ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Godfather Epic - HBO

MadRU

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2001
Enjoy watching The Godfather chronically starting with young Vito, DeNiro continuing to Brando. Shows scenes not in the movies, showed Genco etc.

Plus how good is Duvall.

We've all seen all 3 over a hundred times, lol. 1 & 2 are epically great. 3 ? Not so much.

We all have, this presentation is chronological. Plus deleted scenes. Think I saw it this way once before, will stop watching when they get to part three.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
We all have, this presentation is chronological. Plus deleted scenes. Think I saw it this way once before, will stop watching when they get to part three.

I think it's called The Godfather Saga. Like you say, chronological order and includes additional scenes. It's absolutely the best way to see it. Make a huge pot of spaghetti, get some cannolis for dessert, and make a day of it. Time well spent.

I still think Al Pacino is the better actor than Robert DiNiro, they are both great, and have had great careers.

I met Alex Rocco, years after he played Moe Green, and had some laughs with him. He was shooting a movie in Newark, and my best friend from HS was a producer. Alex was having so much fun, they had to roll him out on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance to take him to UMDNJ for a 'blow' overdose.

I still think Al Pacino is the better actor than Robert DiNiro, they are both great, and have had great careers.

I met Alex Rocco, years after he played Moe Green, and had some laughs with him. He was shooting a movie in Newark, and my best friend from HS was a producer. Alex was having so much fun, they had to roll him out on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance to take him to UMDNJ for a 'blow' overdose.
Sounds like my kind a guy.

Just saw Al Pacino on Broadway in China Doll last night. I will disagree DeNiro to me was better.

It's listed as The Godfather Epic.

Sounds like my kind a guy.

The 70's and 80's were a wild time. I'm still embarassed of the things I did then. Thank God there were no 'Smart phone camera's or internet then'. My son, now 18 (I'm an old dad) is sooo much better behaved now then I ever was then.

Are you going to Sports Nut night at Mayfair Farms Tuesday night ?

Just saw Al Pacino on Broadway in China Doll last night. I will disagree DeNiro to me was better.

It's listed as The Godfather Epic.

My bad. The Godfather Saga is Parts I and II in chronological order with extra scenes. That's the one I've always watched. The Godfather Epic adds Part III, which I've never seen and don't plan to.

DeNiro>>>>>>>>> Pacino **

*except for Scarface and Meet the Faulkers doesn't count.

Am I the only one who thought GFIII wasn't that bad?

We're not taking Wall St 2 bad here guys.

I thought it did a great job of showing what happened to NYC in the 70s, incorporated the corrupt Vatican, etc... Granted the helicopter scene was a bit much....

Last edited:
Reactions: ATIOH
I have not seen all three, but the scene where young Vito arrives in NY Harbor and goes to Ellis Island is an all time cinematic classic. Just brilliant! No film has ever presented the immigrant experience as accurately and emotionally as that scene.

-Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: MozRU
DeNiro>>>>>>>>> Pacino **

*except for Scarface and Meet the Faulkers doesn't count.

It's a close call and could go either way, but I prefer Pacino. DeNiro is better if you like the mostly calm, quiet, brooding type, but Pacino is better if you want to go all-out crazy. DeNiro tended to have Pesci for that. Heat shows the distinction pretty well, with flashes of the best crazy Al Pacino since Scent of a Woman.

Unfortunately, Pacino has had more WTF movie choices in the past 20 years than any other actor I can think of.

Anyone (Source!) have any intel on a Pacino-New Brunswick connection? I can recall my theater teacher Eric Krebs, who has a long history of on/off broadway work including founding the George Street Playhouse, saying he worked with Pacino before he was a star. I seem to remember him saying that they worked together in an NB production, but can't seem to find any info about it online. Pacino definitely worked in on/off broadway theater before movies and it appears he would have been in the same circles as Krebs but not sure he actually worked in NB.

Krebs was kind of full of himself so he might have made the whole thing up, too. Seem to remember him saying something like "I knew Pacino before Pacino knew Pacino" - but maybe that was just something I made up to poke fun at how full of himself he was, lol.

How about Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco as an aging lower level mobster (w Johnny Depp) one of my all time favorite movies, and a terrific performance.

In a different type of movie and performance , and a terrific movies as well with Robin Williams playing the 'bad guy' check out Insomnia, takes place in Alaska or Canada, great story and great scenary. Pacino plays a detective brought in from the States to solve a serial murder.

Al Pacino in The Insider' w Russel Crowe an oldie but goodie. as well as Serpico, Midnight Cowboy (Ratso Rizzo), Dog Day Afternoon, Panic in Needle Park, and Carlito's Way.. ALL fabulous movies.

It's a close call and could go either way, but I prefer Pacino. DeNiro is better if you like the mostly calm, quiet, brooding type, but Pacino is better if you want to go all-out crazy. DeNiro tended to have Pesci for that. Heat shows the distinction pretty well, with flashes of the best crazy Al Pacino since Scent of a Woman.

Unfortunately, Pacino has had more WTF movie choices in the past 20 years than any other actor I can think of.

Anyone (Source!) have any intel on a Pacino-New Brunswick connection? I can recall my theater teacher Eric Krebs, who has a long history of on/off broadway work including founding the George Street Playhouse, saying he worked with Pacino before he was a star. I seem to remember him saying that they worked together in an NB production, but can't seem to find any info about it online. Pacino definitely worked in on/off broadway theater before movies and it appears he would have been in the same circles as Krebs but not sure he actually worked in NB.

Krebs was kind of full of himself so he might have made the whole thing up, too. Seem to remember him saying something like "I knew Pacino before Pacino knew Pacino" - but maybe that was just something I made up to poke fun at how full of himself he was, lol.

III never happened. It's like Rocky V.

II is the best movie in history.

How about Al Pacino in Donnie Brasco as an aging lower level mobster (w Johnny Depp) one of my all time favorite movies, and a terrific performance.

In a different type of movie and performance , and a terrific movies as well with Robin Williams playing the 'bad guy' check out Insomnia, takes place in Alaska or Canada, great story and great scenary. Pacino plays a detective brought in from the States to solve a serial murder.

Al Pacino in The Insider' w Russel Crowe an oldie but goodie. as well as Serpico, Midnight Cowboy (Ratso Rizzo), Dog Day Afternoon, Panic in Needle Park, and Carlito's Way.. ALL fabulous movies.
He was also great in "And Justice For All" and "Sea of Love."

Actually, just finished watching (most of) it. 7:31 long - not first time I've seen it that way

I loved the originals - and it was interesting to watch chronologically

but, I had forgotten - that it's not just the original films, but a bunch of additional clips, scenes they also added-in - and many of them had to be dubbed with really bad voice-overs. The new lines/scenes don't add anything to the film....

From now on, i'm sticking to the original I II

Actually, just finished watching (most of) it. 7:31 long - not first time I've seen it that way

I loved the originals - and it was interesting to watch chronologically

but, I had forgotten - that it's not just the original films, but a bunch of additional clips, scenes they also added-in - and many of them had to be dubbed with really bad voice-overs. The new lines/scenes don't add anything to the film....

From now on, i'm sticking to the original I II

Part 1 and 2 were excellent. Growing up it was a big deal in my house when it was on broadcast tv and I think it was shown over two nights.

Part 3 was actually decent. Winona Ryder was supposed to have played the daughter but she got sick or something. Coppolas daughter was bad. I had fun going to Little Italy and watched the filming of the scene when Johnny ZAZA (SP)was killed by Andy Garcia on the horse.

Reactions: greenpeach
Part 1 and 2 were excellent. Growing up it was a big deal in my house when it was on broadcast tv and I think it was shown over two nights.

Winona Ryder bailed at the last minute because she was "exhausted" after having just completed filming on "Mermaids".

Part 3 was actually decent. Winona Ryder was supposed to have played the daughter but she got sick or something. Coppolas daughter was bad. I had fun going to Little Italy and watched the filming of the scene when Johnny ZAZA (SP)was killed by Andy Garcia on the horse.

The DeNiro/Pacino call is tough, but the scenes with DeNiro in Little Italy are just amazing - great film making in all aspects. Young Tessio, Clemenza, Fanucci just great. G3 was OK but Andy Garcia and Coppola's daughter just don't compare to Duvall, Caan, Luca, etc.

BTW, that great scene where Caan breaks the guys camera at the wedding and throws some cash at him was ad-libbed by Caan.

Agree. It's a decent movie, but the first two set the bar which #3 could never clear. I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels. Sofia Coppola and jar jar binks were obviously terrible. But while Godfather III and the prequels were disappointing, I don't think they deserve the amount of hate they get.
Sofia Coppola and Jar Jar Binks? I just spit out my coffee. That could be the analogy of the year!

Most of the deleted scenes added nothing and were deleted for good reason. Fanucci is strangled by a couple of kids and left for dead, while Vito watches? I can see some explanations, but the scene is confusing at best. Vito goes on a killing spree, let's meet the old consigliere, Woltz is a pedophile, communists..... Meh.
I differ here. I think the killing spree shows a depth to the character and how much he really should be feared. In the original, Vito eliminates Fanucci as a rival and then goes after Don Cicci. The killing of the henchmen really shows just how ruthless he is capable of being. Which when compared to him later in life holding back after Sonny's death, shows the change in the man. Also, the scene with Woltz, turns him from petty a-hole into a monster.

I differ here. I think the killing spree shows a depth to the character and how much he really should be feared. In the original, Vito eliminates Fanucci as a rival and then goes after Don Cicci. The killing of the henchmen really shows just how ruthless he is capable of being. Which when compared to him later in life holding back after Sonny's death, shows the change in the man. Also, the scene with Woltz, turns him from petty a-hole into a monster.
The Woltz scene specifically was in Puzo's novel, not sure about the killing spree. There was quite a bit the original movies left out from the book...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT