ADVERTISEMENT

OT Where do you Kayak in NJ

fg7321

All Conference
Nov 29, 2009
Just bought two Kayaks live in Monmouth any places that are hidden gems?

I have friends with kayaks who live in Fair Haven. They kayak on the Navasink right there.

Launch at Brice Park in Allenwood section of Wall.
For Navesink River access, try Victory Park in Rumson or the foot of the Oceanic Bridge in Middletown.

And the Navesink will be clogged with motor boats and jet skis. Not exactly a hidden gem.
Here is a list of launch points in Monmouth County:
http://www.jsska.org/launch-directory-county/Monmouth

Recommend the Swimming River at Chapin Road, and you can pull out at Marine Park.

Need to check if Brice Park allows launches. I am fairly sure Kayaks are allowed:
http://www.getoutsidenj.com/listings/brice-park.wall.monmouth-county.new-jersey.html

Highly recommend heading down the river from Brice Park and getting out at the Manasquan River Wildlife area. Area is very nice an unspoiled. If you have more time, you can go all the way to the mouth of the Manasquan River and get out at the Manasquan River Property Owners Association at the end of Holly Boulevard where it intersects with Riverside Terrace in the Manasquan Park section of Wall. Technically, you are supposed to be a property owner, but I doubt anybody is going to give you are hard time if you paddle in in take your kayaks out here. You can park on the Riverside Terrace and then drive down to pick up your kayaks. This stretch of river is fantastic, and probably one of the best hidden gems in Monmouth. Assuming you will go with two cars, one parked at your launch, and one where you will take out.

Another option further up the upper Manasquan River is the Yellowbrook Road launch in Howell. This will take you through Allaire State Park, and you can pull out at Brice Park in Allenwood. If you are adventurous, you can go all the way from Yellowbrook Road down to the pull outs mentioned above. Don't think it gets any better than this. You may need to get out a few times to go over logs, etc.

Was looking to purchase a kayak. Just moved to Northern Monmouth county not long ago. Gonna keep checking craigslist---thinking about a 2 person kayak for wife and I. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free! Thanks

Just bought two Kayaks live in Monmouth any places that are hidden gems?
If you live by Allaire St. park off of Ramshorn Dr., right past Allenwood Rd.(General Store) where walking path is traveling south about 300 yds. on your right is a road with Allaire park sign. You can travel down this road and pick up the Manasquan river. It's very tough to find and only locals know it, it will be just your party and maybe one or two others on this stretch of the river.

If you live by Allaire St. park off of Ramshorn Dr., right past Allenwood Rd.(General Store) where walking path is traveling south about 300 yds. on your right is a road with Allaire park sign. You can travel down this road and pick up the Manasquan river. It's very tough to find and only locals know it, it will be just your party and maybe one or two others on this stretch of the river.
This is what I referred to as the Manasquan River Wildlife Area in my post, and I agree it is not a well known place. The ride further up the river to this launch area is very nice. It has been a long time since I have been this far up the river, but I recall it could be tough to paddle upstream. Do you know if the old trucking bridge downstream from this area still exists, or has it been torn down? I remember going upstream to that bridge as a teen and jumping into the river.

This is what I referred to as the Manasquan River Wildlife Area in my post, and I agree it is not a well known place. The ride further up the river to this launch area is very nice. It has been a long time since I have been this far up the river, but I recall it could be tough to paddle upstream. Do you know if the old trucking bridge downstream from this area still exists, or has it been torn down? I remember going upstream to that bridge as a teen and jumping into the river.
Sorry didn't notice it in your post. You can easily go upstream if it hasn't rained in like a week. My wife, niece and nephew had no problems it becomes a lazy river. However, over the past few years many trees have fallen into the river, there is some getting out upstream. But it's perfect for the kids as they always fell like Lewis and Clark exploring. For me kayaking has always been about exploring where other boats can not venture, I don't like open water. Find it boring. It's always been about trying to see what's up around the next bend and the challenge of getting there. Most of the fallen trees are navigable. After a rain storm it's rough, I mean real rough. I tried it by myself and failed, that's when I was in great shape.

There is a steel bridge between Brice Park and this launch point but nothing down stream till Rt. 70 bridge. We like it because it's quiet and the scenery is nothing but wildlife, woods and reeds. No houses in sight just nature until it opens up much further down. Another pet peeve of mine when I'm kayaking, I want to feel like I'm in nature not watching some family having a barbeque in their back yard. This spot is perfect for that. Also once in a while you get an ass in a jet ski or small boat flying upstream but they always have to turn around rather quick once they hit the trees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Sorry didn't notice it in your post. You can easily go upstream if it hasn't rained in like a week. My wife, niece and nephew had no problems it becomes a lazy river. However, over the past few years many trees have fallen into the river, there is some getting out upstream. But it's perfect for the kids as they always fell like Lewis and Clark exploring. For me kayaking has always been about exploring where other boats can not venture, I don't like open water. Find it boring. It's always been about trying to see what's up around the next bend and the challenge of getting there. Most of the fallen trees are navigable. After a rain storm it's rough, I mean real rough. I tried it by myself and failed, that's when I was in great shape.

There is a steel bridge between Brice Park and this launch point but nothing down stream till Rt. 70 bridge. We like it because it's quiet and the scenery is nothing but wildlife, woods and reeds. No houses in sight just nature until it opens up much further down. Another pet peeve of mine when I'm kayaking, I want to feel like I'm in nature not watching some family having a barbeque in their back yard. This spot is perfect for that. Also once in a while you get an ass in a jet ski or small boat flying upstream but they always have to turn around rather quick once they hit the trees.
Thanks for that, that's nice to know. May take a trip with the kids this summer from that launching point or further upstream. That is a very special spot and unspoiled by development.

BTW, what do you use to get your kayaks to the launching point? A pickup truck or rooftop carrier?

BTW, what do you use to get your kayaks to the launching point? A pickup truck or rooftop carrier?
I have an F250, just take the road down the hill slow and you'll be fine if you have a roof top carrier. Seen many people with mini-vans and cars drive down. They usually fix the stone road once a year, so it's always in good shape. You can turn around at the bottom so no worries there.

I have an F250, just take the road down the hill slow and you'll be fine if you have a roof top carrier. Seen many people with mini-vans and cars drive down. They usually fix the stone road once a year, so it's always in good shape. You can turn around at the bottom so no worries there.
Don't know if you ever kayaked in the open waters of the Manasquan River, but I see there is a launch off of Osprey Point Drive in Brielle. It is a short paddle to Osborn Island in the middle of the Manasquan River. It's a neat little island, and there used to be a rope swing to swing into the river. I think it gets fairly crowded with larger boats anchoring off the island on weekends, but it is still a change of pace and worth doing at least once.

There are quite a few fishing kayaks in the Navesink River out with the larger boats fishing for blues and fluke.

http://www.jsska.org/launch-directory/manasquan-river-osprey-point-drive

Reactions: koleszar
If you are feeling adventurous try Johnson Park to Keyport. It is about 20 miles.

Farrington Lake in North Brunswick area and you can even do some awesome Pike fishing while your at it or even see a waterfall.

Last edited:
Believe it or not lots of kayaking on the Hudson. Launches in Hoboken and several other spots and typically choppy waters, but nothing too crazy, I assume make for a pretty good workout.

Reactions: rutgersal
Was looking to purchase a kayak. Just moved to Northern Monmouth county not long ago. Gonna keep checking craigslist---thinking about a 2 person kayak for wife and I. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free! Thanks

Not the suggestion you were looking for, but I have been kayaking for many years. I think in time, you will much prefer two one person kayaks

Don't know if you ever kayaked in the open waters of the Manasquan River, but I see there is a launch off of Osprey Point Drive in Brielle. It is a short paddle to Osborn Island in the middle of the Manasquan River. It's a neat little island, and there used to be a rope swing to swing into the river. I think it gets fairly crowded with larger boats anchoring off the island on weekends, but it is still a change of pace and worth doing at least once.

There are quite a few fishing kayaks in the Navesink River out with the larger boats fishing for blues and fluke.

http://www.jsska.org/launch-directory/manasquan-river-osprey-point-drive
From the Ramshorn launch point I actually never went much past Rt. 70 bridge maybe 200 ft. it just got too congested for my liking, never made it to the island. Boaters are usually respectful when they see a kayaker, but those damn jet skiers have no respect for anyone. They fly right up on top of you. And there's hundreds there everyday in the summer it seems. They really are a nuisance for boaters and kayakers alike. But I might just suck it up and take your recommendation and launch from Osprey to the island. Thanks for the recommendation. I like the Navesink as well but usually travel up Swimming river from the launch point on West Front St. all the way up past the Parkway. Then it gets too shallow and the greenheads get quite abundant. I do have a kayak set up for fishing, but only use that one a couple of weeks a year up in the Adirondacks.

Last edited:
A great place in Ocean County is the North End Bay beach in Seaside Heights. Free parking and you can launch just about anywhere on beach, Almost always calm with almost no boat traffic. When you get good and have an Ocean Kayak just go to Hiering Ave in Seaside Heights and launch into the Atlantic when it's calm. Always wear your life vest!

Last edited:
Anybody have any experience with Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks? Was considering getting the 370 linked below. Reviews are good, and this one is rated class 3. Can't deal with hassle of transporting a rigid kayak, and looking for portability. Sea Eagle has been around for quite a few years.

https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370

Last edited:
It's nowhere near Monmouth County, which was an implicit requirement in the OP.
I didn't take it as an implicit requirement. OP just said he lives in Monmouth County. Didn't say he can only paddle in MC. BTW OP, it's worth the drive.

I didn't take it as an implicit requirement. OP just said he lives in Monmouth County. Didn't say he can only paddle in MC. BTW OP, it's worth the drive.

The point being that there are better places, closer. Round Valley is... a lake. Big whoop. We have one here, it's called Manasquan Reservoir - which, btw, has much more wildlife, including a couple nesting pairs of bald eagles.

I never kayaked but I did used to go canoeing and there were many kayaks on Cedar Creek in Bayville/Berkeley Township. short trip you put in at main entrance to Double Trouble State Park, long trip 4hrs? you start in at the power lines by police/township offices. take the long trip for sure the change in scenery is awesome.
Some guy paddled all the water ways in the U.S. wrote a book on each state, he said when he did Cedar Creek if he didn't know better he would swear he was in Canada.

Believe it or not lots of kayaking on the Hudson. Launches in Hoboken and several other spots and typically choppy waters, but nothing too crazy, I assume make for a pretty good workout.
I've see kayaks off the east coast of Staten Island quite a few times. You can see the kayak out there and farther out you
can see the cruise ships entering or leaving the harbor.

2 person kayak is also known as a divorce boat... my wife and I bought 2 single kayaks last year. They were entry models and we absolutely love them. She likes to paddle to a cove and prop her feet up, float, and read a magazine. I enjoy throwing a fishing line or 2 out behind the kayak and paddle, troll when we are there for a few hours We could not do this in a 2 person. We can also put kayaks side by side and have lunch together. I think it is best of worlds. I can also handle putting up 2 kayaks on the roof rack by myself
I'm not sure how easy the 2 person are to handle.

Check out the link I posted above for the Sea Eagle inflatable.

At the risk of pissing off a very sensitive mega poster here, I'm going to take you outside of Monmouth county. The pine barrens and the wading river in particular are tops. Small winding streams that are near empty on weekdays (Mick's Canoes will transport you). Barnegat Light is good too (north near Myers Hole and the dyke, or south next to the kids bay beach). I put 2 or 3 on my boat and anchor off of the bay side of IBSP and kayak into the creeks around the sedge islands (several guides will transport you for this type of trip... Just be careful of tide and wind conditions). I also use mine to go clamming, and to cruise up and down lagoons (no wake areas) visiting friends from the waterside. On a calm day launch from the beach straight into the ocean (really a blast if the breakers are small).

A few other points, 2 singles are far better than a tandem (either way get a sit on and not a sit in, the former are much better in salt water). I have several singles, 2 tandems, and a surf kayak (essentially a sit on surfboard). Jersey Paddler in brick is the best place to get insightful help. There is also a nice book called something like Exploring the Small Rivers of NJ ( I don't recall the exact name since it is at my beach house). One last point, Round Valley is an awesome place to kayak, any comparison to the Manasquan Reservoir is nuts. There are plenty of secluded areas to put in and explore/fish/picnic/etc. and a recently active active bald eagle nest, bear sightings, a huge herd of deer, and beautiful scenery ( not to mention crystal clear water). Also splurge on a carbon fiber paddle, the weight makes a difference after a pretty short time. Any way you go kayaks are good cheap fun, they are easy to transport, and you will quickly find your favorite spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT