ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Update Bob Huggins to Receive $1M Salary Reduction and Sensitivity Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god he used a bad bad hateful word!!

Peoples feelings are so so hurt because of his ignorance. What an old ignorant basketball coach says about gays really should make everybody upset. Not sure how I will get by this. Not sure how anybody else will get by this.

We have to cancel John Denver Country Roads and possibly the Civil War as well.

Somebody give me a heads up where we are protesting. I will gather up the jobless dyed hair fat ugly "women" to join us.
Did you just raise your hand to say you’re a piece of shit?

Reactions: RU_SAM and Ru7580
Did you just raise your hand to say you’re a piece of shit?
Did I!? He's an old ignorant man who's probably clueless. And should be suspended. But fired is ridiculous. He will be fired, but it's ridiculous.

Peoples feelings are so so hurt because of his ignorance. What an old ignorant basketball coach says about gays really should make everybody upset. Not sure how I will get by this. Not sure how anybody else will get by this.

I have a lot of this in me. As a matter of fact, when I was a kid, we insulted each other with that particular "F" word without even knowing what it meant in pop culture. Probably many of you geezers are in the same boat.

But I do think that in this context, it's not acceptable, in the same way that the "N" word is unacceptable. Maybe he meant it they way the alarmists say he did, and maybe he didn't, but I think it's out of bounds to use that word in a radio interview.

Like you, I find it annoying that so many people with an internet stage make a career of grabbing low-hanging fruit like this, and are adored for it. But in this case, I think they are correct...

Did I!? He's an old ignorant man who's probably clueless. And should be suspended. But fired is ridiculous. He will be fired, but it's ridiculous.
I think so. You could have made the above point without some stupid culture war stuff.

Reactions: Ru7580
I have a lot of this in me. As a matter of fact, when I was a kid, we insulted each other with that particular "F" word without even knowing what it meant in pop culture. Probably many of you geezers are in the same boat.

But I do think that in this context, it's not acceptable, in the same way that the "N" word is unacceptable. Maybe he meant it they way the alarmists say he did, and maybe he didn't, but I think it's out of bounds to use that word in a radio interview.

Like you, I find it annoying that so many people with an internet stage make a career of grabbing low-hanging fruit like this, and are adored for it. But in this case, I think they are correct...
I think that’s kind of the point. Many of us probably did use those words, without knowing their impact/meaning, when we were young. But then most of us grew up. And learned that they’re hateful and probably shouldn’t be said. Huggins says them so casually and flippantly that it’s clear he didn’t learn that… which is particularly dumb for a public figure, no less one that works at a university.

It's 100% out of bounds and moronic to use In a radio interview, of course. But "fire him! He made a mistake! He said a bad word!" is a ****ing joke these days. ****ing pussies.
If you made such public comments at your job would you get suspended or fired?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
If you made such public comments at your job would you get suspended or fired?
Good question. what context? Like somebody heard me say it outside of the office, and reported it? Nothing would happen.
But I'm not a public figure so it's too different.

Good question. what context? Like somebody heard me say it outside of the office, and reported it? Nothing would happen.
But I'm not a public figure so it's too different.
In the office. Huggins was doing an interview as HC of his team so that's in the office.

Did you just say you didn’t take his use of the word f** as a gay slur? Lol what?
Listen, I didn't read this as closely as I should have. I thought he was directing his comments at the students in genera;, not the gay community. I shouldn't have commented. I don't care enough about Huggins or what he says to get in a debate about this.

In the office. Huggins was doing an interview as HC of his team so that's in the office.
I agree with that. My office (private company) is pretty loose but a complaint to HR with that word overheard (not calling somebody that to their face) wouldn't get you fired for sure, but definitely some kind of warning.

Listen, I didn't read this as closely as I should have. I thought he was directing his comments at the students in genera;, not the gay community. I shouldn't have commented. I don't care enough about Huggins or what he says to get in a debate about this.
Right. He's not an elected official making public policy. He's just a basketball coach after all

What do you work in construction? In any large corporate environment you’d be shown the door quickly.
Even potentially in construction (perhaps moreso in the office vs. out on jobsite) it's a potential no no, because construction can be a "large corporate environment" too, especially those in professional roles, executives, etc.

It doesn't matter who you direct it to. It's a slur no matter what. What, are we going to excuse someone for saying the N word if they say it to their white friends? What if Huggy said "those Catholic n*****s" instead of "f**gs," but only at the white students?

It doesn't matter who you direct it to. It's a slur no matter what. What, are we going to excuse someone for saying the N word if they say it to their white friends? What if Huggy said "those Catholic n*****s" instead of "f**gs," but only at the white students?

Got it. And I still don't care about Huggins and I shouldn't have commented. I will refrain from doing so in the future. Interesting to see so many long-time posters weighing in on this topic today.

this is not a cancel culture situation. If it was something he said 30 years ago in an off the record conversation that somebody leaked then it would be an example of “cancel culture”. This is not that ….

He should be fired

One data point does not make a point, does it? Would be an interesting survey to take all of the P5 hoops and football coaches and vote them as good role models or poor role models.

To be clear, I don't think Huggins should be fired. What he said was offensive to Catholics and gay and transgender people. But it seemed to be an off the cuff remark and he was trying to hard to be funny. He owned it right away and apologized. The cancel culture has to stop. He apologized. He can make good. He has not been a saint, but as you said, he is a basketball coach, not a spiritual leader.

This sums it up, but he will likely be canceled.

Totally agree.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Somebody give me a heads up where we are protesting. I will gather up the jobless dyed hair fat ugly "women" to join us.
Yup - what happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me?
My Mom's go to when one of us kids whined about so and so calling us a name or whatever

What do you work in construction? In any large corporate environment you’d be shown the door quickly.
In a large, corporate environment, how would anyone ever find out?
unless you're acting as a spokesperson for your company?
Huggins should have had a dislaimer before he spoke - anything I say are my views and mine alone and not part of WVU.

In a large, corporate environment, how would anyone ever find out?
unless you're acting as a spokesperson for your company?
Huggins should have had a dislaimer before he spoke - anything I say are my views and mine alone and not part of WVU.

If we're comparing this to the Huggins situation, this would be someone acting as a representative of the corporation during a public interview.

If we're comparing this to the Huggins situation, this would be someone acting as a representative of the corporation during a public interview.
That's not the context of what I was replying to. Maybe we're talking about different things. What I was replying to:

RUBlackout7

Good question. what context? Like somebody heard me say it outside of the office, and reported it? Nothing would happen.​

But I'm not a public figure so it's too different.​

Toby83​

I think a slap on the wrist and a stern reprimand is appropriate here. Huggy must also apologize publicly and promise never to speak that way in public again. May even add a short suspension and mandatory sensitivity training as well to show that the WVU community takes this situation very seriously.

Keep in mind that he wasn’t denigrating Catholics or gays, just a select group of Xavier fans who were throwing rubber penises on the floor during a live game.

I think a slap on the wrist and a stern reprimand is appropriate here. Huggy must also apologize publicly and promise never to speak that way in public again. May even add a short suspension and mandatory sensitivity training as well to show that the WVU community takes this situation very seriously.

Keep in mind that he wasn’t denigrating Catholics or gays, just a select group of Xavier fans who were throwing rubber penises on the floor during a live game.
Well put. People that like to be outraged won't accept that last part.
Maybe being about Catholics helps him too, if it had been Muslims he'd already be gone.

Reactions: Plum Street

But the fact of the matter is he did so in a manner that did in fact denigrate those groups. Despite it not being his intention, it was certainly the outcome.

Last edited:
Yup - what happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me?
My Mom's go to when one of us kids whined about so and so calling us a name or whatever
What happened to it is that people realized it isn’t at all true. Word’s definitely have an impact, despite a catchy rhyme suggesting the opposite. Keep in mind I probably said this phrase a thousand times growing up. Still didn’t actually make it true — it was a defense mechanism.

We also used to think cigarettes weren’t harmful to your health and that casually (and infrequently) drinking while pregnant would have a significant negative effect on your kid’s intelligence. But we took in some new info, learned from it, and grew accordingly.

some people on this thread need to take their FOX News approved heart medication and stop freaking out over the “cancel culture” boogeyman. at some point people simply need to be accountable for their actions, a university is well within their rights to fire a leader of young men for using this language in an interview - not setting a good example

What happened to it is that people realized it isn’t at all true. Word’s definitely have an impact, despite a catchy rhyme suggesting the opposite. Keep in mind I probably said this phrase a thousand times growing up. Still didn’t actually make it true — it was a defense mechanism.
Yup and now kids don't learn defense mechanisms.
We've gone too far.

He is a representative of the university, who in a public setting said derogatory and insensitive things. I don’t know famous WV alum that well, but he may be the face of the university. I will be stunned if he is not terminated or forced to retire.

If the Catholic Church can survive a global institution of child rape and the coverup that followed, Huggy should be ok. Give the standard public apology and all will be forgotten in a few days. The public has a very short attention span. The next topic of outrage is just around the corner.

We also used to think cigarettes weren’t harmful to your health and that casually (and infrequently) drinking while pregnant would have a significant negative effect on your kid’s intelligence. But we took in some new info, learned from it, and grew accordingly.
not easy to find those candy darts for your kids anymore

Reactions: MiloTalon13
If the Catholic Church can survive a global institution of child rape and the coverup that followed, Huggy should be ok. Give the standard public apology and all will be forgotten in a few days. The public has a very short attention span. The next topic of outrage is just around the corner.
Jesus couldn't have said it better

some people on this thread need to take their FOX News approved heart medication and stop freaking out over the “cancel culture” boogeyman. at some point people simply need to be accountable for their actions, a university is well within their rights to fire a leader of young men for using this language in an interview - not setting a good example
And some people need to stop making everything political.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Lol at anyone trying to defend him.

This wasn’t a slip up. He knew exactly what he was saying and those words would get you fired from probably 99% of Corporate jobs it was recorded. Why shouldn’t he be fired from a state job?

If anything he should be fired for being so f’king dumb thinking he could speak like that in a recorded interview.

Only thing that he has going for him is he’s the coach at WVU and over half of that inbred state is probably rallying behind his comments.

Lol at anyone trying to defend him.

This wasn’t a slip up. He knew exactly what he was saying and those words would get you fired from probably 99% of Corporate jobs it was recorded. Why shouldn’t he be fired from a state job?

If anything he should be fired for being so f’king dumb thinking he could speak like that in a recorded interview.

Only thing that he has going for him is he’s the coach at WVU and over half of that inbred state is probably rallying behind his comments.
So it's okay for you - and others here on this board - to continually put down the State of West Virginia as such? Just confirming the level of hypocrisy here. Thanks.

Outside of your typical fake outrage. I don't think anyone really cares what he said. As if you all don't say stupid things.
The difference is most, if not all of us, are not public figures saying stupid things on a radio show.

At least we can agree that what he did was stupid, and there are consequences for stupidity.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT