ADVERTISEMENT

Road opening losses

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Since we have a road opener at BC , We had the wins thread and now we have the losses thread .
What do people remember from some infamous road losses ?

1992 - BC . Fortay was supposed to the savior . Jersey’s own Glenn Foley said the only bowl rutgers would go to was “the one he just got off of.”

1995 - Duke - Lucas and battaglia and the team were supposed to be good . We put up a whopping 14 points and lost as the team stunk it’s way through the season that got Graber canned

2005 - Illinois . This was a tough one . We had a big lead . Ito had a rough day . Even schiano had doubts after this one . This game gave birth to the keep chopping slogan. The season turned around.

2016 - Washington . The head coaching debut of Chris Ash. I knew ash would get us smashed, but didn’t think it would take one offensive series when his team lined up to to go for it on our own 25 . Deer in headlights .

You forgot Fresno… that was a tough one.
We were 5-2 (GS / Flood era) in road openers.

As I alluded to on the other string - I pretend Ash didn’t happen for trend analysis purposes. Seeing a high school coach come in and pull things together to beat Liberty after our first string QB and RB quit on the team was truly eye opening. I consider Ash in a league of his own in terms of incompetence.

As I alluded to on the other string - I pretend Ash didn’t happen for trend analysis purposes. Seeing a high school coach come in and pull things together to beat Liberty after our first string QB and RB quit on the team was truly eye opening. I consider Ash in a league of his own in terms of incompetence.
Fresno that was a tough one in a disappointing season .
I can’t take more ash -flood comparisons . It’s sad

I was at the Duke game. Just awful. One of way too many "WTF" games by Graber teams. God-awful place to watch a game, horrible atmosphere and, IIRC, it was a brutally hot that day as well.

I was at the Duke game. Just awful. One of way too many "WTF" games by Graber teams. God-awful place to watch a game, horrible atmosphere and, IIRC, it was a brutally hot that day as well.
It was a night game if I recall . Like many games back then no tv . Was listening to Bruce and the unhappy recap

Fresno that was a tough one in a disappointing season .
I can’t take more ash -flood comparisons . It’s sad
Ash is comparable to nobody. A high school coach with no experience stepped in and showed RU nation just how bad he truly was. I honestly think you could’ve plugged any high school coach in NJ in for Ash and we would’ve won at least as many games during his era.

Fresno State was 11-2 the year we lost that game. Flood basically rode Schiano’s coat tails. Far from the first coach to do that. To me, up until the scandal year, he delivered a watered down, stagnant extension of the Schiano 1.0 era. Hence why I felt combining their performance in road openers is appropriate.

Was at that game. Paul James had a huge rushing game. Don’t blame us for going for 2 in the OT. The players were gassed.

At PSU 1984; 15-12 loss. We then went 7-2 the rest of the year, with a 19-0 win at Syracuse and a big win against WVU.

Glenn Foley, " The only bowl Rutgers is going to is the one I just got off ". Fast forward to now, how has BC's move to The ACC worked out for them as opposed to where Rutgers is now in The BIG? It would be a no brainer if we didn't have to go through The Ash Hole era, but here we are, finally with the only coach that can turn this around at this moment in time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT