ADVERTISEMENT

Pernetti

With all due respect, the idea that Rutgers, a school that was passed over by the ACC in 2005 for Miami, BC and Cuse and again passed over in 2009 by the B1G for Nebraska, was somehow a "no brainer" for the B1G is laughable.

So, I'll simply type: Thanks Tim for your vision and all your work to get us here!
Not true. Neither conference was equipped to monetize RU back then. The B1G started its network first and only then did RU make financial sense. Yes, it became a no brainer for the B1G.

Reactions: Plum Street
It was an awful hire

I called it at the time of hire.
What we did to Gary was shameful.
I would love to hear this . Gary was the one that gave the final blessing and OK to put hill on staff . If he had a problem with it , he should have said no or fire me. Everything that was ever said or reported on that program at the time was that Gary was a fan of the hire and douby had a breakout junior season because of hill
Now what I did hear was that after Fred was named head coach he put enormous pressure on the douby camp and ringels to basically say Douby wasn’t going to go pro until after recruits committed. Hill hoped this would bolster recruring. I think it might have been for lance thomas and his buddy.
All this did was piss off the douby camp to no end

Hill was a great assistant coach and great recruiter. He was great at working out players. Unfortunately sucked at being the head guy.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I called it at the time of hire.
What we did to Gary was shameful.
yes it was, but he was losing the support of the fanbase and needed to be replaced.
The excuse, when RU tried to to can him was not the truth and that's what made the way he left shameful on 'Mulcahy's part..
Water accepted a buyout at the end of season saying he wanted to go back to the Midwest because wasn't a good fit at RU.
Class act by Gary , allowing RU and Mulcahy to save face and claim his leaving had nothing to do with missing the game
(“I want to dispel any notion that Coach Waters’ resignation was due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his missing our game with Marquette,” Mulcahy said. “That is simply not true.”)
NY Post
https://nypost.com/2006/03/02/waters-leaving-ru/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT