ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Update Bob Huggins to Receive $1M Salary Reduction and Sensitivity Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Catholic Church can survive a global institution of child rape and the coverup that followed, Huggy should be ok. Give the standard public apology and all will be forgotten in a few days. The public has a very short attention span. The next topic of outrage is just around the corner.

some people on this thread need to take their FOX News approved heart medication and stop freaking out over the “cancel culture” boogeyman. at some point people simply need to be accountable for their actions, a university is well within their rights to fire a leader of young men for using this language in an interview - not setting a good example
Stop with the political baiting. And WTAF are you talking about with heart medication. I have gay and transgender family members who abhor the cancel culture and FOX News. How's that for irony. Accountable for what? Making an off color remark and then apologizing for it? Do you believe in forgiveness when someone shows remorse? If not, criminals should rot in prison forever.

So it's okay for you - and others here on this board - to continually put down the State of West Virginia as such? Just confirming the level of hypocrisy here. Thanks.

C’mon NUTS - you’ve never put down the state of West Virginia?…

If the Catholic Church can survive a global institution of child rape and the coverup that followed, Huggy should be ok. Give the standard public apology and all will be forgotten in a few days. The public has a very short attention span. The next topic of outrage is just around the corner.
The Catholic Church has nothing on this compared to the public schools.

The difference is most, if not all of us, are not public figures saying stupid things on a radio show.

At least we can agree that what he did was stupid, and there are consequences for stupidity.
I agree, it was stupid and he should have known better.

The magnitude of it due to our whacky world at present is what I think is crazy.

I agree, it was stupid and he should have known better.

The magnitude of it due to our whacky world at present is what I think is crazy.
I think you're confusing the "magnitude" with your access to said criticism/reaction. He made some pretty indefensible comments. People are responding in kind. Accountability, these days, is just played out in the public eye due to social media, etc.

You're making a "kids these days!" argument.

I think you're confusing the "magnitude" with your access to said criticism/reaction. He made some pretty indefensible comments. People are responding in kind. Accountability, these days, is just played out in the public eye due to social media, etc.

You're making a "kids these days!" argument.
No, I mean the difference between getting fired and getting a stern talking to.
Firing is an extreme overreaction due to our current culture for an offense that should be punished with a scolding by the boss.

Reactions: RUER
No, I mean the difference between getting fired and getting a stern talking to.
Firing is an extreme overreaction due to our current culture for an offense that should be punished with a scolding by the boss.
Well it may make sense to withhold your argument until he actually gets fired then...

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Well it may make sense to withhold your argument until he actually gets fired then...
"people are responding in kind"
The reponse has not been in kind.
In kind would be for the people he mentioned to say "I don't care what that fat, sweaty, ugly, crappy coach has to say". "He can go..." and then insult West Virginia, coal miners or oxy addicts, easy targets, impune his integrity and imply he cheats on his wife.

That would be fun.

"people are responding in kind"
The reponse has not been in kind.
In kind would be for the people he mentioned to say "I don't care what that fat, sweaty, ugly, crappy coach has to say". "He can go..." and then insult West Virginia, coal miners or oxy addicts, easy targets, impune his integrity and imply he cheats on his wife.

That would be fun.
Okay Mr. Semantics. If I just go back and edit my post to say, "...responding accordingly," will you just delete your latest post and we can avoid any further back-and-forth?

Huggins has heard the punishment he's going to be given and he said he won't be sitting on it
images

Okay Mr. Semantics. If I just go back and edit my post to say, "...responding accordingly," will you just delete your latest post and we can avoid any further back-and-forth?
Words mean things specific things. If you used words that don't mean what you intended for them to mean, that's fine but going back and changing words to mean what you intended them to mean because you don't like someone pointing out that the words meant didn't reflect what was happening, then what's the point?

C’mon NUTS - you’ve never put down the state of West Virginia?…
no one ever stuck up for the State of West Virginia on this board before our country became completely and stridently divided along political lines. Right or wrong, making fun of West Virginia was the one thing that all Rutgers fans could agree on once upon a time.

Huggins may get a pass and he might deserve one too, but he should know better than making a joke like that. Why would he put himself in this position? He's a damn smart dude and HOF coach. Pikiell would have already filed for unemployment if he made a joke like that as the RU hoops coach.

no one ever stuck up for the State of West Virginia on this board before our country became completely and stridently divided along political lines. Right or wrong, making fun of West Virginia was the one thing that all Rutgers fans could agree on once upon a time.

Guidos (RU) vs (WV) Hillbillies​

That was fun and no harm meant by either side.

If I was being interviewed in the capacity of my job and said those things over the airwaves I’d have already been fired. But I don’t work for WVU. It’s their call and none of my business what they do.

Yup. Very ironic to denounce this behavior while repeating ugly, bigoted generalizations about residents of an entire state in the same paragraph...
S. Janowski, I would like to apologize for making a big deal out of nothing. I guess I have a personal stake in ragging on West Virginia, but it's all good and you were just making a point.

You're one of my favorite posters!

S. Janowski, I would like to apologize for making a big deal out of nothing. I guess I have a personal stake in ragging on West Virginia, but it's all good and you were just making a point.

Janowski is a well known bigot against the good citizens of West Virginia.

• Haha
Reactions: S_Janowski

No worries.

I think Huggins deserves to be fired not what what he actually said….but for being stupid enough think he could say that in the year 2023.

My comment about WVU was a joke and I’m also not stupid enough to say something like that if I held a public job ;)

He shouldn’t have said it. In many workplaces he would be fired. As coach of college basketball, this won’t get him fired. If he was fired , he would have maybe even a better job in 2024-2025.

Bob Huggins is a West Virginia-born winner coaching at a school with a long winning tradition. Nobody in West Virginia cares about Bob's character.

In basketball, West Virginia leads Rutgers in the head-to-head series 45-24. WVU won the last eight games.

In football, WVU leads the series 33-4-2, including winning the past 17 straight.

New Jersey has 5x West Virginia's population and household income 75% higher, but Rutgers can't beat WVU on the field or on the court.

Outside of your typical fake outrage. I don't think anyone really cares what he said. As if you all don't say stupid things.
This woke horseshit gotta stop. You cant say or do anything today w/o offending anyone & everyone.

This woke horseshit gotta stop. You cant say or do anything today w/o offending anyone & everyone.
I agree that wokeness is often tiresome, but your second sentence is evidence of the pendulum swinging too far in the other direction. It should not be difficult for Bob Huggins to NOT insult Catholics and gays in the same sentence. Most of us are capable of managing that small feat every day.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I agree that wokeness is often tiresome, but your second sentence is evidence of the pendulum swinging too far in the other direction. It should not be difficult for Bob Huggins to NOT insult Catholics and gays in the same sentence. Most of us are capable of managing that small feat every day.
Who cares. Seriously. I am Catholic. DGAS. It's words. Literally no one cares about stuff like this outside of when people are using a keyboard pretending to be outraged.

Seems reasonable. Love how they use the most ugly picture they could find of the coach.

Knightmoves nails it again. The $1M fine is a bit of overkill imo but the good news for the fine citizens of West Virginia is that they will have Huggy on the sidelines for the foreseeable future at WVU.

Per my previous post in this thread:

“I think a slap on the wrist and a stern reprimand is appropriate here. Huggy must also apologize publicly and promise never to speak that way in public again. May even add a short suspension and mandatory sensitivity training as well to show that the WVU community takes this situation very seriously.

Keep in mind that he wasn’t denigrating Catholics or gays, just a select group of Xavier fans who were throwing rubber penises on the floor during a live game.”

Seems reasonable. Love how they use the most ugly picture they could find of the coach.

Can't condemn or praise this move.
Sometimes it's best to move on from what happened and accept the person knows they made a huge mistake and are truly sorry for what they said.

I don't know what type of person Huggins is, so I won't be among the people that are hollering fire the scumbag .
Heck some calling for the firing might have made statements about people that were derogatory either as a joke or just using the type of language they grew up hearing but is unacceptable now

Who cares. Seriously. I am Catholic. DGAS. It's words. Literally no one cares about stuff like this outside of when people are using a keyboard pretending to be outraged.
I am catholic also and DGAS he said this, though I am also no blind to the fact that what he said has and should have real consequences. so I am fine with them throwing the book at him (though they likely wont)

that said, if this were Rutgers...our entire university would have been taken through the meatgrinder. For sure the HC, the AD and the Pres would all be fired by now.

NJAM would be on their 4th consecutive emergency podcast insisting Rutgers should shut down sports

and somewhere, fkng Mike Brey would be saying "I told you they should have shut them down"

Reactions: Knight Shift
I am catholic also and DGAS he said this, though I am also no blind to the fact that what he said has and should have real consequences. so I am fine with them throwing the book at him (though they likely wont)

that said, if this were Rutgers...our entire university would have been taken through the meatgrinder. For sure the HC, the AD and the Pres would all be fired by now.

NJAM would be on their 4th consecutive emergency podcast insisting Rutgers should shut down sports

and somewhere, fkng Mike Brey would be saying "I told you they should have shut them down"
Location location location
Rutgers has historical had the local media attack it whenever possible and being in a major media market have bad press picked up more often than Morgantown area media is followed by national outlets.
Also WV knows the local press is not going to go after it in incidents like this .
The RU Administration runs scared because they know the local media will sic their attack dogs on it any and every time a problem arises
So the way other prograns handle transgressions is far different than the way RU does because of the relationship the press has with them.

Most programs have a friendly relationship with the local media and what the national media picks up from them is usually a non attack.
With the local media reports about RU hat's picked up nationally is not usually complementary towards Rutgers and more than likly spreading what the local media's attack dogs write

Last edited:
what disturbs me the most is not one person is talking about how he was actually attacking Catholics. They are just upset that he attacked Catholics with a word they deem offensive. If he said "Catholic douce bags" or Catholic pedophiles" everyone would have been laughing with him....

He should be fired for attacking an entire religion and using an inappropriate word. It is 2023, you can say that word.

Reactions: Rutgers25
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT