ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting NJ

After more consideration, I can understand that possibly being the reason for CW not pursuing Zoe. She may have felt rushed in regard to getting a true evaluation of Zoe. Down the road, she may be kicking herself for not offering. But she may also be okay with going through her process.

When your job depends on it, you want to live or die with your own choices. That being said, Like everyone else here, I too would really like to know why she chose not to pursue Brooks.
Got to say sorry no
She may not have been the head recruiter
, while at Notre Dame, but the school was working hard recruiting the 2023 class a she could not have been totally ignorant of one of the top three returning prospects in the state.

now even if you did not like her game she is also not pursuing Hannah Hidalgo who is arguing the top prospect.

admirable that you are supporting her but recruiting 101 is to get commits from the top players in your state

Reactions: runner3283
Got to say sorry no
She may not have been the head recruiter
, while at Notre Dame, but the school was working hard recruiting the 2023 class a she could not have been totally ignorant of one of the top three returning prospects in the state.

now even if you did not like her game she is also not pursuing Hannah Hidalgo who is arguing the top prospect.

admirable that you are supporting her but recruiting 101 is to get commits from the top players in your state
Hey, I'm with you. Zoe is a top 40 recruit probably end up even higher before she's done. Of course I'll continue to support CW at this point until some reason bares out that I shouldn't. There are a lot of other top players that she may have had her eye on for a while (like the one she extended the offer to from Illinois that she recruited while at ND).

Of course I think she should be well versed in the top recruits in NJ at this point. But who is helping her? That's the question. She does need help with the recruiting if she is struggling trying to find assistants.

I don't know if this is the norm for well-established programs to have to post the asst/recruiter jobs after a high profile coach has been hired and is up and running. It made me think she's struggling. I hope I'm wrong.

Again,....It's the timing.

She better grab Tina Thompson if they have a good relationship. and that's not a desperation move, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Zoe Brooks chose the Wolfpack. Wes is on fire right now!
We can always hope that Coach Washington is working on overall future relationships with Vianney, the Shore Area and other Jersey Parochials. I don't follow recruiting as much as I used to (and I am frequently wrong lol), but I had not heard that Rutgers was very near to Zoe Brooks' heart anyway, until this last round of chatter. Hopefully, it's a sign of better things to come. Lots of "hoping" going on in this post! Go Coach! Go RU!

As my mother used to say, “beggars can’t be choosy”. When your cupboard is bare you offer anyone who can put the ball in the hoop!

• Angry
Reactions: Scarletwoman
We need the incoming frosh Antonia Bates to do some recruiting for us. Her boyfriend is Duke bound 5* Dereck Lively.
Transfer after his freshman season not too much to ask for.

Not sure what post you're referring to. If it's the one that states, "different sport and style of play matters in basketball recruiting",....Those are reasons, not excuses, IMO.

Bottomline, ...CVS recruited everywhere there was elite talent, Jersey included. She just was not very successful over the last ten years at it (relative to the perennial elite programs). Lots of swings and misses. Her style of play was a part of it, for sure.
So a Rutgers HOF coach , who actually did have success , was mysteriously not successful recruiting in her home state for a decade? That is very telling coming from you RUcrazee. Sort of backs up what many believe …she really was a stubborn coach unwilling to change in philosophy . Men and women BB players like offense much more than defense . You need both but a decade of missing out on premier in state players is sad .

Noticed that MSG is bringing back a better coverage of NJ HS football. Right now, they are airing "The Rumble on the Raritan" at RU's stadium. Features Shore Regional vs Westwood.

Great for Schiano and the football program. The kind of marketing and media coverage that I often spoke of CVS' program needing.

Hopefully, men's and women's hoops can follow suit and host some big-time local HS games and get the same local coverage. May need to spruce up the RAC though, so potential recruits don't have the experience that Coach Washington described when she referenced coming here as PSU coach(talked about how much she hated it-locker rooms, etc).

Might also help if they made the games a memorable experience for the high schoolers and fans by energizing the RAC like they do for Midnight Madness.

Many on this board have been calling for something like this. Maybe now is the time.

Bring the powerful programs that play at the numerous tournament held in Holmdel, Atlantic City, Kean, etc to the RAC. How fun would that be?!!

Reactions: runrutgersrun
This Rumble on the Raritan may have needed some better scheduling/planning. Are they not allowing fans in for the games?? Did they schedule the right teams? They may have needed to wait until kids get back to school and are able to get excited about the games, pep rallies, etc. to get butts in seats.

I know NJ is not the HS football mecca like Fla and Tx, but right now, we're showing to be the opposite.

Good thing is......for basketball, all that is the reverse. We could definitely pack the RAC if the right matchups are scheduled at times that are conducive to fans making it to the arena.

If Coach and staff really embrace and market that idea of this region arguably being the mecca for basketball, I see recruits like Del Rosario and her AAU circuit teammate (PG)Angelica Velez(both have Bronx, NY ties), ZoeB, Hannah H, Justine P being attracted to us.

This is where those who were pretty adamant about having a Jersey person on staff made so much sense. If you're not from here, you don't have the same view and passion for the NJ/NY/Philly tradition.

That said, I love the selections for our staff. They are going to make the connections here in NJ/NY to get up to speed here in the region. I guess that's where a link to people like Tiny G, D. Karpell, M. Klinger, V. Watson, B. Mackey, etc comes in, huh?. Right Kup?

And Coach Hampton seems to be well versed in that Philly/Del region.

Last edited:
How many scholarships do we have for next year?

I wonder what the status of our recruitment of Quanirah Cherry-Montague is? The previous staff offered her. But you don't come across 6-6 in NJ often.

Reactions: RUcrazee
How many scholarships do we have for next year?

I wonder what the status of our recruitment of Quanirah Cherry-Montague is? The previous staff offered her. But you don't come across 6-6 in NJ often.
I think they lose Abby Streeter after this year which leaves 7 returners on scholarships and a slew of scholarships (8 ??) to give.

ADVERTISEMENT