ADVERTISEMENT

OT: U of Tennesse punishment for “hundreds of violations” over 3 years

tico brown

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 16, 2005
  • Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
Penalties sound about as tough as they are now allowed to apply. However, in the age of NIL scholarship reductions are really meaningless because a player can get a great nil deal and come to the school as a walk on. Tricky Rickie is doing this big time at St. John’s. If this happened at RU the papers would be calling for the end of the athletic dept. maybe it is a good thing that the press here is as anti RU as they are, it does make it hard to do this sort of thing without it being discovered. On the whole I don’t think Tenn will suffer much. Ironic, this is the school that wouldn’t hire Schiano because of his connection to the PSU scandal. Then they go and hire a big time cheater.

this is the school that wouldn’t hire Schiano because of his connection to the PSU scandal. Then they go and hire a big time cheater.
Exactly. I would have liked to see a one year bowl ban as well. I mean, there were hundreds of violations! These weren’t careless oversights, this was the result of an intentional scheme to violate the rules and provide a distinct recruiting advantage. While you don’t want to punish current students, they did benefit from the recruiting practices, at least the ones that went before them. You need to create some kind of deterrent or schools will keep violating the rules like this. I suggest a one year bowl ban that takes effect four years in the future. That won’t affect current players right? That could deter recruits, which makes the punishment fit the crime.

Last edited:
Exactly. I would have liked to see a one year bowl ban as well. I mean, there were hundreds of violations! These weren’t careless oversights, this was the result of an intentional scheme to violate the rules and provide a distinct recruiting advantage. While you don’t want to punish current students, they did benefit from the recruiting practices, at least the ones that went before them. You need to create some kind of deterrent or schools will keep violating the rules like this. I suggest a one year bowl ban that takes effect four years in the future. That won’t affect current players right? That could deter recruits, which makes the punishment fit the crime.
Greg must be like:

LR7R4LIRA5ESXNJI6VHFPXSQ6M.jpg

While the penalties should be harsher, the NCAA finally showed some balls for once?

Pruitt will go to the pros and make his living there.
Tennessee boosters will pay he $8 mil and invest in NIL payouts to players recruits and portal targets making sure this bump in the road ( loss of 12 scholarships over the next 3 years) doesn't hurt football .
Tennessee self imposed 16 lost the last 2 years, so 12 is really what the NCAA is taking away
Without a bowl ban, Tennessee is not going to be harmed as much as some not looking at the who;e picture will be thinking

Pruitt will go to the pros and make his living there.
Tennessee boosters will pay he &8 mil and invest in NIL payouts to players recruits and portal targets making sure this bump in the road ( loss of 12 scholarships over the next 3 years) doesn't hurt football .
Tennesse self imposed 16 lost the last 2 years, so 12 is really what the NCAA is taking away
Without a bowl ban, Tennessee is not going to be harmed as much as some not looking at the who;e picture will be thinking
Bingo. SEC continues to be a Charade in discipline .
Southern
Endorsed
Crimes

Reactions: RU848789
Yup, just like I thought, it pays to cheat. We wonder why kids are so fvcked up today and have no morals, when the adults in charge have even less.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Tennessee will be just fine. They’ll continue to compete with Alabama & Georgia for SEC supremacy. They’d beat Rutgers by 5 TDs two years from now after these terrible penalties have taken effect..lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUforlife
Geeze.. so weak.. don't punish the current players? Then can transfer freely. They would all find homes and if they can't they should all be guaranteed schollies by the Vols as part of the penalty.

I'd imagine all the current players were attracted to the illegal recruiting tactics of TN... so why not "punish" them?

Show some guts.. if it causes schools to move away from the NCAA.. so be it.. then use that to talk to Congress about establishing a mandated for universities to follow NCAA guidance and regulations.

I suspect this is really all about NCAA executives getting benefits from schools, conferences, bowl committees etc. The old boys' network in action.

Show some guts.. if it causes schools to move away from the NCAA.. so be it.. then use that to talk to Congress about establishing a mandated for universities to follow NCAA guidance and regulations.

I suspect this is really all about NCAA executives getting benefits from schools, conferences, bowl committees etc. The old boys' network in action.

Wait.

Someone has to mandate that a school, who made up a bunch of pretend rules and then sometimes doesn’t feel like following the pretend rules (again that they…made up), needs to actually follow the pretend rules upon penalty of…what? Being called a poopyhead?

You “suspect” that NCAA “executives” get benefits from the schools? Really? Take a guess at who pays the salaries for all those “executives”. Who hires them? Who fires them? Who tells them what do…at all times? Who keeps lights on and pays the rent in their nice little offices? And “executives” is a stretch. That would imply someone with actual power. They are scapegoats and lackeys for their masters, the guys that hold the money bags.

Schools to move AWAY from the NCAA? Where are the gonna move to? The schools ARE the NCAA. Wherever they go…there they are…

Last edited:
The SEC. If you ain't cheatin', you ain't competin'. In light of the college football environment's current evolution, this has a speeding tickets at the Daytona 500 kind of vibe.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: runrutgersrun
Geeze.. so weak.. don't punish the current players? Then can transfer freely. They would all find homes and if they can't they should all be guaranteed schollies by the Vols as part of the penalty.

I'd imagine all the current players were attracted to the illegal recruiting tactics of TN... so why not "punish" them?

Several states have already passed NIL laws that contradict NCAA rules regarding player compensation. We're looking at several court battles in the future.

Several states have already passed NIL laws that contradict NCAA rules regarding player compensation. We're looking at several court battles in the future.
Good…the quicker big time football can dislodge itself from the eunuch-like NCAA, the better…this whole NIL mess is their fault and now the genie can’t be rebottled.

Eff off NCAA…

When the NCAA caved to Penn State's complaints about the sactions imposed on them and negotiated a lesser penalty then the one originaly imposed , they opened the door to programs like Tennessee's ability to make the NCAA keep the sanctions placed on them as harsh as the violation deserves.

Good…the quicker big time football can dislodge itself from the eunuch-like NCAA, the better…this whole NIL mess is their fault and now the genie can’t be rebottled.

Eff off NCAA…
Umm….NCAA = big time football. Who do you think is running things here? East Bubbleshit State OR USC, OSU, Alabama, etc., etc.?

A travesty that there weren't more serious penalties. Just one more reason why I'm less interested in college sports.
Not sure it’s a travesty. More just human nature. Does anyone voluntarily put points on their license and pay a fine every time they go 1 mile over the speed limit? It don’t happen. And those are ACTUAL rules we all need to live with, not some phony baloney ones that a group of powerful schools dreamed out of nothing (and have about as much meaning).

I agree with the waning interest. I’m still there most games in the same season tix I’ve had for years. But, getting harder and harder to keep up my personal self delusion. Just can’t unsee the true nature of this, once you have seen it.

However, in the age of NIL scholarship reductions are really meaningless because a player can get a great nil deal and come to the school as a walk on. Tricky Rickie is doing this big time at St. John’s.

So you’re saying St. John’s is getting around the scholarship limits by paying kids to walk on effectively increasing the number of free rides he can offer?

Interesting especially from a Title IX perspective.

Not sure it’s a travesty. More just human nature. Does anyone voluntarily put points on their license and pay a fine every time they go 1 mile over the speed limit? It don’t happen. And those are ACTUAL rules we all need to live with, not some phony baloney ones that a group of powerful schools dreamed out of nothing (and have about as much meaning).

I agree with the waning interest. I’m still there most games in the same season tix I’ve had for years. But, getting harder and harder to keep up my personal self delusion. Just can’t unsee the true nature of this, once you have seen it.
It’s a bad analogy, because while people don’t voluntarily punish themselves for speeding, if they get caught by the ruling authorities for speeding there are actual penalties.

The authorities don’t penalize you for speeding by forcing you to admit that your road trip in 2019 should have taken 41 minutes longer than it actually did, which is the equivalent to the vacating of past wins.

Any punishment that can be completely negated by a big enough donor check is not a real punishment.

It’s a bad analogy, because while people don’t voluntarily punish themselves for speeding, if they get caught by the ruling authorities for speeding there are actual penalties.

The authorities don’t penalize you for speeding by forcing you to admit that your road trip in 2019 should have taken 41 minutes longer than it actually did, which is the equivalent to the vacating of past wins.

Any punishment that can be completely negated by a big enough donor check is not a real punishment.
Exactly why I said at least speeding laws are real actual laws/rules (with consequences).

But that wasn’t really the point. Bottom line, given human nature, self regulation doesn’t work. That’s the point.

NCAA is fearful of being sued if post season bans are part of a programs punishment, how long before a coach scares them with a lawsuit over being given a show cause order restriction on being hired

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT