ADVERTISEMENT

RU Commits & HS Season Discussion Thread

SVN decision coming soon according to his IG. Anyone think we have a shot?

Decision made over a month ago
No chance
Hopefully a future transfer as the grass is not always greener elsewhere

Hopefully it's not Princeton.. that would be absolutely devastating. Not landing a legacy and then have him go to our in-state rival.

Reactions: Leonard23
not Cornell - no more hints - let's wait for the announcement
If he goes to psu! Wait a minute, I just had a little throw up in my mouth. I'll be so disappointed in this kid just wanting to become another cog in the machine unlike the trailblazer his father was.

Yikes...unless he goes to another Ivy (UPenn) this becomes an even bigger blow because him getting an Ivy League education was always the justification for him not coming to RU. Getting a PSU or OSU degree is no different than RU and they wrestle in the same conference so...ugh

Yikes...unless he goes to another Ivy (UPenn) this becomes an even bigger blow because him getting an Ivy League education was always the justification for him not coming to RU. Getting a PSU or OSU degree is no different than RU and they wrestle in the same conference so...ugh

Ding-ding-ding.......lol

Ding-ding-ding.......lol
If it's UPenn they've become a player on the big stage ricki dickie quick. He'll wrestle in front of 50 fans but you can't beat the education and is kind of trend setting. I like that in kids who don't follow the crowd. My nephew loves living in the area of Market Street by UPenn. The other two choices, meh.

I never expected him to choose Rutgers but still feel it unfortunate. I hope he does choose a school that brings status to his degree. There are some kids that can win championships wherever they go and others that think they need the coaching of those wrestling powerhouses. Those that will never break the line-up at the powerhouses would be better off elsewhere. Those that can win anywhere are either unimaginative or desire team recognition. Rutgers still has an uphill battle to attract wrestlers that will bring the team to that elite level. Meanwhile, it will still be fun to watch.

I rather him go to Ivy League then one of the big 10 rival schools...

He is going to the school that he felt most comfortable.

All you can ask is a prospect to give RU a fair look.
Hard to argue with ANY of the choices SVN had.
I am not a big PSU fan. but the staff and the wrestlers they have turned out are incredible.
The education in IVY league is top notch.
I hope he has a successful and storied career that is topped off with Losses to Anthony Ashnault in the US open Feestyle or Olympic qualifying events 4 years from now.

Reactions: KidDagger
When he makes his announcement I will comment on the decision making process. Let SVN have his day in the sun.

Reactions: R U Crazy
Can’t wait for these comments, but seems u r not happy wit how he handled his decision making process.

I agree.

It sounds very ominous and typically in those situations it means there were some outside people (i'm guessing Blair coaches/affiliates) involved who go to great lengths to influence/drive the process.

I posted months ago that SVN eliminated us from consideration. I have not heard UPenn.....I think PSU or Michigan(unless UPENN came on in last month).
I did think we had a very good chance to land SVN, but if his father was not an RU stud, we would not have been on his list. Blair kids, Blair parents and Blair coaches look down on RU and it will always be hard to get studs from Blair. Very similar vibe from Delbarton, they feel if you pay 40K( I know some dont) for HS....we are not going to send them to RU.....
Tuff to take, but we just need to keep recruiting top notch kids and keep moving up the food chain.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Grapfan
Spot on! There is peer pressure that Blair studs feel that peers would look down on them for not choosing top Ivies or national champs.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
I posted months ago that SVN eliminated us from consideration. I have not heard UPenn.....I think PSU or Michigan(unless UPENN came on in last month).
I did think we had a very good chance to land SVN, but if his father was not an RU stud, we would not have been on his list. Blair kids, Blair parents and Blair coaches look down on RU and it will always be hard to get studs from Blair. Very similar vibe from Delbarton, they feel if you pay 40K( I know some dont) for HS....we are not going to send them to RU.....
Tuff to take, but we just need to keep recruiting top notch kids and keep moving up the food chain.
Well, we did get Trevor Melde from Delbarton.. so it’s possible... if we keep building our program the kids that wanna stay home will

Melde didn’t graduate from Delbarton. There were issues and he left Delbarton.

SVN is a unique kid and is not “ influenced” by other kids or institutional pressure. He has unique reasons for choosing his college and the reasons should be respected.

There is one specific factor that impacted his college choice. The other schools on his list did not offer the main thing he is seeking. As a scarlet knight, I am not happy with the decision. As a fan of the kid, I truly respect his thoughtful decision.

Reactions: elvis7 and obrats
Melde didn’t graduate from Delbarton. There were issues and he left Delbarton.

SVN is a unique kid and is not “ influenced” by other kids or institutional pressure. He has unique reasons for choosing his college and the reasons should be respected.

There is one specific factor that impacted his college choice. The other schools on his list did not offer the main thing he is seeking. As a scarlet knight, I am not happy with the decision. As a fan of the kid, I truly respect his thoughtful decision.
Is the “one main thing” something you can elaborate on after he announces his choice?

The family did not want him local as to not be influenced or available to friends, relatives, etc which ruled Princeton and RU out.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
The family did not want him local as to not be influenced or available to friends, relatives, etc which ruled Princeton and RU out.
Don’t wanna tell someone how to parent....but that just sounds ridiculous. Completely.

Ok if you wanna rule out Rutgers for that reason fine, like I very much disagree but alright whatever. But Princeton?!? Dude...

This screams “most of his friends/cousins are bad apples that would influence him to drink and do drugs.” Which, if that’s the case, he’ll just make new friends like that wherever he goes.

You can’t tell people how to feel or think. Dad did not want to tell him where to go because if he did and the young man was not happy he did not want it on his head.

Yeah, wow...that's odd for sure. It's typically something you see when people come from a bad situation and have a lot of negative influences in their life constantly dragging them down... sometimes distance does everyone good. Certainly didn't expect that with SVN.

We were in it with Cornell, PU, and the 3 Big Tens—OSU, Michigan and PSU. PU and RU were then dropped with the 4 left. Parents can think and act how they feel for their kids. We have no right to question family history or dynamics. In the end SVN made the decision on what he felt so now how happy or successful he will be is on him. I feel RU would have presented him more long term opportunities and mentoring but sometimes that next 5-10 years does not weigh heavily in an 18 year old’s decision. I love the young man and his family and hope he makes it big except when he wrestles an RU boy.

Agreed. Under no circumstance can I pull for him going forward. If he went anywhere else I would have wished him well in all of his matches except against RU. I hope he gets healthy but that's about it.

With that being said, I don't think we will see him wrestle for a few years so it will be out of sight, out of mind for a while. He is injured this year and I'm sure PSU will make him take a gap year as well.

He is going to the school that he felt most comfortable.
What made him most comfortable? Did he take an OV there? How about unofficial visits?
You can’t tell people how to feel or think. Dad did not want to tell him where to go because if he did and the young man was not happy he did not want it on his head.
Odd to tell him where he couldn't go, but wouldn't tell him where to go...
When he makes his announcement I will comment on the decision making process. Let SVN have his day in the sun.
Any more info to share? Thanks.

What was that one specific factor?

It was something that wasn't available at his other choices. It was the most important thing he was looking for. It is Shayne's choice to discuss or not to discuss. There was no way the opportunity he sought was available at the other schools.

It was something that wasn't available at his other choices. It was the most important thing he was looking for. It is Shayne's choice to discuss or not to discuss. There was no way the opportunity he sought was available at the other schools.
Now I'm even more intrigued, but he's not on here so...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT