ADVERTISEMENT

Pedestrian Bridge over River Road to Johnson Park

Yes imagine this but with a big Welcome to the State University of New Jersey .. RUTGERS” on it

w489c3.jpg

^^^This^^^

There are lots of people.. on good days at least.. that cross from Johnson Park over to the South Entrance. I preferred that walkway up the hill between the stadium and the Corneilius Lowe house.. which is now called the Metlar-Bodine House Museum for some reason.. vanity I'd assume. The entrance to that path is right at the RR-LL intersection and comes out in the Hale Center Lot. Bring a flashlight for night games or games ending in the dark.
Two separate houses.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
I think the temporary solution from CP that another poster mentioned has merit. And yes, someone or some entity may sponsor that for game days. I don’t think a permanent bridge in that area is necessary.

If the issue is just foot traffic on game days why doesn't Pisky force traffic northbound on River Rd to Landing Lane. And only allow local access southbound on River Rd. from 287(?) six days a year.

No car traffic past the front of the stadium. Enter parking from other entrances.

If the issue is just foot traffic on game days why doesn't Pisky force traffic northbound on River Rd to Landing Lane. And only allow local access southbound on River Rd. from 287(?) six days a year.

No car traffic past the front of the stadium. Enter parking from other entrances.
I don't think any of that is an improvement. River Rd is very busy on gamedays and you're basically suggesting it to shut it down. Imagine the backlash from people parking in the Scarlet Lot coming from east of the stadium if you tell them they'll have to get on 18 and pass all of the other lots to get onto Busch, and then sit in the traffic jam and pass all of them again as they drive through the entire campus to get to their lot, or go across the river and take Easton Ave all the way up to 287 to get to River Rd. Diverting everyone on the Highland Park side of River Road to Landing Lane would be a nightmare.

I used to have my seats next to one of the higher ups in the transportation department for RU -- when I asked about when we might see a pedestrian overpass from the park his response was a VERY firm "never."

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
In terms of a model this bridge is just down the street from my place in Providence. The Providence River Pedestrian Bridge
It is a awesome amenity to the city. Roughly of the scale of what in my widest dreams we'd have at the Raritan.
It was crazy expensive and no private money was spent.
Like NJ there is a big unofficial featherbedding tax in RI.
Original estimate $2 million. Came in at $21.9

Fall2021_0436_CLEARED_standard_medium_865873db-1516-41cb-8620-c88901213d57.jpg

images

In terms of a model this bridge is just down the street from my place in Providence. The Providence River Pedestrian Bridge
It is a awesome amenity to the city. Roughly of the scale of what in my widest dreams we'd have at the Raritan.
It was crazy expensive and no private money was spent.
Like NJ there is a big unofficial featherbedding tax in RI.
Original estimate $2 million. Came in at $21.9

Fall2021_0436_CLEARED_standard_medium_865873db-1516-41cb-8620-c88901213d57.jpg

images
Pretty cool looking, but $2 million vs. $21.9 million? Wow! Did you mean it was originally estimated at $20 million?

I don't think any of that is an improvement. River Rd is very busy on gamedays and you're basically suggesting it to shut it down. Imagine the backlash from people parking in the Scarlet Lot coming from east of the stadium if you tell them they'll have to get on 18 and pass all of the other lots to get onto Busch, and then sit in the traffic jam and pass all of them again as they drive through the entire campus to get to their lot, or go across the river and take Easton Ave all the way up to 287 to get to River Rd. Diverting everyone on the Highland Park side of River Road to Landing Lane would be a nightmare.
Hoes Lane at one end and the bottom of 18 at the other.

This would only work if Johnson Park would guarantee itself not to be a swimming pool throughout the Fall so it can be a legitimate parking option.

No thru traffic from Hoes, just Scarlet and Green.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT