ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Wasps

Joey Bags

All Conference
Sep 21, 2019
Never seen this many wasps this early in the season before, probably a byproduct of the non-existent winter. I mean it's only April 4th and we're being mobbed.

Anyone else seeing the same? It's a PITA because you can't really pre-treat for them. Sucks to be allergic to these f***ers.

Reactions: SBP
I think the females are emerging & looking to start a colony this time of year.

No wasps in Lakewood.
Drums Eye Roll GIF

Never seen this many wasps this early in the season before, probably a byproduct of the non-existent winter. I mean it's only April 4th and we're being mobbed.

Anyone else seeing the same? It's a PITA because you can't really pre-treat for them. Sucks to be allergic to these f***ers.
Wife got stung by some ground hornets last spring and had a serious reaction. Like collapse bad. We had to get and carry the shot.. which I saw they are going to make available non-script soon. ? That's good.
Wasps I can see and deal with . Hornets hiding are the worst.

Wife got stung by some ground hornets last spring and had a serious reaction. Like collapse bad. We had to get and carry the shot.. which I saw they are going to make available non-script soon. ? That's good.
Wasps I can see and deal with . Hornets hiding are the worst.
I had something like that in my front yard last summer. I don't want to kill bees, so I avoided it and let them bee (mowing the lawn was interesting). But I decided that I will drive them out this year if they return...

I had something like that in my front yard last summer. I don't want to kill bees, so I avoided it and let them bee (mowing the lawn was interesting). But I decided that I will drive them out this year if they return...
I could be wrong but I don't believe any ground hornets are productive for pollination.
Usually you can see the ones buzzing your flowers with bags of collected pollen on their legs.
Don't know how old you are but as kids ..we used to poor gas in the holes and light their asses on fire.. good show.
Mean bastards. Last year I emptied a whole can on them via three different applications. Over a month.
Unlike my wife I am damn immune to their venom.

I could be wrong but I don't believe any ground hornets are productive for pollination.
Usually you can see the ones buzzing your flowers with bags of collected pollen on their legs.
Don't know how old you are but as kids ..we used to poor gas in the holes and light their asses on fire.. good show.
Mean bastards. Last year I emptied a whole can on them via three different applications. Over a month.
Unlike my wife I am damn immune to their venom.

"Ground hornets"?

Bald-faced Hornets (NJ's native species) build those giant, basketball-sized nests on tree branches. They don't nest in the ground.

Yellow Jackets build nests in the ground, although around here you also see them building nests on structure.

Both are considered "minor pollinators", as they will seek to feed on nectar.

Reactions: RUforester72
"Ground hornets"?

Bald-faced Hornets (NJ's native species) build those giant, basketball-sized nests on tree branches. They don't nest in the ground.

Yellow Jackets build nests in the ground, although around here you also see them building nests on structure.

busting my balls. Hornets or jackets coming out of the ground are the same damn thing for anyone coming across them
You and Rutgers1984 must be best friends.

Appreciate your insights but why not just say.. " those aren't ground hornets..." And go from there?

"Ground hornets"?

I’m no expert, but whatever was living in my front yard weren’t yellow-jackets.

I don’t know what they were. They seemed hornety so I thought it was what Dennis saw. They stung the crap out of me the first time. Now that I think about it, I think I posted here to ask about it last summer.

busting my balls. Hornets or jackets coming out of the ground are the same damn thing for anyone coming across them
You and Rutgers1984 must be best friends.

Appreciate your insights but why not just say.. " those aren't ground hornets..." And go from there?

Sorry to disagree, but Bald-faced Hornets and Yellow Jackets are very much NOT the same thing. Hornets are about 4x the size of Yellow Jackets and their venom is hard core. Get stung by both and you'd see the difference immediately.

Sorry to disagree, but Bald-faced Hornets and Yellow Jackets are very much NOT the same thing. Hornets are about 4x the size of Yellow Jackets and their venom is hard core. Get stung by both and you'd see the difference immediately.
I'm damn sure working on my house and in my yard over the past 50 years I have but that wasn't my original point.
My mom worked at Cook Dept. Of Entomology (Headlee Research Lab) for 30+ years (me for a couple) so I respect the educational aspect of your post.

I'm damn sure working on my house and in my yard over the past 50 years I have but that wasn't my original point.
My mom worked at Cook Dept. Of Entomology (Headlee Research Lab) for 30+ years (me for a couple) so I respect the educational aspect of your post.
Scaled comparison:
92-hornets-wasps-and-bees-oh-my-01.jpg

mine must have been the Loch Ness Bee…

There's another ground dweller we see sometimes in New Jersey. It's called the Cicada Killer Wasp. They're solitary and live in burrows. They're also enormous - like 2-3" long. They mate, then the females lay a single egg in their burrow then go off to find and kill a cicada, which they carry off to the nest to serve as food for the single offspring.

They're also extremely defensive - they guard their nests and if you get too close, they'll chase you. The sight of that alone is terrifying. The bonus to all this is that they almost never sting humans, which is just as well since their stinger is roughly the size of a brass finishing nail.
licensed-image

Scaled comparison:
92-hornets-wasps-and-bees-oh-my-01.jpg
Sir, thank you for that but as my wife is a Master Gardener I am well versed in honey and bumble bees. I can damn near hold them in my hands flying around my gardens.
But yes on those bastard jackets. Now tell me how we train them to take out stink bugs and lantern flies?

There's another ground dweller we see sometimes in New Jersey. It's called the Cicada Killer Wasp. They're solitary and live in burrows. They're also enormous - like 2-3" long. They mate, then the females lay a single egg in their burrow then go off to find and kill a cicada, which they carry off to the nest to serve as food for the single offspring.

They're also extremely defensive - they guard their nests and if you get too close, they'll chase you. The sight of that alone is terrifying. The bonus to all this is that they almost never sting humans, which is just as well since their stinger is roughly the size of a brass finishing nail.
licensed-image
Our house we had in Mahwah used to get these every year. Our neighborhood was built on an old sand quart so very easy for them to burrow their nests and our trees were loaded with cicadas. First year we were there, over 600 nests in our lawn. We had to hire a company to get rid of them and it took 4 times coming back to do so. Came back every year but never that many again.
I used to go out with a badminton racket and go to town on them.

Down here in Florida.. we got a leaf-cutting bee building stuff like this (supposedly they are harmless and somewhat endangered.. so build away little buddy). We'll try to track where it gets its leaves and if it is something we need to protect.. then we'll juts plant something it likes better.. closer.

jo_olon.jpg

We got wasps on occasion and put a couple of these up hoping they'd nest farther away (it worked right away.. for a season.. then stopped working for some reason.. may try it again)

81kLcq8tCcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

licensed-image

I get these every year. They are more scary than dangerous. The aggressive males don't have stingers and the female sting is supposedly painless, although I've never tested the theory. I whack them with one of those tennis racket looking electric bug killers. It stuns them and then I squash them. The biggest issue is that if you don't treat the nests, they come back stronger the next year when the eggs hatch. You have to locate and mark the nests during the day and then pour boiling water down the hole after 9 pm when they return from their day of hunting.

I get these every year. They are more scary than dangerous. The aggressive males don't have stingers and the female sting is supposedly painless, although I've never tested the theory. I whack them with one of those tennis racket looking electric bug killers. It stuns them and then I squash them. The biggest issue is that if you don't treat the nests, they come back stronger the next year when the eggs hatch. You have to locate and mark the nests during the day and then pour boiling water down the hole after 9 pm when they return from their day of hunting.
The stings are really bad...the boiling water didn't work so much for us- we had to get a professional to take care of ours. But like I said- the first year- over 600 nests.
Though, when you see them dragging a live cicada down into the nest for feeling- it is like a horror movie.

First time anyone sees one of these- scare shit out of them

The stings are really bad...the boiling water didn't work so much for us- we had to get a professional to take care of ours. But like I said- the first year- over 600 nests.
Though, when you see them dragging a live cicada down into the nest for feeling- it is like a horror movie.

First time anyone sees one of these- scare shit out of them

I usually get one a year, somewhere down by the mailbox. It's basically a non-issue, so I just let 'em be.

I usually get one a year, somewhere down by the mailbox. It's basically a non-issue, so I just let 'em be.
You're lucky. We have a tree on my neighbors property that has a deafening amount of cicadas in the summer, so our yard is the most popular spot in the neighborhood for them. Went from a few the first year, which I ignored, to about 30 of them buzzing around every morning the next year when they emerged. It's been a years-long battle since then to reduce the number. Boiling water on new nests, Late night Tempo Dust if that doesn't work, and a treatment on the area to kill the eggs (Bifen LP) so they don't come back the next year.

"Ground hornets"?

Bald-faced Hornets (NJ's native species) build those giant, basketball-sized nests on tree branches.
Those bastards keep wanting to build in my fruit orchard. One year didn’t see a foundation being built, by time harvest season came in July bigger than a softball sized nest. I couldn’t spray or I would have lost that trees harvest. That’s when my Funniest home videos attempt to remove it commenced.

Do what you can to leave them be. They are massively important for pollination and pest control. Carpenter bees do a nice job of taking down wasps also, so I would advise leaving them around.

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT