234873694/

https://popculture.com/.../snl-taylor-swift-breaks-with.../
Today some on this board celebrate Taylor Swift's birthday. It was trending on Twitter. Could not find a tweet by #'s.

No Yacht Rock there.
You can’t change that fact Steely Dan and those songs are played on the Yacht Rock station. I can tell you must be around 66-72 with those comments. Just like my older siblings.

Well, according to the authority on Yacht Rock, linked below, you're both wrong and right, lol. Generally, the early Steely Dan work from the first 2 albums, including Reelin' In the Years and My Old School, are not considered YR, given that they're earlier and a bit edgier/rockin (in general), while the later albums from Katy Lied (4th album) until the end (which include all the other songs listed, iirc) are generally considered YR, partly because of them being after 1975 and partly due to their generally cooler/jazzier style - and Katy Lied featured Michael McDonald the evil genius of YR, lol. Pretzel Logic (3rd album) has songs that score right on the edge of YR, including Rikki Don't Lose That Number and Any Major Dude Will Tell You. As someone who was a big fan of SD's early albums and not so much the later ones (with exceptions), I tend to agree with the scoring.

https://www.yachtornyacht.com/

My Old School has recently become one of my favorite songs (it's a fluid list) as it's fun to play on guitar. The story behind it is even interesting/funny, especially the Daddy Gee line.

Reactions: Kbee3
You are all busy "branding" yourselves via criticizing... like Millenials... and that is not to suggest you are young at heart.

My Old School has recently become one of my favorite songs (it's a fluid list) as it's fun to play on guitar. The story behind it is even interesting/funny, especially the Daddy Gee line.
The early Steely Dan albums are full of gems like My Old School.
BTW, Jeff Baxter's guitar on that tune is special.

Reactions: 29PAS
Well, according to the authority on Yacht Rock, linked below, you're both wrong and right, lol. Generally, the early Steely Dan work from the first 2 albums, including Reelin' In the Years and My Old School, are not considered YR, given that they're earlier and a bit edgier/rockin (in general), while the later albums from Katy Lied (4th album) until the end (which include all the other songs listed, iirc) are generally considered YR, partly because of them being after 1975 and partly due to their generally cooler/jazzier style - and Katy Lied featured Michael McDonald the evil genius of YR, lol. Pretzel Logic (3rd album) has songs that score right on the edge of YR, including Rikki Don't Lose That Number and Any Major Dude Will Tell You. As someone who was a big fan of SD's early albums and not so much the later ones (with exceptions), I tend to agree with the scoring.

Aja is a pretty damn good album.

Thanks for posting that link. I checked out that sight and there are a lot of songs missing (based on me being forced to listen to that station. Also, I asked my authority (my wife who listens to Yacht Rock whenever it's on) and she said "Reelin in the Years" is on there all the time. 😀

Thanks for posting that link. I checked out that sight and there are a lot of songs missing (based on me being forced to listen to that station. Also, I asked my authority (my wife who listens to Yacht Rock whenever it's on) and she said "Reelin in the Years" is on there all the time. 😀
They may be playing it, but if so, they're going well outside what anyone would say is Yacht Rock. YR is song type and style, not artist. Just because Michael McDonald was in the Doobies starting in 75 doesn't mean they should be playing early 70s Doobies, which is much bluesier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT