ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Mulcahy #99 on ESPN's final 2019 rankings

going to see a lot of pick and roll with paul at the point

So strictly per this list, ESPN has 15 PGs rated higher than him, he comes in at #16. I wonder how many of those are true pass-first PGs? Let's say for the heck of it, half are. Well then at least per ESPN, he's in pretty good company by having only 7 or 8 pass-first PGs rated higher than him. A lot of speculation and opinion of course, but still fun to look at.

Here are the last 3 years of ESPN'S rankings or Top 100 by conference from 2017 to 2019. It doesn't account for transfers in or out, injuries, coaching changes.

12 B1G
13 Pac 12
16 SEC
18 ACC
9 Big East
10 Big 12
6 AAC
3 (Gonzaga)
1 (UMass)
11 Uncommitted

18 B1G
17 Pac
20 SEC
18 ACC
6 Big East
13 Big 12
0 AAC
1 (Gonzaga)
1 St Louis (A-10)
1 Rhode island (A-10)
1 Western Kentucky
1 Nevada (Mountain West)
1 Northern Iowa
2 Uncommitted

13 B1G
19 Pac
25 SEC
21 ACC
7 Big East
10 Big 12
0 AAC
2 St Louis
1 Western Kentucky
1 UNLV
1 Uncommitted

Great for RU, but still a long way to go. For example, UConn has three (3) top-100 commitments on this list.

A top 100 player in 2019 shouldn't be looking at Rutgers. Let's be real honest with ourselves and our place in the college basketball world. that doesn't mean this won't change.

When Paul was recruited he wasn't a Top 100 player. We will finally get to where we want to be with Pikiell landing kids like Harper and Mulcahy (hopefully) who are under the radar.

Get more wins on the court, get that practice facility finished, PAC the RAC every game and then Rutgers becomes a place where a Top 100 player should rightfully consider.

I think we are on the right track.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
How about that kids Precious from the Bronx. Still unsigned, 6-9 PF? Rutgers not on his list. Illinois, Cuse?? We ever try to get him?

Great for RU, but still a long way to go. For example, UConn has three (3) top-100 commitments on this list.

I have stated for years how inaccurate ratings are....my guess is 33% of players at this level, never play meaningful games or minutes at their initial school.

UConn has better players every year, what their doing with them, is a whole other topic....that goes for a host of other schools.

A top 100 player in 2019 shouldn't be looking at Rutgers. Let's be real honest with ourselves and our place in the college basketball world. that doesn't mean this won't change.

When Paul was recruited he wasn't a Top 100 player. We will finally get to where we want to be with Pikiell landing kids like Harper and Mulcahy (hopefully) who are under the radar.

Get more wins on the court, get that practice facility finished, PAC the RAC every game and then Rutgers becomes a place where a Top 100 player should rightfully consider.

Paul was a Top-100 guy at various times during his recruitment and was offered by multiple high majors. Over a 2-3 year period his ranking was all over the place from 80-140, and he had in home visits from multiple power 5 schools. I get your point, but Paul isnt really "under the radar."

Harper wasn't as highly rated or as well known in the state as mulcahy..when mulcahy committed most felt he was our highest touted prospect in years and the gem of those pikiell has landed so far for the program.

If Paul, at the time he committed to Rutgers, was really viewed as a Top 100 kid he'd be playing at Florida or Villanova. Paul's stock has either increased OR he really isn't a Top 100 payer.

If Paul, at the time he committed to Rutgers, was really viewed as a Top 100 kid he'd be playing at Florida or Villanova. Paul's stock has either increased OR he really isn't a Top 100 payer.
Nice confidence. Phil Sellers was a top ten player out of high school and he chose us over just about everyone. Gonzaga was a nobody and then suddenly they were on the map because of recruiting players with bigger offers. Anything can happen.

Greene

How about actually that Paul, Ron, and Montez ...all four star recruits ...really are 4 star recruits and want to be here because they actually buy in to what Steve is building?

Really, we are a big ten school. Why is it impossible to belief that they are of that ability, believe in themselves, and actually want to be the type of kids to be remembered as “the ones who put Rutgers basketball back on the map”

Let’s have a lot more of “why not”
And a bit less of “why”

Maybe these schools actually have recruited Top 40 to 80 kids and have done so consistently enough, that a Top 100 kid is beyond their reach.

Or let's look at it this way.

There are dozens of Power 5 schools "cherry picking" kids that in all instances are kids outside the Top 300 rankings, because they had a great freshman season at a mid or low major.....12PPG, 14PPG or in some cases, outperformed kids that are 4 and 5 star kids on their own rosters.

It is more likely that a kid is poorly evaluated than correctly evaluated. I think most of the kids we have landed falls into a category of undervalued or poorly ranked or evaluated, otherwise the wins in conference would not be going up.

The eyes can certainly tell you more than the rankings can.

GRF, What do you have against Paul? He played almost in your own back yard yet you NEVER say anything nice about him. You went to RU yet you are always putting us down. What kind of fan are you? You are Mr. Negative if I ever heard one.

Nothing against him at all.

I am a realist. I like to look at things objectively despite being a fan.

I am very happy he is here.

Doesn’t change the fact that he wasn’t coming to Rutgers this time last year because he had his sights on better programs.

Rutgers track record with 4 star recruits is very bad. Not a coincidence and is logical.

I have been saying for the past 5+ years we need to stop recruiting from the 4 star pool and be realistic of what we are and recruit accordingly. Tough to win with bad attitudes or athletic kids who can’t shoot or kids who don’t like to play D or kids 5’9’’

I am very happy he is here.

Doesn’t change the fact that he wasn’t coming to Rutgers this time last year because he had his sights on better programs.
Not sure that's what I'd call a "fact." Rumor was his dad had his sights on bigger programs and was keeping Paul from committing

Rutgers track record with 4 star recruits is very bad. Not a coincidence and is logical.

I have been saying for the past 5+ years we need to stop recruiting from the 4 star pool and be realistic of what we are and recruit accordingly. Tough to win with bad attitudes or athletic kids who can’t shoot or kids who don’t like to play D or kids 5’9’’

What the hell are you talking about. You make one good assistant hire and one or two top 100 guys fall in your lap. You act like pikiell has to out recruit duke for a guy in the 80s lol.

What the hell are you talking about. You make one good assistant hire and one or two top 100 guys fall in your lap. You act like pikiell has to out recruit duke for a guy in the 80s lol.

Depends on your definition of good. Good may be BAD.

Last edited:
It's not like a misallocation of resources has cost Pikiell targets in the 100-150 range (Mathis, Harper, Mulcahy) or kept him from targeting some other under the radar guys (Johnson, McConnell). I think they have a pretty good plan.

I like 75-200 level guys.

Mathis has incredible tools. He has potential. I worry though he may fit the “typical Rutgers 4 star guy”

He is the guy, to me, development is crucial this year. Both from a skill and maturity standpoint.

Sounds like a loser mentality to me - sorry.

Sounds like a loser mentality to me - sorry.

Few months ago I listed all of our 4 star recruits over the years. Our batting average was very low with them,

I don't think we are that far away to be a realistic destination for a top tier high school player.

Few months ago I listed all of our 4 star recruits over the years. Our batting average was very low with them,

I don't think we are that far away to be a realistic destination for a top tier high school player.
Our best player last year was a 4 star recruit. When was the last time a 3 star recruit or lower was the best player on our team? Eli Carter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT