ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

Wow. UPenn is cleaning up. Tons of momentum right now.

Soldano is the cornerstone of the class. If he were to go elsewhere it would be an absolute disaster. Hopefully he commits soon, I would hate for this to drag out for months.

I thought we had a decent shot with Cosgrove which is disappointing, hopefully we can get someone like Casale.

Kyonte will be wrestling for the #1 ranking at 285 at WNO.

Who's Number 1 LIVE on FloWrestling
Saturday, October 3, 2020

Match Order:
138 Shayne Van Ness vs Jordan Williams
138: Joel Vandervere vs Jesse Mendez
126: Jordan Titus vs Dean Peterson
152: Victor Voinovich vs Jagger Condomitti
285: Kyonte Hamilton vs Chase Horne
220: Kyle Hass vs Nick Feldman
145: Cody Chittum vs Wyatt Henson
195: Seth Shumate vs Tate Picklo
73 kg: Kennedy Blades vs Amit Elor
132: Nic Bouzakis vs Ryan Crookham
160: Paddy Gallagher vs Travis Mastrogiovanni
120: Richie Figueroa vs Drake Ayala
170: Alex Facundo vs Cael Valencia
138: Van Ness/Williams vs Vandervere/Mendez

Kyonte will be wrestling for the #1 ranking at 285 at WNO.

Who's Number 1 LIVE on FloWrestling
Saturday, October 3, 2020

Match Order:
138 Shayne Van Ness vs Jordan Williams
138: Joel Vandervere vs Jesse Mendez
126: Jordan Titus vs Dean Peterson
152: Victor Voinovich vs Jagger Condomitti
285: Kyonte Hamilton vs Chase Horne
220: Kyle Hass vs Nick Feldman
145: Cody Chittum vs Wyatt Henson
195: Seth Shumate vs Tate Picklo
73 kg: Kennedy Blades vs Amit Elor
132: Nic Bouzakis vs Ryan Crookham
160: Paddy Gallagher vs Travis Mastrogiovanni
120: Richie Figueroa vs Drake Ayala
170: Alex Facundo vs Cael Valencia
138: Van Ness/Williams vs Vandervere/Mendez
Now if we could somehow close Van Ness and Bouzakis...

I mentioned this is another post a few weeks back...Van Ness has eliminated us as a choice. Have not heard anything about Bouzakis.
Ugh. Not good but not surprising. Very disappointing. Where's he down to, Cornell and Princeton? UPenn entering the mix?

Updated Flo NJ P4P Rankings. Not a lot of movement other than mostly clearing out the graduating class, but this how it shook out for now.

1. Dean Peterson
2. Joey Olivieri
3. Brian Soldano
4. Evan Mougalian
5. Nico Nardone
6. PJ Casale
7. Martin Cosgrove
8. Vincent Santaniello
9. Anthony Santaniello
10. Alex Almeyda
11. Kelly Dunnigan
12. Jim Mullen
13. Joseph Cangro
14.Tyler Vazquez

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Updated Flo NJ P4P Rankings. Not a lot of movement other than mostly clearing out the graduating class, but this how it shook out for now.

1. Dean Peterson
2. Joey Olivieri
3. Brian Soldano
4. Evan Mougalian
5. Nico Nardone
6. PJ Casale
7. Martin Cosgrove
8. Vincent Santaniello
9. Anthony Santaniello
10. Alex Almeyda
11. Kelly Dunnigan
12. Jim Mullen
13. Joseph Cangro
14.Tyler Vazquez
2 of the Top 3 - not too bad...

Reactions: MS-RU
Shouldn’t that make olivieri ranked ahead of him then ?___?
Not necessarily. The match happened when they were freshmen at 106 and Peterson hasn’t lost a match since. Olivieri has lost a few here and there.

Peterson has talked in the past about bulking up and jumping multiple weight classes. It would be cool if he got to 132 and Olivieri stayed there.

As far as the rankings go, its a solid list but Mullen is far too low and Vin Santaniello should be ahead of Nardone. Aside from that, not bad.

Not necessarily. The match happened when they were freshmen at 106 and Peterson hasn’t lost a match since. Olivieri has lost a few here and there.

Peterson has talked in the past about bulking up and jumping multiple weight classes. It would be cool if he got to 132 and Olivieri stayed there.

As far as the rankings go, its a solid list but Mullen is far too low and Vin Santaniello should be ahead of Nardone. Aside from that, not bad.

Agree with both of your points....also Mougalian should not be close to #4. In my list he would be below Casale, Cosgrove, Mullen, and probably below Santaniello and Nardone.

I don’t know about that, hard to drop a kid who had an undefeated season and beat another undefeated kid in the finals.

I don’t know about that, hard to drop a kid who had an undefeated season and beat another undefeated kid in the finals.

I guess it depends on how you are ranking them.. In my rankings I am also taking previous years results, strength of schedule etc. If it is just who has best record than Mougalian should be #2? He did not qualify for states as a frosh and his schedule was not very challenging(dont want to seem like I am downplaying what he did..just my rankings). Mullen took loses at Beast, Escape the Rock and a great schedule. Casale with an insane schedule and handled the Jacobs from Paramus that everyone thought was a lock for the title. Cosgrove had one loss at the Beast, that he avenged in the semis and finished 3rd in the state as a Frosh 170lber. Just think he is way too high.

I just listened to the podcast. It seems the season is becoming more and more a mirage.
I’m not sure about that just yet. As weird as it sounds, I think wrestling is more doable than the other sports. You can easily group the kids into pods. Say 125 and 133 in pod A, 141 and 149 in B, and so on. Pods can’t interact with each other until match day. If someone tests positive, you shut down they pod. Wrestlers within that pod must produce 2 consecutive negative tests before returning.

In theory you wouldn’t have to forfeit any bouts unless a pod tests positive the day before a match.

I don’t know if the resources are available for this to be plausible though

I’m not sure about that just yet. As weird as it sounds, I think wrestling is more doable than the other sports. You can easily group the kids into pods. Say 125 and 133 in pod A, 141 and 149 in B, and so on. Pods can’t interact with each other until match day. If someone tests positive, you shut down they pod. Wrestlers within that pod must produce 2 consecutive negative tests before returning.

In theory you wouldn’t have to forfeit any bouts unless a pod tests positive the day before a match.

That may be a sensible approach given the resources are there and the test results can be timely enough. I wonder if the schools will see wrestling important enough to go to the trouble.

... Which reminds me... What is the current training environment? What does it look like, where taking place, and what precautions are in effect?
Goodale touched on this early in this Friday’s podcast. Said they were supposed to be back this weekend but football tested positive so they held back. They’re awaiting further update.

He also said there’s probably a 0% chance of wrestling before January 1. A lot depends on what football does. He also said he expects a ton of redshirts, Olympic redshirts, and gap years if there’s no fans including Rivera and Suriano. He also very clearly jokingly mentioned that if a ton of teams follow suit, he thinks Rutgers can redshirt no one and compete for the team title.

He also very clearly jokingly mentioned that if a ton of teams follow suit, he thinks Rutgers can redshirt no one and compete for the team title.
Do it, screw the asterisk next to it. Nobody pays attention to that silly little symbol anyway. All they see is the trophy and banner.:)

Weaver #19 at 160 as well.

Whoops. Good catch.

With that being said, I really hope he isn't going up to 160. He looked overmatched/undersized at 152 last year.

I love his aggressive style/nature so I'm expecting big things from him this year.

Reactions: koleszar

Interesting idea, but it won't do much because college kids will still go to parties and socialize (just look at the football team and plenty of other examples in HS and college).
Latest Flo HS Rankings

Hamilton: #10 P4P, #1 at 285
Soldano: #7 at 170
Oliveri: #8 at 138
Soldano wrestled 182 at Bison Duals. I'll be curious to see if he stays at 182 or goes 170.

Last edited:
Right, you can’t control what these kids do away from the team. The schools and conferences can put the onus on them to be responsible though. If they choose not to, then it’s their own selfishness to blame.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Soldano wrestled 182 at Bison Duals. I'll be curious to see if he stays at 182 or goes 170.
9-0 this weekend.

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Ethan Akers (N Hunterdon) Fall 1:29
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Dillon Walker (Team DE Gold) Fall 3:33
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over John Wallmark (Locos) Maj 10-1
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Parker Ferrell (Bears) Fall 3:47
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Brian Finnerty (Quest) Fall 4:12
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Isiah Reinert (Nauman Black) Fall 2:14
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Hunter Hertzog (Nauman Silver) Fall 2:54
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Porter Faulk (Beast of the East) Dec 8-2
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Colton Zimmerman (Brawlers) Fall 1:51

9-0 this weekend.

182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Ethan Akers (N Hunterdon) Fall 1:29
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Dillon Walker (Team DE Gold) Fall 3:33
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over John Wallmark (Locos) Maj 10-1
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Parker Ferrell (Bears) Fall 3:47
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Brian Finnerty (Quest) Fall 4:12
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Isiah Reinert (Nauman Black) Fall 2:14
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Hunter Hertzog (Nauman Silver) Fall 2:54
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Porter Faulk (Beast of the East) Dec 8-2
182 - Brian Soldano (Iron Horse Red) over Colton Zimmerman (Brawlers) Fall 1:51
Didn't expect anything less.

Anyone know if we’re in on James Rowley? #15 ranked 170 pounder on Flo, entering junior year. Obviously we already have Soldano but it seems like he’s going up to 182.

He had a tweet today about his national rankings today and it was liked by Goodale (who follows him as well.) Checked out his twitter feed and he has a lot of pro-Rutgers stuff, including tweets about Rivera transferring in, Suriano re-enrolling, and even a retweet from the RU Wrestling account regarding a random dual win vs Maryland

I don’t usually put a ton of stock into social media but a kid from Oregon with a lot of RU attention seems unusual.

Reactions: Leonard23
Anyone know if we’re in on James Rowley? #15 ranked 170 pounder on Flo, entering junior year. Obviously we already have Soldano but it seems like he’s going up to 182.

He had a tweet today about his national rankings today and it was liked by Goodale (who follows him as well.) Checked out his twitter feed and he has a lot of pro-Rutgers stuff, including tweets about Rivera transferring in, Suriano re-enrolling, and even a retweet from the RU Wrestling account regarding a random dual win vs Maryland

I don’t usually put a ton of stock into social media but a kid from Oregon with a lot of RU attention seems unusual.

Eleazar DeLuca is from and has a lot of stroke in Oregon.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Vin Santaniello to the Naval Academy. Kolat is going to improve their recruiting. I really thought he was a strong RU lean.

Wow. Hard to compete with a military academy if that’s the route a kid wants to go but I did not expect that.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT