ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the Lineup

Racpack

Senior
Jan 21, 2012
Speculation is that we open the season the first weekend in January with a Quad at the RAC including Princeton. Drexel, and Binghamton. Who do predict for our starting line-up? Let's make predictions prior to the tourney in Nebraska this weekend. Here are my predictions
Aguilar, Suriano, Rivera, Vulakh, Van Brill, Donner, Grello, Polanski, Janzer, McDermott

Aguilar, Alvarez, Rivera, Vulakh, Van Brill, Donner, Grello, Poz, Janzer, McDermott

Suriano, Alvarez, Rivera, Vulakh, Van Brill, Kanniard, Grello, Poz, Janzer, McDermott
If we start with a quad we’ll see 2/3 of the roster get a match so I don’t think we’ll see a true starting lineup for a while. I do agree that this is the most likely, though I wouldn’t be surprised if Colucci starts over McDermott

Surprised about Van Brill at ‘49. No convinced about Kinniard. Also wouldn’t sleep on Donner. O’Neil is frosh and not on the level of Poz.

Interesting that everyone picked Vulakh over Aragona, and also MVB, as he's listed at 149 with Kanniard at 157: https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2020/11/...neup-plans-sebastian-riveras-impact-more.html. Will O'Neill beat Donner for 165? Goodale called our McDermott to get better conditioned and stronger.
-I guess Aragona thought he was cutting too much last year but not unexpected. I forgot free year for everyone so why not wrestle.

-Had no idea MVB decided to start cutting weight again didn't work out so well last time and he looked good at B1G's and late in season at 157. I guess that plan is scraped

-I thought the bump up for Kanniard to 165 at the end of the season on the open circuit was part of the plan for him to go 165 this year. I guess that plan didn't work out seemed to at the NCO. If it's O'Neil or Donner that'll be a below .500 weight with mostly B1G schedule.

-McDermott, eh it's still early with this whole Covid fiasco going on. Seems Goodale's trying to light a fire under his ass, still think he has a lot more upside than Colluci.

-

Last edited:
Interesting that everyone picked Vulakh over Aragona, and also MVB, as he's listed at 149 with Kanniard at 157: https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2020/11/...neup-plans-sebastian-riveras-impact-more.html. Will O'Neill beat Donner for 165? Goodale called our McDermott to get better conditioned and stronger.
I don’t think anyone knew MVB was going 149. Interesting direction for a senior to go. I think 149 is deeper in the big 10 than 157 is but maybe MVB is significantly stronger at that weight.

Donner will fight but 157 is definitely going to be our weakest weight. Maybe Oneill takes it from him.

Too many questions outstanding to come even close to predicting a line-up. And I think the predictions so far have been based on other weight assignments.

Vulakh and Aragona both at 149? I won't say anything about getting out from bottom. I won't. My questions: can Vulakh come back strong after a whole year nursing a bad back? Will his back hold out? Aragona will have bigger guys on him (see, I didn't say it). Aragona was the bigger name coming into the program at a lower weight. Is Vulakh comfortable at 149? Wait, now MVB is at 149? My guess is he goes back to 157.

Can Kanniard cut back to 157 without losing strength? If MVB goes back to 157, any reason to expect a different result? Then, maybe Kanniard retreats to 165 where the competition will be interesting.

O'Neill beating Donner would be a surprise but also a very good indication of his potential.

184 and 197 are both without question.

HWT: McDermott isn't with the Jr. program anymore; if he needs to be pushed to get into shape, that's not good. We can't expect much if he's out there sucking wind in the final period.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Interesting that everyone picked Vulakh over Aragona, and also MVB, as he's listed at 149 with Kanniard at 157: https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2020/11/...neup-plans-sebastian-riveras-impact-more.html. Will O'Neill beat Donner for 165? Goodale called out McDermott to get better conditioned and stronger.
Bc was assuming Aragona would RS this year ,however, seems like this will be a free year for everyone.. so he def can win 149 spot depending how much he improved(hoping working out with c-bass makes big impact)

I’m surprised how crowded 149 is and the article makes it sound so clear cut kanniard will be 157 starter... wouldn’t it make sense for whoever doesn’t win 149 to also wrestle off for 157 or did kanniard separate himself that much?

Depending on how good O’Neil is, it just makes more sense to me, that to field our best lineup, we possibly have kanniard at 165 even and a combo of Angelo/Aragona/MVB/Vulak man 149/157??

Glad Goodale called out Mcderomott.. this will cool down some of the expectations/hype w/ hwt.. looking like a borderline qualifier weight unless someone can separate themself.

Will be interesting what weight suriano chooses..if he goes 125 I really feel he has a better shot, then most would think, at beating Lee. Bc 1. Suriano wrestled Lee not fully healthy the first time 2. Suriano avenged all his losses en route to 133 title..3. C-bass beat Lee twice, and guess who his new teammate/workout partner is?? :D

If suriano chooses 33 I’m curious if Alvarez can make drop effectively to 125 or will Aguilar be able to keep the spot.

Last edited:
I’d be surprised if Suriano doesn’t go 125. He’s beaten everyone he’s ever faced except for Lee. It’s the only thing he has left to prove.

Reactions: bigmatt718
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT