ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WWII September 1, 1939, 85 Years Ago Today - The Invasion of Poland

If you like Erik Larson, read Devil in The White City…..excellent book
Another excellent book by Larson is “Issac’s Storm”. The story of Issac Cline, chief meteorologist of the NWS in Galveston, Texas and the infamous hurricane of 1900 which wiped out Galveston- then probably the premier port city in the US. Great story.

From listening to VDH and others I came to understand that the US was massively supplying the Soviet war effort via Alaskan routes. FDR never expected Soviets to repay. He did expect Brits to repay - he didn't really like Brits or the British Empire. He had a thing for Stalin like a lot of the left back then.
The story of high grade steel shipped by Canadian rail from Minnesota and Michigan to Alaska and then by sea to Vladistok is a curious and significant factor in the war. The Soviets simply could not manufacture the grades of steel needed for airplane and tank production - at least no where near the quantity needed. The US definitely kept them going. Steel was shipped by rail from Pacific ports to Russian industrial manufacturing centers located across the entirety of the Asian continent. This was fantastically expensive and slow. Stalin really wanted blast furnace parts, metalurgist, engineers, mining experts to accelerate Soviet steel production. There is no shortage of ore in Russia. Roosevelt would not go that way. He wanted to give them a fish but not teach them how to fish.

Reactions: ashokan
Has any historian posited that Chamberlain had the right idea? I feel like Churchill was too keen for war. Keep the tip of Germany spear directed east. Eventually that would have lead to conflict with the Soviets. They degrade each other in a dead lock struggle that last several year and then England and France -supported with American industrial production - could have pushed around the two weakened foes like freshman in the lunch line.
Church hill didn’t become PM until May 1940, Britain was already at war

Anyone ever contemplate that if it wasn't for WWII, most of us would not be here contemplating about WWII?

Reactions: HeywoodGiant
This week is the anniversary of Legendary Battle of Teutoburg Forest - often called the Varian Disaster. Rome lost 3 legions of around 20k people (with support people). Arminius, a tribal German raised by Romans became a traitor to the army. He led legions into a trap with gory results. Its been said by some scholars that Rome abandoned Northern Germany and it became its own region that would produce 1st and 2nd Reichs and ultimately Hitler. I'm not well read in that area but there are a lot of good YT vids about battle. Second vid shows the genius of the ambush

As a person of Polish decent, its quite clear cut really - Russia has never wanted an independent Poland (I don't want to get into a CE board debate, but there are parallels to Ukraine today). From 1795, to the Polish-Soviet War in 1920, to the Katyn Massacre of 1940, to the failure of the 1944 Warsaw Uprising, the selling out of the Yalta Conference, and finally the denial of allowing Polish Veterans to march in the London...

The Katyn Forest memorial on the Hudson waterfront in Jersey City is very powerful and worth a visit. 22,000 Poles, including 8,000 Polish officers who were prisoners of war and about 7,000 police officers, were executed by Stalin's NKVD,

Great series to read on WWII, the three books by Rick Atkinson. The Liberation Trilogy, starting with An Army at Dawn about North Africa campaigns, The Day of Battle about Sicily and the Italian campaign, then The Guns at Last Light on the European campaign.

Just started the first book, but seems equally good, is the three book series on the war in the Pacific by Ian W. Toll. Pacific Crucible, The Conquering Tide, and Twilight of the Gods. Note Toll is the author on that fantastic book Six Frigates, about the first six frigates of the US Navy.

I read both trilogies and "Six Frigates." Toll is a much better writer than Atkinson, but the combined six volumes are worth the time. SF is a superb book and addresses a history that I and most others were and are not informed of.

He was an influential member of Parliament with strong views, however, in the runup to the war, wouldn't you agree?
He certainly was a member of Parliament and did favor rearmament during the 30’s in response to rise of German rearmament. Not knowledgeable enough to comment on how influential he was. He did tell Chamberlain that UK should declare war if Hitler invaded Czechs, obvioSly didn’t listen

watch the video.. actually WATCH it then come back again

Yeah... the religious aspect and demons and so on.. that's a bit much.. though when you look at Adam Schiff you can see the argument for "demon".

But this guy predicted 9-11. Not some vague prediction.. he even named Osama Bin Laden... what was it.. a month before it happened? How many people know that about Alex Jones?

This Alex Jones guy is not teh complete lunatic he has been made out to be and that begs the question.. why is he being persecuted and prosecuted the way he has been? It is an all-out assault in the media and via lawfare and censorship. If he is such a lunatic why is he treated like what he has to say is so dangerous to the government?
Sorry, no interest in watching anything this nutjob has to say and especially not interested in supporting any of his endeavors by clicking on his or Carlson's websites. He is a complete lunatic and how you can't see this is a bit disturbing, although you've always been a bit of a conspiracy guy, so it's not surprising. See the article below for just a small sampling of his craziest conspiracy theories, including the following.
  • 9/11 was an inside job perpetrated by the US Government
  • The Govt has "weather weapons" and has been using them to control things like tornadoes.
  • The government is using chemicals in order to turn people - and frogs (I shit you not) - gay
  • He claimed that Robert Mueller is a demon and a pedophile who raped kids
  • He strongly pushed the crazy story that Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring out of a DC pizza shop (Pizzagate).
  • And, of course, the most heinous conspiracy theory he espoused was claiming that the Sandy Hook school mass shooting was “completely fake” and staged in order to promote more restrictive gun control policies. Fortunately, juries in CT and TX found Jones liable for defamation and awarded the plaintiffs $1.5 billion in damages, which hopefully will bankrupt this morally bankrupt d-bag for good, although my guess is that the morons that follow him will still follow him and buy his useless supplements.
And by the way, he didn't "predict" 9/11 per se. He regularly said terrorist attacks were coming and that Bin Laden was a terrorist, which were things everyone knew and he didn't include any details of what these terrorist attacks would look like.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/alex-jones-5-most-disturbing-ridiculous-conspiracy-theories.html

I read both trilogies and "Six Frigates." Toll is a much better writer than Atkinson, but the combined six volumes are worth the time. SF is a superb book and addresses a history that I and most others were and are not informed of.
Agree, though I do like Atkinson's detail regarding logistics and some of the other less covered topics. However, Toll is fantastic at describing the action and has superb analysis on the personalities. Just completed the first of Toll's Pacific War trilogy, had in my opinion one of the best Battle of Midway descriptions I've ever read.

Agree, though I do like Atkinson's detail regarding logistics and some of the other less covered topics. However, Toll is fantastic at describing the action and has superb analysis on the personalities. Just completed the first of Toll's Pacific War trilogy, had in my opinion one of the best Battle of Midway descriptions I've ever read.

Best Midway book I ever read was Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory"

Sorry, no interest in watching anything this nutjob has to say and especially not interested in supporting any of his endeavors by clicking on his or Carlson's websites. He is a complete lunatic and how you can't see this is a bit disturbing, although you've always been a bit of a conspiracy guy, so it's not surprising. See the article below for just a small sampling of his craziest conspiracy theories, including the following.
  • The Govt has "weather weapons" and has been using them to control things like tornadoes.
  • The government is using chemicals in order to turn people - and frogs (I shit you not) - gay
  • He strongly pushed the crazy story that Hillary Clinton was running a child sex ring out of a DC pizza shop (Pizzagate).
  • And, of course, the most heinous conspiracy theory he espoused was claiming that the Sandy Hook school mass shooting was “completely fake” and staged in order to promote more restrictive gun control policies. Fortunately, juries in CT and TX found Jones liable for defamation and awarded the plaintiffs $1.5 billion in damages, which hopefully will bankrupt this morally bankrupt d-bag for good, although my guess is that the morons that follow him will still follow him and buy his useless supplements.
And by the way, he didn't "predict" 9/11 per se. He regularly said terrorist attacks were coming and that Bin Laden was a terrorist, which were things everyone knew and he didn't include any details of what these terrorist attacks would look like.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/14/alex-jones-5-most-disturbing-ridiculous-conspiracy-theories.html
Sorry. I do not trust your lists. You lefties regularly lie. I find it interesting you decided to respond to this post 9 days later. You are on here every day.. but you wait until ABC and Kamala, together, "defeat" Trump in a debate where teh fine people hoax went uncommented on by the "moderators"?

Sorry. None of you are trustworthy. Jones isn't either.. but to simply believe he deserves the treatment he got for using his right of free speech.. that is just so typical of you lefties. Obama locked up a man for making a youtube video critical of Mohammed in order to hide His and Hilalry's complicity in the handling of Benghazi. You have no interest in defending any rights guaranteed in teh Constitution unless it allows you to spread your brand of hate.

How many lefties said 911 was an inside job and Bush/Cheney was responsible? How many of them have been lawfared into bankruptcy? Today you are an "ally" of the far left. If they succeed, one day you will be an enemy. God help you then if they succeed in taking over teh country with an unchallengeable majority. God help us all.

I can't believe that there are people stupid enough to believe what that a-hole is selling....besides his supplements.

I can't believe that there are people stupid enough to believe what that a-hole is selling....besides his supplements.

There are people who are stupid enough to believe what a lot of a-holes are selling. 9-11 cited above being one that IIRC was believed by roughly 25% of Democratic voters. That CNN and MSNBC thought Michael Avenatti was a potentially serious challenger to Trump in 2020 back in '18. I could go on but I think I made my point.

Reactions: bac2therac
A thread about the invasion of Poland in September 1939 turned into a different type of invasion thread in September 2024.

There are people who are stupid enough to believe what a lot of a-holes are selling. 9-11 cited above being one that IIRC was believed by roughly 25% of Democratic voters. That CNN and MSNBC thought Michael Avenatti was a potentially serious challenger to Trump in 2020 back in '18. I could go on but I think I made my point.
I know plenty of stupid Democrats. But the stuff Jones is selling is on a whole different level of stupid.

Check out "Shattered Sword," which is the best analysis of the battle. It is based on three extensive original Japanese sources that were unknown to Walter Lord 38 years earlier. Excellent book.

Last edited:
Sorry. I do not trust your lists. You lefties regularly lie. I find it interesting you decided to respond to this post 9 days later. You are on here every day.. but you wait until ABC and Kamala, together, "defeat" Trump in a debate where teh fine people hoax went uncommented on by the "moderators"?

Sorry. None of you are trustworthy. Jones isn't either.. but to simply believe he deserves the treatment he got for using his right of free speech.. that is just so typical of you lefties. Obama locked up a man for making a youtube video critical of Mohammed in order to hide His and Hilalry's complicity in the handling of Benghazi. You have no interest in defending any rights guaranteed in teh Constitution unless it allows you to spread your brand of hate.

How many lefties said 911 was an inside job and Bush/Cheney was responsible? How many of them have been lawfared into bankruptcy? Today you are an "ally" of the far left. If they succeed, one day you will be an enemy. God help you then if they succeed in taking over teh country with an unchallengeable majority. God help us all.

Tay Tay>Kid Rock

The Katyn Forest memorial on the Hudson waterfront in Jersey City is very powerful and worth a visit. 22,000 Poles, including 8,000 Polish officers who were prisoners of war and about 7,000 police officers, were executed by Stalin's NKVD,

The Soviets blamed the Nazis for the atrocities they themselves committed.

Reactions: Kbee3

If the point was deflection, point made.

With respect to Churchill, the lead WSJ editorial today (paywall) takes Tucker Carlson to the woodshed over the Darryl Cooper interview

There is much there - many deep, angry feelings. Where to start?

OK, the post you just replied to referred only to Tucker Carlson. What did last night’s debate have to do with anything in the post you replied to?

Also, every single argument is a sort of negative rebuttal to a perceived negative. For example, Carlson isn’t trustworthy, but neither is anyone on the left? What do lefties have to do with this? The points are about Carlson himself. Just because you don’t like lefties doesn’t suddenly exculpate Carlson.

As for his free speech rights, Fox News dumped him as a major legal liability. I wish for once that free speech absolutists would sometimes discuss consequences and responsibilities of their speech. If one claims that a voting tabulation company cheated an election, is there no reasonable consequence?

There’s an allegation of Obama jailing a political opponent. Gonna need more info on that.

While we discuss Benghazi for the umpteenth time, let’s discuss Trump freeing thousands of Taliban jihaddis. This cuts both ways. In any case, Benghazi was thoroughly covered, including all of your hated MSM outlets.

Next, we come to lefties saying 9-11 was an inside job (despicable). The next sentence says they were lawfared? I’m not sure what to make of this, unless you meant these are two different groups of people.

I was genuinely curious about 9-11 conspiracists. The polls I’m linking shows disturbing numbers of people think 9-11 was a hoax. Shockingly (I kid), more Republicans believe this than Democrats. There are bunch of other conspiracies polled - most show what the AM talk show radio-ization of Republicans has done to their brains.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789 and Kbee3

GOR, the conspiracy guy, is now spinning a conspiracy theory about how I post. Too funny. If I were sadistic, I would've waited 9 more days to respond, but I'm not. I simply got busy with disc golf, weather, concerts, travel, eating with friends and general life and didn't get around to responding until today, especially since I knew I wanted to respond, but also knew putting the response together would take a bit of time.

With regard to the list of conspiracies Jones has spread, what more do you need than his words? Do you not believe he said the things he's been recorded saying? Do you think he's been a deep AI fake for decades (before deep fakes were a thing)? Maybe start with watching the HBO documentary on Sandy Hook, which shows countless clips of heinous things he said about those tragic murders of children and how he attacked the parents of those children mercilessly and egging on his followers in threatening to kill these parents, making their lives a living hell. Or even just a summary of what he said (link below). The defamation findings were spot on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/ente...ex-jones-hbo-sandy-hook-shooting/73091533007/

And then your post goes completely off the rails with a Trump-esque word salad full of nonsense. Point, by point.
  • Why would I even bring TS and the debate into this? They're completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand, unless one lives in your world, I guess. Although I'm happy to see you agree about who won the debate.
  • "None of you are trustworthy" - exaggerate much? Find any lies I've posted and get back to me.
  • I actually hold the Constitution in high regard and am far more libertarian than liberal - what constitutional rights do you think I am endangering or against? Hint - there are none.
  • Also, what "brand of hate" have I spread? Calling out Alex Jones as a lunatic conspiracy nut isn't hatred, it's simple facts.
  • I have zero idea how many on the left or right said 911 was an inside job (two sources I looked at said it was fairly evenly split), but anyone who did is a complete fukktard of the highest order. Do you not recall me and AlbanyKnight arguing about that for weeks several years ago, with me debunking every one of his looney theories he found on the web? https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/jeffrey-epstein-dead.171335/page-8#post-3969547
  • And you close with even more nuttiness about me being an "ally" of the far left - I'm a bit left of center, but nobody I know has ever said I'm on the far left, except a few of you from the CE board who are so far right that anyone, even RINOs, would look far left to them.
  • There are plenty of nutty folks on the far left, too, but right now, they're far less dangerous than the ones on the far right who have been pushing the ridiculous lies about a stolen election and the 1/6 traitors being heroes and who seem ready to follow their leader into a bigoted autocratic America. I want the center to regain its strength, so the nuts on the far right and left can recede back into the fringes of society where they belong.

A ret Naval officer I met in New Jersey named Richard Sears wrote The Last Epic Naval Battle: Voices from Leyte Gulf. He presents facinating detail of circumstance, strategy and tactics. It seems a more proficient Navy by this point with Midway a big balls operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
blah blah blah

Barack Obama spread conspiracy theories that the biggest terrorist threat to this nation is US Veterans but no one sued him to bankruptcy for death threats real or imaginary. Obama put a guy in jail spreading a conspiracy theory that his youtube video caused widespread violence in the Arab world coalescing in the Benghazi "protest" that turned violent. No one criminalized quoting Obama on any of his interviews or speeches. No one made sure that anyone publishing anything he said or daring to agree with him on anything should be cancelled and put out of business.

This is about free speech. And here you guys go, yet again, trying to suppress even teh idea that anyone should go watch Tucker Carlson interviews and specifically with Alex Jones.. which is what I suggested that started this whole thing.

You prove my point with every reply. So please, keep it up.. keep it coming.

Paranoid lies about Obama. Bizarre stuff, man.

I get some of the arguments against the so-called liberal media (only to a point; there are plenty of mainstream right-wing media outlets). The right-wingers too often turn to the most insane, absurd conspiracy theorists for "news". I think they do this to "get the libs". Sadly, this is the AM talk radio-ization that has melted so many minds.

I'm surprised you haven't blamed Obama or Clinton for 9-11.

Keep defending Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson and Laura Loomer (hoo boy - what a nutter she is). You can do that - this is America. But because this is America, I can continue pointing out the extremity of their POVs.

I get some of the arguments against the so-called liberal media (only to a point; there are plenty of mainstream right-wing media outlets). The right-wingers too often turn to the most insane, absurd conspiracy theorists for "news". I think they do this to "get the libs". Sadly, this is the AM talk radio-ization that has melted so many minds.

Keep defending Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson and Laura Loomer (hoo boy - what a nutter she is). You can do that - this is America. But because this is America, I can continue pointing out the extremity of their POVs.

A lot of this depends on your definition of "mainstream", but by my definition with respect to television:

Conservative - Fox
Liberal - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN and MSNBC

You can call Fox "Far Right" but at a minimum that's matched by MSNBC as "Far Left"

Reactions: vic_torre42
A lot of this depends on your definition of "mainstream", but by my definition with respect to television:

Conservative - Fox
Liberal - ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN and MSNBC

You can call Fox "Far Right" but at a minimum that's matched by MSNBC as "Far Left"
Seriously ?
Most conservatives laugh at Fox.
Normal-ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, and MSNBC.

blah blah blah

Barack Obama spread conspiracy theories that the biggest terrorist threat to this nation is US Veterans but no one sued him to bankruptcy for death threats real or imaginary. Obama put a guy in jail spreading a conspiracy theory that his youtube video caused widespread violence in the Arab world coalescing in the Benghazi "protest" that turned violent. No one criminalized quoting Obama on any of his interviews or speeches. No one made sure that anyone publishing anything he said or daring to agree with him on anything should be cancelled and put out of business.

This is about free speech. And here you guys go, yet again, trying to suppress even teh idea that anyone should go watch Tucker Carlson interviews and specifically with Alex Jones.. which is what I suggested that started this whole thing.

You prove my point with every reply. So please, keep it up.. keep it coming.

TayTay>Ted Nugent

Lies about Obama? Where the hell have you been?

2009 - Obama's DHS issues warning about veterans and domestic terrorism

2016 - The man Obama admin blamed for Benghazi

No lies there. Nice gaslighting attempt.

What about every Democrat who called January 6th an insurrection? You think there's no risk to life in jail? Dems use their conspiracy theories alongside the power of the US Government.

Nothing to see there. Keep it going. Keep proving my point.

Lies about Obama? Where the hell have you been?

2009 - Obama's DHS issues warning about veterans and domestic terrorism

2016 - The man Obama admin blamed for Benghazi

No lies there. Nice gaslighting attempt.

What about every Democrat who called January 6th an insurrection? You think there's no risk to life in jail? Dems use their conspiracy theories alongside the power of the US Government.

Nothing to see there. Keep it going. Keep proving my point.

You are seriously defending a nut job who produced a video called the Innocence of Bin Laden?

And the warning about potentially dangerous veterans was released by DHS. Get a grip, man.

Jan 6 was an insurrection. Pathetic as these things can go, but still an Insurrection.

You are seriously defending a nut job who produced a video called the Innocence of Bin Laden?

And the warning about potentially dangerous veterans was released by DHS. Get a grip, man.

Jan 6 was an insurrection. Pathetic as these things can go, but still an Insurrection.
Yeah. I am defending a man wrongly blamed for American deaths in Benghazi in order for politicians to avoid blame for their inaction and actions.

Yes. I am defending free speech.. even ugly free speech.

Guess that makes me a radical these days instead of a traditional ACLU supporter from 40-50 years ago.

You also have no idea what an insurrection is. This claim to own the language by your side.. it is just so Orwellian of you.

Keep 'em coming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT