ADVERTISEMENT

OT: White Manna>White Rose

White mana. I work a mile from there. I go once every couple months after work. Just gotta keep in mind youll smell like it after walking in there

The White Rose Diner in the article is in Linden. article says "not to be confused with The White Rose System" in Highland Park.

I was thinking about all of this last night (I must be telepathically linked with RutgersAl!).

After all these years, I've still never been to any of them (White Rose System -- which one of my friends used to swear by, White Rose Diner, White Mana, and White Manna).

I was thinking of making a special trip to New Jersey (at 3am) just try any/all of them.

Reactions: rutgersal
White mana. I work a mile from there. I go once every couple months after work. Just gotta keep in mind youll smell like it after walking in there

If married and the wife is checking on your diet, going there to sneak a couple of Burgers is like the days when smoking was allowed at bars.

Reactions: BLewis1968
When it comes to the menu, White Rose System (HP) > White Mana (JC) IMO. But it’s the other way ‘round for architecture.

Never been to the others.

Reactions: PaRU102
For someone going there for the first time (white rose Linden) what do you recommend to get the experience

For those who have been to both...

How do the milkshakes compare?

When I was in school you would be surprised how many students never heard of White Rose. I used to send pledges there to get me food.

Yeah, I went to RU and worked in NB for years and never heard of it until this board. Sort of started boycotting the entire town of Highland Park when I couldn't get a bacon-egg-cheese at DD, though. Weird place, that one.

Reactions: MikeR0102
I grew up in HP. To us it was the White or the System.Opened in 1957 by a group of guys from North Carolina. It may be an urban myth that they were all ex cons.It may not. In the beginning they didnt want to serve african American customers which is what they grew up with down there but the town said serve eb eveyone or go home. My lifelong problem with weight is at least partially attributable to my dad and the White..Miss ya pops.

Love them all (White Roses, White Manna, White Diamond, etc.). Think I like the White Rose (HP) burger best, the White Manna fries, the White Rose shakes (Roselle) best and the White Diamond pork roll egg and cheese best. And I love White Castle, too. Maybe I have a problem...

Numbers I thought your whole life was snow. But now I see it is a least partially about causing yourself huge gastrointestinal distress.

Reactions: GORU2014
I like both.....If you do go to White Manna, you should go down the street and pick up a crumb cake at B&W bakery.

Reactions: LukeRU90
Never went to White Rose while at RU because I had gone so many times in high school. Growing up in North Brunswick, there weren't many places to go for food late at night aside from the two diners (Somerset far better than Middlesex), so we headed to White Rose. If you didn't want ketchup on a takeout order of fries, ask quickly because they usually squirted while they asked.

I grew up in HP. To us it was the White or the System.Opened in 1957 by a group of guys from North Carolina. It may be an urban myth that they were all ex cons.It may not. In the beginning they didnt want to serve african American customers which is what they grew up with down there but the town said serve eb eveyone or go home. My lifelong problem with weight is at least partially attributable to my dad and the White..Miss ya pops.
One of my customers was the former owner of White Rose. Nice guy who passed away last year. Still had the North Carolina accent. I asked him about the ex-cons, and he said it wasn't true.

Wouldn't be surprised if White Rose was one of the first foods I ate once my teeth came in as a baby, I'm not kidding.

An absolute institution for anyone growing up in HP. Nothing will ever beat the System.

Boro, what year NBTHS ?

I visited The System often in HS but took the college years off to let my GI tract recover....and unfortunately didn't go to Greasy Tony's during college either (not that I recall, anyway).

I was thinking about all of this last night (I must be telepathically linked with RutgersAl!).

After all these years, I've still never been to any of them (White Rose System -- which one of my friends used to swear by, White Rose Diner, White Mana, and White Manna).

I was thinking of making a special trip to New Jersey (at 3am) just try any/all of them.
Just be sure to be close to a bathroom when you wake up later in the morning.

I went to school out of state, but in summers I was a semi regular at Greasy Tony’s, the System, and Willie’s Wings. Wasn’t until long after college that I was introduced to the food trucks and fat sandwiches. I made up for lost time by never ordering fewer than two at a time.

Anybody remember Harry's Corner in South Hackensack? Many a weekend late night after being out spent there. You had to go in there and get the Double Double sandwich. For those not familiar it was double egg, double sausage, chili and cheese on a long semolina roll. It was simply amazing.

9480884_orig.jpg

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Anybody remember Harry's Corner in South Hackensack? Many a weekend late night after being out spent there. You had to go in there and get the Double Double sandwich. For those not familiar it was double egg, double sausage, chili and cheese on a long semolina roll. It was simply amazing.

9480884_orig.jpg

DUDE!!!I Used to get a Double-Double (scrambled/sausage) with chili! Best late night sandwich EVER (until I found FAT Sandwiches...pre asshat Darryl's claim....) when I was at FDU my first 2 years of school we went their religiously!

- only chocolate milk or iced tea inside, machine outside for soda

- turned into "my corner" but quality went down

...have no idea what it is now. What a shame that place was legendary!!!

Reactions: Clearscreen25
DUDE!!!I Used to get a Double-Double (scrambled/sausage) with chili! Best late night sandwich EVER (until I found FAT Sandwiches...pre asshat Darryl's claim....) when I was at FDU my first 2 years of school we went their religiously!

There is a car dealer there now like everything else there. Once it sold it was not the same, the Double Double with an Ice tea or coffee was legendary. Was going past last night that is why I thought of it. From what I recall Harry passed away in the 2008 time frame.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
When it comes to the menu, White Rose System (HP) > White Mana (JC) IMO. But it’s the other way ‘round for architecture.

Never been to the others.

There's also a considerable difference between White Manna (Hackensack) and White Mana (JC)

Hint: White Manna > White Mana

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

Any of you guys ever see this friendly face there? I hear it was also one of his favorites...
latest

One of my customers was the former owner of White Rose. Nice guy who passed away last year. Still had the North Carolina accent. I asked him about the ex-cons, and he said it wasn't true.
From what I know, all 5 locations (HP, Linden, Clark and both in Roselle/Roselle Park) were owned by the same guy. The one in Clark became the White Diamond. Been to 3/5. HP is best imho.

Any of you guys ever see this friendly face there? I hear it was also one of his favorites...
latest

Big Rich Kuklinski aka "the iceman" I was there on weekends after being out all night. Hew was usually there for breakfast of lunch. You could also find him in the neighborhood of the York Hotel in North Bergen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT