ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where Did You Do Your Internship, and How Was It?

No internships but I did have summer jobs. Three years (starting with post HS graduation) for a company that was building houses. Year 1 in Rockaway NJ where I was low man on the totem poll basically cleaning up after the subcontractors did their work. 2 things I remember - I learned how to curse really well, mostly from the plumbers. Also, when one of the plumbers asked about college and I told him I was going to Rutgers he was impressed, saying "we have a Rutgers man here!:
Year 2 the housing market sucked so I spent the summer cutting lawns at an apartment complex the company owned on Richard Mine road in Wharton. Year 3 back on houses in Long valley but it was very slow,
After that they did not have any more work for me so I spend the summer before senior years as a helper on a painting crew painting apartments in the Oranges.

As compared to my daughter who is interning for a PR firm in Boston for the summer after last year's internship at a clothing company headquarters i Connecticut. Both summers away from home.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
After spending my first three summers “interning” as a walk-on for RU football, I hung up the cleats and got an internship for Senator Bill Bradley in Washington DC in the summer of 1993, before my senior year. One of the best summers of my life. I got 3 or 6 credits for the internship, since it was affiliated with a summer internship program called the Washington Center and Eagleton.

I learned a lot about politics, happy hour buffets and female interns.
Dollar Bill was one of my favorite people.Liked him as a player and a pol.

Reactions: MorrisAsh
Merck in Rahway. Lab Services which meant I worked with union employees and tried to get them to actually do things. I didn't take the offer...

When I was at Rutgers GSBA in Newark I interviewed for an internship with a few of the Big 8 accounting firms (yes I'm that old and there used to be 8 of them) but didn't get hired. I blame not getting hired on the blue plaid suit that I wore to the interviews. I should have dressed like a funeral director instead of like Herb Tarkick from WKRP. My wife still mocks that suit.
Blue Plaid? No wonder you struck out. Should have been GREEN.. The color of MONEY.

I've been a diehard Nets fan since they started playing in the RAC in 1977.

In the fall semester (Sept.-Dec. 1986) of my senior year at RU, I interned in the Nets public relations office at the Meadowlands. So many great and funny memories. For instance, I picked up Orlando Woolridge, who was signed as a free agent, at his hotel and drove him to his introductory press conference. The vehicle: my big blue 1974 Chevy Impala! The thought of it still makes me laugh.

I was always the intern chosen to chauffeur players around because they could fit comfortably in my car.

There's little doubt NBA free agents these days hop into limos when being transported to their team's first press conference.

The best part of my internship: I made the dean's list that semester! The only semester I ever made the dean's list at RU. The internship was nine credits and I received an A. The Nets internship was extremely time-consuming so I was encouraged by my counselor to only take one other course during the semester. I got a B in that class, which gave me a 3.75 GPA. :cool2:

I had a research assistantship in grad school at Rutgers in the Labor Relations school(then called IMLR...the Inst of Management & Labor Relations). I transferred in from Cornell & they treated me VERY well. It was a paid position. I did the NJCC wage and salary study to ready the NJCC's for collective bargaining. It was a comparison of salaries of jobs at all levels. I attended meeting with the Directors of Personnel at every Comm College. It was a fairly prestigious position & EVERYONE looked up the RUTGERS.

In many ways it was the BEST year of my academic life. I was amazed at the comparisions between Cornell & Rutgers. I was a very lucky fellow indeed.

Last edited:
I did my internship in Washington Square Park. It was great, other than the occasional run-in with the cops or with angry John's who'd had their wallets lifted.

Ironically, the name of the guy I was interning with was Little John. At least that's what all the girls called him. He was like 7 feet tall. A legend on the NYC pick-up basketball circuit. Which is how I got the internship.

He needed somebody he could trust to watch over the girls, and keep an eye on the kids running the baggies to the cars, while he played basketball on the lower-East side.

But I learned a lot from him. How to always treat the girls with respect. The importance of getting along with law enforcement. The proper way to cut an eight-ball.

Without him, I wouldn't be the great success I am today.

After my own internship with the USAF, when I was at Rutgers, Washington Square Park was a favorite recreational destination.

It was great fun to go there on a Friday or Saturday night with a wad of small bills and a paper lunch bag.

We'd walk through the park from one corner to the other and as guys approached us looking to sell stuff, we'd buy some and stuff it in the bags.

Then it was back to our house on Maple St., where we'd dump the bags onto the kitchen table, crack some beers and dig in.

Reactions: mildone
No internships but I did have summer jobs. Three years (starting with post HS graduation) for a company that was building houses. Year 1 in Rockaway NJ where I was low man on the totem poll basically cleaning up after the subcontractors did their work. 2 things I remember - I learned how to curse really well, mostly from the plumbers. Also, when one of the plumbers asked about college and I told him I was going to Rutgers he was impressed, saying "we have a Rutgers man here!:
Year 2 the housing market sucked so I spent the summer cutting lawns at an apartment complex the company owned on Richard Mine road in Wharton. Year 3 back on houses in Long valley but it was very slow,
After that they did not have any more work for me so I spend the summer before senior years as a helper on a painting crew painting apartments in the Oranges.

As compared to my daughter who is interning for a PR firm in Boston for the summer after last year's internship at a clothing company headquarters i Connecticut. Both summers away from home.

I spent my actual college summers working at GATX in Carteret. I was loading chemicals into ships, trucks and train cars.

I had a research assistantship in grad school at Rutgers in the Labor Relations school(then called IMLR...the Inst of Management & Labor Relations). I transferred in from Cornell & they treated me VERY well. It was a paid position. I did the NJCC wage and salary study to ready the NJCC's for collective bargaining. It was a comparison of salaries of jobs at all levels. I attended meeting with the Directors of Personnel at every Comm College. It was a fairly prestigious position & EVERYONE looked up the RUTGERS.

In many ways it was the BEST year of my academic life. I was amazed at the comparisions between Cornell & Rutgers. I was a very lucky fellow indeed.

I graduated from IMLR at RU. I really enjoyed my academic experience there. I took classes with Professor Bill Weinberg who served in Audie Murphy’s squad during WW2. I didn’t find out about his military service until many years after I graduated. I interned as a Business Agent with a Teamster Local.

Reactions: mikefla
I graduated from IMLR at RU. I really enjoyed my academic experience there. I took classes with Professor Bill Weinberg who served in Audie Murphy’s squad during WW2. I didn’t find out about his military service until many years after I graduated. I interned as a Business Agent with a Teamster Local.

Batts working with the unions? Who woulda thunk?

Reactions: mikefla and batts
Merck in Rahway. Lab Services which meant I worked with union employees and tried to get them to actually do things. I didn't take the offer...

Not a fun internship. Those jobs were all contracted out about 10 years ago. Interestingly, the contract employees, who are not unionized, are only a bit better than the union folks were (and a few are worse) - I just don't think fairly low-skilled jobs like that attract the brightest and most motivated employees.

This rung a bell, so I found the thread where we had an exchange about my wife's dad, just after he died at the age of 96 a couple of years ago. Thanks again for the kind words - he truly loved teaching and always enjoyed hearing from students. I'll never forget one of his little teaching tricks: he was ambidextrous, so he could start with his left hand at the chalkboard and write several words, then switch to his right hand and finish off the line without moving his feet.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-rip-will-weinberg.129800/#post-2901840

Reactions: mikefla and batts
So, never had an internship. As an undergrad in the Chem Eng'g dept., I continued doing work for my main adviser during the summers after my soph and junior years (instead of getting an external internship), mostly because I enjoyed the work and the grad students in the program, plus it meant I could live those summers in NB, which I wouldn't trade for any internship.

There was no need for one in grad school either, especially since I got the Merck offer at the end - back then and today, there's never been a stronger chem E group in all of Pharma.

Years later when I became the lead recruiter of engineers for Merck from RU (did that for 12 years), I was fortunate enough to be able to "give back" by hiring 30+ interns, about a dozen of whom ended up working at Merck full-time (as well as quite a few non-interns). That was a very satisfying "side-job."

So, never had an internship. As an undergrad in the Chem Eng'g dept., I continued doing work for my main adviser during the summers after my soph and junior years (instead of getting an external internship), mostly because I enjoyed the work and the grad students in the program, plus it meant I could live those summers in NB, which I wouldn't trade for any internship.

There was no need for one in grad school either, especially since I got the Merck offer at the end - back then and today, there's never been a stronger chem E group in all of Pharma.

Years later when I became the lead recruiter of engineers for Merck from RU (did that for 12 years), I was fortunate enough to be able to "give back" by hiring 30+ interns, about a dozen of whom ended up working at Merck full-time (as well as quite a few non-interns). That was a very satisfying "side-job."
How many did you train to continue the Weather Threads, (always) paying homage to the one and only Numbers?

NJ Dept of Environmental Protection. Trenton. My neighbor worked there but had no decision in getting me in but ended up working in his unit. I drew flood planes on maps which were used to figure out who paid flood insurance. We also built several real sand dunes where I grew up in Lavallette. All 4 of the dunes withstood Sandy and saved the north end of the town. Not one beach house was damaged. My friend years later became the head of the NJDEP

Nice. I did a 9-month, 20-hour a week stint at the NJDEP in 1989 while finishing up my PhD from RU, since my research was a combo of chem/env eng'g mixed in with environmental law and public policy and one of my advisers was then 2nd in command at the DEP. She really wanted me to come work there after grad school, but in 1984, they were under wage and travel freezes and my offer from Merck was much more, so I wen't for the $$, lol.

In college, I worked summer and winter breaks at LANTNAVFACENGCOM, or Atlantic Division, Naval Facilities Engineering Command, at Naval Station Norfolk. It was a much more interesting work environment than an office park engineering company. We had a busy heliport outside our window, drill on the parade grounds out front, and during a counterterrorism drill, our office was raided (rappelling down the walls and everything) ad our Admiral was captured by the enemy.

During grad school, I worked as a GA at a research center at Rutgers and later at an engineering firm in an office park in Morris Co. Worked there as a paid intern, full time during my final summer break and then part time during the academic year.

This rung a bell, so I found the thread where we had an exchange about my wife's dad, just after he died at the age of 96 a couple of years ago. Thanks again for the kind words - he truly loved teaching and always enjoyed hearing from students. I'll never forget one of his little teaching tricks: he was ambidextrous, so he could start with his left hand at the chalkboard and write several words, then switch to his right hand and finish off the line without moving his feet.

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-rip-will-weinberg.129800/#post-2901840

I certainly remember our exchange. I am still saddened by his passing. He was so unassuming and humble, you would never know that he was a war hero. I admired him before I knew of his war experiences. My respect and admiration for him increased tenfold once I learned of his service in the war.

Reactions: RU848789
I had Bill Weinburg. We was the best! He was my reference for many of my jobs.
I also really liked Dr Wells Keddie.
What years were you at IMLR/SMLR? I was 1980/1981.
I ended up Dir of Personnel at Mercer County Comm College briefly & left for a teaching job at a Comm College in Florida.

For 11 years I had an acting career in London. I sent Dr Winburg a playbill from London .....Dr Weinburg joked that I would do "anything to stay out of Management and Labor Relations" LOL

Reactions: RU848789
Really? What years was that? I feel like I woulda come across him. I joined full-time in 03. Was he a brand manager?

I don't know his position. But PG kept transferring him back / forth between Cinncy / Baltimore area.

He died circa 2004...and PG closed down the units he was associated with for two days as a sign of respect.

MO

I had Bill Weinburg. We was the best! He was my reference for many of my jobs.
I also really liked Dr Wells Keddie.
What years were you at IMLR/SMLR? I was 1980/1981.
I ended up Dir of Personnel at Mercer County Comm College briefly & left for a teaching job at a Comm College in Florida.

For 11 years I had an acting career in London. I sent Dr Winburg a playbill from London .....Dr Weinburg joked that I would do "anything to stay out of Management and Labor Relations" LOL

Wow! I just missed you. I was there from 78 to 80. I finished my courses in 79 but had to take an internship in 1980 to obtain my degree. I later went to law school I used Bill Weinberg in a few labor arbitration's.

Wow! I just missed you. I was there from 78 to 80. I finished my courses in 79 but had to take an internship in 1980 to obtain my degree. I later went to law school I used Bill Weinberg in a few labor arbitration's.
WOW...that makes us IMLR alums !

My first one was at a small accounting company that resulted in me switching majors out of accounting.

My second was with The Great Atlantic and Pacific Team Company. Better known as the grocery store A&P.

St. Peter’s (Medical Center as it was known back then) Cardiac Rehab between Jr and Sr years. Parlayed that into an in-year internship with New Brunswick Cardiology. A lot of repetition, but I must say the staff really tried hard to teach me things and didn’t just treat me as a go-fer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT