ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino says charity exhibition with Rutgers will be a ‘huge test’

I guess you can say Pitino "Deion'd" the St. John's roster...

"As for St. John’s, Pitino and his staff have brought in 12 new players — including 10 transfers — retaining only big man Joel Soriano and forward Drissa Traore from Mike Anderson’s team that finished 18-15 and missed the NCAA Tournament."

Reactions: zebnatto
Who is watching our practices and reporting back to pitino ? Or is he reading this board ?

It’s just an exhibition but with the continuity your team has compared to the Johnnies it should be a romp.

Pitino IMO could have too many players .

You can sell preparing guys for the NBA all you want but being on the floor is a big part of that.

IMO 8-9 man rotations work best in college ball------he's going to have some unhappy guys who transferred there.

We'll see how it all goes.

It’s just an exhibition but with the continuity your team has compared to the Johnnies it should be a romp.
We are going to have new starters this year at the 1, 2, 3 and 4. And two of those have never played a game at RU. We don’t know what the heck to expect.

Reactions: RedTeam1994

You can sell preparing guys for the NBA all you want but being on the floor is a big part of that.

IMO 8-9 man rotations work best in college ball------he's going to have some unhappy guys who transferred there.

And the most hilarious statement that he made was that he got rid of all those players he inherited because they weren't going to class. He actually said that with a straight face 🤣

I agree, I don’t know how he will manage the rotation. Other than Soriano and Dingle, I think there could be lots of unhappy players. I am still scratching my head about why Simeon Wilcher went there. He should be playing a lot of minutes right away, but St. Johns is pretty set at both guard positions.

I agree, I don’t know how he will manage the rotation. Other than Soriano and Dingle, I think there could be lots of unhappy players. I am still scratching my head about why Simeon Wilcher went there. He should be playing a lot of minutes right away, but St. Johns is pretty set at both guard positions.
He always rotated a lot HOf guys at UofL. Doesn’t he press a lot?

He always rotated a lot HOf guys at UofL. Doesn’t he press a lot?
It’s going to be situational. The Big East has lots of teams with good guards. You aren’t going to press a Marquette or UConn without getting run off the court.

He will use many and he will press all over the court in order to try to speed you up. He will always have shooters too

Okay. But the Johnnies and Pitino just getting to know each other.
would not be shocked if Pitino treats this as a win at all costs thing
to get off to a noticeable start
I don't know if Pike will be so anal

Okay. Scratch that then.
The one thing we do have going for us over a St.John’s right now is that our culture is established. The core of our team knows they have to bring it on defense. Probably going to take some time to get the new roster connected and playing well together though.

Reactions: HallX2
The one thing we do have going for us over a St.John’s right now is that our culture is established. The core of our team knows they have to bring it on defense. Probably going to take some time to get the new roster connected and playing well together though.
And they are just getting to know each other.

We are going to have new starters this year at the 1, 2, 3 and 4. And two of those have never played a game at RU. We don’t know what the heck to expect.

Not exactly.

1 - New starter (Fernandes)
2 - Simpson started 6 games last year
3 - New starter (Griffiths)
4 - Hyatt started 17 games last year
5 - Omoruyi started 34 games last year

Overall roster, by # of games in an RU uniform:

89 - Omoruyi
66 - Hyatt
63 - Mag
48 - Palmquist
34 - Simpson