ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting NJ

Doesn't look very promising. "I live in Plainfield, which is very close to Rutgers. I had an offer from coach Stringer and throughout the years had become very close with the coaching staff. I’ve gone to Midnight Madness, and football and women’s basketball games and been on campus numerous times. I don’t know much about Coach Washington and I don’t have an offer from her.”

Reactions: toby83 and ho26rus
Doesn't look very promising. "I live in Plainfield, which is very close to Rutgers. I had an offer from coach Stringer and throughout the years had become very close with the coaching staff. I’ve gone to Midnight Madness, and football and women’s basketball games and been on campus numerous times. I don’t know much about Coach Washington and I don’t have an offer from her.”
Part of me is upset that Washington didn’t get on this. The other gets logical and think these recruits need something to say. I suspect she wasn’t coming anyway

Like I just posted somewhere else, someone like Sarah Baumgardner might have been in these kids homes reassuring the families. If we can't field enough bodies for games, and scrimmages this will be ugly fast. Can these ladies that play other varsity sports fill in?

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Like I just posted somewhere else, someone like Sarah Baumgardner might have been in these kids homes reassuring the families. If we can't field enough bodies for games, and scrimmages this will be ugly fast. Can these ladies that play other varsity sports fill in?
I don’t think there is a provision that bars them from training with non scholarship males

I think we all may be in a bit of panic mode because of the silence, but if it's any comfort, I have faith that Coquese will work things out for this upcoming season.
LOL I know some will say...Yeah!, you were singing that tune this time last year about CVS' LOA. Yes, I will continue to believe that things will work out just fine for RUWBB. The foundational steps have been in place for the last few years and I felt like CVS would either take us to the next level or move on. She had her opportunity, as I always said she deserved, couldn't get it done, and now we are moving on. Whether we get top recruits next week or six months from now, we will get them. The foundation and quality coach that we have selected offer too much to go unnoticed. We just have to be a little patient.

As we all know, this lull is more about timing than it is about desirability of RU as a destination. I think she can get serviceable pieces from the portal to go with what we already have.

Maybe it's the lawyer in her, that she won't release anything until everything's official. 😉

Reactions: Scarletwoman
I am not worried that CW will get a coaching staff together and field a team. Regardless of how it is put together, I don't have much hope for great success this season. Sorry, I don't. But that's OK, Viv's first season following TG wasn't exactly great, and a small roster was I think an issue as well as not having "her" recruits.

I think we all may be in a bit of panic mode because of the silence, but if it's any comfort, I have faith that Coquese will work things out for this upcoming season.
LOL I know some will say...Yeah!, you were singing that tune this time last year about CVS' LOA. Yes, I will continue to believe that things will work out just fine for RUWBB. The foundational steps have been in place for the last few years and I felt like CVS would either take us to the next level or move on. She had her opportunity, as I always said she deserved, couldn't get it done, and now we are moving on. Whether we get top recruits next week or six months from now, we will get them. The foundation and quality coach that we have selected offer too much to go unnoticed. We just have to be a little patient.

As we all know, this lull is more about timing than it is about desirability of RU as a destination. I think she can get serviceable pieces from the portal to go with what we already have.

Maybe it's the lawyer in her, that she won't release anything until everything's official. 😉
Don't take this the wrong way and I appreciate your enthusiasm but not I'm quite sure why your faith in CW would provide any comfort to anyone.

😆😆 Maybe.....or you could just say that I like to accentuate the positive. Things could be a lot worse.
Crazee....actually, things could not be much worse. Having said that, your posts are the only things here that can comfort anyone right now...other than we extended an offer to an 8th grader! Love your positivity....hope it's rewarded and you and Coach just want to give us all the good news at one time!! Go RU! Go RUcrazee!!!

Reactions: RUcrazee
Well,........At least we have this countdown to be excited about. Keeping my fingers crossed that she can be the initial building block for CW that serves as the catalyst for our program's restoration back to a top25 regular.

Looking at her list of schools, I think we have a good shot. Of course, that's provided Coquese has reached out to her following Zoe's recruitment update in the article a few days ago.

BC, Georgetown, Miami, Miss. St., NC St., Penn St., SHall, USC, Syr, W.Virginia, and Rutgers

NC St is already elite has 3 or 4 players who will get the bulk of the minutes at guard and sm forward spots for the next few years.

Miami, USC, and Syr are the programs from this list currently enjoying upward momentum and/or renewed excitement from new coach and promising incoming transfers/recruits.

Miami is loaded with guards, Syracuse is a roster full of guards, USC is set at the guard/sf spots.

I would think we'd be more appealing(if pitched right) than Gtown, SHall, and Penn St to a sure McDs AA. Miss St, and WVU are going thru coaching changes and roster rebuilds just like us. BC has a struggling new coach who just lost a lot of her best players to the portal.

This is the HUGE opportunity that we always dream and talk about for some of Jersey's elite HS athletes along with NYC/Philly/Del to make RU home and compete for Nat. Championships. Everything is set up for it. It's now up to the area's best to see this golden opportunity, team up, and get it done!!

Who knows what that situation is, so hard to jump all over the new coach, to be fair. She may have been told by CVS or others that Brooks already made up her mind elsewhere so didn't bother. Hopefully that was the case, otherwise a rough look.

Reactions: MADHAT1
Who knows what that situation is, so hard to jump all over the new coach, to be fair. She may have been told by CVS or others that Brooks already made up her mind elsewhere so didn't bother. Hopefully that was the case, otherwise a rough look.
Tough to make up for years of recruiting in 10 days. CVS delaying her retirement beyond end of season may be more detrimental to program than her not showing up to coach for the past year.

Tough to make up for years of recruiting in 10 days. CVS delaying her retirement beyond end of season may be more detrimental to program than her not showing up to coach for the past year.
Not to worry. I have it on good authority that that the delayed HC search and subsequent hiring due to the CVS situation is not a big deal.

Although possible, I can't see a good coach being willing to settle for the word of the prior coach without seeing what they might be able to accomplish. Hopefully, that is not case, because that would be an even rougher look to me.

You gotta see for yourself. Right?

Although possible, I can't see a good coach being willing to settle for the word of the prior coach without seeing what they might be able to accomplish. Hopefully, that is not case, because that would be an even rougher look to me.

Would seem very rough if you consider post #41 in this very thread. Hard to believe this program has gotten to the point it seems to be in. I really hope there is a lot going on in all this silence. The new Coach seems to be a class act. Go RU!

The lack of time for relationship building between program and recruit makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to me in this case because we just found out a couple of days ago that Zoe's announcing this week.

CW has been in place for a couple of weeks and the article about Zoe's recruitment came out a week ago. After reading that interview, It does seem like she was giving CW a chance to keep RU's name in the hat and be heavily considered.

So if CW wanted to build that relationship, she would have reached out and maybe, like one of the twitter replies suggested, if Zoe were interested in us, she would allow time for that relationship to be established and would hold off a while before announcing.

Reactions: runrutgersrun

I am really not trying to hostile or even rude. Hannah Hidalgo and Zoe Brooks made the national team. They both are clearly 1-3 in The 2023 class where we need 6-7 players and have zero commits.
I am not talking throwing out twenty offers but is two phones too daunting a task.
Only an utter fool would miss their potential.
If you miss these two there are maybe two players left in the state worth having with only 5 1/2 months to do it

thrre is no conceivable excuse not to reach out. It would not guarantee success but at least you were in the game.

Maybe Tiny Green doesn't know what they are talking about lol...not sure why Tiny would feel obligated to add their two cents in on somebody else's recruitment, now that I think about it (hope, actually!). What do I know, anyway?? Go RU!

Maybe Tiny Green doesn't know what they are talking about lol...not sure why Tiny would feel obligated to add their two cents in on somebody else's recruitment, now that I think about it (hope, actually!). What do I know, anyway?? Go RU!
Don't know Coach Tiny Green but it sounds like he wants a high paying assistant coaching job...lol

Hannah Hidalgo and Zoe Brooks made the national team.
Yes, we need to be in it to win it!

I also think we should heavily target Del Rosario along with those two. Zoe's former teammate at Trenton Catholic. Probably ranked in the top 10 in that class of '23.

Also need to be looking into Tara Johnson from Blair Academy. Saw her against Mikayla Blakes and Antonia Bates's Rutgers Prep. Tara is a very athletic guard that looked like a very promising talent.

As far as I know, she is Class of '22 and still undecided.

We could sure use a guard like her this coming season to play alongside (hopefully) Kierra S.

Not saying it's a bad idea. If he is a top Jersey AAU Coach...hire him. Maybe that's why he sent that 2nd tweet. "You want Zoe Brooks", hire me", lol
This is the point in the post where I can look pretty damn stupid. But I am hoping some here might have answers.

tiny Green runs nothing but skills but it appears he has never been a head coach anywhere. Reading their web site he appears to rate players but what he sees and then comments.

I am not sure this is old information but I thought Zoe and Hannah played for the Philadelphia Rise not him.
So while he may be right on target is there a tangible reason why his guess should carry weight

I don’t have a whole hope in landing either girl but I am not partial to people coming on Twitter, unsolicited, offering commentary as factual

so is this N opinion that I should value?

Tiny is pretty connected and there are lot of college coaches who listen to him, both D1 and D2.

he's also a little nuts, overhypes some kids that he trains to pump his business, has thin skin, and disregards other girls who don't give him the time of day.

he is however very real and offers decent insight on training, and girls HS hoops in general

Tiny is pretty connected and there are lot of college coaches who listen to him, both D1 and D2.

he's also a little nuts, overhypes some kids that he trains to pump his business, has thin skin, and disregards other girls who don't give him the time of day.

he is however very real and offers decent insight on training, and girls HS hoops in general
Thank you your synopsis is pretty easy to agree with.

Up front, I know very little about Tiny Green. Just looking at the consistent crowds of kids and AAU programs at that Rebounds facility that I think he runs, he may be better off financially with what he's doing than being our asstistant coach.

The AAU scene has always given me cause to pause when it comes to trust and ethics. Not saying Tiny fits into any of that because I don't know anything about him personally.

AAU just always seemed like the ground level of the business of exploiting the young talent. There always seemed to be lots of sharks circling around looking to act as the gatekeepers between the young talent and the programs that recruit them in this lucrative college basketball world. I've never gotten too close to that whole scene so I don't know if I would feel differently about what's happening there nowadays.

Very accurate description. Good guy if you are on his side. Worst nightmare if you are not.

Guess Tiny knew what he was talking about. Looks pretty clear to me that Zoe really wanted to give us a shot and may have been leaning our way if she had only gotten an offer from CW. Danggit!

Not surprised that NC St is in her top three. Wes Moore has it going right now and seems to be able to get whoever he wants.

BC??? big surprise

Miami- a good fit for her style of play with another of my favorites down there who also played HS ball here in Jersey at the Patrick School, LaShae Dwyer.

I never heard of this young lady. However, if she is seriously interested in RU, then she would give CW an opportunity to build relationship between them.

Guess Tiny knew what he was talking about. Looks pretty clear to me that Zoe really wanted to give us a shot and may have been leaning our way if she had only gotten an offer from CW. Danggit!

Not surprised that NC St is in her top three. Wes Moore has it going right now and seems to be able to get whoever he wants.

BC??? big surprise

Miami- a good fit for her style of play with another of my favorites down there who also played HS ball here in Jersey at the Patrick School, LaShae Dwyer.
This seems like a major initial red flag against our new HC. There would seem to be no legitimate reason not to have made this player a priority given her credentials and the work put in by the prior staff. Right now seems like crickets on all fronts.

• Sad
I am really not trying to hostile or even rude. Hannah Hidalgo and Zoe Brooks made the national team. They both are clearly 1-3 in The 2023 class where we need 6-7 players and have zero commits.
I am not talking throwing out twenty offers but is two phones too daunting a task.
Only an utter fool would miss their potential.
If you miss these two there are maybe two players left in the state worth having with only 5 1/2 months to do it

thrre is no conceivable excuse not to reach out. It would not guarantee success but at least you were in the game.
X100000

Not a good look for CW in her new role. With no players in her stable you would think she would at least make a call to try a Hail Mary shot.

Reactions: runner3283
After more consideration, I can understand that possibly being the reason for CW not pursuing Zoe. She may have felt rushed in regard to getting a true evaluation of Zoe. Down the road, she may be kicking herself for not offering. But she may also be okay with going through her process.

When your job depends on it, you want to live or die with your own choices. That being said, Like everyone else here, I too would really like to know why she chose not to pursue Brooks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT