ADVERTISEMENT

Per NJ.com, Hafley emerging as top candidate.

To be honest, I really want an offensive guru. Even if we're losing to the top teams in the league for a few years, lighting up the scoreboard will put asses in the seats.
LIGHT UP THE SCORE BOARD. ! de ja vous .Those are the exact words that Terry Shea wrote me when he responded to a welcoming not I sent him when he was hired"KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE SCORE BOARD,WE ARE GOING TO LIGHT IT UP."

Ohio state is smart. If they like him he won't leave. They will give him a bump in salary. Convince him to wait another few years for a better job. Telling him he's crazy to join this shit show/career suicide. When it was ASHhole who they did NOT want to keep, they said, " man AShe what a great opportunity for U", & then took our top guy Schiano. And then gave us a skinny QB who was not any good. Thanks Urban & Ohio State!

it would be a riot if he did the same thing Ash did, coming here after the bowl game...

I think we should make it mandatory that he come aboard before.....

Reactions: APKnight
it would be a riot if he did the same thing Ash did, coming here after the bowl game...

I think we should make it mandatory that he come aboard before.....
There is one huge difference that could be a factor in that. Hafley already knows all the NJ HS coaches. Knows them better than Ash does now, after coaching here for years. He wouldn't have to build relationships. He's already months ahead.

Doesn't matter who comes here. Hobbs destroyed every relationship with every influential donor and the vast majority of season ticket holders. Both of which have cut off their financial support of this program which will make it impossible for anybody to succeed here. There is no private support anymore. Go back and get Greg and fire Hobbs. It's the only way to save this athletic department

Reactions: MR RU
There is one huge difference that could be a factor in that. Hafley already knows all the NJ HS coaches. Knows them better than Ash does now, after coaching here for years. He wouldn't have to build relationships. He's already months ahead.
imagine you and the boys having permanent Scarlet Parking :)

IMHO its recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. If the coach can recruit, he doesn't need to be the best game day coach to get 5-6 wins. If the coach can recruit, is fired for another reason, there is still a solid base for the next coach. Take Maryland. Durkin's classes were ranked 41, 18 and 28. Durkin's gone, but Locksley has something to work with. Compare that to our situation where our last three classes were ranked 42, 56 and 65 (and there are only 65 "power 5" schools). That has to change. There were reasons other than recruiting to hire Schiano, but at this point I want someone who can re-stock the program with talent. Who is the best person who can put together the best staff to get the recruiting classes ranked in the top 35 by year 3? I don't know that a staff of Hafley/A.Camp/N.Camp can turn around the recruiting situation, but its not obvious to me that anyone else mentioned would be able to do it either.

“But if Rutgers can offer the level of salary and support it was ready to pledge to Schiano before negotiations break apart, the Scarlet Knights should have a chance to land the well-respected assistant.”

This quote from the article is very meaningful!

In addition, I would suggest that the jump from position coach at a school with virtually unlimited resources to a head coaching job at a school with abundant issues (which would challenge even the most experienced candidate) might not be advisable and would be the eqivelent of kicking the can down the road for the next athletic director and head coach to clean up in 3 to 5 years! Also, getting the right guy is much more important than announcing after the Penn State game!

A little late here but where were all of these Anti Hafley/ Anti P5 DC people around 1999?

If he is a good recruiter, then I approve.
Rutgers needs a good recruiter over a good coach.
Good players make a CFB coach look good.
Even Ash could take the current OSU to the playoffs...easily.
CFB is not about coaching, but recruiting.
NFL is all about coaching.
Go it.
Now get this guy.

Reactions: APKnight
I always thought it was Hafley's destiny to lead RU one day. This would be a little sooner than I anticipated though

Reactions: tico brown
Anyone can recruit to Ohio State.
Yeah, but Hafley also recruited to RU. So he knows how to recruit to a great program competing with Alabama for players and he also knows how to recruit to a program like RU.

Not saying he's ideal. But if the over-the-top response to the Schiano non-hiring has poisoned the well for better qualified, experienced coaches, we might be lucky to get him.

Reactions: JQRU91
Yeah, but Hafley also recruited to RU. So he knows how to recruit to a great program competing with Alabama for players and he also knows how to recruit to a program like RU.

Not saying he's ideal. But if the over-the-top response to the Schiano non-hiring has poisoned the well for better qualified, experienced coaches, we might be lucky to get him.

He recurited to RU in 2011 after the team went to 5 bowl games and had winning seasons and Greg Schiano was the head coach.

He would now have to recruit for the worst P5 school in the country with a head coach with 0 track record.

Those are two different sells.

NJ HS kids would play for him

...unlike mid western Ash with no juice whatsoever

He recurited to RU in 2011 after the team went to 5 bowl games and had winning seasons and Greg Schiano was the head coach.

He would now have to recruit for the worst P5 school in the country with a head coach with 0 track record.

He's not my ideal tier 1 candidate. And even among tier 2 candidates, I would prefer an offensive genius to a defensive genius.

But the crazy public response to not hiring Schiano may well have destroyed any chance for us to get a qualified, experienced, head coach here.

We can pay him a bit less than what we offered Schiano, and put the difference towards the assistant budget. Everybody seems like Hafley, and he's been around a lot of good coaches, which would help him recruit great assistants. Including, hopefully, a great offensive coordinator which we haven't had since the Fridge.

Look, I'm just trying to stay positive. Unlike others, I'm not abandoning my support for RU.

]

Just like 1999

Reactions: MoobyCow
Could be a decent to good hire, but I'm not sure RU can afford to gamble on another 'rising' assistant. Not sure getting a Hafley signals to the fans & recruits that RU is in it to win, not just cashing a B1G check. I'm also a bit worried about the Co-DC thing. He still hasn't been a lone DC, so no telling how much input he has on the OSU defense & how much he's been involved in defensive scheming. Sure, he has the chops as a defensive secondary coach, but can he put it all together, at least on the defensive side of the ball?

I'm also worried he might not have the connections to get the best staff for the budget available. I don't need a staff like OSU or Bama, but given the budget that GS was alloted, I worry he won't have the pull to get close to the caliber GS could have gotten. We can't afford another Drew M or friends of Ash group. Can he get a Matt Canada or similar on his staff?

Has done a better job coaching the same kids GS had the last three years. Younger, hungry and doesn’t have the monumental ego. Both him and Beliem are better coaches then Greg.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
Doesn't matter who comes here. Hobbs destroyed every relationship with every influential donor and the vast majority of season ticket holders. Both of which have cut off their financial support of this program which will make it impossible for anybody to succeed here. There is no private support anymore. Go back and get Greg and fire Hobbs. It's the only way to save this athletic department

Your post does not seem correct at least as to the top donors. One is on the BOG and it seems was fully on board with Hobbs' decision re Schiano.

Reactions: RUin2WIN
Does Pitt also? Cause he was known as a dynamite recruiter there also. And while he was at RU.

Hafley was one of the best recruiters we've had at Pitt in the last 15 years. Ray Graham, Dion Lewis, Jason Hendricks, TJ Clemmings, Bryan Murphy -- a lot of Jersey guys came to Pitt when it was Hafley's turf.

I don't know how he is as a secondary coach but I think the main thing is you'd be hiring a known recruiter with in-state connections who also knows the Big 10. Seems like a good hire on its face. I do think you'd need a pretty serious investment in an offensive coordinator and facilities too if he helps save you some money vs. a Schiano, but you know more about that than me.

And he crushed Schiano and his staff in recruiting when he was at Pitt and Rutgers had those same attributes to sell. This board was going apoplectic about it at the time.

Put down your Schiano glasses and watch his intro presser at OSU please. Watch it all. I posted this on the pay board yesterday. I would love to hire him over Butch Jones or pretty much any other candidate we have available to us. He can recruit his damn ass off and is a big reason why Greg got credit for a top 25 recruiting class in 2012.

I'm intrigued. How interested is he in the job?

He will now have to go out and sell recruits on an unproven coach, coaching a team that is considered the worst P5 team playing in the hardest conference in the country. That is a monumental sell.

And outside of Schiano that makes him different than the other guys mentioned as candidates how?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT